Ultimate Software

Ultimate Software Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Ultimate Software Chairman, President, and CEO Scott Scherr

Scott Scherr

Pros:
  • "Awesome benefits, good work life balance"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great Benefits and Great People"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "I have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Not necessarily a con, continue to mature our processes and leadership while maintaining our entrepreneurial people culture"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent company to work for

Business Process Analyst I (Current Employee)
    Weston, FL

ProsIncredible benefits & great culture. Management promotes Work/Life balance and training. The company has grown from 1,075 to 2,000 in 4.5 years I've been there (2010 ~ 2014) and continues...

ConsIf you are in a technical role, there is plenty of room for growth. However, if you are in Project Management or Process Improvement, the career path isn't defined, at least not yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company continues to grow, there needs to be clear definition for career growth not just in the technical arena, but all areas.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Weston, FL

ProsBest company to work for. The Ultimate organization.

ConsTraining and advancement Depends on the department and manager. Some managers like to keep good employees so they can shine and do not allow for additional training holding back employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook around and let go good employees. They already put in the times. Recruit good employees to be able to replace the ones who advance.

Excellent Company with Awesome Culture

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Weston, FL

ProsI love love love working for this great company. They provide excellent benefits, great employee recognition program, Company paid Disney trips, happy hours, free lunches, ice cream truck......... and the list goes on.

ConsNothing I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsUltimate Software has come a long way from it's beginning. They seek talented individuals and look to incorporate best business practices. l

ConsMore "who you know" than "what you know".
    Age / salary can send triggers for replacement.
    Strong family relationships at top of company.
    Company now provides benefits for domestic partners; it took years to get there.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, you're succesful - but remember those of us who built the foundation and were discarded along the way.

Although the main HQ really shines, the Santa Ana office lacks the work culture seen at HQ.

Account Manager - Workplace (Current Employee)
    Santa Ana, CA

Pros- This company does deliver some excellent niceties, such as a benefits package that is hands down, the best you're ever going to get working for anyone, save the US Government or a government contractor. How many companies do you know of that offer 100% coverage of healthcare as well as generous stock options?

- You get an excellent allocation of PTO right out the gate and, unless you work in a call center type of position such as a Customer Success Professional, management is very flexible with what days you can take off and generally encourage a suitable work life balance.

- At the Weston office, there truly is a sense of family and caring that you just don't see at any other company. Open spaces without walled off cubicles and a huge emphasis on collaboration areas help with team building and reaching out to help others without impedance.

- The CEO and upper level management are quite approachable and are generous when their means allow. For instance, when an employee's house burned down, the entire company had a fundraiser to help her out. After the employees chipped in a sizable amount in the donation pot, the CEO matched the amount to the penny.

Cons- Location is *everything* when it comes to what the Ultimate experience is like... which sadly is inconsistent. Where the Weston HQ office is a utopia, filled with happy employees and engaged management, the West-coast Santa Ana office (where I moved to later on due to a promotion) is an entirely different story. You experience closed off cubicles, managers that have no idea how to lead and play favorites with some employees, and employee feedback falls on deaf ears.

- If you plan on working at the Santa Ana office, unless you play office politics like a champ, don't expect to stick around for very long. I've seen some exceptionally good people either quit or get let go by their manager for not being a yes man. This leaves us with the remaining employees that might not really get any work done right, but are willing to stop it at nothing to validate their direct report and tend to their every need without question. As a side note, the specialized departments of UTM, BI and Talent seem to be treated better than those in the general support body for Mid-market, which consists of both CSPs and AMs.

- If one of the directors has a grudge against you for whatever reason, don't expect to move up the chain of command any time soon. The best advice I can give is to not rock the boat whenever possible and try not to stand out, even in a good way. Any kind of exceptional exposure makes you a target.

- Co-workers are not afraid to throw you under the bus if they feel it is in their best interest to do so. Don't give them any ammunition.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like the CEO and the high level management to really take a close look at the Santa Ana office and fix some of the workplace dysfunction and mold the office into an environment just like the one I found in Weston. Also, don't let any of the customer success managers get away with poor judgement and destructive behaviors, such as letting otherwise excellent employees go that don't play the game just right.

The CEO is a great guy, and it would be nice to take his sense of pragmatism and sprinkle it on all managers.

Love the culture of the organization!

Customer Success Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis is an organization that is designed to take care of its employees so we can focus on taking care of our customers.

ConsAt this time, I cannot think of any.

I now understand why Ultimate Software ranked in the top 25 of one of the best companies to work for in 2013

Integration Consultant (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefits
    Culture
    Pay
    Time Off Policy
    No Micro Management
    You really feel like you are a value to the company & they show it!

ConsNo cons thus far

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Compassionate, innovative, energetic; family-like atmosphere

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Weston, FL

ProsThe culture here is fantastic. People first through and through. They practice agile development and some teams even implement pair programming (don't knock it til you've tried it). The benefits are outstanding, the frequent dinners and outings keep the teams cohesive and happy, and you're not overworked either. A great place to be and grow.

ConsMany teams have to maintain legacy software which can be frustrating for some. There is only one overall product as well, so that can be perceived as a negative for some who would prefer different types of projects and domains.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to expand into the SMB market and create a stripped down version of Ultipro for small businesses.

A Wonderful Place to Work

Product Analyst (Current Employee)
    Weston, FL

ProsGreat Benefits and Great People. You get stock w/ the company and feel a part of it.

ConsI have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share. I am happy w/ everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep setting the bar higher.

The Ultimate place to work

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThere is a reason why this place is one of the "Best places to work" and has been named on Fortune's list, several times placing high on the list. They don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. The moment you join the company, the culture within is always People First. They take care of their own. As soon as you begin to understand this culture, it flows through your blood. It's amazing how the leadership team continues to plan for company growth, so we can continue to do what we have been doing. Which is drive success by remaining people centric. It amazes me that other companies don't realize, that we will work harder for you, if you take care of us! Ultimate does!

ConsEvery year is harder, which is expected. How can you continue to push the limits of what you are capable of, if you don't continue to push the boundaries? You can't. To achieve great things, you must continue to push yourself to levels you didn't think were previously possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employees and customers about product changes/recommendations, and functionality. We love that you listen, keep it up!

Worked for Ultimate Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ultimate Software reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ultimate Software CEO Scott Scherr. All 97 reviews posted anonymously by Ultimate Software employees.