Ulta Beauty Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• I was basically thrown in with no support from upper management (in 52 reviews)

1,361 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

I've been with the company a little over a year and have gone through 4 promotions.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard and get rewarded. Satisfying job. Love seeing my efforts get recognized. I worked extremely hard and went from a prestige manager to a store manager.

Cons

None. If you put in the work, you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Continue developing talent. It's absolutely working.

2. Fun, for summer work

Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Beauty Consultant in Ashburn, VA

Pros

There was tons of free product given out, as well as gifts given for in-store and inter-store competitions. The atmosphere was vibrant and lively, and the discounts were good. The managers were big on educating us about product, so I left ULTA feeling like I had gained a lot of information about not just the products, but about all sorts of aspects of beauty and personal care. Our ULTA was also particularly close-knit since we put together the store, and opened and ran it with the same staff. The managers were super understanding and encouraging people-- an overall great place to work!

Cons

The staff room in the back was very, very small. Long hours to be standing, and a lot of time was spent with nothing to do. Our break system wasn't the best, and we had very little time to eat during our lunch blocks. They also made us carry these really tacky transparent purses to make sure we weren't stealing any of the product, which made it a bit uncomfortable during that time of the month. The stock room system was also really messy, which made restocking difficult, and finding out about product nearly impossible, but you figure out your own system eventually.

Advice to Management

The traininf session is very educational, but some of it is really just too common sense.

3. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langhorne, PA

Pros

This is an amazing place to work if your inton makeup,everyone is nice and helpful. You learn a lot and you get great gratis. Being promoted is easy if you work hard, I LOVED working here .

Cons

The only thing I thought was bad about this job was if your part time the hours and the pay aren't that great, but then again if your making money just for yourself its ok because going to work everyday is fun and exciting!!

Advice to Management

Well where i worked I would tell my management to keep doing what your doing because this is an awesome place to work!!

5. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

Pros

A lot of fun! Great discount. Not stressful at all. Only 4 hour shifts so you could actually have a social life and work there at the same time.

Cons

Of course once you get a bunch of girls together there will be a little bit of drama. And the pay wasn't too great.

Advice to Management

Maybe pay the girls working there a little more. Also there should be stricker rules on no call no show girls.

6. A Very Fun Place to Work!

Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

Many opportunities for growth, started as a part time cashier and rose to the Prestige Manager. Loads of free stuff for training and prizes. Easy workload. Fun workplace. Great salon discount and decent product discount.

Cons

The dress code is a bit limiting. Solid black bottoms, solid black shoes, solid black or white tops, but a few times a year you get to add a splash of color. Time clock policies are VERY strict, I worked there for almost 2 years and was a manager and was fired for time clock violations. Also, be prepared for very few hours coming in as part-time, sometimes as little as 3 hours a week. I got 12 hours most weeks when I was part-time and that was a lot. Be prepared to offer rewards program and Instyle subscriptions

Advice to Management

I would say ease up on the time clock policy, especially if cameras can be used to see when an associate leaves.

7. Wonderful place to work!

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Appleton, WI

Pros

Advancement opportunities, recognition for hard work, upbeat work environment, able to work with a variety of skincare and makeup lines, full service salon, employee discount, professional product lines, continuing education, high volume area, in store events

Cons

Open most holidays, but able to work with employees schedule Mall parking

Great place for hairstylists to work!

Current Employee - Master Hairstylist in Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Master Hairstylist in Geneva, IL

Pros

Great pay, you get paid commission which increases when you get promoted and it is the highest commission I have seen in salons. When you don't make commission you get paid a base hourly rate. Great benefits including insurance, vacation, free products, great discount to use in the whole store. Education is great, they are a Redken salon and give free education in which they pay you to go to. Has a steady flow of clientele. To get promoted there is a clear cut path to follow.

Cons

When your not busy you have to work the retail floor (and the setting even in the salon is very retail). You have to deal with the corporate heads, which for hairstylists is a harder thing to do. Ulta has their own guidelines so it keeps you back a little from being artistic (i.e. dress code, hair, and tattoos). There can be a lot of discounting on services which can really drag down your numbers.

9. It was a perfect part-time job.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales in Louisville, KY

Pros

Wonderful managers, fun environment, lots of training.

Cons

Corporate seemed out of touch with what customers/workers wanted and needed. Bad customer service policies. It seemed as though a lot of the new policies weren't well thought out.

10. Love IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

Pros

so much fun, friendly, enjoyable place to work

Cons

hard to advance within the retail company

11. ULTA teaches you the foundations of the beauty industry

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Portage, MI
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Portage, MI

Pros

I loved working at ULTA for 1) the amazing discount...25% off and twice yearly 40% off! I also enjoyed the atmosphere! Also gratis and training...I learned a lot!

Cons

Holidays are so so busy, but it really does make your shift go by way faster when you stay busy.

Advice to Management

During the beginning of the new fiscal year management likes to cut back hours major, which ultimately effects your pay check.

Showing 1,361 of 1,365 reviews