Ulta Beauty
www.ulta.com Bolingbrook, IL 5000+ Employees

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Mary Dillon

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount on product as well as salon services"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Good discount on salon services"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hours are cut if sales are down, which is unfair if sales have little to nothing to do with you"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store"
    in 35 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

nice place to work

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Proscompany gives a real feeling of importance to its staff.

Consthe hours , typical retail. must take good with bad.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Pretty good job

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

ProsLove getting a discount! It's usually a fun environment. It's retail, so of course crazy customers sometimes, but over all low stress and fun.

ConsIt all depends on who you work with, but that's everywhere you go. We have had good bosses and bad, but overall the company is good to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the marketing materials are really confusing to customers! And then they get mad at the cashier like we wrote it! I think upper management should spend more time in stores to see what things are really like. Also, if you want higher NPS scores, you should allow for more payroll.

Great management, hours, and products

Task/Cashier/Prestige Sales (Former Employee)
Anderson, SC

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

ProsThey carry so many brands across yhe board...there's a product for everyone who enters Ulta's doors. Managment is great, offer very flexible work hours. Working at Ulta keeps you updated on all the newest products, brands, tips, trends, and techniques.

ConsNot many advancement opportunities, and the employees don't operate as a family unit, although they are all hard workers.professionally. many of the tasks were difficult to complete due to unclear instructions, and there was a lot of "busy work."

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on team building

Not Enough Payroll for Expectations

General Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgood pay, great benefits, products in variety for the guests

Consnot enough payroll to complete adequate training on all the products in order to make all the associates knowledgable, payroll not provided for tasks or cashiers, and district level management not transparent or always trustworthy depending on situation

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees as you would like to be treated; be honest and transparent; provide payroll so that managers can train their associates and have adequate cashiers for guests; speak with DMs about their roles in the store - such as to manage the GMs, not necessarily to micro manage the whole store or managers

Look elsewhere...Sephora perhaps?

Lead Cashier (Current Employee)
Union Gap, WA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat customers
Employee Discount
Fun atmosphere
Awesome people to work with (not including GM)

ConsGeneral Manager!!!
District Manager (best friends with our GEM -_-)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful who you put in charge of your hard working employees.

A waste of time

Esthetician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

ProsYour around make up and skin care

ConsHorrible management, Never had what I needed for my back bar.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a social skills class.

Inadequate mangmt, horrible hours and pay, no commission

Lead Cashier (Former Employee)
Fayetteville, GA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCo workers, until everyone started quitting, discount

ConsEverything else you can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard work and determination of some of your employees, and stop hiring ppl just because you know and not because they're qualified!

They don't invest enough time into the associates

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

ProsFor full time the medical benefits are good. The discount is good twice a year you get almost 50% off. If you have a good GM then you might like it.

ConsNo training for anyone other than managers so everyone has to learn "on the job" which can be really frustrating. Corporate will send out secret deals to customers but we wont have any of the product in store so customer are angry. Corprate does all the ordering but they stopped having us do out of stocks so they never send the product we are out of. Raises are laughable, I would have been less insulted if they wouldn't have given me one. They have rules written in black and white and tell you to follow them but when customer complains about you following rules they tell you that you were in the wrong and should have broken the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want the stores to be sucessful cashiers need to have better training. You can't expect good results from them getting thrown on the register their first shift. Make sure that the people you have in Prestige are qualified and know how to sale if you are going to increase sales goals by 20% every year.

poor management of hrs for esthetician

Esthetician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty for more than a year

Prosdiscounts are ok for employees are descent , employees working in salon hair services are at no cost

Consnot enough promotions for esthetician, all employees don't get same discount, no commission on all retail products

Meh.

Prestige Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros- Occasional gratis
- Occasional training
- Employee Discount
- Friendly coworkers

Cons- Poor management
- Low hourly pay
- Inconsistent hours
- Lack of movement ( I got a sideways promotion and took on more duties, but no additional pay)
- Lack of consistent training and gratis
- Constantly being called away from my actual job as a makeup artist and consultant to handle register
- Store doesn't look professional or like it carries luxury brands, cheap fixtures and bad layout.

Advice to Senior Management- Pay your employees better. I'm a Prestige Consultant, highly trained in luxury brands of color, skincare and fragrance (though most of that training came from my background and personal research than from your store), one of only a few at my location, and I make 9 dollars an hour. It would be more profitable for me to be a simple cashier at Sephora (11 an hour). I have the product knowledge and sales capabilities that you want in your employees, but you don't seem to care about giving me incentive to stay with the company.

- Train more often and give gratis instead of dangling the promise of it like a carrot in front of my face. You should want me to be the best at my job, so give me the tools to make me that happen.

- Hire more cashiers at your locations or increase your budget. I can't do my job to make sales when I'm being called as backup to the register every ten minutes.

- People buying luxury goods want to have a luxury experience, so upgrade your store organization and fixtures. I had a new client last week who thought we were a discount makeup store "like Walmart."

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon. All 580 reviews posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees.