Uline

Be The First To
Add Photos

Uline CEO Dick Uihlein

Dick Uihlein

Pros:
  • "Great Benefits are offered to employees"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Yearly bonus and profit sharing"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Ridiculous dress code for this day and age (men must wear ties, women must wear pantyhose, and skirts not above a certain length)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Micro management style; must have learned management from Kim Jong Il"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Interviewed

General Warehouse (Current Employee)
Buford, GA

I have been working at Uline full-time for less than a year

ProsThey are proficient and know exactly what they are looking for! Overall good experience. Took two tests and a short interview with HR.

ConsSeemed short!.!. However, got a call for a second interview! I will post results later.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great pay, quirky owners

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay (hard to find comparable pay at other companies), great benefits (medical, dental, vision)

ConsBranch level management needs leadership training, the quirky owner (wife) has strange expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees more. Offer ACTUAL ANONYMOUS opportunities for employees to express their concerns without fearing repercussion from their manager(s).

Warehouse

Warehouse Management Trainee (Former Employee)
Waukegan, IL

I worked at Uline full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Benefits are offered to employees

ConsHard to Advance out of the department you are in

Great growing company that lacks any sense of direction.

General Warehouse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Uline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay, health insurance, days off.

ConsMicromanagement, double work. high expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to employees they have more to offer.

Hires Robots

Buford, GA

I have been working at Uline full-time for less than a year

ProsPay and bonuses are great.

ConsYou are not allowed to think for yourself. You are given a list telling you how many pictures you can have on your wall, how many items you can display on your desk, and what personal items you can have inside (yes, inside) your desk drawer. Inspections are done regularly to make sure you are in compliance. All cubicles must be situated the same (i.e., placement of phones and computers). Do exactly what you're told and you will do fine. Management is totally afraid of the owners.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't manage by fear.

Communist Culture

Finance (Former Employee)
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I worked at Uline full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe new building in Pleasant Prairie was nice.

ConsThe Cons are as follows:
- Strict Dress Code.
- Salaried Employees are required to punch in and out. Your hours are monitored and your
  bonus is based on this. So sit around and hang out to rack up the hours.
- Management is not on the same page.
- Micromanagement, this place takes it to a whole new level.
- Look up the lawsuits on this place. If you have been there for a long time they will protect
  you.
- Strict policies on what can be in your cube (3 personal pictures and a tasteful calendar). No
  eating allowed at your desk either.
- Management is set on their ways. Change does not happen unless it is their idea. This
  place still operates on AS400 Green Screens and Green Bar Reports. The warehouses
  does not use scanners. It's like the 1980s.
- Growth opportunity is limited as there is a log jam at the middle management level.
- They promote hiring from within, however when the time comes to hire they look externally
   rather than internally.
- The test you take during the interview process weigh heavily on if you get hired. People
   have not been hired because of their personality type results from the Myers Briggs test.
- Plan on spending your Fridays cleaning your cubicle as the owner does desk
  checks on the weekend.
- The owners force their political views on their employees and customers. Just look at their
  catalogs.
- HR posts fake reviews on sites like this to increase their overall score.
- The reports and memos that are published are just an exercise. Change will not come from
  them. It really is all about publishing reports/memos.
- I don't think management knows what value add is.
- Don't question management or try to do things differently, it won't go well for you.
- Management has been known to review user internet activity, drop in on call center
  employee calls unannounced, and check employees desks for food.
- Many fear they will be fired and it is not a great work environment to be in. Management
  manages with fear.

Pretty much stay away from this place if you can. Management wonders why turnover is high but does not listen to their employees. They hire a lot of young people out of college that do not know any better.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a $5 Billion Company start acting like one.

Cult.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Waukegan, IL

I worked at Uline full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat bonuses, including weekly cash bonuses for achieved revenue goals. Everyone hired is a 'type A' personality, so you will likely make a lot of friends in the office.

ConsRampant micromanagement; little opportunity for merit based promotions; management spends more time spying on your internet usage or emails than actually managing; sexist dress code policy, including women not being able to choose whether they wear pantyhose or tights, and management checking if you pant suit pieces match brands; no opportunity for creativity, every policy or procedure is literally documented to death; the president Liz is a business dictator; you are limited to the number of 'personal items' you can have in your desk, and management will go through your desk drawers looking for "contraband" whenever they like.

This company will ruin your enjoyment of Hall and Oates forever!

Advice to Senior ManagementShut up about being more exclusive than Harvard, YOU'RE NOT MORE EXCLUSIVE THAN HARVARD! How pathetic; apparently no one there has ever met a Harvard grad...

Relax policies for dress code; business professional is archaic for everyday wear unless you are an attorney, consultant, etc., particularly when customers are never allowed to visit the facility.

Stop making your employees feel like they are in prison during working hours. Allow some personality and creativity, even if it is the dress code or desk decorations!

Get rid of Liz and her OCD, it's exhausting to even think about.

Stop sending out GOP propaganda to employees.

it was a Very good experience

Intern (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Uline as an intern for less than a year

Prosthere are real opportunity for growth

Consnothing really, all was fine

Advice to Senior Managementnothing really

Conformity is key to success

CS (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Uline full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary is competitive and bonuses are fair

ConsCulture, management, dress code, no employee retention strategies

Blind Faith

Velocity Manager (Former Employee)
Allentown, PA

I worked at Uline full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced and focused. If you want a work environment that does not rest, where the focus is clearly on the customer, all day, every day, you can't really beat Uline.

ConsWhile it's hard to argue "why" it should be done the way the original owners (who have built the Company from humble beginnings to it's nearly US $3BB (yes, that's billion) in sales revenues) want it done; if you absolutely can NOT stand to be completely estranged of any decision making whatsoever, this is not the place to build your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are truly seeking to position this Company for legitimate succession, enable those who are capable to make decisions they own and can build upon.

Worked for Uline? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Uline reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Uline CEO Dick Uihlein. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Uline employees.