Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Frederick Christian Ulbrich III

1. I expect to be here for a long time.

Current Employee - Inside Sales in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in North Haven, CT

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, never boring, something new everyday, stable environment, good mix of white and blue collar workforce

Cons

Would like more vacation...but who wouldn't

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work....Best job I've ever had.

2. Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively friendly coworkers, steady job security, and extremely easy hours. No need to feel stressed about getting everything done in one day. Very little sense of urgency when it comes to making big business decisions. Family company but also comes with the glaring negatives of such..

Cons

Management was completely out of touch with the shop & the inside staff. Constant yet subtle resentment between middle management and lower level staff. Compensation was just plain sad, no hope of getting promoted unless you're family. With the money upper management spends on dinners and outings you would think long term employees would be treated with more than bagels every other month. A revolving door which must be a nightmare for HR. One of the few companies who've lost more employees than they've gained over the last couple years due to low pay and low morale.

Advice to Management

Trash the "old boy network". We all know you're running a 90 year old company but it's not going to thrive unless you get with the times and hire some non-family executives. Compensate your employees; no one is impressed with <50k/year. Try to motivate your employees to do their best, offer much more competitive compensation for achievements and you'll notice a boost in morale. It's not rocket science.

3. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals

Pros

The Ulbrich family treats you as one of their own. They are very generous and want you to excel within the organization

Cons

Work force is ageing. Need younger, energetic prospects to excel business in the future.

5. Love my job!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in North Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in North Haven, CT

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals

Pros

I am fortunate to work for two great bosses. Both different, so they balance each other out nicely. I am able to do a variety of different tasks and it never gets boring. Ulbrich is very family oriented. So, when it comes to your children, they always work around whatever comes up. I never feel like I can't attend something for my kids. They always make me feel like that comes first and we figure it out!

Cons

Very quiet in the Corporate office building. Sometimes it is hard to focus when it is too quiet.

6. Great company!

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to run my department
    Willing to invest in new processes
    Feels like top management respects the employees
    Good benefits plan

Cons

Training - not sure what is available for professional development. The company could create and publish training opportunities, then allow employees to apply.

7. Engineering and production in Westminister

Current Employee - Technical Engineering in Westminster, SC
    Current Employee - Technical Engineering in Westminster, SC

Pros

Very good operators and Supervisors

Cons

Very poor management (director or operations) put safety behind production said " he was not stopping production for safety issues" luckily he is gone but so are some other very good people. Too many favorites and the ole boy system. Always walking on egg shells.

Advice to Management

Top management needs to pay attention to what is going on on the floor.

Nov 17, 2014Human Resources Coordinator

We are always working to get better.

8. Like family

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Westminster, SC
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Westminster, SC

I worked at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the Westminster, SC facility for a short time. Everyone there was incredibly welcoming. The training I received was adequate for me to excel quickly in my position. Furthermore, I felt the compensation I was given was fair. People there spoke about the Ulbrich family as if they felt they really cared about the company and their employees.

Cons

There was some shifting in organizational roles while I was there. It was my understanding that the supervisor previously over my department was a terror. I may have just been lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Nov 17, 2014Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your kind words.

9. Inside Sales

Former Employee - Inside Sales in North Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in North Haven, CT

Pros

The people in the company are very good people and create a pleasant work environment. The Ulbrich's do take a genuine interest in their employees.

Cons

Sales department is very disorganized. Training at the sales desk level is non existent. One is left to figure it out. Then later told you are not meeting metrics set forth for the department. None of this discussed in "training". No feedback given within first 90 days (good or bad). Only at review was anything discussed.

Advice to Management

Provide feedback throughout the initial 90 day probationary period. If something is done wrong, address it right away. Do not wait for 90 day review to address problems. Your communication really sucks.

10. Glad they made management changes

Former Employee - Process Engineering in Westminster, SC
    Former Employee - Process Engineering in Westminster, SC

I worked at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals

Pros

Very good bonus system. Very good people (Operator and Supervisors) They would do anything for you.

Cons

Senior and Corporate level management very good but out of touch with plant level leadership.Plant or factory level management showed favoritism and "The good old boy network" did not treat everyone fairly. No concern for safety. Very poor communications and no advancement opportunity.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people on the floor. They are making the money for the company. Pay attention to what the Plant Manager/Director of Operations is doing.

11. I couldn't ask for a better employer

I have been working at Ulbrich Stainless Steels & Special Metals full-time

Pros

The Ulbrichs take a genuine interest in the people who work for them. They appreciate the work everyone puts into their jobs. Everyone is treated as part of a family and the owners are extremely generous with their sponsorship of activities and charities. Job stability/security is very high, as is the importance of work/life balance.

Cons

Unfortunately due to the nature/structure/size of the business, there are few opportunities for growth. It seems that employees plateau for long stretches of time, which can lead to complaceny.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the shop floor at the various locations. Become more directly involved in the ERP project. Encourage more of an open door policy.

Nov 17, 2014Human Resources Coordinator

We're glad to hear your feedback!

RSS Feed </> Embed