Ulteig

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ulteig President and CEO Eric Michel

Eric Michel

Great company to work for!

ProsThere are tons of opportunity here. The management team is willing to cross-train you in different areas to get you more exposure. There are tons of training opportunities from your manager, peers, co-workers, etc. Friendly and warm environment plus we work on really cool project.

ConsAs with any consulting company there are times that you are busy and have to put in extra time and times that you are slow. It balances out.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring good people who want to work here, believe in the company, and want to add value. Everyone needs to be a salesman.

I thought I would never leave

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany great coworkers. Good IT tools available but the middle management doesn't allow you the time to learn or them because of upper management riding their behinds constantly.

ConsPresident. CFO. In that order. They expect you to work harder for no monetary gain. Only firm in the region that felt the need to give company wide pay cuts which they blamed on the IRS and Obama. Failure of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRide off into the sunset. keep riding once you get there.

Great company, underestimated by many.

ProsGreat learning atmosphere. Technical managers are willing to let you expand your areas of influence, and training and lifetime learning are important. Work/life balance is stressed. If too many hours are worked, the tech managers suggest putting something off until the next week. Compensation is good, and benefits are excellent, especially if you take the time to understand them. Employees seem to try to do an excellent job on each project.

ConsMany employees don't take the time to understand management theories, or analyze the decisions that are being made with the proper open-mindedness. Our employees don't understand the deeper aspects of business, and many don't seem to desire to learn more about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving, hire good employees, and continue to suggest leadership and business books as side reading for the employees. Continue to push for more efficiency and keep striving for the goals we have set.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upper Management Problems

Engineer (Former Employee) Bismarck, ND

ProsThe people you work with on a day to day basis are great.

ConsUpper management micro manages. Too much overhead to production staff. Salaries aren't great.

Good for the intern or one needing experience in the workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Co-workers are great and friendly.
    - Benefits are comparable to similar companies.

Cons- layoffs layoffs layoffs
    - The company is "sweat shop" with workers putting in 60+ hour weeks and no time with family. But OT only approved for salaried employees (i.e. engineers) leading people to quit.
    - Lack of planning and continuous rush to meet deadlines.
    - can't make a penny but sends all new employees to corporate for training and supplies a vehicle, airfare, hotel, etc.
    - no opportunity to grow professionally unless you're an engineer.
    - Employees are only a number and a $.
    - zero variety in daily duties unless you beg for it.
    - company is not cutting edge and lacks the people, software, and common sense to roll with the industry and project where the industry is going with technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo point to advise. It will fall on deaf ears. Only those of equal status are listened to.

I good place for training.

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsUlteig is a good place to get a few years of experience to pad your resume. Non-management employees are a pleasure to work with.

ConsOnce you have padded your resume, there is little reason to stick around.

- Pay raises do not keep up with inflation much less the competition.
    - Management does not practice what it preaches, is too top heavy for the company size and is out of touch with employees.
    - Employee retention is extremely poor. Employees quickly find out that company does not live up to the hype. Experienced employees are harder and harder to come by. "All of the good people have left." is a common phrase at Ulteig.
    - Culture is depressing. Nothing to do but complain about the company all day.
    - Although the company claims to be 100% employee owned, there is no sense of ownership for non-management employees.
    - Company is in it for only the money. They do not pretend otherwise. They monitor every hour billed and there is a lot of pressure to work overtime. Yet management claims good work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementUlteig needs new management.

Do your research before working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vermillion, SD

ProsIt used to be good. But not now. Friendly staff, casual Fridays every day. Do your research before working here. The number of open jobs do not match the number of people they hire!

ConsThe company places job openings just to portray they are growing. Facts show this company is in the decline (lower on ENR list). Top level, 20+ year people are leaving for competitors. The company has layoffs every couple of years, even with North Dakota booming! In the last 3 months the website shows six people hired; yet they have over 40 open positions listed. Thats more than their last layoffs. Something does not add up.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

WTF

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis was a great place to work...was. There are a few great employees left there but Ulteig has made them quite difficult to find. The Ulteig story can be made into a book, but I would be worried about copyright laws with "Power Failure: ..." already published...

ConsRepeated mass layoffs and mass hiring, Worthless/bloated corporate structure especially the individuals in the accounting function.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstall a revolving door at the entrance of offices. This will streamline the on-boarding/off-boarding processes.

Ulteig

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture, employee friendly, competitive salaries, open door policies, quality facilities, flex schedules

ConsSlow pace, considerable management issues, financial instabilities, management seemed to be disconnected with the work performed by the production staff, improper use of performance indicators

Advice to Senior ManagementObserve the work of your staff and focus on retaining high quality employees

Layoffs, firings, lawsuits, and long-term employees are leaving

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fargo, ND

ProsGreat group of employees. Challenging work.

ConsLayoffs, favorites, constant reorganization. Within a month of laying off a number of employees upper management has added two c-suite executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company. Its what the plan is anyway

Worked for Ulteig? Contribute to the Community!