Ulta Beauty

Updated November 24, 2014
2.8

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Potential to be a great place to work, but too little resources

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is fun and creative. You have the ability to make guests feel better about themselves by doing something as simple as helping them find a beauty product or doing their hair. The discount is generous and you receive gratis fairly regularly.

Cons

The lack of resources is crippling. You do not have a staff to assist guests because you are constantly cutting payroll. The salaried managers take the brunt of this, and end up working as high paid cashiers the majority of the time. There is a huge opportunity for product knowledge training, and training in general. Payroll is not provided for training new managers or associates.

Provide your teams with the resources they need to properly do their jobs. Turnover would reduce drastically.

Great company & solid salon to be a part of

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Designer in The Salon, you have the opportunity to earn an hourly wage as you build your clientele and then eventually work into hitting commission consistently. This is such a helpful transition whether you are new to the area or to the industry in general. There is a lot of room to move up as a stylist and consistent advanced training through Redken every season. I was able to become a Redken Certified Colorist and also move up to a Senior Designer in less than 2 years with the company.

Cons

Can be challenging to work up to full time as your hours depend on how many the salon is given in the company budget each week. If you "earn" the hours by being consistently fully booked you are in the clear, but if you are new to the area it can take at least a few months. Also can be challenging that you cannot do any freelance work (bridal, photoshoots, etc) on the side while working here since it is a non-compete.

Give constructive criticism. Have clear, direct communication while also choosing your words kindly and carefully. Be considerate that not everyone will approach their career with the same sense of workaholic-ism that you might but that doesn't mean they are not passionate about what they do.

Love my job, wish the company was more organized.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

It's a fun environment. Everyone is super nice and supportive. We help each other learn something new everyday. The pay is pretty good. The discount is awesome. There is a lot of opportunity to move up. I've gotten promoted twice in the last 8 months.

Cons

We need more people on the floor to decrease our shrink (loss of products due to damages or theft).
    The store is pretty disorganized, but that's also just because we do not have enough hours to give people.

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company has grown tremendously in the past decade. It has so many oppty for growth in its career options. Its a fun atmosphere to work in. They really care about the guest and empower all employees to do whats right for our customers.

Cons

Working in a dominant female feild can get catty and frustrating at times.there can be Lots of drama at times. But if you can get through that its a great place to work.

Take time for your employees. Really listen to their needs.

Good Job

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are great, none are catty. Management is very flexible and friendly. If you love beauty, this is a great place to work.

Cons

They require you to do a lot of work, but with little pay. I find myself doing three different jobs, yet getting the salary for only one. Sometimes your hard work can go un-noticed. Long hours on feet.

Not impressed

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment, nice coworkers, nice customers, easy rules, nice discount

Cons

No hours and low pay, not much room for advancement. Cannot bring personal items to work.

The ultimate!

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

You create how much you want to make. They give you the tools to use to be successful. It's up to YOU to use them! What better situation can you ask for where there are potential client walking right out on the sales floor. Other salons you have to wait till someone walks in the door to request your serves. Love it here!

Cons

Haven't experienced any cons as of yet.

Doesn't value their employees

Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Orem, UT

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount on product and services, fun customer base, lots of education opportunities, good gratis.

Cons

The company doesn't value its employees. You aren't appreciated for the work you do. Because of this, there is a high turnover rate. They don't pay fairly or consistently. They expect you to go above and beyond without compensation, I have even been expected to take a promotion and much higher level of responsibility without a pay raise. Their training program is terrible. You are just thrown into your position and expected to succeed without the tools for success and then get reprimanded if you don't do perfectly. Very high stress.

Great

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours you will get hours ! A Lot of call in so more hours for you . 25% discount off anything

Cons

You have to push Ulta reward cards, even to grumpy customers. If you have lip stick/gloss make-up MAKE sure you get it checked off by a manager. Even if you didn't buy it from Ulta they Will think you stole it. A lot of standing and if you work 5/6 hours no Breaks ! It sucks

Great Management and Lots of Upward Mobility

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Cary, NC

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working here. I've been a lead cashier for a little over a year, and I can't say enough good things about the people there.
    -They really believe in internal hiring. There is so much room to grow within the company that if you work hard and show initiative, promotions are plentiful.
    -Always something to do; I was rarely bored
    -Management really inspires you to do your best. Less of a business, more like a family
    -Yes, you will learn a lot about retail as well as makeup. A lot of the ladies there are either in school for cosmetology or are interested in it. It's a good place to see if that industry is right for you.
    -Great discounts and perks, especially at the salon.
    -Flexible scheduling, easy to ask off if needed and to find coverage should something come up. They also really work around your schedule.

Cons

We're a little understaffed. It wasn't the fault of the management, but rather due to their payroll and scheduling system. Basically, if they don't do well and reach their goals the week before, corporate asks them to cut the hours for the next week, which resulted in higher levels of stress for the management and retail team.

Keep doing what you're doing!