Ulteig Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Ulteig President and CEO Eric Michel
Eric Michel

1. Great opportunities, great employees!

I have been working at Ulteig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for growth - both in personal career and taking it where you want, allowing people to seek opportunities
    Good group of employees who are all committed to helping each other make the clients successful
    Flexible work environment which allows people to thrive - especially compared to other consulting firms
    Your career is what you make of it - if you want to go above and beyond you will be recognized for it
    Company takes a personal interest in each individual, you don't get lost in the group
    Upper management listens to each individual contributor
    Competitive salaries

Cons

Company will not push you to excel, you must do that on your own and take control of your own career
    There was a RIF about a year ago which caused some unsettlement and growing pains, but the company is really heading in the right direction and has hired some key upper management and technical people which are making great strides
    Ulteig is still working to mold itself to what it wants to become - some see this as a disadvantage or as too much change. I see this as an opportunity to make a difference, provide input in what I want from my career, and to help make this a national and international firm.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The changes that have been made in the last year and a half are really paying off. We are becoming more well-known, branching out of the upper Midwest, and laying the groundwork for growth and huge potential. Kudos for putting more investment into each individual contributor to give them the tools to take control of their own career.

2. Good potential

I have been working at Ulteig full-time

Pros

Great people, team work etc
    Flexible work schedule helps with work life balance

Cons

Difficult to move across teams.... feels like they are quick to hire from outside rather than cross train their current employees.

Advice to Management

Do not promote openness till you are ready to address the uncomfortable questions that employees ask.

3. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ulteig full-time

Pros

Decent pay.
    Friendly work environment.
    Flexible schedule.

Cons

Lack of leadership
    No accountability
    Unnecessary stress

Advice to Management

Focus more on development of processes and developing managers.

5. Do your research.

I have been working at Ulteig full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very ambitious company and they offer flextime, which is nice when times are slow.

Cons

This company always has politics of all types in mind. Some coworkers will intentionally sabotage others to make themselves look better.

Advice to Management

MY advice to upper management: put as much effort into creating internal employee satisfaction as you employee retention or client satisfaction.

6. Chaos, chaos, chaos

I worked at Ulteig

Pros

The company has flexible schedules and good benefits. Casual days most every day.

Cons

Pay cuts, layoffs, etc. Every 2-3 years leadership feels the need to go through complete reorganization. Lack of accountability, which causes friction between different departments. Certain departments are expected to bend over backwards to accommodate others. Existing culture is eroding moral of employees. Company meetings don't address the moral problems. this leads to demoralizing talk among the employees. Career opportunities typically come from the unusually high turnover and layoffs, not growth.

Advice to Management

I'd add something here, but I know it wouldn't be listened to anyway.

7. Great Company!

I have been working at Ulteig full-time

Pros

Great career opportunities if you're willing to look for them.
    Compensation/Benefits package is competative with market. New compensation and benefit plans are constantly being reviewed to reward hard working employees.
    Company is always looking forward and looking for new markets/clients, which provides opportunity to employees.
    Great corporate support (IT, Accounting, Marketing, etc.) even though under market for staffing those departments.
    Great collaboration between departments and teams.

Cons

Many of the compensation benefits are in place to reward technical staff and not corporate staff.
    Communication of the company vision doesn't always flow all the way through from senior management to staff.
    Some sense of entitlement from staff that opportunities and compensation will be handed to them.
    Reduction in force (RIF) in 2013 hurt company culture. Company continues to work to rebuild positive culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to make strategic and profitable business decisions.

8. Your career is what you make it!

I have been working at Ulteig full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-I am a long time employee at Ulteig and have always felt my opinions were heard and never feared any sort of retribution if what I had to say didn't exactly align with direction of Management.
    -You are allowed to make what you want out of your career here at Ulteig--put in the effort, produce, express your desire and the sky is the limit as far as I am concerned.
    -Opportunities abound! There are no preconceived notions about how to move up the organization. The company looks at more than just the years of experience when it comes time for career advancement opportunities. As noted above, put in the effort, produce and let your desires be known and there is a good chance you will get an opportunity to advance.
    -100% Employee Owned!
    -Flexible schedules and great benefits!

Cons

-Making an effort to grow from a regional to national company which has resulted in an effort to align the culture and organizational structure accordingly. Along the way have had a few set-backs and have had to reset or

Advice to Management

-Continue to make improvements in communications to the company.
    -Continue to listen to what your employees are saying

9. Ulteig

Former Employee - Marketing in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Marketing in Fargo, ND

I worked at Ulteig full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, helpful, collaborative, interesting work

Cons

Culture - don't practice what they preach

Advice to Management

Work to know your employees. With such a small company, it's not difficult to establish relationships with different departments.

10. Great company to work for!

I have been working at Ulteig full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are tons of opportunity here. The management team is willing to cross-train you in different areas to get you more exposure. There are tons of training opportunities from your manager, peers, co-workers, etc. Friendly and warm environment plus we work on really cool project.

Cons

As with any consulting company there are times that you are busy and have to put in extra time and times that you are slow. It balances out.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring good people who want to work here, believe in the company, and want to add value. Everyone needs to be a salesman.

11. I thought I would never leave

I worked at Ulteig full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many great coworkers. Good IT tools available but the middle management doesn't allow you the time to learn or them because of upper management riding their behinds constantly.

Cons

President. CFO. In that order. They expect you to work harder for no monetary gain. Only firm in the region that felt the need to give company wide pay cuts which they blamed on the IRS and Obama. Failure of management.

Advice to Management

Ride off into the sunset. keep riding once you get there.

RSS Feed </> Embed