Ullico

Add Photos

Ullico CEO Edward M. Smith

Edward M. Smith

Sales

ProsGreat benefits with good work life balance.

ConsLack of management direction and experience. Very little team effort.

Good experience, to a point

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsSpecialty, niche player. It was fun to focus on a small slice of the market. And most employees agreed it was valuable work to deliver insurance and protection products to the union and municipality workplaces. Employees felt good about what we did.

ConsMany Ullico men who did not respect women.. It is possible to be a woman and work there, and be somewhat successful, but it is difficult at best..

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace diversity.

3.5

Prosgood benefit, HR is good. good life work balance. people are nice.

Conslow salary, not much career growth opportunity. mangement is so so.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well Balanced!

Senior Underwriter (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe work/life balance is unmatched.

ConsThe market niche has a cap because the company's target market are the labor unions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour vision for the company is spot on and the company will continue to grow.

Company is losing money by the boat load, very weak management, employees are all "lifers"

Consultant (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsRegular workers are nice
    Relaxed environment
    Lots of challenges
    Many problems to solve (fire drills)
    Lots of incompetence makes good employees look great!

ConsManagement is lost and clueless, they have no understanding of the business
    Workers do the job that they're told to do but don't know why they are doing it
    Competent folks get dumped on

Advice to Senior ManagementMake managers accountable for understanding the business and then require that they share that knowledge with the workers. Listen to the folks that understand the business...

not the easiest place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit's an interesting environment union focused and union owned, with mostly good people. the senior management team was really trying to improve this company, despite the uphill battle.

Consunion orientation. while i won't say unions are bad institutions, much of the unflattering stereotypes seem to be based in truth. the politics can be overwhelming - internal and external.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep pressing on. the company came a long way in the last 5 years, but it still has a long way to go to be a great company.

Union Support Mission Hijacked

Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) Silver Spring, MD

ProsTheir mission. Helping union workers is an admirable reason to be in business.

ConsThe union leadership gets way too many perks over the rank and file members. They are afforded claim payments that "normal" members don't get. Senior management has been overhauled recently, but is still too bloated and full of friends of friends. The top spot is a hold over from the "Enron" like scandal that was uncovered in 2002.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company was founded to support the efforts of union members to get and maintain affordable health coverage, life insurance, and financial stability that their employers refused to grant them. They are the only people that should be served, not the leaders of those organizations that are enriching themselves at the expense of those memebers.

Very uptight.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent salaries and great benefits.

ConsNo HR or Management confidentiality.

Sales Exec

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Union Company that believes in offering better services to it's union members.

ConsLack of direction and a lot of turnover and change during my tenure. Lack of management direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining programs that build and develop the skills of employees would greatly benefit this firm.

Ullico, ok. Law Department, not so much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have great benefits, good time off and a nice location in DC. They have nice offices, blackberries and laptops for most people and free coffee if the kitchens.

ConsThe management in the law department is insane. Ultra passive-aggressive, and totally delusional about the fact that they run a department full of unhappy people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say that getting rid of the Corporate Compliance Officer who is the quintessential office bully would be a good start.

Worked for Ullico? Contribute to the Community!