Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

2009 Retail

Current Employee - Hair Designer I  in  Estero, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Designer I in Estero, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Constant flow of new clients

Cons

Small work space, manager picked favorites, retail required for full commission

I quit after 8 days

Former Employee - Prestige Manager  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Gratis (free product), Employee Discount on haircare. The other girls in prestige were awesome.

Cons

Non-existant onboarding. I did not feel like a manager. I was simply a makeup seller who could approve returns and check employees out when the left the building. The hair dressers were catty and rude, and seemed very lazy.

I never saw any of the other managers smile. Not even once. I had to introduce myself to everyone, because I was not introduced to anyone on my first few days. I was told that I shouldn't be asking for my breaks and lunches, and that I would be lucky to get one 15 minute break in an 8 hour shift.

Fun Environment, Terrible Job

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discount on product, I loved most of the people I worked with, Easy to get time off, Fun to be in the be beauty industry environment with all the new products & hair & makeup trends.

Cons

It was very difficult having the retail side managers run the salon. Some issues we had at our store were: Very little training, Too many discounts/ promotions on services, it made it very difficult to build a loyal clientele and people ALWAYS expected discounts.There was no receptionist to take salon calls/appointments and no voicemail for clients to leave messages, so we had to answer calls while we were with clients. The commission/ hourly pay are low and they make it very difficult to "level jump" by always cutting hours to make sure the salon would make its budget. Your numbers are all they care about, and its harder to make your numbers with things like $55 color and cut specials and barely any hours. They constantly changed stylists schedules without notice, and we rarely ever received gratis we were promised.

Try harder to understand the salon business is different than the retail business! & to follow the rules they enforce themselves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Responsibility outweighs the below market pay

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The products Ulta has to offer are phenomenal, the gratis rocks and the general manager conference held once a year is absolutely amazing!!

Cons

no breaks, no lunches, unrealistic expectations, limited staffing hours, corporate does not care very high turnover amongst employees.

As a General Manager at ULTA, corporate management believes stores can serve guests, task, make budget, clean, train, etc on a limited amount of hours. 240 hours a week to conduct truck, planos, cashiers, prestige, management all while we play LP with one person on the floor at a time due to lack of hours babysitting girls that fill up their bag with $2000 worth of merchandise then try to run out of the store and not being able to provide pristine guest service to the other guests that actually want to buy their products. They continue to push and push their employees to their breaking point!!!!!! They overly expect way too much from their employees and there is NEVER just a simple thank you for what you do

Listen to your general managers when they have an issue, they are the ones on the front lines running your business, making your money!!

Organization not what it claims to be in values and culture. The organization has outgrown it's structure.

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working for Ulta Beauty is learning about the products, skincare, hair care, and cosmetics and what they are really about, and receiving gratis giving me the ability to see for myself.

Cons

The challenges in working for Ulta Beauty are the fact that the company has higher expectations of workload and customer service duties than they are willing to provide the resources for (ie. payroll hours), and the communication systems are disorganized, inconsistent, and inadequate, and if your district manager is not a good person the company will not listen to you or help you but will back them no matter what. The organization lacks the ability to properly train managers, and some just never get trained for their jobs, causing mass confusion and overwhelmed staff because most everyone is new to the company. Depending on the manager, you can have a work-life balance. Values do not reflect their claims of values and culture. They would be good values if they were exercised.

Try bottom up strategies. Upper management and execs need to take a better look at what happens on the front lines, in the stores, when the expectations do not meet the resources. The training needs to be more in depth, longer and truly a priority for every new manager. Focus on training those who want to move up, to move up instead of hiring outside since Ulta is not the average retail store. Teach managers to understand the salon staff and learn to be coaches and teachers not hard nosed, unrealistic, formal, militants. Recruiters: beware of using unrealistic impression tools and exaggerating the true culture and opportunities of the company, this has created the loss of some excellent talent.

Lots of things to do, never enough time.

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the products and my people. Discount policy was decent and got lots of gratis.

Cons

They gave me 280 hours to schedule an entire store, including shipment processing (3.5 pallets) and resets/planograms. It's a bit unrealistic, especially if they still expect us to give the best guest experience.

