Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position(in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions(in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income(in 39 reviews)

fun atmosphere, terrible pay

Aesthetician (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

Prosgreat perks from vendors, good discounts, fun atmosphere, many trainings, interacting with customers

Consminimum wage, hard to move up positions, no respect from managers, high turnover

Advice to Senior Managementmore encouragement

Ulta Beauty

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTwenty five percent discount on all merchandise you purchase.
    Gratis is given to prestige consultants and management.
    You get to connect with a lot of vendors for brands that are sold in the store.
    This job is all about the guest. If you're a strong people person, you'll love it.

ConsA lack of training programs for associates and management looking to advance in a career with Ulta Beauty. Technologically and operationally, this company is very behind - there are many hoops and loops you have to go through in order to get things done. No work life balance - as management, you will work every holiday. Gossip is everywhere in this company - never have I ever worked for a company with this much drama between stores within the same district. Stress is unreasonably high because of the tasks this company expects to get done, yet does not provide enough hours per month to complete all of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline your operational processes. Update your POS system so that it does not interfere with the guest experience. Provide incentives to why part time associates should care about sales and up selling. Create a better program to advance full time management in their career.

Beauty Consultant - OK , not enough training.

Beauty Consultant/Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCo-workers and mangers were great to be around, discount on awesome products. Received raise after 6 months.

ConsThere was not enough training-I had no clue what I was doing when I was working there. Little chance for promotion, even after I was told that I would soon receive a promotion. Ulta has a rep for bad customer service, and I think that is because the consultants have such little training and don't know how to recommend products. Also, there were never enough people working so there was a lot of theft (which the TWO employees working get blamed for). Pay was LOW.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of products for your employees to know about in order to give good customer service. Extend training and give newbies a book or something so that they can at least learn the brands that the store carries, but even better, learn the products.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a fast growing company with much to look forward to.

Deployment Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits start the day your hired and room for advancement will make working for Ulta worth your time.

ConsThere are strong values overall but morale as a whole could be negative at times. A simple fix would be more competitive wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the job functions below your pay grade with more admiration for the big picture.

GM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company
    Fair to employees
    Good discount for retail and salon
    Training

ConsNeed more hour to train
    Need more hour for guest service

Advice to Senior ManagementPayroll hours

Ulta

Prestige Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position. If you are lucky enough to be in the Prestige department - you also are rewarded with free product via gratis from training with the different brands. The quality of products is also phenomenal in the Prestige department. Clients appreciate the consultative approach to selling - and the ability to meet their needs from a large selection of products. The atmosphere of "many counters under one roof," allows associates to not be hard-wired to one brand.

ConsBeing a "selling manager" here is difficult. There is little time allotted to complete duties specific of management - ie., event planning, paperwork, conference call prepping, performance appraisals, coaching, budgeting, etc.. Communication is also very poor. There is one terminal computer all management shares - including one email - so emails get lost, deleted, etc..

Advice to Senior ManagementMore time/hours needs to be budgeted for management to complete their "management" duties. People should be compensated for taking work home with them.

An OK retail job if that is all you need temporarily.

Cashier/Prestige Sales (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsYou get free make-up samples! and you get to work with people.

ConsYou have to stand in one spot ALL day long if you work in fragrance, and stocking that store is frustrating.

awful management

Cashier (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsDiscount on makeup, not the best pay but it's a paycheck

ConsSome of the worse management ever

Advice to Senior ManagementPay raises

Typical retail experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Hunt Valley, MD

ProsAccess to makeup during shift, gratis items, establishing relationships with coworkers, discount on products and services at the salon, interacting with customers

ConsLow pay, poor management within store, rotating shifts, salon and prestige staff frequently did not stock their departments leaving customer service reps to do so

My part time experience at ulta beauty

Ulta Prestige Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat gratice, excellent team of co-workers and management, flexible work schedule when needing days off.

ConsNot enough hours given to Prestige consultants, could use more training on products.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain staff on registers prior to store opening so that employees dont look incompetent when ringing things up on busy days. Learn as you go is fine, but not on holidays.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!