Ultimate Software

Updated December 17, 2014
4.6

Ultimate Software Chairman, President, and CEO Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr

Pros
  • The company emphasizes a healthy work-life balance and follows through with it (in 12 reviews)

• Monthly visit from the ice cream truck at HQ (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share (in 15 reviews)

• Work/life balance is important and you need to ensure you are keeping yours at a good ratio (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company for working on
    Excellent teamwork
    Excellent personal care
    Improvements possibilities

Cons

Don't have a unique headquarter

What a company!

Current Employee - Customer Success Professional in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Success Professional in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The FREE, spectacular health care, the wonderful employees, the familial work environment. USG is a young, aggressive company that expects excellence from it's employees (on all fronts) and rewards them for hard work. One might think USG is too good to be true but WYSIWYG. The executive management has made very conscious decisions to put their employees first at times to the detriment of executive compensation. Their long term vision and commitment to stay the course has paid off as the company is experiencing incredible growth.

Cons

the exorbitant amount of free food makes it hard not to gain weight.

Less fried food at happy hours

Excellent company for a software developer to work for.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture and ethics, wonderful people, talented individuals and interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Flagship product uses more mature technologies.

None - you are doing a fantastic job.

Ulti-Company

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for, was given lots of opportunities for an intern.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but a very family oriented culture.

Sometimes I felt like I needed more direction for my work.

Amazing family centric employee base

Current Employee - Engineering Talent Coordinator in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Talent Coordinator in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is nice and respectful. Very easy to talk to managers and directors. No red tape.

Cons

No cons I can think of.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great benefits, but People are Not Always First

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was really excited to come to work at Ultimate, who has a great reputation. The benefits are by far the best thing about Ultimate. They offer more to their employees than any other company I've seen, and are very generous. For the most part, people are very nice, and professional. Seemingly good work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of communication from managers, and often a lack of guidance and direction. Also not enough knowledge sharing, which can be dangerous for the company. No checks and balances on management, and a lot of management with no leadership training/experience, they just assign tasks but don't have any experience with being a true leader or mentor.

There's also no process in place for grievances, in fact, HR will not even step in if there's a problem that can't be resolved with your manager. I've seen HR refuse to even meet with an employee, even when their job could be in jeopardy. If Ultimate truly cares about their employees and puts People First, they should allow all parties to be heard and work together toward all employees' success as a true team.

Instead, I've seen several instances where good employees are just shut down and not given any chance to try to resolve issues or improve, even when that's what is supposed to happen according to the Employee Handbook/Policies. Why have policies in place if they're not enforced or supported?

Also not a lot of upward mobility. I think a lot of people just ignore that fact because the benefits are so good.

Please communicate better with employees, as to what is expected. Upper management, please keep an eye on what your managers are doing/not doing. Implement some checks and balances! And please send managers to leadership training so they can not only assign project work, but mentor employees and work towards their success.

And please put a true grievance process in place for all employees--HR, help employees instead of turning a blind eye.

Best Company to Work For!!!

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing Culture and people, as well as excellent benefits!
    I feel so proud to be part of this great organization!

Cons

There are no cons....It REALLY is a great company to work for!

Keep doing what you do! This place is top notch!

Great Place to Work

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Execptional people to work with. Honest and caring. It was like a second family

Cons

Because of high retention not much room for advancement

Ultimate Software Response

Nov 26, 2014Sr. Social Media Strategist

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

Yes, it is definitely PEOPLE FIRST

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredible culture that comes directly from the CEO. This company definitely walks the talk: their people come first. The company takes care of you and really inspire you to do your best everyday.

There is no micro-management; team-oriented work dynamics allows for an ideal environment that empowers you as a professional and helps you deliver quality work.

They care about you as an individual, offer excellent benefits (100% paid healthcare insurance, shares when you are hired, paternity leave, 35% match on your ENTIRE 401K contribution, and much much more).

Great work-life balance. On-site wellness coach for nutrition/health education, weight loss competition, health newsletters, sponsorship for sport-team events. Annual company trips to places like Disney World.

Flexibility to work remotely / make up time / arrive late / leave early for those unexpected moments in life that we do not look forward to (So many companies are not this flexible and couldn’t care less about your personal problems, no matter how serious). Ultimate CARES.

Great education and training benefits, including education reimbursement, on-site classes, online library with reading material and training videos. If you are the kind of person that loves to learn and grow your career, Ultimate Software will support you.

CEO, Scott Scheer is an admirable person; he is down-to-earth, inspirational, a visionary. During the year he participates on new hire orientations where he meets new hires on his office and on casual dinner environments. He participates as a judge on Halloween contests events. On bring-your-child to work day he meets with the kids and gives them one of his great inspirational speeches. He is an amazing leader!

I have had several jobs before and nothing compares to this place. For some people here this has been their first or second job, and they have NO IDEA how lucky they are and how AMAZING this place is. I could keep on writing on all the great benefits of working at Ultimate, but I’m going to stop here. There is a reason this place is on Fortune’s Best Companies to Work For list and our CEO has such a high acceptance rating.

I love working at Ultimate, here is where I want to retire. Before working here I used to ask myself if it could be possible to be truly happy at work, now I know the answer … :)

Cons

There is nothing i can think of.

We have the best CPO of the world! Viv you are great, thank you very much for helping make Ultimate the incredible place that it is. I am very lucky to be here and be part of the Ultimate Family. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO.

Keep up the great work!

Enjoy my role but becoming harder...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

Top innovator in technology
    Open door to senior leadership
    Colleagues have "all-in" attitude
    Teammates are positive and supportive
    Growing effort to expand job tools and resources
    Many have admirable work-ethics and drive to do what is right (for employees and also for customers)

Cons

Bad managers continue to lead teams
    A lot of gossip
    It is often who you know, not what you know and how you continue to execute

Please review current managers, genuinely solicit feedback from team, and finally take action to ensure roles (start with assessing mgrs of vital client facing staff) are supported by good managers, not letting nepotism or "because they have been here many years" continue.

Many employees feel discriminated by personal relationships taking priority over quantified performance, causing one to seek another role in organization to escape current manager. Finally, empower and let us do our jobs, stop micro-managing and support us 100%; not just when you want to look good to your boss.

People leave managers, not companies. Please don't make us have to leave the company to seek better treatment from direct manager.