Ulta Beauty

Updated December 21, 2014
2.8

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst experience ever.

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Port Chester, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Port Chester, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The pay. I asked for a ridiculous amount because I wasn't sure if I really wanted the job and they agreed.

Cons

Working with young girls with no management experience. I was discriminated on based on my age. I would have to run the entire store by myself. There was no team work involved. The company had a bully mentality. Working an open to close shift and then coming in the next day at 7 am to do shipment. There was no work life balance

Hire management with management experience. Be professional. Don't curse at associates in front of customers...or ever.

Most positive work environment in my experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Everyone is very upbeat and they stick to the company's core values, which are awesome, by the way. It's a very team-oriented company that promotes growth.

Cons

Pay for management staff isn't great from what I've heard.

Horrible company to work for.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Great products, outside vendor support, employee discounts, free products.

Cons

Unsupportive and unprofessional senior management (DM level and above), hostile work environment, does not care about balance of work/home life, inconsistent application and enforcement of company policies, HR not interested in protecting the rights of their employees. Negative culture.

Stop opening new stores and FIX your current field infrastructure. What corporate level management THINKS is going on in stores is not at all what is really happening in stores. You are a company that sells products primarily for women with a workforce that is primarily staffed by women yet you have no interest in supporting women.

Stylist

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Snellville, GA

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Great clients and good tips

Cons

Lazy manager. Very poor management. Incompetent manager

Find a new salon manager

Working at Ulta

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Waldorf, MD

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The discount is literally the only good part of the job, and it's only 25%

Cons

The pay is terrible
    No hours
    The company is so unorganized
    General manager is terrible at keeping the store together and communicating with others.

Get your company together.

I've never been more miserable at a job in my life.

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, most coworkers are really awesome

Cons

management is sneaky and secretive about promoting favored enployees. If you're not a favorite, expect an attitude and no promotion. No promotion within, management just hires new people for the position you've been dying to have and then avoid you so they don't have to deal with you being upset over it. The customers are disgustingly rude if you work on register. You get paid barely anything. Nobody can live off $8.50 an hour. They expect you to bend over backwards and work like a dog for no compensation. Don't work here.

Promote within
    Stop favoring certain associates
    Pay more

Find another job

Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, free stuff if you're prestige

Cons

No hours. U must have another job unless you're lucky enough to get a manager position

Stop hiring so many people. Some only get 5 hours per week

It's not the worst

Former Employee - Prestige Manager
    Former Employee - Prestige Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about this job is the makeup.

There are some great people who work and shop here.

The benefits are amazing. Best health benefits I have ever had.

Cons

Working on Thanksgiving Day. Ulta is a company made up primarily of women, and it baffles me why they would ever decide to open on one of the only two days in the year we have always counted on having off for our families.

Corporate is stingy with pay. I have been here for several years (almost six) and am still making less than $16 an hour. My raise every year is a joke. 20 cents one year, 26 cents the next, and so on.

Bonus is only based on if you meet a strict set of criteria, which include survey scores, cutting payroll and theft. It is almost impossible to get all of the criteria, and if you are a store that exceeds these goals, the bonus doesn't increase.

THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH EMPLOYEES!!! We are expected to give wow experiences to each and every guest, all with a skeleton crew and never enough hours to complete tasks.The turnover is terrible, so we are constantly training new people, without additional hours to do so.

There are never enough hours for our shipment process, which means that thousands of products sit in the back in boxes while customers cuss us out for not having it.

Upper level managers are disconnected and have no idea how hard it is to really run a shift with the little amount of resources we are given.

Give stores more hours. Don't cut when days are slow, let stores use that time to stock and clean. Give your hard working employees holidays off. you are going to lose a lot of people with the way your company is heading.

Ulta Beauty jobs

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent discount, diverse working environment, focused on good customer service

Cons

Working in a retail store hours vary, not very interested in helping their workers progress, pay not the greatest

Misleading

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management at my location were polite and respectable, professional, and coworkers got along and everyone contributed. Employee discounts on all products and salon services is definitely a plus as well.

Cons

So many hours and shifts get cut, don't get work schedule until the middle of previous week, and unless you're a manager or hold a full time position, sometimes you only get about 8 hrs a week or even less. There's sometimes miscommunications among the managers. If you're part time you might basically be on call for the most part. It's hard to plan your life outside work with the way scheduling works.

Better scheduling system, more communication among managers and better instruction to employees.