Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position(in 50 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions(in 42 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income(in 38 reviews)

54 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Co-Manager

Co-Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFree products and good work environment

ConsOutdated systems and doesn't allow store management any control of inventory.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your store management have more control of the merchandise flow.

Great people to work for and with

Esthetician (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

ProsThere's a great team effort attitude here. No feeling of competition between employees, they're all willing to jump in and help each other

ConsIt can take a long time to build up a clientele, in the meantime pay and hours are low

If you feel the need to have a salon in your retail environment, educate yourself on running a salon.

Salon Manager (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

Pros25% discount

Gratis though you may have to deal with LP after receiving it

100% discount in salon for salon professionals IF there is time for you to receive a service

ConsWaiting 20 minutes to be walked out

Feeling like you've joined a cult...Team Culta

Having a GM that lies to cover their own lies

Being talked at instead of talked to...
    DM communicates with GM only and all other managers are replaceable since the GM is going to say what they want to say, it will always be your word against theirs

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some amazing talent just slipping through your fingers. Give your salon staff more credit since we do completely different services than selling retail, we sell ourselves and our talent. Many of us put our blood, sweat and tears into our careers and clients yet we will always be just a number you (an SAP #). Give your SM's the same access to upper management as your GM's. If you did, you'd realize many of your GM's do not belong in their position. As a salon professional I should not have to worry about the retail side doing their job properly. If LP was doing their job, I shouldn't have to worry about shrink since I'm busy STANDING BEHIND THE CHAIR. Since LP is watching cameras all day they should realize how incompetate their retail side is.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dream job but poor people management

Marketing (Former Employee) Bolingbrook, IL

ProsI learned so much from my VP that recruited me. I enjoyed working with top talent people and vendors. The benefits package was great but the other compensation lacked as the company grew.

ConsGrowth happened so fast and IPO ambitions were so dominant they forgot people drove the performance and lost great people because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople drive the progress appreciate them and stop the turnover.

General Manager

General Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosbenefits, products, gratis, growing company

Consupper management, inventory levels especially of sale products, inconsistent leadership, lack of payroll to truly service the guest

Advice to Senior Managementturnover for management is high in the Chicago market; take a look at your DMs for leadership skills

Nice enviroment, great employee discounts

Esthetician (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEmployee discounts, training and education

Conslack of marketing of spa and salon services, little sales commission on retail products for spa employees. No measurable direction

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease commission to drive revenue, income potential for employee. Need more agressive marketing campaigns for Ulta Spa treatments (facials, waxing...etc...)

Fun place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bloomingdale, IL

ProsFun place to work! Great for people who like to interact and enjoy helping others choose beauty related products. Excellent discount.

ConsLong hours on the feet. Scheduling not always consistent. There can be a lack of information regarding current products and new products coming in.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining could be better and continued training. Communicate when products are changing packaging or when new products are coming in to keep employees informed. Have a mini training session. A few minutes every shift...make the time to help an employee sell more.

The best thing was the 25% discount.

General Manager (Former Employee) Montgomery, IL

ProsOne of the worst jobs ever! Ulta will not pay their employees enough money to retain qualified people to work in this environment, always short handed by the weekend, because of the last minute payroll cuts. The stock was never merchandised properly, because of payroll cuts. So many shop lifters and Ulta will not pay for security, yet they expect all employees to carry a plastic bag in and out of the store. You must be "bag checked" by a manger in front of the camera before exiting the building. This includes waiting after you have logged out for your 30 minute "meal time" while there is one manager on duty, who has a line of 25 "guests" waiting pay for their products. If you are lucky and they manager is not in a bad mood, she will try to step away from the register to "bag check" you while the guests are stuffing products from the grab and go into their purses. I have never seen anything so unprofessional in my life. I do not think it was just the location I was at either. Too many vendor's said it was like that at every location. It is called the Ulta curse.

ConsIt is impossible to complete a days work because you never have a full staff, even on weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit being so greedy. Stop the last minute pay cuts, Promote from with in, rather than going the Old Navy or Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Good small place to work

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork life balance is good

ConsSmall company; growing up faster.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow faster :)

WORST PLACE EVER WORKED IN MY LIFE

Generalist (Current Employee) Bolingbrook, IL

ProsNew CEO. But like any new employee, check back in 2-3 years. It takes every normal person that much time to acclimate to a new position either way to see what realistically will stick - good or bad. NO OTHER PROS.

ConsEmployees who have been there a long time are dead weight. They have no work ethic, no ethics period, and there are no values at this organization. All Fat, and lazy. Eat too much and on the internet all day.
    This place is stuck and will not be around long. Will be eaten up by Sephora or another competitor because it will implode if the new CEO can't get all the management aligned and on down the food chain. What is the saying- it stinks from the top? The stink has gone from the top to the bottom and they love the way it smells..... it must be the ULTA FRAGRANCE OF CHOICE.... STINK.... DON'T go here for about 2-3 years unless you are going to be homeless.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook up ethics, values and work ethics in the dictionary.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!