Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount on product as well as salon services"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Good discount on salon services"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions"
    in 41 reviews
  • "You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This is a fast growing company with much to look forward to.

Deployment Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits start the day your hired and room for advancement will make working for Ulta worth your time.

ConsThere are strong values overall but morale as a whole could be negative at times. A simple fix would be more competitive wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the job functions below your pay grade with more admiration for the big picture.

Typical retail experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Hunt Valley, MD

ProsAccess to makeup during shift, gratis items, establishing relationships with coworkers, discount on products and services at the salon, interacting with customers

ConsLow pay, poor management within store, rotating shifts, salon and prestige staff frequently did not stock their departments leaving customer service reps to do so

Best Hairstylist Opportunities

Senior Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsCommission based salon, great health benefits. Many advancement opportunities. Always providing advanced education to designers

ConsIts corporate, so at times somethings fall through the cracks. sometimes too many things going at once

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive reinforcement always works better than negativity

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of possibilites

ProsRoom to advance, encouraging environment, pay is good compared to our competition. Love the gratis! Love working with the customers. For the most part a good work-life balance.

ConsUlta needs to consider what cutting hours is doing to their bottom line. No sales people on the floor means that good customers are walking out dissatisfied. Cutting hours in your prestige department is taking sales away from the company. People want and like customer service. So many people are leaving there frustrated and empty handed. Cutting hours also causes Ulta to lose good employees. Managers are often over worked and left alone to do too many tasks that they will never get done or that causes them to lack in their customer service.
     Ulta also needs to revisit their ideas about what training their employees on new products does for their sales. They have basically taken that away from us and I can definitely see a difference in sales because of it.
     Just a few simple things to tweek and this would be a 5 star company to work for. Isn't really all about the customer in the end? I think Ulta is forgetting that.

Advice to Senior ManagementConvey to upper management how cutting hours is hurting the business!

Slightly intimidating but overall loved the managers!

Prestige Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsFun and welcoming environment. You learn new things everyday. There's always something new going on and it's never dull. You meet lots of people and are able to network.

ConsVery fast paced. Have to multi task a lot! It can be a bit draining and overwhelming if you're new to retail / customer service.

Outstanding

Prestige Lancome (Current Employee)

ProsNeed more cross training from vendors. I wish there were more benefits for part-timers as far as vacation pay earned.

ConsPleasant atmosphere and work-life balance. There is lots of room for growth and moving up with the company. There are goals but they are easily met. We have an awesome team of 3 at our counter and work together and help each other grow, we have lots of experience in cosmetics that make up successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the outstanding work

Okay if you're not in school

Merchandise & Service Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounted beauty products.
    Occasional gratis.
    Decent pay.
    Good introductory management position (MSC).
    Growing company, always opening new stores, plenty of opportunities if you're willing to re-locate.

ConsVery little training.
    Really high turnover.
    Dress code.
    Open ALL holidays excluding Christmas day, but that is "under review" for this coming holiday season.
    Understaffed, but no payroll allotted to fix it.
    Crazy hours as a merchandise & service coordinator (merchandise manager). Nights until midnight-2AM followed by early mornings at 7AM. This is not a position for anyone in school or with another job, the hours are just too crazy.
    Always out of high-demanded product, there's no way to order specific things we KNOW we need.
    EXTREMELY OLD COMPUTER SYSTEMS! POS and scanners are from the '90s. They make simple tasks extremely difficult.
    Gave cashiers and regular beauty advisors more hours than me - that's ridiculous as a manager.

Great place to work

Salon Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFriendly environment!!!!!! Face of beauty... Upper management is willing to help you understand your goals.... Training is terrific... Happy place to work

ConsA lot of product knowledge to remember... not necessarily a bad thing just a lot.... Super fast environment. hard to find a con

Advice to Senior Managementproduct training for salon staff

Potential is there but difficult to achieve

Stylist (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsIt's a good job if you are busy with clients otherwise it's not worth it. You need to make a certain amount of sales to make commission otherwise it's $9 an hour. Hours are very limited on top of this even if you are busy. Management and staff at my salon are excellent

ConsLimited hours, commission driven environment, a lot expected for little return.

Wonderful Place to Work!

Benefit Arch Expert (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsFantastic Gratis
    Great Managers
    Potential to make thousands in tips per month
    Room for movement
    Excellent Brand Training

ConsCorporate doesn't really care about the employees
    Very strict rules that change frequently
    Confusing changes to the POS and Ulta Rewards system frequently made customers unhappy
    Expect you to bend over backwards to pick up when other employees slack off

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon. All 652 reviews posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees.