Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 59 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Management does not listen to concerns.

Great place to work, they treat their stylists very well & lots of incentives to move up in the company.

Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good incentives & benefits to work up to, full stock of supplies for the salon even down to new blow dryers, awesome discount & holiday discounts, great beauty info and advice from trusted beauty experts and vendors, great training, above average management, access to hundreds of prestige & low end cosmetics & haircare.

Cons

Huge divide between cashier side and salon side, not an intimate salon setting, only redken color line used & limited selection in that, mass training that can sometimes be rushed and lazy, grumpy customers because it is retail after all, old machines (product scanners, computers, etc), not always high quality employees hired due to needing to fill positions, but hours are clocked down to a t and sometimes you'll work -10 hours a week.

Work on joining cashier side to salon side nationwide with possible store training combined, train managers better especially on hour/time management so the limited amount of hours given can be used more effectively, get more vendors/reps into stores--even the little ones because we love the outside education, work on getting outside companies to send samples/run promotions where we can use their products especially for the salon-- it really helps sell their products!

Beauty Advisor/Prestige

Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant in Carbondale, IL
    Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant in Carbondale, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

GRATIS! You get a lot of free product when you achieve sales goals throughout the store. For example, sale 5 Too Faced products and receive a free too faced product (predetermined). Or signing up the most guest for the company's rewards card. If your are a prestige advisor, you go through training of prestige brand cosmetics (bare minerals, urban decay, smash box, lorac,ect.) you receive gratis for each product you receive training for, mind you it's 2 hours of training so that's pretty awesome! If you work hard to meet/ exceed store goals you will rewarded with the opportunity of more hours and trust me, you're gonna need it (more on this in 'cons' section). The costumers can completely make your shifts! Seriously, I was wearing a lipgloss from Smashbox and a mother and daughter came in looking for nude lipgloss. The daughter was helping her mom look for some "conservative" nudes, long story short she was so in love with the gloss I was wearing so I encouraged her to try it on her self. She LOVED it! She didn't want to take it off! She couldn't stop looking at herself, and she began to cry, yes cry. She told me in Spanish that I would always be the girl who put color in her life! Imagine that! That make my week, no YEAR. Frequent guest will know your name/ love your makeup and always want your advice. The discount is pretty awesome. 25% off, clearance included! 50% salon services, 75% if you work the flagship store. During employee appreciation period (usually during November) you get 40% all your purchases!! Crazy right! If you're a makeup junkie this place is going to be the death of you. There will even be times when certain items go on sale just for employees. We can now use the reward card system, this just started in Feb. Depending on certain stores, the management can be super cool, friendly, laid back but hard working. Somewhat flexible schedule if you're part time.

Cons

Very tight payroll. Each store has monthly sales goal, if a store does not meet it's monthly goals, this will result in a shortage in hours and I mean SHORT. If you're ULTA is in a rural or college town, expect business to be slow at times which will mean a drought of hours. Full time employee automatically get 40 hours so anything that's left is divided up amongst remaining employees (this is when working hard to help to meet goals come in handy) which could mean as little as 2-4 hours a week! Management has hidden agendas. Rather to hire the right person for the job, they will hire their friend. Stores can be severely understaffed so the workload can become over whelming. Minimum wage; you will receive a small raise if you are given a good evaluation

Great experience for those looking to expand your knowledge of retail operations and beauty.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Quarterly Trainings, in store professional development, constant knowledge of sales goals and accomplishments.

Cons

Pay doesn't match the work load, depending on role.

Be more open to learn from associates.

Stressing

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

really there not any pros other than discount

Cons

Pleasing upper management and no promotions

Good Company to work for

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your store teams and the guests....vendor interaction

Cons

Upper Management
    don't always have best interest of internal guest

Must really be super super strong in operations
    expectations are some times hard to reach

Considered reapplying

Former Employee - Task/Plank in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Task/Plank in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You start above minimum wage so that's a plus. I made a good friend there and the work is rather simple. Managers are able to work with you directly with it being a small store. They have a good employee discount as well.

Cons

Didn't like the benefits that were offered.

Have strict goals for the amount of workload to be accomplished each week.

Nice, but not enough pay

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Discounts, opportunity to learn about products

Cons

Low pay, dm out of touch at store level, not enough people on the floor, allow for better pay across the boards not just the favorites

Stop expecting truck to be done in 4 hours, quit bringing on power hungry people for upper management

Love it!!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience if you love make-up
    25% discount
    Great flexible hours for school or other jobs
    Fun environment with others

Cons

Some managers might be a little more strict
    For discounts- if your buying something for some one make sure it's Your card or your cash out your pocket.

Good job while you're in school!

Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Cashier in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers made the job fun. I also loved trying and learning about different types of makeup. This is a perfect job while you're in college, they are very flexible with your school hours, at least my manager was! The discount was really nice, you get 25% off everything, and 50% off in the salon! Gratis (free beauty products/makeup) was also a plus, the better job you do, the more gratis you get!

Cons

If you don't know too much about makeup or beauty products, I recommend you educating yourself on the products before applying. They just throw you at customers to try makeup on them and give them information on products even if you don't know too much about a brand. It would help to familiarize yourself with the products. Also, if you're working part time, hour would vary widely. There were weeks where I was only scheduled 8 hours, and then some weeks when I would be scheduled about 25 hours. The pay is not that great either. Also, it sucks when you're co workers are always calling in to work. You will get called ALL THE TIME on your days off and get asked if you can come in last minute.

Do a better job at training employees on the job and on the products. I always thought it was unfair that the managers or people in the "prestige" area would get to go to trainings, learn about products, and receive gratis all the time whereas cashiers, for example, would be expected to know about these products without the training, sell it to customers, and not receive as much free product.

Ulta Beauty Photos