Ultimate Software

Updated September 11, 2014
4.5

Ultimate Software Chairman, President, and CEO Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr

Pros
  • Management promotes Work/Life balance and training (in 8 reviews)

• They provide excellent benefits, great employee recognition program, Company paid Disney trips, happy hours, free lunches, ice cream truck (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share (in 5 reviews)

• Not necessarily a con, continue to mature our processes and leadership while maintaining our entrepreneurial people culture (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Most rewarding Internship

Former Employee - Social Media Relations  in  Weston, FL
    Former Employee - Social Media Relations in Weston, FL

I worked at Ultimate Software part-time for less than a year

Pros

Your coworkers are more than your coworkers, they're your acquaintances. Communication is clear among employees, making Ultimate stand out. Great work atmosphere.

Cons

I experienced no cons during my experience at Ultimate Software.

Whoa! What a company!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The management actually cares about you, from day one you receive work that makes a serious impact, you are never too small to be respected by the CEO and all employees, often free food and hangouts with fellow employees, work hard when it is time to work and play hard when it is time to play, great people to work with

Cons

Sometimes you do not have enough to do and that can leave to slight boredom, can be loud in the office at times but that is part of the "have fun" culture

Keep making every employee feel special

Don't believe the Forbes & YouTube hype.

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Employer Paid Benefits
    - Food, Drinks, Food, Drinks, did I already mention food?
    - Software Company that's booming, still feels like start up
    - Ability to make decisions and own projects. Really expensive projects.

Cons

- Leadership is corrupted. Anyone that can interview well can get a leadership position, even if you are more qualified then they are.
    - Family owned, family operated. If you didn't marry the owner's daughter or live around them, you'll never reach C-Level. If you hang out with the owners outside of work, you might become a Director.
    - Leadership will side with leadership, the grunts do not have a voice.
    - If you work less than 12 hours, you'll be watched.
    - Work Life Balance?... Haha.
    - Contradicting rules between departments, ambiguity between whats right and wrong.
    - Beware of your job description. You can be hired for one thing, but forced to do something else.
    - Feedback is little to none. If you share a concern with your manager, you better believe your entire team will know about it.

PDIS Leadership - Majority of you need to really reconsider a different job. You can't be taught how to lead, you need to have it from day one. Lying won't get you far, and please consider investing in on boarding, It's a joke.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not all about the perks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time

Pros

-Lots of nice people
    -Department trips are nice
    -Benefits are fantastic
    -High end technology within the buildings as well as the equipment employees used on a daily basis

Cons

- If you want to move to another position in the company (if it's not a mgmt level position or above) your salary will not go up for the move, so make sure your first job there is at a decent salary because you will only get minimal increases every year
    - Some departments within the company do not accurately reflect the culture that HR and Marketing seems to promote (People First and best companies to work for)
    - Some managers do not approve of the "little people" talking to someone above them. It makes it hard to gather requirements at times because you have one person getting the requirements and then passing it along to another person and then yet to another person.
    - There are also some areas where it's more of who you know instead of what you know. Just because someone has a higher title doesn't mean that they are qualified for that job role.
    - Lack of training and no direction from management for those that genuinely want to better themselves so that they can better the company

- If Ulti is going to be about putting People First then they really need to understand that people have a life outside of work. Communication is key and if a manager is making certain expectations of an employee they should make sure that the employee is aware of those expectations up front.
    - Should communicate expectations clearly and give proper reviews so that employees who want to grow within the company can, not everyone wants to stay in the same exact position forever.
    - The benefits are great, but there is a big issue in Senior Management and until that is addressed the People First mentality will be hard to keep true.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Business Process Analyst I  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Business Process Analyst I in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible benefits & great culture. Management promotes Work/Life balance and training. The company has grown from 1,075 to 2,000 in 4.5 years I've been there (2010 ~ 2014) and continues...

Cons

If you are in a technical role, there is plenty of room for growth. However, if you are in Project Management or Process Improvement, the career path isn't defined, at least not yet.

As the company continues to grow, there needs to be clear definition for career growth not just in the technical arena, but all areas.

Great Benefits and Work/Life balance; Poor career growth

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits with lots of little perks

Cons

No career paths. Management just says we don't do that here. A lot of lip service to caring that employees are engaged but no real effort.

Excellent Company with Awesome Culture

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love love love working for this great company. They provide excellent benefits, great employee recognition program, Company paid Disney trips, happy hours, free lunches, ice cream truck......... and the list goes on.

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Keep up the great work.

Compassionate, innovative, energetic; family-like atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture here is fantastic. People first through and through. They practice agile development and some teams even implement pair programming (don't knock it til you've tried it). The benefits are outstanding, the frequent dinners and outings keep the teams cohesive and happy, and you're not overworked either. A great place to be and grow.

Cons

Many teams have to maintain legacy software which can be frustrating for some. There is only one overall product as well, so that can be perceived as a negative for some who would prefer different types of projects and domains.

My advice would be to expand into the SMB market and create a stripped down version of Ultipro for small businesses.

Modern, fast paced professional culture

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

US genuinely cares for the employee. It's motto "people first" isnt just a marketting gimmick, it is evident in everyday staff relations.

Cons

Very fast paced growth of the company creates a challenging workload. Fortunately, and to its credit, management understands and doesn't impose an unfair amount of pressure to get the job done, as long as progress is continually made toward finalizing tasks.

Hire more people, too much work backlog!

A Wonderful Place to Work

Current Employee - Product Analyst  in  Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Weston, FL

I have been working at Ultimate Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits and Great People. You get stock w/ the company and feel a part of it.

Cons

I have no cons at this moment in time that I would like to share. I am happy w/ everything.

Keep setting the bar higher.

Worked for Ultimate Software? Contribute to the Community!