Ulta Beauty

Updated December 15, 2014
2.8

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 64 reviews)

• 50% discount on salon services, and 25% discount on products (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Not So Beautiful Ulta

Current Employee - Prestige Consultant
    Current Employee - Prestige Consultant

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

25% Employee Discount (35% during employee appreciation)

Cons

Cutting shifts
    Under qualified Management
    Inconsistent Hours

Better training for managers! My store seems to not be the only one run by incompetent mangers. Most weeks I could have the weekly schedule until Sunday moring... a few hours before a possible shift would begin and would be notified a shift was cut only to be called and asked why I did not show up for the cut shift.

After a little over a month, I am fed up with this company. The only real benefit was the 25% discount,

Misleading

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management at my location were polite and respectable, professional, and coworkers got along and everyone contributed. Employee discounts on all products and salon services is definitely a plus as well.

Cons

So many hours and shifts get cut, don't get work schedule until the middle of previous week, and unless you're a manager or hold a full time position, sometimes you only get about 8 hrs a week or even less. There's sometimes miscommunications among the managers. If you're part time you might basically be on call for the most part. It's hard to plan your life outside work with the way scheduling works.

Better scheduling system, more communication among managers and better instruction to employees.

first and final retail job for me

Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

gratis, employee discount, salon discount, interacting with people, decent pay, making friends, fun atmosphere for certain events and holidays

Cons

highest turnover ive ever witnessed, working weekends and long hours, ridiculous dress code, impossible to get time off, get in so much trouble if you're late or call out sick (the one and only time i tried to call out sick i was told that i had to come in anyway... is that even legal?), shortest breaks ever if you even get one (also illegal?), discrimination, ZERO work/life balance, the list goes on and on... don't work here

you need to be more aware of what the crappy managers are doing in the stores. i only saw the dm in our store twice in a 6 month period k thats bad

Fun place to work but feeling of never ending work-load.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is great because I spend a nice chunk of money there anyway.
    The people you work with are usually really friendly and fun.
    Its basically judgement-free when it comes to interesting and wild makeup and hair colors/styles.

Cons

The pay isn't very good, I work 32-39 hours a week and still cant pay my bills. They will not allow anyone beside management work 40+ hours (bonuses follow). I'm always being told to finish this project and that project but can never finish anything because I am also required to be out on the floor for this and I get stopped by customers 60% of the time. We are never staffed properly so I find myself with so many things to do, almost nothing gets done.

I work in a particular store with all new management and find myself showing them things and answering their questions and fixing problems more than I should. I've only been with the company for 4 months and I am showing managers what to do, that isn't right.

My biggest issue with ULTA is that there is no training provided for new-hires. I was one tear away from quitting my first week because I was thrown to the sharks in my first 20 minutes after watching an associate cashier without explaining anything as she went. I have talked to many other employees and they all say the same thing. You feel completely lost without a paddle for at least 3 weeks in this job. No one should ever feel that when they start a new job. Management says they don't have payroll for training.. but you have payroll for new hires to ask questions and waste the time of other associates when it's a simple thing that could've been taught during their first week! You have payroll for new hires to mess up and give someone too much money back on a return or damage out products that could be sold again? Doubt it.

ULTA makes a lot of money, I see how much is spent in just one store on a daily basis. I know if we could be staffed properly and help all of our guests with questions and issues then we could probably be even more profitable. I remember shopping at ULTA years before ever working here and I would be really annoyed with the fact that not one employee ever asked me if I needed help finding something or even acknowledging that I walked in.
    Also there are so many tasks; truck, ad, inventory, clearance, planos, damages, facing, backstocking, replenishing, etc. How are we expected to finish all of this (that happens during business hours) while three associates are cashiering and no one else is on the floor?! It makes everyones job very stressful and unenjoyable.

Too many cuts in hours, rude guests, no training

Current Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator
    Current Employee - Merchandise & Service Coordinator

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, fun coworkers, get to learn about products

Cons

inconsistent hours, too much work to be done with not enough hours, no on is adequately trained, so much turnover. not great pay.

stop forcing so many hours cuts if you really want to give guests the "wow" experience. ensure that everyone is trained, not just thrown out there...

Very clique. NO leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Gratis, Salon discount. Knowledge of beauty information (makeup techniques, ect...)

Cons

No leadership, vey clique. one of the few worst managers I've ever had! The managers simply do not do anything. They sit in the office & break room playing & gossiping with associates and/or vendors vs managing the floor & helping guests. Not focused on customer service. Favoritism with select associates & vendors. The ones they do not care about, they are simply rude to. There was no training. They simply put forms & videos in front of you& that is it. Company seems not to care about training, morale and the guest.

Upper Management(DM & above) should visit store more often to see what is going on. They should talk with associates & vendors ( it is surprising what a 8 hr/week a vendor observes on leadership & how the store is not managed) not only the store manager. 1. To get to know them & make them feel valued 2. To see how they feel the store is lead.

Associate Manager

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My store level teammates were great and the beauty industry is a fun industry.

Cons

Upper management was horrible--from the district manager, HR and on up. Never have I seen such unprofessional and disrespectful behavior.

Get off your high horse, open your eyes and LISTEN and RESPECT the people who work in your stores.

No good

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

The discount is pretty nice.

Cons

No hours, no training, getting your one shift a week cut many times.

Take the time to train your employees.

This is the most stressful job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Flowood, MS

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers, the discounts, and the fact that I do get to come to work with out of the norm hair and makeup on a daily basis. I really enjoy sharing my love and knowledge of makeup with guests and doing makeup applications. It's also neat learning about the newest products months before they even come out.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low for all the work that is expected to be done by one associate. Always understaffed. Management talks down to associates and always places all blame on associates. GM is hardly ever in the store, and when she is, she's locked in the office all day.

Be present and proactive and LISTEN to your associates!

Rude coworkers and management

Former Employee - Hair Designer I in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Hair Designer I in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good selection of products p, lots of opportunities to grow business

Cons

The people working there were very stuck up and rude. Could not stand to be around them. Literally.

Management was horrible and rude.