Ultra Clean Technology

Ultra Clean Technology CEO Clarence L. Granger

Clarence L. Granger

We Did Our Job Without Much Interferance

I worked at Ultra Clean Technology

ProsGood people work there. They seem to be interested in employee input. Great health benefits.
Good dental benefits. Pay was decent.

ConsBusiness in the industry was going down and there were a lot of lay-offs. Don,t think mgmt. was quite up to speed with market.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more on their suggestions . Honoring system for new workers who complete evaluation period with small monetary gift.

Poor Company Culture

I have been working at Ultra Clean Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are some great smart people working here.

ConsMost employees feel under appreciated and over worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees. Even small things like a company picnic or "spot" bonuses.

High Expectations low return

I worked at Ultra Clean Technology

ProsWhat you see is what you get

ConsHigh turn around( layoffs monthly)

More cons than pros at UCT

I worked at Ultra Clean Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat comraderie and support from co-workers and mangement in my department. All pulling together and doing whatever necessary to get the jobs done well and on time.

ConsToo much political in-fighting and posturing at executive level. New President micro-manges routine decisions of his VP's and below to save money. Penny-wise and pound foolish. CFO doesn't have the expertise or common sense to run Finance and HR. Out of the office most of the time. Some try to rule by intimidation. CEO lets it all happen. Survival of the fittest rules here.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the mangers and employees under you.

Don't waste your time

I worked at Ultra Clean Technology full-time for more than a year

ProsA good company model in a much needed niche industry with a lot of great human capital

ConsA management team that things they know it all and will not listen to anyone's ideas. Proof is how they ruined the profitable AIT company when they purchased it in 2012. They instituted their ideas and forced their policies on a business they said would help their bottom line, and ruined their margins and profitability. They forced many talented people to leave because they refused to listen to ideas they didn't come up with themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to all ideas and not just your own! Employees are valuable assets and when you buy a company that is doing well, listen and learn!

Small time wanting to be Big time

I have been working at Ultra Clean Technology full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSeriously none that I can think of.

Cons*Management constantly trying to find ways to keep profits out of the hands of the employees
*CEO tired, has turned the keys to the building over to the President, who gets into the weeds more than anyone should
*CYA 24-7

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people and don't promote in-fighting amongst functional groups.

Poorest professional experience I ever had

I worked at Ultra Clean Technology

ProsI had the opportunity to work with extremely dedicated and intelligent people. Unfortunately, I was witness to seeing a couple rudely forced out the door as victims of management politics.

ConsVery little reward in serving a contract manufacturing environment. The politics are so intense you can cut them with a knife. Several of the management heads are self-centered and often cruel (see above). They tend to make empty promises of their subordinates advancing, when there is no opportunity for advancement except for those having the right intercorporate connections. In addition, salaries for most positions are substantially beneath the regional average, and the benefits offered are basic. A couple employees in fact demonstrated their frustration with the company in manners that got the attention of an entire office.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect to the employees who bust their rear for the good of the company. Plan your budgets and align your business to changing market conditions better so you don't have to make them suffer under the constant threat of layoffs and MTO. Offer better salaries and stock options (which are quite honestly pathetic). And please, please, PLEASE lose the preposterous and arrogant "respect must be earned" attitude.

I start dreading Monday on Saturday night.

Austin, TX

I have been working at Ultra Clean Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOnce upon a time, it was a decent place to work.

ConsIf you've been with this company for longer than 2 years, you've outlasted 99% of the employees. All the good people leave because of the terrible work environment and lack of career paths. This place is 100% CYA, where nobody works together because they're concentrating on securing their own job. We've gone years at a time without merit increases, so you better negotiate your starting salary to the maximum. Lots of opportunity to move laterally, but you rarely see anyone move up, unless you are in sales. Don't ever plan a vacation because you will be required to use your time-off during MTO days (mandatory time off) that is designated by upper management multiple times a year. (This is common in the semiconductor industry and is usually accompanied by layoffs.) Also, you better have thick skin, or grow some, because there are certain senior managers who prefer to lead by fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some respect for your employees and their personal lives. Foster an environment where people aren't so afraid of being fired, or screamed at, that they can actually put their efforts towards working together and making good decisions.

Eh...

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Ultra Clean Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou work with great people. All of them know their stuff, and work hard to meet their goals.

ConsNo upward mobility within the company. Management not interested in developing the work force. In down time, will drop MTO and layoffs immediately. Since the last downturn, a negative quarter is no longer acceptable.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify employees you want to keep, and give them a career path. Profit sharing and stock will only go so far.

An acceptable place to work if you have no other offers

Mechanical Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ultra Clean Technology

ProsThe people are generally professional and supportive. It has a small company atmosphere and everybody knows everyone.

ConsThe semiconductor industry is high pressure and deadline driven. Working at UCT is being part of that industry. The pay is below market average and did not always have the latest software to perform my job. Turnover in engineering is high because personal and career growth does not exist.

Worked for Ultra Clean Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ultra Clean Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ultra Clean Technology CEO Clarence L. Granger. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Ultra Clean Technology employees.