Ulta Beauty Reviews

2.9
1,075 Reviews
Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 52 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I've been with the company a little over a year and have gone through 4 promotions.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard and get rewarded. Satisfying job. Love seeing my efforts get recognized. I worked extremely hard and went from a prestige manager to a store manager.

Cons

None. If you put in the work, you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Continue developing talent. It's absolutely working.

2. Cosmetologist/Customer Service/Retail

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for individuals recently graduating from Cosmetology, Esthetician school. Awesome place to learn, grow, and become involved in a multi-billion dollar industry doing hair, makeup, or working for a product line or even the brow bar.

Cons

Difficult to get full-time hours.

3. Associate manager operations

Current Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working there. Loved the products and what it stood for.

Cons

Corporate says they care if you're having issues, yet I was and was fired claiming I was lying. Schedules are only a week in advance, even the management ones change which is suppose to be done every month. Raises are pathetic.

Advice to Management

Do the bare minimum. Clearly working hard gets you no where.

5. Manager

Former Employee - Salon Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Salon Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

I loved my job. I used to walk in every day happy to be there. Worked in 4 different locations and was challenged and motivated.

Cons

Discouraging work environment from co managers. Corporate was not willing to see what was clearly a problem. Co managers were unprofessional.

Advice to Management

There are two sides to every story. Do a better job of listening and conflict resolution.

6. Benefit arch expert

Current Employee - Arch Expert in Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Arch Expert in Davie, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a fun atmosphere if you love playing with makeup and helping educate guest on products. As an arch expert you get tips from services and gratis as well. You can start as a part time and work your way up to full time so there's room to grow.

Cons

Understaff,sometimes you have to do brows and try to help other guests at the same time which is frustrating. As an arch expert you have to concentrate on selling benefit products and reaching goals which can be difficult if you're not a pushy seller.

Advice to Management

Help the brow bar reach their goal, recommend benefit products

7. arch expert

Current Employee - Arch Expert in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Arch Expert in New York, NY

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Gratis is the best part of the job

Cons

Managers are based off favoritism

Advice to Management

Unrealistic goals

8. As a Merchandise and Service Coordinator I was responsible for the weekly marketing changes as well as all inventory.

Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. Good upper management.

Cons

Sub-par training. Could improve customer experience.

9. Probably my favorite job

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts on merchandise and salon services was hands down the best part about working for Ulta. Health and vacation benefits were pretty standard but better than what is offered at other retail stores. The team at our store got a long really well and there was little to no drama.I got to work with the greatest people every day! It was a lot of fun planning and executing events in the prestige department. I saw lot's of opportunity for growth within the company for those who worked hard with a specific goal in mind. Getting Gratis (free products) from vendors was great as well and truly did help you learn more about the products to drive sales. Bonuses if meeting store goals for sales, profit. shrink, etc. Since the company was always having contests for the club cards, it was very easy to motivate the employees and get them engaged in activities. Personally, I enjoyed the pace of the store I was at (high volume) and wearing a lot of hats. From being Brand Awareness Champion to Supervising truck procedures, preparing for inventory, promoting in store prestige and salon events, to setting up the store for a new ad, I enjoyed all of it. I actually really struggled with leaving for another opportunity.

Cons

Work life balance wasn't always the best. Extended store hours during the holidays meant the store is open from 7am until 12pm some days. Combine that with extra shipments of merchandise meant that the coverage for the day needed to be 3am-1am. Even the higher volume stores didn't have more than 4 managers to work within those hours. Also, it became very apparent that the district managers and up have no clue what is going on in the stores. They checked in occasionally and spent most of their time in the back office answering emails rather than engaging the staff and customers and absorbing the culture of each store. GMs are given unrealistic sales goals that if not met mean that labor hours need to be reduced. This often leaves a closing manager hanging with only one cashier and one person on the sales floor to do all of the nightly tasks and assist customers while also watching everyone to make sure no one is stealing. Preventing theft is such a priority for the company, yet they offer little training to the staff as a whole and often leave managers making the choice of completing tasks/engaging customers or standing in the perfume department waiting for someone to try and steal something. Survey scores are also a huge deal. 80% of the poor reviews my store received had to do with Ulta's marketing of the 20% off coupon or something with our return policy. Things that were out of our store's control. Yet, we would take the hit when we did get negative scores. Luckily, our store had a great base of loyal customers who consistently left good comments, so there was a balance.

Advice to Management

Buy more company-approved gratis to give to cashiers and other employees not in the prestige department. They work hard too and should be rewarded a couple of times a year with gratis. Keep up the contests and store events, they are a lot of fun and keep the staff engaged and motivated. DM's should spend more time at stores that are not hitting sales goals or doing poorly with surveys and really dive into the problems. Some of your GMs are overwhelmed and some just don't care. Poll the other managers to see what the issues are and listen to their suggestions. Do something about the holiday hours. I get that it's a busy time of year, but there is no reason for the store to be open past 10pm. There's just not enough traffic. No one is meeting sales goals at 11pm in the prestige department. It wastes a ton of the already not nearly enough labor hours.

10. Prestige Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people to work with with room to grow. Good benefits. Nice discounts.

Cons

Hours are constantly cut. Always feel understaff. Task cant get done and customers are not given the best experience.

Advice to Management

Give stores more hours to get tasks done

11. Great Company to work for

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Great access to knowledge, Fun environment, 25% discount and often receive gratis to try out new product. Great informational videos to help learn about the company and the "Ulta" way of doing things.

Cons

Since Ulta is a "one stop beauty destination" there are many diverse brands and it can be overwhelming to learn all of them quickly. The customers do tend to get upset if you are unaware of the particular brand they are looking for.

Advice to Management

Allow new associates time to watch all training videos/ brand videos before they start their first shift on the sales floor.