Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 57 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 21 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best job I've ever had..you learn so much from classes and talking with other prestige consultants. Also, you get to meet so many connections that can help you if you ever want to venture out into the industry. The clients you meet are awesome, especially if you work close or in a major city like I did. I've done makeup and retained relationships with fashion designers, corporate leaders, and so many other interesting people. I worked full time as a prestige consultant.

Cons

Nothing really too major. I just heard some other the other not as successful store numbers weren't as high volume or organized. So a lot depends on which store location you work at.

Pay could be a little bit better, especially if someone plans on being there for a long time but I think that may be up to corporate, I am not sure. My store had really great relationships with each other and I think that is really important when running a business, and something to work on while managing.

ulta is a pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Lead Cashier  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

you can meet long term friends, plus you get to play around with make up.

Cons

it can get boring. there is not much to do.

nothing, management is pretty good

Great job

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Aventura, FL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly, family oriented work environment

Cons

Same as everything, corporate doesn't give enough hours to the store to schedule.

Take time training new employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

none

Former Employee - Hairstylist  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Hairstylist in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

money and experience career opportunities, path to abundance

Cons

none,retail,selling product, stocking commision based

none

Impersonal corporate environment

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Personnel events
    High safety focuses work area, focus on high technology, high productivity, latest concepts and processes

Cons

Salary low for area
    Management says whatever to benefit them
    Not timely handling of issues
    Complain, you're out

Tell truth, communicate accurate information

Great place to be.

Current Employee - Salon Manager  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, ongoing training, business training, amazing support from the company, and of course, great pay.
    Discount on products as well as gratis (not as often as the Prestige team gets, but it's still there).
    The ability to really take control of your career. I see a few reviews knocking PTA and saying it's not workable. I say that is a conditioned belief, and you've poisoned your own attitude if you feel that way.

Cons

As with any job, there are bad days/weeks. There is never a "normal" week at Ulta, things are constantly changing and it can seem daunting in the beginning to keep it straight.
    My biggest con is the salon station. I know they are built for efficiency, but they have a severe lack of storage. Hard to work with.

I love my leadership.
    Sometimes I feel a disconnect between the retail team and salon team, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of support in bridging that.

I am an experienced stylist

Current Employee - Hair Designer I  in  North Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Hair Designer I in North Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional salon, benefits 401k, disability sick and vacation days

Cons

There are not any assistants, and I've don't have a receptionist.
    Managers and retail do help out with the phones though.

I think they are on top of the game.

I love this place

Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant  in  Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant in Novi, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working with other people and helping women find the right makeup for them

Cons

Working with a customer to find the right makeup and having to ring someone up

N/A

Growing along with a growing company

Current Employee - Prestige Manager  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been the Prestige Manager at my local store for 3 years now and I LOVE it! Great vendor support and guests that come in looking for me are a constant plus. I love learning about the new products and the seasonal launches constantly give you something to look forward to. The events are so much fun! I keep a running list of clients who like certain products so the planning is not hard but the actual events are the best! Gratis is fun and the discount is great-especially the additional discount we get during the holidays! Our General Manager lets me run my department and trusts my decisions, but is always there for support if I need her input. My hourly + my bonus is great (I had 30 years in the beauty/retail field) and the benefits once I went full time (after my store exceeded its goal and warranted more hours) are AMAZING! Great company-I could advance if I wanted to relocate-but I am totally content doing what I do!

Cons

Some of the biggest challenges are the part-time employees (almost all college students) who don't have any work ethic. The spend more time grumbling about doing a task , than it would take to do it. They think they should get paid to just show up, and don't understand the concept of cleaning, stocking or any number of the things that make up a job in retail. And forget about trying to get them to approach a guest or suggest any additional products or trying to "upsell". They think they want to work in a "makeup store" until they discover that we actually expect them to work and not just play in the makeup.

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of external theft that goes on in a single day. When you only have enough allotted hours to schedule two employees to work a shift, that just doesn't leave anyone to do LP. I would suggest that you give great thought to locking up the fragrance behind plexi and some of the higher shrink items like the Naked palettes.

Disappointing Experience

Former Employee - Associate Manager
    Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Received gratis (most of which had already been picked through), employee discount, discounted salon services, lovely group of associates

Cons

Had to work every weekend unless I specially requested off and that's if the GM approved it, often closed 4-5 nights in a row, had to take my lunch break two hours into my shift so the GM could go home early, when I was promoted it took 4 months, several conversations with the GM and finally me emailing HR to receive the proper pay and full time status, the GM has no experience.

My advice to management would be to start treating your employees like actual human beings and when they go above and beyond their job description and what they get paid to do, show some appreciation. I spent two years working my way up from cashier, to lead cashier, to merchandise and service coordinator, and finally an associate manager only to put in my two weeks and not even being able to finish out the two weeks because of the backlash I received. I had to contact HR about my pay and benefits because the GM failed to give me the information regarding insurance when I became full time. Because of this I went 4 months without insurance, I wasn't getting paid what I was promised AND I had not been accruing vacation time, sick pay, and holiday pay. I had to contact HR to get the whole issue solved which put a huge target on my back. Ever since then I've been singled out because I made the GM and DM look bad for not doing their job. I'm sad about the ways things ended and all of the lovely associates I had to leave but there isn't enough money in the world that could've kept me there. My advice to management is to take a better look at the people who hire to take care of your employees. I understand it's the beauty industry but to tell someone they need to wear more makeup or dress a certain way to get a job is not sending out the right message. I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in a company as I have been with Ulta.

Ulta Beauty Photos

Having some FUN at a Vendor Event
Ulta storefront
ULTA

+ Add Photo

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!