Notice and investigate high turn over rates...there IS a reason and it seems like people are ignoring or tiptoeing around it. Understand what you're expecting of stores in regards to hours.

The cons outweigh the pros

Former Employee - Associate Manager  in  East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employee discount, half off all salon services, gratis every period, lots of interaction between vendors/trainers, lots of in-store events.

Cons

Where do I begin? First off, management is a complete joke. There are hardly any hours to go around, always mandatory hour cuts (sometimes from full-timers/managers,) and no time to get anything done. Corporate acts like they are ready and willing to do anything for the store but in reality they aren't either aware or caring of the problems in the store. Lots of promotions from within which is both a bad thing and a good thing. GM's are severely under qualified.

More feedback and coaching to managers. GM's usually let problems persist until there is a huge breaking point; nothing is ever nipped in the bud. Better time management, more structure as far as roles go, and more training for the prestige brands.

Much potential to succeed

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Many departments mean lots of potential to learn about a wide variety of products. Great co-workers who I've built lasting friendships with.

Cons

The one pro can also be a con - with so many brands and products its often hard to answer customer questions and leave you feeling like an idiot. Big expectations that can't be followed through with thanks to lack of training (literally none) and management support. In our state a licensed esthetician is necessary to color match yet the company doesn't have the money to actually have one on the floor at all times. Lack of staff and support is major. The company itself has lots of potential but needs to look at how they present themselves compared to other beauty companies and why they see success in areas Ulta does not. It's definitely possible to create a "beauty destination" for all needs without feeling like you are in a trashy WalMart in a bad part of town.

Be upfront and honest. If someone has no chance at promotion, don't tell them it's basically a guarantee. Don't tell everyone they are doing a perfect job when there are areas they can improve upon, constructive criticism benefits everyone. That being said however, think about the requests and expectations you have for people. Sometimes 3 thrilled customers are better than 10 so so ones. And phones ringing aren't such a big deal when all guests in your store are helped and happy. Don't sit in your office on your phone and then wonder why you are out of touch with your associates and customers.

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sanford, FL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Thorough training/paid training
    Nice employees for the most part
    Decent starting pay
    Clean & nice environment

Cons

Will fire you without notice
    Hard to get schedule
    Management ignores/hangs up on you/puts you on hold for long time
    Assigns tasks not in job description
    Unprofessional by not contacting employees/ignoring employees
    Basically used employees who were "cashiers" as just people to stock their store before grand opening and let employees go with no notice/communication

Be professional and contact your employees and let them know they no longer work for you
    Treat employees better

Disappointing Experience

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Received gratis (most of which had already been picked through), employee discount, discounted salon services, lovely group of associates

Cons

Had to work every weekend unless I specially requested off and that's if the GM approved it, often closed 4-5 nights in a row, had to take my lunch break two hours into my shift so the GM could go home early, when I was promoted it took 4 months, several conversations with the GM and finally me emailing HR to receive the proper pay and full time status, the GM has no experience.

My advice to management would be to start treating your employees like actual human beings and when they go above and beyond their job description and what they get paid to do, show some appreciation. I spent two years working my way up from cashier, to lead cashier, to merchandise and service coordinator, and finally an associate manager only to put in my two weeks and not even being able to finish out the two weeks because of the backlash I received. I had to contact HR about my pay and benefits because the GM failed to give me the information regarding insurance when I became full time. Because of this I went 4 months without insurance, I wasn't getting paid what I was promised AND I had not been accruing vacation time, sick pay, and holiday pay. I had to contact HR to get the whole issue solved which put a huge target on my back. Ever since then I've been singled out because I made the GM and DM look bad for not doing their job. I'm sad about the ways things ended and all of the lovely associates I had to leave but there isn't enough money in the world that could've kept me there. My advice to management is to take a better look at the people who hire to take care of your employees. I understand it's the beauty industry but to tell someone they need to wear more makeup or dress a certain way to get a job is not sending out the right message. I can honestly say I've never been so disappointed in a company as I have been with Ulta.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!