Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 61 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work but feeling of never ending work-load.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is great because I spend a nice chunk of money there anyway.
    The people you work with are usually really friendly and fun.
    Its basically judgement-free when it comes to interesting and wild makeup and hair colors/styles.

Cons

The pay isn't very good, I work 32-39 hours a week and still cant pay my bills. They will not allow anyone beside management work 40+ hours (bonuses follow). I'm always being told to finish this project and that project but can never finish anything because I am also required to be out on the floor for this and I get stopped by customers 60% of the time. We are never staffed properly so I find myself with so many things to do, almost nothing gets done.

I work in a particular store with all new management and find myself showing them things and answering their questions and fixing problems more than I should. I've only been with the company for 4 months and I am showing managers what to do, that isn't right.

My biggest issue with ULTA is that there is no training provided for new-hires. I was one tear away from quitting my first week because I was thrown to the sharks in my first 20 minutes after watching an associate cashier without explaining anything as she went. I have talked to many other employees and they all say the same thing. You feel completely lost without a paddle for at least 3 weeks in this job. No one should ever feel that when they start a new job. Management says they don't have payroll for training.. but you have payroll for new hires to ask questions and waste the time of other associates when it's a simple thing that could've been taught during their first week! You have payroll for new hires to mess up and give someone too much money back on a return or damage out products that could be sold again? Doubt it.

ULTA makes a lot of money, I see how much is spent in just one store on a daily basis. I know if we could be staffed properly and help all of our guests with questions and issues then we could probably be even more profitable. I remember shopping at ULTA years before ever working here and I would be really annoyed with the fact that not one employee ever asked me if I needed help finding something or even acknowledging that I walked in.
    Also there are so many tasks; truck, ad, inventory, clearance, planos, damages, facing, backstocking, replenishing, etc. How are we expected to finish all of this (that happens during business hours) while three associates are cashiering and no one else is on the floor?! It makes everyones job very stressful and unenjoyable.

Welcome to Ulta..where cutting payroll is the main objective of the management team.

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, Benefit eligibility begins on your first day of employment. For the most part, the staff is eager and willing to work hard in order to get scheduled shifts.

Cons

It always comes down to cutting payroll. Making budget? Great! Now cut payroll to make up for the weeks you missed budget. Missed your budget? Too bad.. now we have to scramble to cut hours to get back on track. How does a manager effectively service clients giving them a "Wow" experience without adequate staff? As a manager, my objective is to manage, not to be a high paid cashier. Manager's are salaried and there is an unspoken rule that management should be shouldering the burden by working well beyond 40 hours. It baffles me that there are plenty of staff members that are WILLING and ABLE to work, yet I am always having to cut hours to save payroll. NPS is a joke. Of course clients are going to complain when on most evenings there is only one cashier and a manager ringing up sales and I'm lucky to have 2 Beauty Advisors on the selling floor on a busy Saturday evening.

As a seasoned retail manager I had little to no training. I was basically thrown in with no support from upper management. The 10 day training that I was supposed to have, ended on day 3. I was told the most important thing to learn is ringing up sales and that I could expect to spend most of my time on register. Morale is always a huge issue as the management team is over worked and under paid. The associates beg me for hours that I cannot give them. Upper management shrugs their shoulders and says "That's just the way it is".

Allow Managers to MANAGE! They cannot be expected to operate effectively without proper staffing. This company's main objective appears to be "do more with less". It's quite simple..allow your managers to actually do their job. Give them more payroll and the ability to allow Beauty Advisors to cultivate relationships with clients which of course lead to sales. It's not rocket science..

Most positive work environment in my experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Everyone is very upbeat and they stick to the company's core values, which are awesome, by the way. It's a very team-oriented company that promotes growth.

Cons

Pay for management staff isn't great from what I've heard.

Love Makeup/Love your job!

Former Employee - Lead Beauty Advisor in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Beauty Advisor in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's very to work at Ulta if you have a true passion for makeup, hair and beauty products. Ulta is a fun environment where beauty consultants get serious about helping people find the products that are best for them. Brands and product knowledge is easy to pick up if this industry is something you are interested in. Loads of training and growth opportunities available if you are looking to advance. Also, gratis from managers for a job well done is an excellent perk, a way for you to try new products and, in turn, have the knowledge of that product to be able to recommend to a guest. Great guidance from superiors and welcome of new ideas and creativity!

Cons

It can be difficult working in a female dominated place such as Ulta, but with the job in common, everyone can find something to talk about. Guests are also a "con" because, especially in this location, they want everything for nothing! The best way to deal with them and all their coupons is to put a smile on and be the bigger person, be as nice as possible by letting the know that you "would be happy to help them to the best of your ability within the Ulta guideline coupon/return policy." When all else fails, get a manager because they always are willing to help.

Foster creativity and embrace ideas of new and eager employees. Stay away from hiring people who are not passionate about the business, I found in made all the difference in how my co-workers worked depending on who they were with that day. We once had a problem with a manager who "hated" her job, which lowered team morale.

Amo

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

If you love Make up and every thing beauty you will love working there. Their are also a lot of learning experience offered to you if you are prestige.

Cons

If you are a task person you get very little to no training. Hours change all the time if full time hard to get days off or take vacation when you want

Hire the right people and take care of your people to much turn over.

Ulta Beauty

Current Employee - Lead Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Lead Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great makeup knowledge and discounts! Opportunity to move up!

Cons

I believe the pay should be higher... A lot of work needs to get done for the amount paid

Everyone needs to be on one accord... Better communication with employees

Love the company and the benefits.

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job stability and salary is comfortable.

Cons

Work and home life balance can be difficult at times. Company doesn't fund enough payroll to complete the expectations for customer service and operations.

Listen to your people that are at store level and don't make your store employees work on holidays that corporate takes off ( thanksgiving and easter.)

Hair stylist

Current Employee - Salon Stylist in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Salon Stylist in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Redken education. Easy way to buid clientele

Cons

Little benefits. Low salaries to start off

Redken education does count toward ceu hours....need to get classes registered thru state old.

Good job for a beginner in retail/people who like cosmetics, but be prepared for management to expect a lot out of you with no acknowledgement for what you do.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, lots of hours once you prove yourself.

Cons

No breaks, management issues, high turn around rate, not enough training.

Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Love the company. Awesome place to work.

Cons

I have not experienced any.

Ulta Beauty Photos