Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 59 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 48 reviews)

• I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, fun staff and energy.

Cons

Lack of training, very tight payroll.

Focus on educating all of your employees, and allow more payroll. its very hard to serve guest while working on 5 projects and only you and one other associate is on the floor.

Fun place to work but feeling of never ending work-load.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is great because I spend a nice chunk of money there anyway.
    The people you work with are usually really friendly and fun.
    Its basically judgement-free when it comes to interesting and wild makeup and hair colors/styles.

Cons

The pay isn't very good, I work 32-39 hours a week and still cant pay my bills. They will not allow anyone beside management work 40+ hours (bonuses follow). I'm always being told to finish this project and that project but can never finish anything because I am also required to be out on the floor for this and I get stopped by customers 60% of the time. We are never staffed properly so I find myself with so many things to do, almost nothing gets done.

I work in a particular store with all new management and find myself showing them things and answering their questions and fixing problems more than I should. I've only been with the company for 4 months and I am showing managers what to do, that isn't right.

My biggest issue with ULTA is that there is no training provided for new-hires. I was one tear away from quitting my first week because I was thrown to the sharks in my first 20 minutes after watching an associate cashier without explaining anything as she went. I have talked to many other employees and they all say the same thing. You feel completely lost without a paddle for at least 3 weeks in this job. No one should ever feel that when they start a new job. Management says they don't have payroll for training.. but you have payroll for new hires to ask questions and waste the time of other associates when it's a simple thing that could've been taught during their first week! You have payroll for new hires to mess up and give someone too much money back on a return or damage out products that could be sold again? Doubt it.

ULTA makes a lot of money, I see how much is spent in just one store on a daily basis. I know if we could be staffed properly and help all of our guests with questions and issues then we could probably be even more profitable. I remember shopping at ULTA years before ever working here and I would be really annoyed with the fact that not one employee ever asked me if I needed help finding something or even acknowledging that I walked in.
    Also there are so many tasks; truck, ad, inventory, clearance, planos, damages, facing, backstocking, replenishing, etc. How are we expected to finish all of this (that happens during business hours) while three associates are cashiering and no one else is on the floor?! It makes everyones job very stressful and unenjoyable.

Salon Manager

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Company really cares about their employees. Worked for Regis before........No stArs for them but 10 stars for Ulta.

Cons

Really I cant see anything .

My company is awesome

Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Love the company. Awesome place to work.

Cons

I have not experienced any.

Awsome

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Gratis and discount also great hours and a fun atmosphere! Great company to be employeed for i have no complaints.

Cons

Well of course working in any retail store you work every weekend cant remember last weekend i had off. Other then that its a great work place.

Keep it up!

Great place to work, they treat their stylists very well & lots of incentives to move up in the company.

Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good incentives & benefits to work up to, full stock of supplies for the salon even down to new blow dryers, awesome discount & holiday discounts, great beauty info and advice from trusted beauty experts and vendors, great training, above average management, access to hundreds of prestige & low end cosmetics & haircare.

Cons

Huge divide between cashier side and salon side, not an intimate salon setting, only redken color line used & limited selection in that, mass training that can sometimes be rushed and lazy, grumpy customers because it is retail after all, old machines (product scanners, computers, etc), not always high quality employees hired due to needing to fill positions, but hours are clocked down to a t and sometimes you'll work -10 hours a week.

Work on joining cashier side to salon side nationwide with possible store training combined, train managers better especially on hour/time management so the limited amount of hours given can be used more effectively, get more vendors/reps into stores--even the little ones because we love the outside education, work on getting outside companies to send samples/run promotions where we can use their products especially for the salon-- it really helps sell their products!

I have worked for many cooperate hair salons, and I can say Ulta is by far one of the much better ones.

Current Employee - Stylist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have never worked for a better management staff, a lot of support and communication. I love being busy, and I can always stay busy with Ulta, even if the salon is slow that day! I have read a lot of reviews here, and I just do not understand. I have heard a lot of complaining about pay. I have work in numerous salons in my 26 years in the biz, and NEVER..... have I worked somewhere that I have a store full of clients. AT MY FINGERTIPS!!! Ulta is one place where I do write my own check!!!~ I Love It...

Cons

Money is not an issue with this job!! I even have 401K and insurance. One problem is labor at this salon. I do understand the cooperate number game,.... but since coming to work at this location, out manager has gotten a whole new staff!! We have made goal every week since I have been there. So the labor issue does tend to get tiring of hearing. No situation, is perfect!!

As I said above, if management would drop letting me know every day that labor is high.... thats the only problem I have....

Great

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Management does not listen to concerns.

Great experience for those looking to expand your knowledge of retail operations and beauty.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Quarterly Trainings, in store professional development, constant knowledge of sales goals and accomplishments.

Cons

Pay doesn't match the work load, depending on role.

Be more open to learn from associates.

Stressing

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

really there not any pros other than discount

Cons

Pleasing upper management and no promotions

Ulta Beauty Photos