Ulta Beauty

Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun Place to work

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Reno, NV

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The managers really try to help you out. Fun place to work. Employee discount is amazing

Cons

Not enough Hours, but work hard you can earn them

Good starter job. Black hole for management.

Former Employee - Prestige Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty (more than a year)

Pros

Free products, Paid product trainings, Endless opportunities for personal growth and life lessons, Optimal networking atmosphere, Great for younger individuals looking for a light work schedule and exposure to the beauty industry.

Cons

No consideration for the personal lives of employees, Horribly run corporate structure, Insensitive and selfish corporate employees, No appreciation for hard work, Lazy IT department, Inconsistent policy follow-through, No insurance/benefits for management unless you work a minimum average of 35 hours per week, All employees are overworked and underpaid, Way too much is expected of all employees, High sales goals with low payroll budgets which makes accomplishing any side tasks next to impossible.

When I started this job, I LOVED it. I worked my butt off, and within a year I was quickly promoted from cashier, to Lead Cashier, to Prestige Consultant, to Prestige Manager. I loved everything about it until I dove deeper into the abyss of management. I didn't start to resent my job until I became familiarized with the corporate ladder.

There is a reason that you consistently hear complaints about Ulta employees having major attitudes or acting like customers are pests. As an Ulta employee, you are expected to accomplish a laundry list of tasks including, but not limited to: advise guests, be a cashier, maintain the aesthetic appearance of the store, and act as loss prevention personnel. While this may not seem like a lot, this is just the list for the average Ulta cashier. Management responsibilities are on a completely different level of unreasonable.

There is no one to blame here except for corporate. This company has become so incredibly stingy within the last few years. They are exceptionally greedy; always looking for a way to cut costs and boost sales, which stretches employees (mainly management) insanely thin. I was a Prestige Manager, and my department (which accounted for almost half of the entire store) contributed to 60% of the store's retail sales (not including salon and skin therapist conversions, for which we receive no credit). This was a requirement of the company. Nevertheless, I repaired a 10% sales deficit AND increased sales by more than 24% over the previous fiscal year. I cannot remember the last time I missed my sales goals or dropped below target on my numbers.
    Keep this in mind when I mention that I was not considered a "Full Time Manager", and was therefore not eligible for any company benefits, insurance, or vacation time. Prestige Managers have close to three times as many blackout dates for schedule requests as all other managers due to multiple month-long events that we are responsible for planning and hosting in-store. In almost a year and a half of working there, I can count on one hand the number of weekends for which I was permitted time off. To paint this picture for you, I was unable to request ANY time off or have ANY weekends off for the following months: January, March, September, November, December. For three months straight, I could not request any time off whatsoever. As it stands, I have not had a weekend off since the first weekend in October.
    I was given one raise within this time period.
    For such a huge company, you would think there would be some sort of appreciation or respect for its hard-working employees. Show your appreciation by listening to the concerns of the individuals running your business for you. We are in this business and experience the environment every single day. Our opinions are valuable.

Bottom line: this company does the absolute least for its workers. Like I said, it is an ideal job for younger individuals looking for light hours and some exposure to the beauty industry, but a black hole for anyone working a management role. You get stuck with the false sense of security that you have a solid job because you are constantly working, but you never have time to pursue other opportunities with better benefits because you are ALWAYS working.

To Corporate: If you want to get your employee retention rating out of the toilet, fix the issues and complaints you've incessantly been hearing from your workers. Ulta is a revolving door. Why do you think they're always hiring?

Enjoyed my time!

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management was really great to work with, so helpful and made work all around fun. If you did something exceptional you would get pick something from the gratis box (filled with makeup, bath, and skincare goodies) so that was good incentive to work hard!

Cons

Varied schedules, early mornings (shipment) and late nights (holiday hours), sometimes it would be so busy you wouldn't be able to take any breaks.

Good for your first Esthetician job

Current Employee - Esthetician in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Steady hours
    Great gratis
    Sick days
    Vacation
    Training

Cons

Poor Weak pay
    No mentor for skin care therapist

Once GM changed the store got much better.

Great company but

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Great gratis, learn a lot.

Cons

If in management, you don't get paid a fraction of what you deserve for what you deal with.

Be a team, help your employees.

Good place

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Industry, work life balance really nice place to work at if you like hair and makeup and want to be in that industry

Cons

Shifts and upper management doesn't visit as often as they should. Thy cut shifts a lot also if the store numbers aren't doing well.

Pay attention

Only apply if you're still in college or in need of part-time employment!!

Former Employee - Prestige Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty (more than 5 years)

Pros

What I love about working for Ulta was the amazing relationships with fellow employees and customers you can create. Spending your days in beauty products, getting gratis (free stuff), wonderful discounts and fun trainings.

Cons

Never enough employees working the floor and they're always cutting hours. As a Prestige Manager you could end up spending your entire day at the cash register if one person doesn't show up for work. Which in turn can affect your job if something is not clean or a goal isn't met.

Invest more in your employees whether it's compensation and time.

Friendly staff, hours are not reliable

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

occasionally given gratis. I enjoy demonstrating makeup techniques. my coworkers are friendly. the discount is also nice. especially 50% off in the salon.

Cons

there needs to be more communication.. hours are unreliable.overall, it is a nice place to work, especially if you are looking for a part time position.

So far so Good

Current Employee - Lead Cashier
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount
    flexible with scheduling
    You can get gratis (free stuff)
    They promote from within mostly
    get to see whats new before other people

Cons

management can be unprofessional
    There is favoritism between management and some employees,which can determine who gets a raise and promotion even if they dont deserve it.
    Not a lot of training on cosmetic brands
    Never enough staffing

Be more friendly and try not to let bad mood affect the rest of the staff and consistent with how you want tasks done.

Fun and exciting

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Discounted products that I use daily, great supervisor and training, fun, interesting group to work with

Cons

Stocking, not enough hours,