Ultimate Software

Updated November 14, 2014
4.6

Ultimate Software Chairman, President, and CEO Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr

Pros
  • The company emphasizes a healthy work-life balance and follows through with it (in 11 reviews)

• Monthly visit from the ice cream truck at HQ (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is important and you need to ensure you are keeping yours at a good ratio (in 8 reviews)

• I have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company to Work For!!!

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing Culture and people, as well as excellent benefits!
    I feel so proud to be part of this great organization!

Cons

There are no cons....It REALLY is a great company to work for!

Keep doing what you do! This place is top notch!

Great Place to Work

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Execptional people to work with. Honest and caring. It was like a second family

Cons

Because of high retention not much room for advancement

Yes, it is definitely PEOPLE FIRST

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Incredible culture that comes directly from the CEO. This company definitely walks the talk: their people come first. The company takes care of you and really inspire you to do your best everyday.

There is no micro-management; team-oriented work dynamics allows for an ideal environment that empowers you as a professional and helps you deliver quality work.

They care about you as an individual, offer excellent benefits (100% paid healthcare insurance, shares when you are hired, paternity leave, 35% match on your ENTIRE 401K contribution, and much much more).

Great work-life balance. On-site wellness coach for nutrition/health education, weight loss competition, health newsletters, sponsorship for sport-team events. Annual company trips to places like Disney World.

Flexibility to work remotely / make up time / arrive late / leave early for those unexpected moments in life that we do not look forward to (So many companies are not this flexible and couldn’t care less about your personal problems, no matter how serious). Ultimate CARES.

Great education and training benefits, including education reimbursement, on-site classes, online library with reading material and training videos. If you are the kind of person that loves to learn and grow your career, Ultimate Software will support you.

CEO, Scott Scheer is an admirable person; he is down-to-earth, inspirational, a visionary. During the year he participates on new hire orientations where he meets new hires on his office and on casual dinner environments. He participates as a judge on Halloween contests events. On bring-your-child to work day he meets with the kids and gives them one of his great inspirational speeches. He is an amazing leader!

I have had several jobs before and nothing compares to this place. For some people here this has been their first or second job, and they have NO IDEA how lucky they are and how AMAZING this place is. I could keep on writing on all the great benefits of working at Ultimate, but I’m going to stop here. There is a reason this place is on Fortune’s Best Companies to Work For list and our CEO has such a high acceptance rating.

I love working at Ultimate, here is where I want to retire. Before working here I used to ask myself if it could be possible to be truly happy at work, now I know the answer … :)

Cons

There is nothing i can think of.

We have the best CPO of the world! Viv you are great, thank you very much for helping make Ultimate the incredible place that it is. I am very lucky to be here and be part of the Ultimate Family. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO.

Keep up the great work!

Great Benefits & Culture but lacks career opportunities

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits
    Exciting technology stack
    Office space and team atmosphere inspire collaboration
    Rapidly growing company has been extremely profitable and successful.
    Encourages innovation and rewards interns.

Cons

Pays low compared to competition due to benefits.
    Flat company structure leaves very little room to grow professionally.

Increase ways to grow peoples careers not just their salaries and stock options. Path to management is hard due to flat structure.

Enjoy my role but becoming harder...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

Top innovator in technology
    Open door to senior leadership
    Colleagues have "all-in" attitude
    Teammates are positive and supportive
    Growing effort to expand job tools and resources
    Many have admirable work-ethics and drive to do what is right (for employees and also for customers)

Cons

Bad managers continue to lead teams
    A lot of gossip
    It is often who you know, not what you know and how you continue to execute

Please review current managers, genuinely solicit feedback from team, and finally take action to ensure roles (start with assessing mgrs of vital client facing staff) are supported by good managers, not letting nepotism or "because they have been here many years" continue.

Many employees feel discriminated by personal relationships taking priority over quantified performance, causing one to seek another role in organization to escape current manager. Finally, empower and let us do our jobs, stop micro-managing and support us 100%; not just when you want to look good to your boss.

People leave managers, not companies. Please don't make us have to leave the company to seek better treatment from direct manager.

Why didn't I come to Ultimate Sooner?

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Work hard play hard attitude
    Company genuinely cares about their customers and wants to really keep them happy
    great products and services for HCM. Keeps getting better at their core and stays true to their product improvement

Cons

no real cons only company is growing fast so hopefully we can keep the culture and family vibe as we continue to spread our wings.

Really is the "Best Place to Work"

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love Ultimate Software! I feel really lucky to be part of such an amazing team! We have great leadership, smart people in every role, so it makes the culture top-notch.

Cons

The first few months are a whirlwind, but besides that there aren't any cons.

Keep up the great work!!

Best place I've ever worked by far. Such a special culture!

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and culture are amazing. More over, its knowing that everyone has the same commitment to excellence and works incredibly hard to ensure our customers are happy. That includes the executive team all the through our sales and service organizations.

Cons

HCM technology space is demanding and fast paced, you either love it or decide to do something else.

We're growing so fast, keep instilling these same principles in the new employees coming onboard.

Amazing

Current Employee - Software Support in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Support in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation is above industry standard. Full benefits. Training is constant and of good quality. The people try very hard to be supportive and they help at all times. The management helps with the client by dividing the technical support with the client management - allowing the tech personal to do the job without too much political interference.

Cons

High work volume. Pressure to get up to speed as soon as possible.

Keep fighting to care for the employees. Make a good calendar for PTO and stick with it.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best company that I have ever worked for with amazing culture. Ultimate takes care of every employee and their families...and in turn you have an entire workforce who is committed to taking care of the clients and company. I have never seen anything like it.

Cons

nothing....I feel truly blessed to be here.