Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that wants to see you do well

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Fremont, CA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay (offered me a few bucks more than what I asked), great co-workers, amazing management who had your schedule ready and available a month in advance, excellent. Great opportunities to move up in management and new stores opening everywhere all the time.

Cons

Fluctuating schedule would make this impossible for a college student. Hours ranged from nearly full time, not only a couple hours a day.

Don't over hire, and try to be as consistent with the schedule as you can.

Organization not what it claims to be in values and culture. The organization has outgrown it's structure.

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working for Ulta Beauty is learning about the products, skincare, hair care, and cosmetics and what they are really about, and receiving gratis giving me the ability to see for myself.

Cons

The challenges in working for Ulta Beauty are the fact that the company has higher expectations of workload and customer service duties than they are willing to provide the resources for (ie. payroll hours), and the communication systems are disorganized, inconsistent, and inadequate, and if your district manager is not a good person the company will not listen to you or help you but will back them no matter what. The organization lacks the ability to properly train managers, and some just never get trained for their jobs, causing mass confusion and overwhelmed staff because most everyone is new to the company. Depending on the manager, you can have a work-life balance. Values do not reflect their claims of values and culture. They would be good values if they were exercised.

Try bottom up strategies. Upper management and execs need to take a better look at what happens on the front lines, in the stores, when the expectations do not meet the resources. The training needs to be more in depth, longer and truly a priority for every new manager. Focus on training those who want to move up, to move up instead of hiring outside since Ulta is not the average retail store. Teach managers to understand the salon staff and learn to be coaches and teachers not hard nosed, unrealistic, formal, militants. Recruiters: beware of using unrealistic impression tools and exaggerating the true culture and opportunities of the company, this has created the loss of some excellent talent.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sanford, FL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Thorough training/paid training
    Nice employees for the most part
    Decent starting pay
    Clean & nice environment

Cons

Will fire you without notice
    Hard to get schedule
    Management ignores/hangs up on you/puts you on hold for long time
    Assigns tasks not in job description
    Unprofessional by not contacting employees/ignoring employees
    Basically used employees who were "cashiers" as just people to stock their store before grand opening and let employees go with no notice/communication

Be professional and contact your employees and let them know they no longer work for you
    Treat employees better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a company it once was.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on hair services and product.
    I have met some great people that I would consider friends once I leave.

Cons

DM has their favorite managers and GMs. They receive special attention including gifts and inside information. If they don't like you, no matter how hard you work, you will purposefully hold you back and treat you different. There is no encouragement or praise only threats of write ups.
    Upper managers (DM and regional) dig through our damages (returned product from customers) and makes us put anything that looks "sellable" back on the shelf. BUYER BEWARE you may be buying items like lipstick, mascara and hair products that have been most likely used and returned by other customers. It's disgusting but we are made to do it then threatened to be written up over high damage numbers.

The district is about to experience very high turnover because everyone I know is unhappy and looking for other jobs. This used to be a great place to work and the last year has been a nightmare!
    Stop letting upper management promote their friends/favorites and promote the best candidates.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Quality Products used, Great training, Clean Salon, Guaranteed Hourly pay in salon.

Cons

You are expected to have 60 clients rebook with you every month before any advancement on part time hours. New stylists get first dibs on new Clients even if they were hired a day after you and there are three of them! You are expected to go up to customers and convert them into your clients if you are not busy in the salon. Favoritism is a huge problem. Being treated like a child and being brought into the office for "Coaching" constantly.

Look a little closer at who the real problems are in the salon instead of Favoring certain people. Less useless petty coaching with useless strict rules and more in salon training! Stop favoritism within the company. Make it easier for everyone to equally make money in the salon by creating a more fair system.

Associate manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The only pro is the "gratis" you receive from some of the vendors but doesn't make up for all the cons. 401k, vacation and health insurance
    50% off salon services

Cons

I've been in management for over 15 years and this by far is the worst training program I've ever seen. This company doesn't invest in their employees and doesn't give their stores the payroll they need to keep customers happy. Minimal pay, low payroll, the employee discount is only 25%, the DM loves to threaten to write the entire store team up. No weekends off, work life balance is the worst I've ever seen in any company. If you have a family RUN! They stayed open 24 hours straight on Thanksgiving, didn't close Easter Sunday when no one else in our center were open. The GM's are over worked, the stores are under staffed they set you up to fail by making it almost impossible to provide great customer service.

Increase your payroll hours
    Invest in a great training program, will be worth it in the long run.
    Implement a work/life balance program

Poor experience, poor management, no training, no technology.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Vendor events, free samples, and beauty tips.

Cons

There is no technology, no training, lack of structure, low morale, bad attitudes.

Culture needs to be more positive and healthy. It's important to change processes and be open to new ideas, which they are not.

Benefit Brow Bar

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

good clientele building. Tips are decent. on going training available and gratis.

Cons

Horrible store layout. not enough hours or coverage per volume of store(s). Too many salon and esthetics promos that hurt the licensed employees ultimate advancement. bad benefits for non-mgmt members. low pay but expected incredibly high return. unfair pay brackets. management should be overall more experienced. bad work-life balance.

Pay people what they are worth. stop lowballing your salon with endless promos that conflict with level jumping. support your full-time boutiques more for they are and can be your best approach to client retention.

Growing along with a growing company

Current Employee - Prestige Manager  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been the Prestige Manager at my local store for 3 years now and I LOVE it! Great vendor support and guests that come in looking for me are a constant plus. I love learning about the new products and the seasonal launches constantly give you something to look forward to. The events are so much fun! I keep a running list of clients who like certain products so the planning is not hard but the actual events are the best! Gratis is fun and the discount is great-especially the additional discount we get during the holidays! Our General Manager lets me run my department and trusts my decisions, but is always there for support if I need her input. My hourly + my bonus is great (I had 30 years in the beauty/retail field) and the benefits once I went full time (after my store exceeded its goal and warranted more hours) are AMAZING! Great company-I could advance if I wanted to relocate-but I am totally content doing what I do!

Cons

Some of the biggest challenges are the part-time employees (almost all college students) who don't have any work ethic. The spend more time grumbling about doing a task , than it would take to do it. They think they should get paid to just show up, and don't understand the concept of cleaning, stocking or any number of the things that make up a job in retail. And forget about trying to get them to approach a guest or suggest any additional products or trying to "upsell". They think they want to work in a "makeup store" until they discover that we actually expect them to work and not just play in the makeup.

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of external theft that goes on in a single day. When you only have enough allotted hours to schedule two employees to work a shift, that just doesn't leave anyone to do LP. I would suggest that you give great thought to locking up the fragrance behind plexi and some of the higher shrink items like the Naked palettes.

This company needs to get it together.

Current Employee - Cashier/Task Associate  in  Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, good team member, occasional gratis.

Cons

horrible clientele, dysfunctional management, no time off, no help at all.

You need people to run a company. Having two associates in a store as big as ulta is no way to run things. The store is a mess because you have no help cleaning it. Please learn how to run a business.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!