Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 59 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 48 reviews)

• I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

limited

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

makeup, salon and product discount, salon services discounted

Cons

no training hours, upper management is like nothing i have experienced. not in a good way.

Great experience

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best job I've ever had..you learn so much from classes and talking with other prestige consultants. Also, you get to meet so many connections that can help you if you ever want to venture out into the industry. The clients you meet are awesome, especially if you work close or in a major city like I did. I've done makeup and retained relationships with fashion designers, corporate leaders, and so many other interesting people. I worked full time as a prestige consultant.

Cons

Nothing really too major. I just heard some other the other not as successful store numbers weren't as high volume or organized. So a lot depends on which store location you work at.

Pay could be a little bit better, especially if someone plans on being there for a long time but I think that may be up to corporate, I am not sure. My store had really great relationships with each other and I think that is really important when running a business, and something to work on while managing.

Glamorous

Former Employee - Salon Coordinator
    Former Employee - Salon Coordinator

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Free salon services, great hours, set schedule

Cons

Looking good enough for them.

Be open to new people & ideas

They are not completely honest about the job.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Gadsden, AL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Gadsden, AL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers and the beautiful salon. Nice, clean store.

Cons

No hours. They don't tell you this going in. I quit a fairly good job getting about 25 hrs. to getting 8 hrs! They hire way too many stylist and then give them all 4 to 15 hrs a week. Who could live on that? They will also tell you when someone quits, you will get more hours, but they just hire more people. Unless you have a large clientele, don't bother applying. I just moved to the area and they knew this. The other stylist who are from the area and have been doing hair for 10+ years are getting a whopping 12 hrs a week.

Stop over hiring stylist and give the ones you have at least 20 hrs a week. How can you build a clientele when your never at work?

Overworked, Not enough pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gratis, samples, 25% employee discount

Cons

Unorganized, Not enough hours, Not enough pay for the amount of work done, asked to perform tasks out of job description

Hire cleaning people, Cashiers and Managers are not Maids!

Very high expectations and demands the pay is very low for what is expected their employees.

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at Ulta is the gratis is great, and the insurance is amazing as well as being reasonable in cost to the associates.

Cons

In order to accomplish all that is expected you have to do a lot of your job on your own time or it is impossible to get everything done. Upper management basically the DM has absolutely no people skills. Store Managers are hired that have no idea how to manage a store very disorganized. There is never enough payroll.

There is no work-life balance with this company. So much is expected with little pay, raises are horrible still doing 10 - 25 cent raises even for managers its embarrassing. Bonus based on sales are set so high almost impossible to meet the sales goals they set to get any kind of bonus.;

Horrible made me and other employees come to work while we were sick. I worked in prestige cosmetics where we did prom makeup and they forced us to come in with strep and mono. I was so disgusted I quit and they didn't understand.

Former Employee - Prestige Sales Associate in Commack, NY
    Former Employee - Prestige Sales Associate in Commack, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent discount. Pretty flexible with hours with students too. Not a stressful working environment either.

Cons

Made employees work when they were sick with strep and mono. God only knows how many poor people got contaminated.

Don't make people come to work when they're sick especially when they have doctors notes and hospital documentation.

meh

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent gratis, fun trainings, fun customers

Cons

lots of drama amongst management and co-workers, no hours, disorganized, poor loss prevention policies

implement better loss prevention policies, create better sense of community among employees, pay more attention to customers

Better love your team... The phrase "Work-Homelife Balance" in this case is your store being your Homelife!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people! Great sense of community. Discount. Gratis. Education through Vendors who really do love their lines. Expansion = opportunity and growth. Decently supportive HR and LP departments.

Cons

Too much to do with NO way to do it (no payroll, crap pay = crap employees, etc). Corporate completely out of touch with reality. Put on a show when they come in, yeah everything's just great! Not enough training. Not enough hours. Not enough money.

Do surprise visits. Don't invite the DMs. See what's really happening in your stores. Ask the opinion of store management... They know (and care!)... It would be nice to feel like you cared what they have to say, other than a "culture survey".

ulta is a pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you can meet long term friends, plus you get to play around with make up.

Cons

it can get boring. there is not much to do.

nothing, management is pretty good

Ulta Beauty Photos