Ulta Beauty

Updated December 21, 2014
2.8

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Doesn't value their employees

Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Orem, UT

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount on product and services, fun customer base, lots of education opportunities, good gratis.

Cons

The company doesn't value its employees. You aren't appreciated for the work you do. Because of this, there is a high turnover rate. They don't pay fairly or consistently. They expect you to go above and beyond without compensation, I have even been expected to take a promotion and much higher level of responsibility without a pay raise. Their training program is terrible. You are just thrown into your position and expected to succeed without the tools for success and then get reprimanded if you don't do perfectly. Very high stress.

The ultimate!

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

You create how much you want to make. They give you the tools to use to be successful. It's up to YOU to use them! What better situation can you ask for where there are potential client walking right out on the sales floor. Other salons you have to wait till someone walks in the door to request your serves. Love it here!

Cons

Haven't experienced any cons as of yet.

Great company & solid salon to be a part of

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Designer in The Salon, you have the opportunity to earn an hourly wage as you build your clientele and then eventually work into hitting commission consistently. This is such a helpful transition whether you are new to the area or to the industry in general. There is a lot of room to move up as a stylist and consistent advanced training through Redken every season. I was able to become a Redken Certified Colorist and also move up to a Senior Designer in less than 2 years with the company.

Cons

Can be challenging to work up to full time as your hours depend on how many the salon is given in the company budget each week. If you "earn" the hours by being consistently fully booked you are in the clear, but if you are new to the area it can take at least a few months. Also can be challenging that you cannot do any freelance work (bridal, photoshoots, etc) on the side while working here since it is a non-compete.

Give constructive criticism. Have clear, direct communication while also choosing your words kindly and carefully. Be considerate that not everyone will approach their career with the same sense of workaholic-ism that you might but that doesn't mean they are not passionate about what they do.

Great

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours you will get hours ! A Lot of call in so more hours for you . 25% discount off anything

Cons

You have to push Ulta reward cards, even to grumpy customers. If you have lip stick/gloss make-up MAKE sure you get it checked off by a manager. Even if you didn't buy it from Ulta they Will think you stole it. A lot of standing and if you work 5/6 hours no Breaks ! It sucks

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company has grown tremendously in the past decade. It has so many oppty for growth in its career options. Its a fun atmosphere to work in. They really care about the guest and empower all employees to do whats right for our customers.

Cons

Working in a dominant female feild can get catty and frustrating at times.there can be Lots of drama at times. But if you can get through that its a great place to work.

Take time for your employees. Really listen to their needs.

Good Job

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employees are great, none are catty. Management is very flexible and friendly. If you love beauty, this is a great place to work.

Cons

They require you to do a lot of work, but with little pay. I find myself doing three different jobs, yet getting the salary for only one. Sometimes your hard work can go un-noticed. Long hours on feet.

Love my job, wish the company was more organized.

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

It's a fun environment. Everyone is super nice and supportive. We help each other learn something new everyday. The pay is pretty good. The discount is awesome. There is a lot of opportunity to move up. I've gotten promoted twice in the last 8 months.

Cons

We need more people on the floor to decrease our shrink (loss of products due to damages or theft).
    The store is pretty disorganized, but that's also just because we do not have enough hours to give people.

Prestige Beauty Advisor Job

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Love interacting with people, helping them find the right products, coworkers are fun and friendly, gratis is nice. Really love the job itself.

Cons

Pay is not great, hours are not consistent, communication is not the best when it comes to employees being informed on training dates, expectations, etc...you get your schedule only one week in advance. Also your hours can change without your notice and often you are told when you are working your shift that you are going home early. Goes with retail I suppose, but still.

Comminicate! I wasn't even informed of the dress code until a month in. Didn't know about training dates until 2 days before and was expected to be there. Really wish the schedule could be more consistent. But I know that is challenging.

Welcome to Ulta..where cutting payroll is the main objective of the management team.

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, Benefit eligibility begins on your first day of employment. For the most part, the staff is eager and willing to work hard in order to get scheduled shifts.

Cons

It always comes down to cutting payroll. Making budget? Great! Now cut payroll to make up for the weeks you missed budget. Missed your budget? Too bad.. now we have to scramble to cut hours to get back on track. How does a manager effectively service clients giving them a "Wow" experience without adequate staff? As a manager, my objective is to manage, not to be a high paid cashier. Manager's are salaried and there is an unspoken rule that management should be shouldering the burden by working well beyond 40 hours. It baffles me that there are plenty of staff members that are WILLING and ABLE to work, yet I am always having to cut hours to save payroll. NPS is a joke. Of course clients are going to complain when on most evenings there is only one cashier and a manager ringing up sales and I'm lucky to have 2 Beauty Advisors on the selling floor on a busy Saturday evening.

As a seasoned retail manager I had little to no training. I was basically thrown in with no support from upper management. The 10 day training that I was supposed to have, ended on day 3. I was told the most important thing to learn is ringing up sales and that I could expect to spend most of my time on register. Morale is always a huge issue as the management team is over worked and under paid. The associates beg me for hours that I cannot give them. Upper management shrugs their shoulders and says "That's just the way it is".

Allow Managers to MANAGE! They cannot be expected to operate effectively without proper staffing. This company's main objective appears to be "do more with less". It's quite simple..allow your managers to actually do their job. Give them more payroll and the ability to allow Beauty Advisors to cultivate relationships with clients which of course lead to sales. It's not rocket science..

Salon manager

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Fun environment
    Education
    Salon in retail environment beauty is a plus

Cons

Work load
    General managers lack of salon knowledge can be a challenge.

Better understanding of salon verses retail industry.