Ulta Beauty Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• I was basically thrown in with no support from upper management (in 52 reviews)

1,346 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

I've been with the company a little over a year and have gone through 4 promotions.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard and get rewarded. Satisfying job. Love seeing my efforts get recognized. I worked extremely hard and went from a prestige manager to a store manager.

Cons

None. If you put in the work, you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Continue developing talent. It's absolutely working.

Beauty Advisor

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working in store. It was a very fun job, I learned a lot and got some free stuff.

Cons

My store manager was terrible. My friend worked at another store and her store manager was awful. I don't understand how some of these women get to run stores. It's incredibly frustrating having to work under someone who has no clue what they're doing, no motivation, and play games with their associates.

Advice to Management

Monitor and discipline store managers more. When employment turnover rates are high, the problem is not the employees.

Company review from former employee

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Garden City, KS
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Garden City, KS

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love the store. Products are great, brow bar is great, and most employees are great.

Cons

Not so great schedules, coworkers and I practically had to beg for hours. Had a terrible general manager.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees like you really do appreciate them. Nothing's worse than coming to a job you dread.

5. Associate Manager People

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prospering growing company. Amazing Benefits. Bonuses. Competitive perks. Innovative technology. Interesting work environment with best of both worlds - drug store brand, high end brand and a full salon on site. Open to new ideas.

Cons

Constantly changing so often that once you learn how to do something, they've already created a new way of doing it so you always learning and always spending time training.

Advice to Management

Nurture the staff you have so that they feel better valued and prepare them for next level and support them in that step so you always have experienced, dedicated team members. Stop hiring so many externals that it's always like the blind leading the blind. Career opportunities used to be so open and now having hired externally, they are now looking to replace Multiple job openings with externals rather than qualified internals.

Great Discount and All-Around Retail Gig

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Cedar Falls, IA
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Cedar Falls, IA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount was amazing! 25% off anything and they always distributed the free stuff from vendors pretty fairly. I worked as a Prestige Advisor and I was always busy so time went by fast. All of the customers I helped seemed to genuinely enjoy Ulta and the products we had so that made helping them so much easier.

Cons

We were a brand new store and smashing all of our sales goals... but there still never seemed to be enough hours to go around. I only worked here for the discount so fortunately it didn't affect me much. But if you want to make decent money at a part-time job... look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Don't overhire: hire a few people who want to work and have good availability.

7. Solid

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Great team and positive atmosphere.

Cons

Shift preference might present challenges.

8. aesthetician

Former Employee - Skin Care Therapist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Skin Care Therapist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Ulta Beauty (Less than a year)

Pros

Dermalogica training; achieved Dermalogica expert status;, free samples and occasionally free products

Cons

Clientele at Ulta Beauty store in Glendale was there to purchase make-up and did not want to receive a facial; lots of pressure to convert browsing customers to clients for facials.

9. Associate Manager

Pros

The pros of this company is the health insurance. Its the best out there.

Cons

Not willing to work with employees availability no matter what.

Advice to Management

I advise that the management team works better as a "team" no one is ever on the same page.

10. Ulta-lead cashier

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Davie, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fun environment -Good discount plus we can still use reward points -Gratis

Cons

-Bad hours -disorganized -not enough staff to cover floor -rude customers -low pay

Advice to Management

Provide more payroll and reward loyal employees and actually discipline bad employees.

11. Your experience depends on your personality

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Princeton, NJ

Pros

For the most part it is a great environment to work in. Customers are nice, most staff are team players.

Cons

Some associates can be very cliquish, and only assist new hires as a way to brown nose. Not a lot of hours given. Will i was hired as a beauty advisor, advising is something i dont do. I have mainly been a cashier and clean shelves, restock product and complete planograms

Advice to Management

Help make new hires feel part of team and not as an outsider. Dont allow associates to hold personal conversations on the floor. It is unprofessional above all things

Showing 1,346 of 1,350 reviews