Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

I am an experienced stylist

Current Employee - Hair Designer I  in  North Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Hair Designer I in North Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional salon, benefits 401k, disability sick and vacation days

Cons

There are not any assistants, and I've don't have a receptionist.
    Managers and retail do help out with the phones though.

I think they are on top of the game.

Rough start for a new esthetician

Former Employee - Esthetician  in  Woodbury, MN
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing that came from working here besides for the experience I needed coming right out of school, was learning the Dermalogica product line and having the support of the instructors and fellow estis at the International Dermal Institute.

Cons

The pay is measly, hardly allowing you to maintain self sufficiency. If you don't have another source of income, I highly suggest avoiding this job. The pay structure for this is rigged so that you only make pennies off of a sale. I didn't even make $200 in product commission in nearly a year and a half and I sold a lot of product! There was no support from members of management and I was constantly made to feel like I was not good enough. You will spend a large amount of time walking the store to try to get shoppers to get services with you. If you don't want to be a sales associate, don't be an esthetician here...its part of the job. The treatment area is laughable. No enclosed room, no relaxing music. Just a half wall in the back corner of the store under florescents where your clients can hear phones ringing and screaming kids. I was embarrassed.

Take your salon employees seriously. This is the career they chose and need to be supported so that they can succeed. Dermapods where a step in the wrong direction. The dermapod doesn't allow for body waxing, the brow bar took the facial waxing. It's hard enough to make a living without being forced to cut services. Estheticians need to make higher product commission and their entire pay scale needs to be reevaluated. I would consider renaming the position, "esthetician/store associate," or just getting rid of having a esti in the store all together. The environment is not conducive to employing an esti that actually takes their job seriously.

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Skin Therapist
    Former Employee - Skin Therapist

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Salon Services (If you work in the Salon)
    Product Discounts
    Learn about many different products and brands

Cons

Management has no idea what they're doing
    Hour cuts
    No room for growth
    No training for Skin Therapists
    Skin care room is a joke, not a full room, no door, NO WAXING

Don't hire for full time if you're only going to work us 10-20hrs per week

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing along with a growing company

Current Employee - Prestige Manager  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been the Prestige Manager at my local store for 3 years now and I LOVE it! Great vendor support and guests that come in looking for me are a constant plus. I love learning about the new products and the seasonal launches constantly give you something to look forward to. The events are so much fun! I keep a running list of clients who like certain products so the planning is not hard but the actual events are the best! Gratis is fun and the discount is great-especially the additional discount we get during the holidays! Our General Manager lets me run my department and trusts my decisions, but is always there for support if I need her input. My hourly + my bonus is great (I had 30 years in the beauty/retail field) and the benefits once I went full time (after my store exceeded its goal and warranted more hours) are AMAZING! Great company-I could advance if I wanted to relocate-but I am totally content doing what I do!

Cons

Some of the biggest challenges are the part-time employees (almost all college students) who don't have any work ethic. The spend more time grumbling about doing a task , than it would take to do it. They think they should get paid to just show up, and don't understand the concept of cleaning, stocking or any number of the things that make up a job in retail. And forget about trying to get them to approach a guest or suggest any additional products or trying to "upsell". They think they want to work in a "makeup store" until they discover that we actually expect them to work and not just play in the makeup.

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of external theft that goes on in a single day. When you only have enough allotted hours to schedule two employees to work a shift, that just doesn't leave anyone to do LP. I would suggest that you give great thought to locking up the fragrance behind plexi and some of the higher shrink items like the Naked palettes.

Absolutely Horrendous

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vendor Gratis.....other than that, nothing.

Cons

Break EEOC regulations, Labor Regulations, fire people for no legitimate reason and HR is uneducated and resolve nothing.

Teach your GMs to actually manage and not to do your job. Hire people without felonies

Dissatisfying

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount, free salon services upon hire, free coupons

Cons

Poor training, snobby attitude from management, overwork you

Train your employees better, practice what you preach. Follow your core values. Give wow experiences to employed as well, win together, do what's right most of all! Treat everyone with respect and dignity!

Extremely high expectations, low resources to be successful. Huge discrepancy, makes it hard to succeed.

Former Employee - Associate Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The occasional gratis (aka free products for brand training).

Cons

Little to no payroll. Just enough hours for your management team to be cashiers and run a sales floor and complete numerous other tasks, while trying to provide outstanding customer service.
    Lack of training/development to ensure you are successful.
    Most store managers are extremely lazy and expect their teams to run their stores.
    Compensation could definitely be better, they tempt you with a chance to bonus (it rarely happens).
    Never received a raise.
    As a manager you are held responsible for a lot (to run a store), however, you are not given the time or proper training to be successful.

As a company, there should be a focus on developing associates and payroll to support the values of customer service that it preaches. It's impossible to deliver the level of service that Ulta strives to provide while not giving the stores the resources it needs in order to be successful (payroll and training in particular). Also, they should really look at hiring people who are the right fit...not just anyone who applies. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in the company who are selfish and don't care about their associates and treat people like crap!

Back stabbing experience!

Former Employee - Prestige Lead  in  Royal Oak, MI
    Former Employee - Prestige Lead in Royal Oak, MI

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working with the product lines and representing the brand. I truly believed in and loved the products I was selling (Clinique).

Cons

Back stabbing and fake management. Everyone talked about each other behind their backs. It was a total joke!

Follow your core values and be professional.... Sitting in the back office and not working really shows your lack of caring and ability.

Associate manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The only pro is the "gratis" you receive from some of the vendors but doesn't make up for all the cons. 401k, vacation and health insurance
    50% off salon services

Cons

I've been in management for over 15 years and this by far is the worst training program I've ever seen. This company doesn't invest in their employees and doesn't give their stores the payroll they need to keep customers happy. Minimal pay, low payroll, the employee discount is only 25%, the DM loves to threaten to write the entire store team up. No weekends off, work life balance is the worst I've ever seen in any company. If you have a family RUN! They stayed open 24 hours straight on Thanksgiving, didn't close Easter Sunday when no one else in our center were open. The GM's are over worked, the stores are under staffed they set you up to fail by making it almost impossible to provide great customer service.

Increase your payroll hours
    Invest in a great training program, will be worth it in the long run.
    Implement a work/life balance program

Not a company it once was.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount on hair services and product.
    I have met some great people that I would consider friends once I leave.

Cons

DM has their favorite managers and GMs. They receive special attention including gifts and inside information. If they don't like you, no matter how hard you work, you will purposefully hold you back and treat you different. There is no encouragement or praise only threats of write ups.
    Upper managers (DM and regional) dig through our damages (returned product from customers) and makes us put anything that looks "sellable" back on the shelf. BUYER BEWARE you may be buying items like lipstick, mascara and hair products that have been most likely used and returned by other customers. It's disgusting but we are made to do it then threatened to be written up over high damage numbers.

The district is about to experience very high turnover because everyone I know is unhappy and looking for other jobs. This used to be a great place to work and the last year has been a nightmare!
    Stop letting upper management promote their friends/favorites and promote the best candidates.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!