Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position(in 50 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions(in 42 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income(in 38 reviews)

I love this place

Ulta Prestige Consultant (Current Employee) Novi, MI

ProsI love working with other people and helping women find the right makeup for them

ConsWorking with a customer to find the right makeup and having to ring someone up

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Growing along with a growing company

Prestige Manager (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

ProsI have been the Prestige Manager at my local store for 3 years now and I LOVE it! Great vendor support and guests that come in looking for me are a constant plus. I love learning about the new products and the seasonal launches constantly give you something to look forward to. The events are so much fun! I keep a running list of clients who like certain products so the planning is not hard but the actual events are the best! Gratis is fun and the discount is great-especially the additional discount we get during the holidays! Our General Manager lets me run my department and trusts my decisions, but is always there for support if I need her input. My hourly + my bonus is great (I had 30 years in the beauty/retail field) and the benefits once I went full time (after my store exceeded its goal and warranted more hours) are AMAZING! Great company-I could advance if I wanted to relocate-but I am totally content doing what I do!

ConsSome of the biggest challenges are the part-time employees (almost all college students) who don't have any work ethic. The spend more time grumbling about doing a task , than it would take to do it. They think they should get paid to just show up, and don't understand the concept of cleaning, stocking or any number of the things that make up a job in retail. And forget about trying to get them to approach a guest or suggest any additional products or trying to "upsell". They think they want to work in a "makeup store" until they discover that we actually expect them to work and not just play in the makeup.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of my biggest concerns is the amount of external theft that goes on in a single day. When you only have enough allotted hours to schedule two employees to work a shift, that just doesn't leave anyone to do LP. I would suggest that you give great thought to locking up the fragrance behind plexi and some of the higher shrink items like the Naked palettes.

Disappointing Experience

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

ProsReceived gratis (most of which had already been picked through), employee discount, discounted salon services, lovely group of associates

ConsHad to work every weekend unless I specially requested off and that's if the GM approved it, often closed 4-5 nights in a row, had to take my lunch break two hours into my shift so the GM could go home early, when I was promoted it took 4 months, several conversations with the GM and finally me emailing HR to receive the proper pay and full time status, the GM has no experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to start treating your employees like actual human beings and when they go above and beyond their job description and what they get paid to do, show some appreciation. I spent two years working my way up from cashier, to lead cashier, to merchandise and service coordinator, and finally an associate manager only to put in my two weeks and not even being able to finish out the two weeks because of the backlash I received. I had to contact HR about my pay and benefits because the GM failed to give me the information regarding insurance when I became full time. Because of this I went 4 months without insurance, I wasn't getting paid what I was promised AND I had not been accruing vacation time, sick pay, and holiday pay. I had to contact HR to get the whole issue solved which put a huge target on my back. Ever since then I've been singled out because I made the GM and DM look bad for not doing their job. I'm sad about the ways things ended and all of the lovely associates I had to leave but there isn't enough money in the world that could've kept me there. My advice to management is to take a better look at the people who hire to take care of your employees. I understand it's the beauty industry but to tell someone they need to wear more makeup or dress a certain way to get a job is not sending out the right message. I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in a company as I have been with Ulta.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GM

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Company
    Fair to employees
    Good discount for retail and salon
    Training

ConsNeed more hour to train
    Need more hour for guest service

Advice to Senior ManagementPayroll hours

Best Hairstylist Opportunities

Senior Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsCommission based salon, great health benefits. Many advancement opportunities. Always providing advanced education to designers

ConsIts corporate, so at times somethings fall through the cracks. sometimes too many things going at once

Advice to Senior ManagementPositive reinforcement always works better than negativity

This is a fast growing company with much to look forward to.

Deployment Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits start the day your hired and room for advancement will make working for Ulta worth your time.

ConsThere are strong values overall but morale as a whole could be negative at times. A simple fix would be more competitive wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of the job functions below your pay grade with more admiration for the big picture.

Great place to work

Salon Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFriendly environment!!!!!! Face of beauty... Upper management is willing to help you understand your goals.... Training is terrific... Happy place to work

ConsA lot of product knowledge to remember... not necessarily a bad thing just a lot.... Super fast environment. hard to find a con

Advice to Senior Managementproduct training for salon staff

Wonderful Place to Work!

Benefit Arch Expert (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsFantastic Gratis
    Great Managers
    Potential to make thousands in tips per month
    Room for movement
    Excellent Brand Training

ConsCorporate doesn't really care about the employees
    Very strict rules that change frequently
    Confusing changes to the POS and Ulta Rewards system frequently made customers unhappy
    Expect you to bend over backwards to pick up when other employees slack off

Outstanding

Prestige Lancome (Current Employee)

ProsNeed more cross training from vendors. I wish there were more benefits for part-timers as far as vacation pay earned.

ConsPleasant atmosphere and work-life balance. There is lots of room for growth and moving up with the company. There are goals but they are easily met. We have an awesome team of 3 at our counter and work together and help each other grow, we have lots of experience in cosmetics that make up successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the outstanding work

General manager

General Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsNo micromanagement attitude. Great District manager. Respect for your personal time, days off or vacation time. Fun environment, a lot of product knowledge given by vendors of each brand. Conferences are amazing!!! A lot of relevant clear information.

ConsLoss prevention issues. Depends on location you might have to deal with aggressive shoplifters on daily basis, frustrating. A lot of important payroll hours spent policing the store. A lot of repeated paperwork and countless unnecessary emails. Takes away from time that could be spend coaching and developing team.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate systems to minimize all the emails about same issue. Work on better system to deal with repeated shoplifters.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!