Ultimate Software

Updated January 28, 2015
4.6

Ultimate Software Chairman, President, and CEO Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr

Pros
  • The company emphasizes a healthy work-life balance and follows through with it (in 12 reviews)

• Monthly visit from the ice cream truck at HQ (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share (in 15 reviews)

• Work/life balance is important and you need to ensure you are keeping yours at a good ratio (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Ultimate Software is a truly rewarding experience that fosters loyalty, satisfaction and camaraderie.

Current Employee - Payroll Tax Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Payroll Tax Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The working environment at Ultimate Software starts with the culture that is cultivated by the CEO Scott Scherr who passes it along to all employees during New Hire Orientation when every new employee is brought to at the company's headquarters in Weston, FL. It is a family culture where everyone is treated as an important member and Scott's philosophy which he has stated during several interviews at business conferences; that "if you take care of your employees, then they take care of you". "The important thing is to focus on keeping your employees happy, and focusing on growth per person or growth in annual average productivity". Ultimate Software strives to maintain that culture by providing benefits such as 100% fully paid health care premiums, stock grants to each employee upon hire, 35% match of employees' contributions to their 401(k) with no cap. These are just a few of the perks that keep employees satisfied, wanting to produce and remain loyal to the company. The company's identifying slogan "People First" is more than a slogan. It is a value actively practiced daily.

Cons

The only thing I would say would be a con is that as the company grows, just as in any family situation, sometimes the competition to "get to the top" forces people to forget about the importance of the culture. I have witnessed some backbiting and active undermining from some to move ahead of others. I know this is not unique to Ultimate Software and that as long as employees are human, they bring with them human nature.

Don't be afraid of or shut off employee communication that may not always be positive. Conflicts are inevitable in any organization with more than 2 people and can be quite valuable and productive when faced and resolved.

Awesome

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Great Benefits, Amazing people and tons of events always happening to keep work life relaxed. Ability to work virtual is also a huge help.

Cons

I have no cons for working here

A place where the term "work" loses all negative connotation

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with a team of people that all have the same passion and drive as I do has been one of the greatest parts of working at Ultimate Software. I get to be creative and analytical and my superiors trust my judgment when it comes to making decisions. Getting to know everyone on a professional and personal level are both important and Ultimate facilitates both. I don't feel like work is a chore anymore. Ultimate has changed my perception of work to be something positive and actually fun! There's a lot of flexibility, we're encouraged to take time out of our day to volunteer for causes we're passionate about, and there are even different support groups we can be a part of. Not to mention there are great benefits, perks, and an amazing culture.

Cons

This really isn't a con, but it's something we work on improving every day: keeping up with the ever-changing technology industry. Things can change from day to day and being able to keep up with everything is a challenge I think we handle well, but there's always room for improvement.

Continue nurturing leaders, focusing on our culture, and developing and promoting solutions people want/need.

What more could you ask for?

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

It's my family away from personal family. You know you are taken care of by Ultimate and therefore make even a larger effort to take care of the company. You have the opportunity to grow as hard work and dedication does not go unnoticed. The benefits provided are top notch. Add to it that we have the greatest HCM product in our space and what more could you ask for.

Cons

Lack of cohesiveness across the organization at times with what is being worked on.

Experience working at Ultimate Software!

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best Culture ever! Flexible work environment.

Cons

There is room to grow..nothing bad to say about Ultimate

Keep the good work up!

"Companies like this still exist!"

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

"Great benefits, personal groth, professional growth, top leadership believes in all levels of employees, you can contribute to thte work you do. You feel good about the work that you've done by the end of the day. The company stands by their Employees first motto

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to sift through the different departments to understand who handles what?

Keep doing that you're doing. Thank you for the support.

Best Company to Work For

Current Employee - Payment Services Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Payment Services Support Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

Ultimate Software puts its employees first. They provide training, support and a family atmosphere to work in. They take care of us by providing insurance, 401K, and stock options. Our CEO. Scott Scherr, is one of the most caring, sharing men I know. He is very down to earth and easy to talk to. I feel very fortunate to be an Ultimate Software employee and to be working in such a great atmosphere..

Cons

Growing too fast! Require additional space in California

Kee4p up[ the great work!!

People First Culture in a fast growth, highly successful software company

Current Employee - Talent Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Talent Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture
    Great technology
    Superb Leaders
    Collegial
    Growth
    Invest in their people's development
    great career opportunities

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons - only thought is that if you are not comfortable with being transparent and having close, open relationships with your boss and co workers, this is not the place for you

Focus on how to scale the company, don't get stuck on doing things the same way we always have

This is by far the best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

The atmosphere is fantastic, great culture, salaries very competent, but the best part of this is the way we are treated. We have the best CEO in the industry. He inspires me to strive for excellence. The culture that he has created follows me home as I have learned to apply his philosophy in my personal life. He takes care of his employees and our families too. I am very thankful that I am part of this organization!

Cons

Company growing rapidly so we don't get too much attention form mid management.

have your mid management (managers, Team Leads) reviewed for attitude in the workplace and treatment toward employees and quality and level of support for subordinates.

I am thankful to work for such a caring company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Ultimate Software

Pros

My company (first that is true) is a family not just a job

Cons

We work in a very stressful industry but we do it as a team

Keep up the good work