Ulta Beauty

Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon

Mary Dillon

Pros:
  • "Great employee discount on product as well as salon services"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Good discount on salon services"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions"
    in 41 reviews
  • "You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Worst Job I have ever had!

Prestige Consultant (Former Employee)
    Epping, NH

ProsThere isn't much. You get a discount of about 20% but that makes it equal to what you would pay at Target or any other drugstore. Shifts get cut which is common in any retail environment. Pay was acceptable but still very low compared to other companies.

Cons-Their POS system is completely outdated
    -Their return policy is ridiculous and over complicated
    - Other employees would stand around and talk while you're helping customers.
    - HUGE lack of training on product lines
    - Promotional and sale driven atmosphere
    -Their primary focus is on opening beauty cards

Bottom line....they're not Sephora.....

Advice to Senior ManagementMy store manager was very nice and helpful along with their LP, but all the other leadership was extremely rude and cold. They could never answer any of my questions or all had different answers on policies. Very poor leadership and communication skills.

Great opportunity for growth

Associate Manager (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsI was promoted up the chain from a cashier to an associate manager of people in less than a year. (4 promotions) and I plan to continue to the corporate level. I really enjoy everything I have learned about the business and being a manager has prepared me for future difficult situations that I may face. The entire staff works together to help make budget and goals.

ConsSometimes the goals that the company sets for individual stores are not realistic to what we actually end up doing. I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake suggestions for improvement into consideration. There will always be areas to become stronger as a company, and employees feel included and respected when their thoughts are heard.

Not as great a it seems

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were fun to work with. They offer good discounts with opportunities to get free products. You learn a lot about beauty products and hair. You get a paycheck.

ConsManagement is un-suportive and irresponsible. Little communication between departments. I worked in their salon and their retail associates hardly ever helped promote salon services.There were never enough associates scheduled so we were always interrupted when we were with our clients by customers on the sales floor.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid like the plague!

Pros50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products.

ConsExpect favoritism. You work your butt off, and the manager will STILL promote friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage a store.

Disappointing Experience

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

ProsReceived gratis (most of which had already been picked through), employee discount, discounted salon services, lovely group of associates

ConsHad to work every weekend unless I specially requested off and that's if the GM approved it, often closed 4-5 nights in a row, had to take my lunch break two hours into my shift so the GM could go home early, when I was promoted it took 4 months, several conversations with the GM and finally me emailing HR to receive the proper pay and full time status, the GM has no experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to start treating your employees like actual human beings and when they go above and beyond their job description and what they get paid to do, show some appreciation. I spent two years working my way up from cashier, to lead cashier, to merchandise and service coordinator, and finally an associate manager only to put in my two weeks and not even being able to finish out the two weeks because of the backlash I received. I had to contact HR about my pay and benefits because the GM failed to give me the information regarding insurance when I became full time. Because of this I went 4 months without insurance, I wasn't getting paid what I was promised AND I had not been accruing vacation time, sick pay, and holiday pay. I had to contact HR to get the whole issue solved which put a huge target on my back. Ever since then I've been singled out because I made the GM and DM look bad for not doing their job. I'm sad about the ways things ended and all of the lovely associates I had to leave but there isn't enough money in the world that could've kept me there. My advice to management is to take a better look at the people who hire to take care of your employees. I understand it's the beauty industry but to tell someone they need to wear more makeup or dress a certain way to get a job is not sending out the right message. I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in a company as I have been with Ulta.

Ulta Beauty

Associate Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTwenty five percent discount on all merchandise you purchase.
    Gratis is given to prestige consultants and management.
    You get to connect with a lot of vendors for brands that are sold in the store.
    This job is all about the guest. If you're a strong people person, you'll love it.

ConsA lack of training programs for associates and management looking to advance in a career with Ulta Beauty. Technologically and operationally, this company is very behind - there are many hoops and loops you have to go through in order to get things done. No work life balance - as management, you will work every holiday. Gossip is everywhere in this company - never have I ever worked for a company with this much drama between stores within the same district. Stress is unreasonably high because of the tasks this company expects to get done, yet does not provide enough hours per month to complete all of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline your operational processes. Update your POS system so that it does not interfere with the guest experience. Provide incentives to why part time associates should care about sales and up selling. Create a better program to advance full time management in their career.

fun atmosphere, terrible pay

Aesthetician (Current Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

Prosgreat perks from vendors, good discounts, fun atmosphere, many trainings, interacting with customers

Consminimum wage, hard to move up positions, no respect from managers, high turnover

Advice to Senior Managementmore encouragement

VERY DISAPPOINTED

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsOnly the discount . 25%

ConsCan't use discount online.
    Management is clueless and treat employee's like criminals daily.
    BARELY ANY HOURS...I WORKED 5 HOURS IN THE PAST MONTH!

"Favorites of managers only get hours."
    I'm available every weekend but never scheduled.
    VERY LOW PAY, barely over minimum wage.

Most of my fellow employees didn't know much about the products or how to do make up in general.

Ulta is great for customers but not employees, definitely won't continue to shop here once I quit.

OH AND WE GET OUR SCHEDULE 1 OR 2 DAYS BEFORE THE WEEK SO I NEVER KNOW HOW TO PLAN MY LIFE AROUND THIS JOB. I find out on Friday if I work Sunday. RIDICULOUS!

Advice to Senior ManagementActually give the hardworking employees some hours instead of giving all hours to your favorites.

COMMUNICATE.

SCHEDULE FASTER.

Horrible

Beauty Advisor (Current Employee)
    Norman, OK

Prosdiscount, set break times, half price at salon

ConsDrama, extremely rude head manager, pay, hours, no training by management.
    At first I was getting decent hours and shifts now it is always 15 or less hours a week and only a 4 hour shift. Heas manager is just plain rude. Makes it miserable for any and everyone working there regardless if your cashier, salon, presitge or other managment. Rude notes are constantly left everywhere as to why the truck of 5 pallets wasnt finished in 4 hours when only 5 people work truck. Mass cosmetics is just down right horrendous. Many items have no placement on shelves so alot of products don't get put out. You can only have a salon service on Monday-Wednesday even if the salon says it is ok they are open again a rude not is left to both employees. If you do not use your headset when need managemnt you are always corrected saying "if you are a cashier use your headset I will not come up there if not."
    Head manager gives constant rude remarks, facial expressions and is just awful person. Bag checks are always, you even have to open your fast food cups to her to make sure nothing is in them. Head manager wants everything out ASAP and ad fast as possible yet again rude notes are left because it is sloppy and not in straight lines. We are timed on every box we put away, never is fast enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon'nt expect people to stay long when 4 hour shifts are expected everyday, constant hour cuts therefor truck is never finished on time. Treat your employees like han beings and not dirt. Ugly notes, looks and comments are unacceptable especially if you are GM. Train employees all the same not every manager train different ways. Hire a new GM the entire staff would appreciate it.

Horrible place to work

Prestige (Current Employee)

ProsGratis - training with vendors

ConsBeing hired to be a "prestige manager" and being forced to work on a cash register all day while customers walk around looking for help without anyone to help them. This is ridiculous - tired of dealing with angry, frustrated customers because there is not enough staff due to our hours being cut. Can't wait to leave this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop opening so many stores and concentrate on taking care of the ones you have - read the customer reviews and see that customer service is severely lacking. Hire GM's that at least have some interest in the beauty business.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon. All 652 reviews posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees.