Uline

Be The First To
Add Photos

Uline CEO Dick Uihlein

Dick Uihlein

Pros:
  • "Great Benefits are offered to employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Benefits are excellent and profit sharing/performance bonus at year end"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Culture, management, dress code, no employee retention strategies"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Micro management style; must have learned management from Kim Jong Il"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Micromanagement to the nth degree!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Waukegan, IL

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than a year

ProsYearly bonus and profit sharing. Great co-workers. Everyone they hire has a type A personality. So if that's you, you'll meet some great friends.

ConsMicromanaged, no independence, invasion of personal space, searching of personal drawers, limit of personal items in cubicle.

Micromanaging headquarters

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Uline full-time for more than a year

ProsThe hours are good and the pay is very competitive, especially with less experience than usually needed.

ConsThey completely micromanage, there is absolutely no privacy, they record every phone call & every email, they call all your accounts & ask about your job performance weekly, and they are a complete boys club.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to hire employees you trust & stop letting go of those who are doing well but not following your specific way of doing things.

Fantastic Internship

Accounting Intern (Former Employee)
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I worked at Uline as an intern for less than a year

ProsThey treat employees unbelievably well, with great amenities and family atmosphere.
Interns are allowed work on real projects that impact daily business operations.

ConsIt's in the middle of a less than exciting area so you have to travel at least 40 miles for any legitimate fun.

NiceVeryNno

Sales (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Uline full-time for more than a year

ProsGood compensation and benefits. Nice people to work with. I enjoyed my time there

ConsNot a whole lot of room for advancement. If you are in sales, you stay in sales

The Sales Position Experience

Sales (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCount on being micromanaged 110%. This can be helpful to help perfect yourself as a rep. Also, there are plenty of tests you will take to help in narrowing down product acknowledge. The main focus as a sales rep is growth like any other company. Trying to get more sales. Honestly, you are measured upon growth by visiting the customer once or twice a year. Listening, taking notes, touring the warehouse is the key to a successful customer visitation. Encountering an opportunity to ride with management is going to happen once a month+. Everything you knew and learned in the past need to be put aside.. it's now the Uline way! Never question authority, or anyone in management. The rules are the rules and they have been placed for a reason and set forth since 1989. The pay is great with end of year bonus. Most territory sales reps make $50,000 to $70,000 salary. There is a raise annually. Courteous customers, and that is what is great about the job. Lots of nice customers. Keeping all your notes from your customer scheduled appointment is required and will be annotated on a company issued device. You definitely need to cross all your T's and dot all your I's. On your call sheets you need to use commas in the correct places. You'll be O.K. Instantly, you will be notified if you did something wrong. This helps you be a better worker. Stay on task and you will be fine. You will learn AS400. Most reps come from Enterprise RAC. Be diligent, quote customers every night, don't slack, and you will see growth in your area!! All appointments are to be set when you come to the office every Monday. 25 appts/week. Dialing in to your customer and sometimes having management listen in to your phones calls is a must. Like I said micromanagement is going to happen and that is what everyone is meaning when they say Uline micromanages. If you can put up with all of this you will be fine here. Another Pro is that the company is growing, opening in Mexico, Canada, and moving into Europe some day. Business is growing, and "yes" super amazing Uline is still FAMILY MANAGER owned, managed and operated by the family members. Great Ownership!

ConsAlways with the feeling uneasiness. Having the fear of losing your job. You fear Mondays due to the possibility of encountering loads of paper on your desk with grammatical errors you made in your call notes waiting for corrections. Fear of making a comment that may look or seem too bizarre. Visiting customers once is sad where is customer to rep relationships. Driving your own car. Car allowance is o.k., but it takes weeks to get the first car allowance check. Unfortunately, no flexibility to cold call whom ever the reps feel will bring in business. reps have to see certain size, SIC Code, and dollar potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementEasy on the micromanagement. Lighten the grammatical correction work load to correction needs on these call sheets. Give the sales rep more pat on the backs. Realize that the sales reps are a valuable asset. The economy is only going to get better and when it does Uline will lose a lot of sales reps. Lots of turn over due to the feelings of inadequacy by poor management.

Great starting point in your career

I have been working at Uline

ProsWork stays at work, never bring it home. Benefits are excellent and profit sharing/performance bonus at year end.

ConsMICRO management at the ut-most. I cannot stress this enough. Everything is monitored.

Definite Ups and Downs.

UPS Picker/Packer (Current Employee)
Breinigsville, PA

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe end of the year bonuses are the only thing that has kept me with the company. There are occasionally pluses with the company i.e. BBQ's and other small things. Also....when it is at least 90 outside they give you one free Gatorade. Today, it was 89 outside, you guessed it, no Gatorade. Even though it is over 100 in warehouse. Also, great job if you want to be away from your family....perfect job for anybody that hates there wife.

ConsManagement is the biggest Con. They should all be lawyers because when asked a question, they do everything but answer it.

Management is never on the same page with each other, one manager will say "this is the right way" and the next manager will say "he doesn't know what he is talking about, this is the right way"

You are a number. Managers will literally not know certain peoples name, but will know there employee number.

"occasional overtime" should be changed to "Daily Overtime".

The new hire start rate is constantly increasing, but the people who have been there don't see any of that. I have gotten the standard raise each year for the 3 years I have been here, and I am making .27 cents more then somebody off the streets. It is rediculous.

I might be running out of "allowed characters" so I am going to stop here. But the list can go a whole lot longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee suggestions.
Be Open Minded
Don't be afraid of change.
When a change to the "Uline Way" makes sense, speak up about it and make something happen

Pyongyang culture in Pleasant Prairie

I have been working at Uline

ProsHighly disciplined, value focus, customers win

ConsMicromanagement run amok, control over-kill

Advice to Senior ManagementYou would be welcome as advisors to Kim Jong Un, but the pay would not suffice.

Concentration camp

Pleasant Prairie, WI

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay and benifits ,,,,is it worth it

Conseverything else, camera's, computer monitoring, Managers are part of the gestapo

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a back bone and say what you think, not what the owner wants to here

Nice place to work as associate with good compensation

Warehouse Associate (Current Employee)
Buford, GA

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood compensation and benefits
Good culture & values

ConsNo career advancement for colored people

Worked for Uline? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uline reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Uline CEO Dick Uihlein. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Uline employees.