Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount on product as well as salon services"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Good discount on salon services"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions"
    in 41 reviews
  • "You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mixed feelings

Prestige Consultant (Current Employee)
    Manchester, NH

ProsGreat discount in both retail and salon. Great people to work with and I truly love my job. Great work environment.

ConsIt can be hard to get hours when the business doesn't do well or there is theft. (Which can prevented better) Even with open availability now, I hardly receive 10 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think it makes sense to cut hours/employees able to walk on the floor when there is theft because it just makes it harder on the employees to prevent theft while also doing their job and helping customers. Also, in the locations we know are hot spots for our stores unique design/location in a mall setting, I think there should be more security cameras installed rather than simply cutting hours, that doesn't solve any problems except for corporate not loosing money. I understand the reason for cutting hours, but that and loss prevention trainings can't fix everything.

Good first job

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
    Folsom, CA

ProsFlexible hours, great time off policies, nice atmosphere

ConsVery busy most of the time, not enough training, fast-paced

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more hours for training

Great place to start your life in beauty.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Peoria, AZ

ProsIt is a fun place to work at if you love makeup and beauty! If you are not a huge beauty person, this is not the place for you. You learn a lot from the other people you work with and from talking to customers and trying out the products yourself. The discount is a huge plus, especially for me since I want to be a makeup artist. I also love every person I work with at my store. So I'm very fortunate to work with girls that are drama-free and love beauty. I also love the feeling of sending home a customer with a product they are excited to try. It's even better when they come back and tell you how much they love it! You get regulars which is nice too because you get to know them and can talk to them about makeup and hair and have a real conversation.

ConsYou don't get a ton of hours, which can be frustrating at times. It's also frustrating that Ulta doesn't put much money into their stores, yet wants them to be beyond perfect. Having only a manager and cashier at night on weeknights is not going to help your business. If you go in a Sephora there are tons of workers! But in an Ulta there is hardly any. Prestige is only there during the day on weekdays and all day Fri-Sun. There should be someone there all the time. It's hard to be a cashier and a prestige consultant at once. Also if you are a cashier, you don't get trained on the merchandise in the store. So you should know a little bit about the products before working there so customers don't give you nasty looks when you can't answer their questions. Some of the customers can be overly rude and tight. They want to use 20 coupons in one transaction and it's super annoying. Also the coupons are annoying because it only works on half of the store, so you are constantly being yelled at about that and yelled at about free gifts too. Sometimes my only problem I find working there are the nasty and disrespectful customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the coupons. I am so tired of being yelled at for stuff that is out of my control. Also, hire more people so there is more than 2 people working at a time. It's impossible to run a store like that.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

General manager

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsNo micromanagement attitude. Great District manager. Respect for your personal time, days off or vacation time. Fun environment, a lot of product knowledge given by vendors of each brand. Conferences are amazing!!! A lot of relevant clear information.

ConsLoss prevention issues. Depends on location you might have to deal with aggressive shoplifters on daily basis, frustrating. A lot of important payroll hours spent policing the store. A lot of repeated paperwork and countless unnecessary emails. Takes away from time that could be spend coaching and developing team.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate systems to minimize all the emails about same issue. Work on better system to deal with repeated shoplifters.

My experience with Ulta Beauty was very much a sink or swim situation from day one.

Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Springfield, IL

ProsGreat Company and pay with excellent benefits with cutting edge products at a discounted rate.

ConsUpper management has little to no interpersonal skills and lack leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest management receive training in leadership and human relations as well as proper operations training. It will decrease turnover and increase employee morale.

Great people to work for and with

Esthetician (Current Employee)
    Downers Grove, IL

ProsThere's a great team effort attitude here. No feeling of competition between employees, they're all willing to jump in and help each other

ConsIt can take a long time to build up a clientele, in the meantime pay and hours are low

VERY DISAPPOINTED

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOnly the discount . 25%

ConsCan't use discount online.
    Management is clueless and treat employee's like criminals daily.
    BARELY ANY HOURS...I WORKED 5 HOURS IN THE PAST MONTH!

"Favorites of managers only get hours."
    I'm available every weekend but never scheduled.
    VERY LOW PAY, barely over minimum wage.

Most of my fellow employees didn't know much about the products or how to do make up in general.

Ulta is great for customers but not employees, definitely won't continue to shop here once I quit.

OH AND WE GET OUR SCHEDULE 1 OR 2 DAYS BEFORE THE WEEK SO I NEVER KNOW HOW TO PLAN MY LIFE AROUND THIS JOB. I find out on Friday if I work Sunday. RIDICULOUS!

Advice to Senior ManagementActually give the hardworking employees some hours instead of giving all hours to your favorites.

COMMUNICATE.

SCHEDULE FASTER.

Horrible place to work

Prestige (Current Employee)

ProsGratis - training with vendors

ConsBeing hired to be a "prestige manager" and being forced to work on a cash register all day while customers walk around looking for help without anyone to help them. This is ridiculous - tired of dealing with angry, frustrated customers because there is not enough staff due to our hours being cut. Can't wait to leave this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop opening so many stores and concentrate on taking care of the ones you have - read the customer reviews and see that customer service is severely lacking. Hire GM's that at least have some interest in the beauty business.

Good Experience overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice environment, nice staff, clean environment, good clientelle

ConsLow pay scale, difficult to get a day off especially during the holidays...

Advice to Senior ManagementMore talk about personal growth opportunities both short term as well as long term otherwise it is difficult to know how to navigate progress.

It's Okay, not great.

Lead Cashier (Current Employee)
    West Des Moines, IA

ProsGood discount. Some managers stick to their word. I get hours when I want them, i guess. Pay was good when I started as a seasonal cashier (but not now as I'm at the same pay as a Lead Cashier....)

ConsNever have enough hours to get the store stocked, merchandise, or reset sections. I got promoted but didn't get a raise. They don't have enough cashiers. Also, the stores seem to go through GM's like crazy. At first there was an insane amount of catiness, but everyone got fired and now it's okay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a schedule very wisely. Don't schedule lazy people on truck days or reset days. Make sure your shipment/merchandizing team is fast and good. Wish pay was higher, and that the schedule was set in stone, I'm always getting asked to work more days because we only have 3 cashiers. People who don't do their job don't suffer, but people who do a great job don't get praise like they deserve.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon. All 647 reviews posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees.