Ultra Electronics

Updated September 16, 2014
2.2

Ultra Electronics Chairman Douglas Caster
Douglas Caster

Pros
  • has some potentially interesting projects (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, great people and work environment, flexible work schedule, challenging and interesting work, nice commute, business rebounding (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know how to run a company (in 9 reviews)

• The company is being driven into the ground by the decisions of the senior management team (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Those who look ONLY to the past or the present...are certain to MISS the future!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits, great people and work environment, flexible work schedule, challenging and interesting work, nice commute, business rebounding.

Cons

Our primary customer, government, has had budget issues creating business challenges and fierce competition.

Keep focusing on long term objectives while continuing to make positive strides tackling near term challenges. Continue to promote from within and grow internal talent.

To little to late

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

None, the current morale is not conducive to a happy work force

Cons

The measure of any companies business model and leadership is how they weather a recession,
    needless to say Ultra has not faired well since 2008. Highlighting a business model and management that are unable to compete in today’s tough market.
    I think they have now lost about 50% of workforce thru layoffs, instead of addressing issue they have gutted the workforce. Should they land a major contract they will be unable to staff it, no chance of that happening as they have not won a major contract since 2009.
    I do not believe any of SMT had any management experience prior to Ultra, instead of focusing on ability selection is admission to “old boys club”. They have let go excellent technicians only to keep ones of lower ability that are YES men, forward thinkers and those that challenge the status quo are not welcome here. The SMT are unable to process suggestions without being offended, they view everything as a personal attack, which guarantees your place in next round of layoffs.
    They have a wealth of knowledge on hand or did have, yet the SMT refuse to recognize any talent other than their own. A prime example is the convoluted appraisal process, if your management team butchers such a simple task you may want to re-evaluate those you expect to make company profitable.
    The future for Ultra is hinged on the ability of SMT, so its not so bright based on their performance to date.

RIP

Had to identify target markets and develop sales force globally

Former Employee - Global Business Development Manager  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Global Business Development Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great potential and engineering support ran my own portion of the business. I had direct impact on a large corporations direction.

Cons

Ethics, lack of focus, time to market and market acceptance.

Get your ethics back

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Columbia City, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Columbia City, IN

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My paychecks never bounced, at least that is something positive, of course that is a very low bar of expectation.

Cons

Awful incompetent management, unrealistic schedules, very poor work life balance, low pay , poor benefits, boring work, unhealthy working conditions, long hours.

Please resign immediately, you have run the company into the ground and with continuing defense department budget cuts your company is not getting back up off the canvas any time soon.

The people are great but management continues to demonstrate that it does not know what it is doing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are the best. I have friends for life.
    The work is very rewarding knowing that it aids those who are in harms way to protect us all.

Cons

There are no promotions since there is no career paths defined.
    The communication about where the company is or where it is going does not match with reality. One does not know what work might be available or when.

Get assistance from a source that you respect and implement it. Be held accountable to the people that are producing for you.

We do not care about you. Just bill the government and be happy you have a job.

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) A job.
    2) Very little accountability.
    3) work from home.
    4) Interesting to watch a social experiment masquerading as a real company ran by absolutely talentless individuals who crawled over, steamrolled, and layed-off better performers in order to become Managers because they were a threat to them.

Cons

1) You have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning and take part in ripping off the U.S. Government and the tax payers, because you know the incompetent program managers and division managers are getting getting 6-figure salaries on tax payers back.

2) They will squander your talents, hopes and dreams on menial tasks until you one day you finally had enough and leave (one of the best thing I ever did for my career).

2) This company releases to the U.S. government very crappy software, built on almost decade old technology that breaks something new with every release. As long as the government keeps paying to fix "bugs" they will keep on releasing crappy software.

3) Only the most desperate of employees stay in this company. Eventually the very worst of employees, whom are the only ones that "stuck it out" get promoted, because the talented ones will not stick around and work with utterly incompetent managers and division managers.

4) They have app-challanges, which are essentially a way to steal all of your employees ideas.
    I saw an employee come up with a great secure-twitter app (called "Ultra-Social"), but as soon as the project got started they eventually kicked out the gentleman who came up with the idea off them team by just not inviting him to the meetings and eventually firing him (True story...I suggested he bring a lawsuit to the company):

Company: "Thanks for the idea, now get out of our meeting we need to discuss how we will implement your idea"

Creator: "Wait I came up with the idea...it was my idea. I should be part of the meetings and project."

Company: "Nope sorry. By the way we are not inviting you to any of the future meetings...and on the way out sign this paper and take this dollar stating you relinquish all ownership of the idea or your fired."

Creator: "I don't want to get fired, I'll sign the paper I guess."

Company: "Good..glad to hear it...good job coming up with the idea."

a week later...

Company: "Sorry...we have to let you go."

What can I possibly tell you that will make you understand how terribly incompetent program managers and division managers you are? Watch and read more Richard Feynman ;)

Glad I stuck it out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Over the last six months ProLogic has been relentless in adopting clear objectives, reshaping the business strategy, protecting our core values, taking care of the people and driving a clear and conscience renewed commitment from the top executive team.

Pros: Maintaining this business-first mind-set and taking care of the customer has projected loud and clear from the President. ProLogic the company continues to excel with a palpable sense of pride. But what makes it different? ProLogic is driven by an explicit and concrete mission: “Protect the core, grow the business, and take care of the people. Getting these things right makes all the difference. When employees know what it takes to perform, develop, grow, and succeed. It creates an authentic connection between an employer and how it really feels inside—the employee value proposition. It gives a healthy sense that promises made are promises kept.

Like it or leave it. My spirit is rejuvenated.

Cons

Cons: Leadership must continue to communicate and be accountable for spotting, developing, and retaining the next generation of leaders. Making the investment in their people now will pay off in big dividends later.

ProLogic is an evolving company that values hard work and dedication.

Current Employee - Office Administrative  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Office Administrative in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Senior management cares about the work the company is doing and keeping dedicated employees happy.

Senior management maintains an open door policy and addresses concerns.

Many opportunities to grow and learn in your position.

Cons

The company has shrunk considerably, but seems to be right sized currently.

Maintain the open door policy and continue to have open communications with all employees based on the current state of the company.

so much promise but in the end disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company did well as an 8(a) and eventually graduated from that status. First 4-5 years at ProLogic were very positive and I was a recognized expert in my area. Office in Manassas was nice even if the location was remote (nondescript office park in a semi-rural area).

Cons

Upon becoming a midsize firm the sledding became tougher. This happens to a lot of midsize firms so it was not totally surprising. Eventually ProLogic sold to a UK firm (Ultra). Despite the "nothing will change" rhetoric over time just about everything changed. My boss, who had personally recruited me to ProLogic, was laid off and in the ensuing months I saw most of my responsibilities, along with all the tools and processes I had built over the years, slowly stripped away and given to other people. Yet at the same time I was being encouraged to get more involved. And do what? When the end finally came (layoff) I was actually relieved to no longer be in this limbo.

Prologic is finally getting it

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time

Pros

nearly 100% turnover at the top has finally got rid of the trash. New mgt team has things calmed down. future programs and projects look encouraging.

Cons

company in transition and fixing problems that existed for a long time.

Listen to your people, pay attention to your customers, talk to everybody (not just yourselves)

Worked for Ultra Electronics? Contribute to the Community!