Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 59 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

They are not completely honest about the job.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Gadsden, AL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Gadsden, AL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers and the beautiful salon. Nice, clean store.

Cons

No hours. They don't tell you this going in. I quit a fairly good job getting about 25 hrs. to getting 8 hrs! They hire way too many stylist and then give them all 4 to 15 hrs a week. Who could live on that? They will also tell you when someone quits, you will get more hours, but they just hire more people. Unless you have a large clientele, don't bother applying. I just moved to the area and they knew this. The other stylist who are from the area and have been doing hair for 10+ years are getting a whopping 12 hrs a week.

Stop over hiring stylist and give the ones you have at least 20 hrs a week. How can you build a clientele when your never at work?

Kiss up or lose out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

25% percent off discount
    Coworkers are great to get along with
    Makeup selection

Cons

Management is constantly changing, and new managers don't look out for seasoned employees. They come in and the bring the employees they want, and your hours go down to nothing shortly after.

Also if your skin nor her isn't the right color do not expect any hours unless you kiss up to management.

Get an General Manager who is fair and knows how to do their job!!!

fun company, minimal mobility for Estheticians.

Former Employee - Arch Expert in Quakertown, PA
    Former Employee - Arch Expert in Quakertown, PA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discount, laid back and fun environment.

Cons

no upward mobility for estheticians, health benefits could have been better, huge lack of training, lack of communication with management, and favoritism.

Not bad

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, fun staff and energy.

Cons

Lack of training, very tight payroll.

Focus on educating all of your employees, and allow more payroll. its very hard to serve guest while working on 5 projects and only you and one other associate is on the floor.

Overworked, Not enough pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Miami, FL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gratis, samples, 25% employee discount

Cons

Unorganized, Not enough hours, Not enough pay for the amount of work done, asked to perform tasks out of job description

Hire cleaning people, Cashiers and Managers are not Maids!

Very high expectations and demands the pay is very low for what is expected their employees.

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Okemos, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at Ulta is the gratis is great, and the insurance is amazing as well as being reasonable in cost to the associates.

Cons

In order to accomplish all that is expected you have to do a lot of your job on your own time or it is impossible to get everything done. Upper management basically the DM has absolutely no people skills. Store Managers are hired that have no idea how to manage a store very disorganized. There is never enough payroll.

There is no work-life balance with this company. So much is expected with little pay, raises are horrible still doing 10 - 25 cent raises even for managers its embarrassing. Bonus based on sales are set so high almost impossible to meet the sales goals they set to get any kind of bonus.;

meh

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent gratis, fun trainings, fun customers

Cons

lots of drama amongst management and co-workers, no hours, disorganized, poor loss prevention policies

implement better loss prevention policies, create better sense of community among employees, pay more attention to customers

Horrible made me and other employees come to work while we were sick. I worked in prestige cosmetics where we did prom makeup and they forced us to come in with strep and mono. I was so disgusted I quit and they didn't understand.

Former Employee - Prestige Sales Associate in Commack, NY
    Former Employee - Prestige Sales Associate in Commack, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent discount. Pretty flexible with hours with students too. Not a stressful working environment either.

Cons

Made employees work when they were sick with strep and mono. God only knows how many poor people got contaminated.

Don't make people come to work when they're sick especially when they have doctors notes and hospital documentation.

Better love your team... The phrase "Work-Homelife Balance" in this case is your store being your Homelife!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people! Great sense of community. Discount. Gratis. Education through Vendors who really do love their lines. Expansion = opportunity and growth. Decently supportive HR and LP departments.

Cons

Too much to do with NO way to do it (no payroll, crap pay = crap employees, etc). Corporate completely out of touch with reality. Put on a show when they come in, yeah everything's just great! Not enough training. Not enough hours. Not enough money.

Do surprise visits. Don't invite the DMs. See what's really happening in your stores. Ask the opinion of store management... They know (and care!)... It would be nice to feel like you cared what they have to say, other than a "culture survey".

Great experience, wonderful place!

Former Employee - Task Team Member in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Task Team Member in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees that you work with are excellent, the managers were fun and very understanding. I loved getting free makeup and fragrances. I loved being able to try new product and know whats on sale and when. Nice discount days, Love being in charge of the fragrance area, love helping find products they end up really loving!

Cons

Your whole paycheck goes to the store, you find everything you want and you buy it! Working the checkout was the worst there was not alot of registers and the customers were very impatient. Onc e they got the InStyles and we had to push it that sucked....

Better training, more perks for staying there. I was there for 8 years and never got much of anything extra!

Ulta Beauty Photos