Ulta Beauty Reviews

1. it is what it is

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Orange, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Free goodies sometimes, being around the products helps you learn a lot about the beauty industry and you become a customer service pro having to deal with so much on your own.

Cons

There is no real training process. My title is "beauty advisor" but I'm really just a cashier. Management does not help us work as a team. Lots of room for growth let little growing is being done. Very few hours, and management cuts hours without telling cashiers. Hires new staff even though cashiers are already not getting hours. Perhaps this is just a problem at my location, but its something that corporate should be dealing with as well.

Management is not concerned with the well-being of "lower" members on staff, ie cashiers, open up lines of communication. Poor teamwork and poor communication make for a lackluster work environment.

2. General Manager

Current Employee - Associate Manager People in Viera, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Manager People in Viera, FL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Lots of fun, friendly environment. Great company to work for, they care for their associates

Cons

Long hours, but it's Retail

3. Ok

Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Prestige Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay for management was ok

Cons

Pay for anything under management is terrible
    Very clique like

Hire good store managers. Not ones who are lazy and make everyone do things for them and take credit.

5. Not what I expected!

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Pay rate is not bad for Florida.

Cons

Upper management needs to reach out to employees and be more helpful, instead of making you feel like an idiot if you don't know something that you have never been trained for!

Be more approachable and have a little compassion for the people you work with, instead of trying to make them feel like idiots! It really shouldn't be all about how you can climb the ladder, you should be more of a team leader!

6. LOVE IT!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

25% discount
    -cool coworkers
    - nice upper management
    -learn about the different brands and products
    -good pay

Cons

-a little too many hours then I wanted. Told them I could sometimes do 20+ and every schedule I've gotten has been 20+

Nothing I can think of

7. hope you enjoy day's off.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

product knowledge, the ability to experience the different products. I actually enjoy every aspect that i am requested to do, I honestly love dealing with customers, i do agree you have really like being in retail to enjoy this job and i really do, however...(see cons)

Cons

no hours. i have been with this company for a while and i can not understand how they can get away with only giving people 9 or 10 hours. yet alway's there is some new person on our schedule. My husband figures it must have something to deal with them not wanting to pay out benefits. So there is only a select few that have legit 35+ hours which is mostly for managers which we have five or six and apparently still hiring. I am so glad that my husband has a decent paying job, but yet i am still struggling. When i approached a manager about this they say it's corporate's fault. I now have the tough decision of figuring out to stay or go.

please give your employees more hours, please allow more responsibilities for returns and exchanges. We as employees could give customers awesome experience by getting them out the door quickly as they would like instead of waiting for a manager to get done with whatever they are doing to do the return. customers in my store wait a good amount of time on waiting for a manager.

8. PAYS WELL, but not many other perks

Current Employee - Guest Coordinator in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Guest Coordinator in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Pay is higher than Sephora, 25% discount on all product discounted salon services for store employees, free if you work in the Salon section

Cons

Management often changes rules or ways of doing things day to day, not much opportunity for growth. Everything is broken & it takes months to change even a light bulb

Get more involved

9. Great Company, Great People.

Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant
    Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Teamwork, trusting relationships, great costumer service.

Cons

Not enough full time positions available. Don't carry all of the Brands that we sell on website or at bigger store.

Consistent schedules.

10. Gained a lot of experience learn multiply things and how to juggle tasking with sales and giving great guest service

Current Employee - Associate Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Learned a lot. Gained great experience in multiply areas of interests.

Cons

Favoritism, cattiness, raises are poor. A lot of turn around.

11. Hours are terrible, but good fun while you're there!

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

I was in the prestige department, so my pay was pretty good for retail. I also got a ton of gratis, I know a lot of people say you don't but if you're only a beauty advisor you don't really get the chance to do the training necessary to get it, which i think sucks but i did really get a lot of gratis. While you're there its pretty fun, I got to demonstrate product etc on customers and the girls i worked with were amazing, my managers were all great too, and the vendors are so much fun.

Cons

You will more often than not be the only person on shift with a manager, which makes actually helping customers a little difficult. Your hours are based on how much money the store makes, which is obviously not good when they make it almost impossible for you to help customers and add on to what they're already buying. They will cut your hours with less than a days notice. No benefits other than discount and don't even think about trying to go into over time! In prestige you can't do full makeovers, the only people who can are the Benefit brow girls, who more often than not are too busy to do them, the company loses out on so much money here.

Share hours evenly - I get that the managers can't help the fact that corporate won't authorize too many hours, but i've seen a lot of girls in my store getting 3 hours while others get 16-20 (I'm usually in the middle ground so I'm not just being bitter, it's just unfair).
    Let everyone go on training, it makes the prestige department better, and everyone gets gratis that way!
    Don't just cut hours on the day of the shift - if you think you need to cut, let us know with good time.