Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position(in 50 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions(in 42 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income(in 38 reviews)

My experience with Ulta Beauty was very much a sink or swim situation from day one.

Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) Springfield, IL

ProsGreat Company and pay with excellent benefits with cutting edge products at a discounted rate.

ConsUpper management has little to no interpersonal skills and lack leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest management receive training in leadership and human relations as well as proper operations training. It will decrease turnover and increase employee morale.

Avoid like the plague!

Pros50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products.

ConsExpect favoritism. You work your butt off, and the manager will STILL promote friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage a store.

The Worst Job I have ever had!

Prestige Consultant (Former Employee) Epping, NH

ProsThere isn't much. You get a discount of about 20% but that makes it equal to what you would pay at Target or any other drugstore. Shifts get cut which is common in any retail environment. Pay was acceptable but still very low compared to other companies.

Cons-Their POS system is completely outdated
    -Their return policy is ridiculous and over complicated
    - Other employees would stand around and talk while you're helping customers.
    - HUGE lack of training on product lines
    - Promotional and sale driven atmosphere
    -Their primary focus is on opening beauty cards

Bottom line....they're not Sephora.....

Advice to Senior ManagementMy store manager was very nice and helpful along with their LP, but all the other leadership was extremely rude and cold. They could never answer any of my questions or all had different answers on policies. Very poor leadership and communication skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lazy manager, DM plays favorites and doesn't get to know you or your work ethics.

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsDecent pay if you are willing to run the store for your lazy, lying manager. Great if you enjoy being told daily what you are doing wrong and never getting complimented on your work.

ConsGM that only cares about herself and her own recognition. GM that runs the store from the office and complains about your performance but doesn't help you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your lazy butt and do your job.

VERY DISAPPOINTED

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOnly the discount . 25%

ConsCan't use discount online.
    Management is clueless and treat employee's like criminals daily.
    BARELY ANY HOURS...I WORKED 5 HOURS IN THE PAST MONTH!

"Favorites of managers only get hours."
    I'm available every weekend but never scheduled.
    VERY LOW PAY, barely over minimum wage.

Most of my fellow employees didn't know much about the products or how to do make up in general.

Ulta is great for customers but not employees, definitely won't continue to shop here once I quit.

OH AND WE GET OUR SCHEDULE 1 OR 2 DAYS BEFORE THE WEEK SO I NEVER KNOW HOW TO PLAN MY LIFE AROUND THIS JOB. I find out on Friday if I work Sunday. RIDICULOUS!

Advice to Senior ManagementActually give the hardworking employees some hours instead of giving all hours to your favorites.

COMMUNICATE.

SCHEDULE FASTER.

Horrible place to work

Prestige (Current Employee)

ProsGratis - training with vendors

ConsBeing hired to be a "prestige manager" and being forced to work on a cash register all day while customers walk around looking for help without anyone to help them. This is ridiculous - tired of dealing with angry, frustrated customers because there is not enough staff due to our hours being cut. Can't wait to leave this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop opening so many stores and concentrate on taking care of the ones you have - read the customer reviews and see that customer service is severely lacking. Hire GM's that at least have some interest in the beauty business.

Senior Stylist

Senior Designer (Former Employee) Palm Desert, CA

ProsCo-workers, access to great products, mediocre training by Redken

ConsDon't adhere to labor laws, bad pay, unfair schedules. I worked every Saturday night and Sunday for 3 years, including holidays like Easter, Mother's Day and was forced to work on my children's birthdays. They would never approved my requests for time off weeks in advance. Even though I was a commissioned stylist (no hourly wage) I still had to unload freight and stock. When I was pregnant they wouldnb't allow me to have water near my station or take breaks to sit or drink between clients. I was fired while I was in the hospital recovering from a c-section because my leave "was not approved". Then they tried to deny my unemployment claim saying I "abandoned" my job. Losers. Three years with a company and you think they would treat their employees a little bit better than that. I showed them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horses. Your not royalty, your middle management making a measly salary. You're not more special than the people working beside you. Have some respect for your fellow human beings.

Top down management

Salon Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGratis. Once you are a senior you get benefits

ConsThey walk you in and out (untrusting). Retail management does not understand salon personnel nor are they as experienced as salon personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour General managers should be SALON /retail general managers. The people you put in charge are lacking in any salon experience. Many of them are so far beneath the salon managers it is laughable.

Not a good place to work

Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) Florence, KY

ProsStarting pay was good and strong core values. Other than that, not a whole lot of pros I can say about this place.

ConsThe amount of hours you get as an associate is a joke. There were times I got 4 hours a week. There was no way I could live off that. There were also times this place was very unfair and showed favoritism. Being told I was gonna be transferred into the prestige department and seeing a new hire a day later was really unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little bit more responsible and show fairness to your team.

If you feel the need to have a salon in your retail environment, educate yourself on running a salon.

Salon Manager (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL

Pros25% discount

Gratis though you may have to deal with LP after receiving it

100% discount in salon for salon professionals IF there is time for you to receive a service

ConsWaiting 20 minutes to be walked out

Feeling like you've joined a cult...Team Culta

Having a GM that lies to cover their own lies

Being talked at instead of talked to...
    DM communicates with GM only and all other managers are replaceable since the GM is going to say what they want to say, it will always be your word against theirs

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some amazing talent just slipping through your fingers. Give your salon staff more credit since we do completely different services than selling retail, we sell ourselves and our talent. Many of us put our blood, sweat and tears into our careers and clients yet we will always be just a number you (an SAP #). Give your SM's the same access to upper management as your GM's. If you did, you'd realize many of your GM's do not belong in their position. As a salon professional I should not have to worry about the retail side doing their job properly. If LP was doing their job, I shouldn't have to worry about shrink since I'm busy STANDING BEHIND THE CHAIR. Since LP is watching cameras all day they should realize how incompetate their retail side is.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!