Ulta Beauty Reviews

1. PAYS WELL, but not many other perks

Current Employee - Guest Coordinator in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Guest Coordinator in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Pay is higher than Sephora, 25% discount on all product discounted salon services for store employees, free if you work in the Salon section

Cons

Management often changes rules or ways of doing things day to day, not much opportunity for growth. Everything is broken & it takes months to change even a light bulb

Get more involved

2. Great Company, Great People.

Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant
    Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Teamwork, trusting relationships, great costumer service.

Cons

Not enough full time positions available. Don't carry all of the Brands that we sell on website or at bigger store.

Consistent schedules.

3. Gained a lot of experience learn multiply things and how to juggle tasking with sales and giving great guest service

Current Employee - Associate Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Learned a lot. Gained great experience in multiply areas of interests.

Cons

Favoritism, cattiness, raises are poor. A lot of turn around.

5. Hours are terrible, but good fun while you're there!

Former Employee - Prestige Consultant
    Former Employee - Prestige Consultant

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

I was in the prestige department, so my pay was pretty good for retail. I also got a ton of gratis, I know a lot of people say you don't but if you're only a beauty advisor you don't really get the chance to do the training necessary to get it, which i think sucks but i did really get a lot of gratis. While you're there its pretty fun, I got to demonstrate product etc on customers and the girls i worked with were amazing, my managers were all great too, and the vendors are so much fun.

Cons

You will more often than not be the only person on shift with a manager, which makes actually helping customers a little difficult. Your hours are based on how much money the store makes, which is obviously not good when they make it almost impossible for you to help customers and add on to what they're already buying. They will cut your hours with less than a days notice. No benefits other than discount and don't even think about trying to go into over time! In prestige you can't do full makeovers, the only people who can are the Benefit brow girls, who more often than not are too busy to do them, the company loses out on so much money here.

Share hours evenly - I get that the managers can't help the fact that corporate won't authorize too many hours, but i've seen a lot of girls in my store getting 3 hours while others get 16-20 (I'm usually in the middle ground so I'm not just being bitter, it's just unfair).
    Let everyone go on training, it makes the prestige department better, and everyone gets gratis that way!
    Don't just cut hours on the day of the shift - if you think you need to cut, let us know with good time.

6. Great place to work as long as you don't mind not having many hours.

Former Employee - Esthetician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

I loved the group I worked with and got along well with everyone. I loved doing facials and makeup and assisting customers in finding their perfect products.

Cons

The store was not given enough hours. In order to give management their 40 hours, they had to cut the rest of the employees. I was hired for 40 hours and when I left I was only working 17. You can only receive benefits if you are working full time. Since I was not receiving full time hours, I was not receiving benefits. There were girls that had been hired for retail at part time (10-25 hours per week) and they were only getting 1 hour shifts if they were scheduled at all. Because the retail floor was so short on help, I was pulled from my esthetician station to the back to do the work of the retail girls. I did not mind until management was upset with me for not doing client conversions although I couldn't because they had me in the back unpacking boxes due to being understaffed.

Not so much management as corporate. Their employees rely on the hours they were hired for and it would be great if they could give stores the amount of hours they need to support their employees.

7. not bad at all.

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training, nice people just in the beginning not the best management but they changed stuff around. all and all great company and a great training experience

Cons

they get ride of all the old staff but over all not a bad company to work for. lets of completion with S

they tended to over work great employees but over looked others and plus bad money management at time of employeement .

Rewarding career

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

My experience at Ulta has been very rewarding and positive. Many role models in the organization to learn from and grow from. Colleagues are very helpful and want for you to do well. Going to work everyday is so much fun and Ulta corporate makes it very organized and easy for you to get all your work operationally done on a timely manner. If you follow the outline they provide you will never fall behind and will always be informed as to what's going on. If you are doing your job consistently and really plan, prioritize and develop your team the work/life balance is there especially for a retail career.

Cons

Payroll can be tight but then again Ulta would not be so successful if they were just handing out payroll without caution.

You guys have really stepped it up with training and development; also many changes have taken place based of what recommendations were made at the store level; this has made a huge impact on employee morale :) Continuing to make positive changes like these will definitely bring and retain top talent at Ulta.

9. Company has been making a lot of changes for the better

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Learn a lot, room to grow.

Cons

Short staffed all the time

More hours

10. Great at first, not so much as you go on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than a year)

Pros

25% employee discount, freebies, flexible hours, room to move up in the company, easy jobs to do around store, great environment overall

Cons

Constant hiring which can affect hours, role/position status change without warning, can sometimes get stuck on a bunch of tasks alone and be expected to handle it all

Consider people's personal lives before making selfish and petty decisions which can not only affect you, but your employee as well. They have other things to handle besides working at ULTA. Also, when new members are hired, it doesn't make sense to give them more hours than the people who were already employed.

11. Great experience but not if you want to be in the make up industry

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Opelika, AL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Product knowledge, free items (depending on position), discount, and getting to know vendors

Cons

Management is terrible, hours inconsistent, unorganized management, drama, and middle school like coworkers.

More mature management that doesn't always put their feelings first.