Ultimate Software

Updated October 18, 2014
4.5

Ultimate Software Chairman, President, and CEO Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr

Pros
  • The company emphasizes a healthy work-life balance and follows through with it (in 11 reviews)

• Monthly visit from the ice cream truck at HQ (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is important and you need to ensure you are keeping yours at a good ratio (in 8 reviews)

• I have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoy my role but becoming harder...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

Top innovator in technology
    Open door to senior leadership
    Colleagues have "all-in" attitude
    Teammates are positive and supportive
    Growing effort to expand job tools and resources
    Many have admirable work-ethics and drive to do what is right (for employees and also for customers)

Cons

Bad managers continue to lead teams
    A lot of gossip
    It is often who you know, not what you know and how you continue to execute

Please review current managers, genuinely solicit feedback from team, and finally take action to ensure roles (start with assessing mgrs of vital client facing staff) are supported by good managers, not letting nepotism or "because they have been here many years" continue.

Many employees feel discriminated by personal relationships taking priority over quantified performance, causing one to seek another role in organization to escape current manager. Finally, empower and let us do our jobs, stop micro-managing and support us 100%; not just when you want to look good to your boss.

People leave managers, not companies. Please don't make us have to leave the company to seek better treatment from direct manager.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

"People First" outstanding work environment

Cons

no cons at this point

Company and people are great, pay could be higher

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, culture, yearly trip, foosball table, flexibility

Cons

communication from upper management
    Lack of existing structure, minimal room for growth

More transparency

Great company, great leadership

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

The positive energy, optimism and commitment to success are pervasive at this company. The senior management were not only impressive in their leadership, vision and commitment, but always seemed genuine in their messaging that as an Ultimate employee, you were family and they wanted you to be wildly successful.

Cons

My only challenge was my timing in joining the company. I was an early hire in a new division that was focusing on a new market with a new product. Compensation, territory and product performance were not where they needed to be, but this is to be expected with a new business unit.

Without a doubt - a great place to work!

Current Employee - Executive Relationship Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Relationship Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company culture with a growing focus on employee development. Employees are viewed as family and there are no walls to the leadership team.

Cons

There aren't many. Nothing but great things to say about working at Ultimate.

Keep doing what you're doing

Amazing company - but...

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Genuinely a company that cares, incredible benefits and great morale

Cons

limited growth opportunities and easy stagnation

Good company for the south Florida area.

I have been working at Ultimate Software as an intern

Pros

Good work environment on a day to day basis, great benefits for full time employees and a genuine care for the employees.

Cons

Low pay for Computer Science, poor working hours, high expectations for the workers.

Not all it's cracked up to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are fully paid for employees and their family.

Cons

Where shall I start? The HYPE of People First and Work Life Balance, as neither exist? I have been working for this company for over 6 years and have seen the culture of the company change dramatically. It is expected that everyone work a minimum of 50 hours or more per week, with weekends expected in many departments as well.

If you express a desire to grow and advance to another department, management does not encourage and support you they instead look down on you making you feel that you are deserting your current department.

No HR department. If an employee has a concern with their management, there is no one to turn to.

In summary, what does it say when management asks their team of employees to come onto this board and write positive comments?

Listen to employees who have been with this company and remember what it really means to be People First and when teamwork, abilities, knowledge and skill mattered more than cronyism.

From day one, Ultimate Software has been a blessing for me and my family.

Current Employee - Executive Relationship Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Relationship Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are treated like royalty but with anything great it comes with a fair price. From day one of new hire training, Ultimate sets you up for success. It's up to you as the employee to take it from there and fulfill your duties to the best of your abilities. I guarantee you will continue to be rewarded and promoted if you have strong work ethic and truly posses employer loyalty. I've been with Ultimate over 5 years and management has provided me with many opportunities to climb the ladder. There is lots of room to grow and you just can't get enough of the culture. The perks and benefits that Ultimate provides to its employees is unheard of in these times. I can't predict what's to come but if Ultimate continues to maintain this culture and work environment, I can confidently state that I could work here till retirement.

Cons

We have grown considerably since I've joined and with that comes growing pains. Most corporate organizations encounter these struggles at one time or another. So far, executive management has done a fine job in proving through their actions that we can remain one of the best companies to work for even with this growth pattern. For example, the large investment Ultimate makes in staffing for departments such as Service and Development - the departments that touch our customers daily is proof that they saw a need for improvement and fulfilled it. I've seen a lot of businesses run too lean causing heir turnover numbers to skyrocket. Not at Ultimate. Work/Life balance takes priority.

The only thing I ask is that as we grow and become more and more successful- let's not forget our mantra "People First." It's easy to get lost in corporate competition within the HCM industry. Ultimate supports over 2000 families today and so if we can help it, let's not forget that everyone is fighting a battle that we don't know about. So, management please keep giving constructive criticism and feedback on performance and let there be no surprises to your employees on how they are doing today and how they can improve. Over-communication is key for an employee to excel and for a manager to truly be a good mentor.

A great journey....for a while

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

Benefits are amazing. They do take care of people via their benefits. People work hard and are dedicated to the organization and the vision of the company. Quarterly meetings with all employees are very good in keeping everyone informed of the progress of the company.

Cons

Company has grown so fast over the last couple of years that the "family culture" is beginning to be affected. The growth is only now beginning to be structured. Because of the fast unstructured growth over the last couple of years, many people were impacted and moral started to drop and unfortunately, continuing to drop.

Be careful of cronyism. It is beginning to be very prevalent in the organization and impacting the business.