Ultra Electronics

Updated February 15, 2015
Updated February 15, 2015
2.7

Rakesh Sharma

Pros
  • has some potentially interesting projects (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, great people and work environment, flexible work schedule, challenging and interesting work, nice commute, business rebounding (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know how to run a company (in 11 reviews)

• The company is being driven into the ground by the decisions of the senior management team (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Superb leading edge technologies give Ultra Electronics a market advantage over peers!

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Ultra Electronics

Pros

Ultra invests in its product lines to ensure that the next generation of technology is delivered sooner than others can achieve. This makes selling for this company much easier.

Cons

Because company is international-based in London, many people have not heard as much about it as they have the Lockheed, GD, Raytheon. Nevertheless, these guys are great at pleasing their government customers and the word-of-mouth reputation from one customer to another spreads quickly,

To achieve the kind of market reach needed, grow your sales force. Invest as much in sales force as you do in your engineers.

Downhill Downhill

Current Employee - Employee in Yaphank, NY
    Current Employee - Employee in Yaphank, NY

I have been working at Ultra Electronics

Pros

Nothing to put in this box.

Cons

With the shrinking defence budget Ultra has reorganized divisions closing some and merging others. Problem is the merging is done strictly on PL not on growth potential. Presidents that ran small divisions (never growing them) are assigned larger ones who are losing money; this seals the fate of the larger divisions as they were the new guys 'rival' and there is no interest in growing the 'rival'. MSI is flapping in the wind with no potential for growth while the brains in engineering and BD are let go at the whim of the new president. Same president that killed a small components business (he fired ops, BD and engineering left also).

In time of shrinking defence budgets need to hire to grow - not hire to economize. Need proven people that can look to future and make it profitable, not concentrate on this quarters returns.

Trampled on, Violated, Heartbroke

Former Employee - Material Handler
    Former Employee - Material Handler

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were a lot of really great Production people there. There were a few Supervisors I got along great with, They actually appreciated my hard working ways and desire to do a good job. Great Benefit's, decent wage. I loved my job, I lost a huge family of people who's faces and smiles, encouragement, helpers. I Loved them and the work I did. Some of those management people could not stand my standing up for myself.

Cons

A lot of power games played by HR and Supervisors. Write ups for not doing (someone else's job) along with your own while moving the company next door. Social game playing between management. The lazy prosper and the worker get's the Plank. Could not get a second opinion on a review (per HR) everyone knew was bull, I was allowed a verbal. I was suspended a week for doing something I had previously been given permission to do. By my Supervisor. When I came back to work my supervisor handed me the suspension papers to sign. He said as he chuckled, I'm really not trying to pick on you. Second bull write up, with a suspension attached. I questioned him about .the permission he had previously given me. He said " Well I didn't mean it like that.", I then received a review aprox 1 week later and, aprox 8 months late...Stated I needed to learn to Communicate better. I thought Supervisors were to communicate to you what they expect, clearly. Bad review. Supervisors disagreed and I still got a bad review. HERE IS THE KICKER: What was the permission for? To leave immediately if my family called, my son's fiance and mother to my grandchildren was expected to die, her blood cells were breaking down and bleeding down her brain stem. She was 24. My Supervisor came and got me 15 minutes before the shift end for the phone call to come to the hospital, I left. I called in the next morning, later around 2:30 HR called and asked if my son's fiancee had passed. I said no and they suspended me. I was not even allowed to put donation cans in the cafeteria, HR said they did not want to pressure people into giving. Then came a Big Wig to each line gathering everyone and asking for donations for one of the production workers who's spouse was passing. In the end they just made up another lie and fired me. I had restrictions from their workers comp Dr. and they would only give me work that went against the restrictions. Then they fired me!

Mr President when an employee comes to you with these kind of problems you should do more than give them a $50.00 gift card and say things should have been handled differently. You are the one who could have made a difference sir. I thought you had good morals. When approximately 90% of your workforce tells you HR is horrible and you should start fresh, You should. OR Was this your decision? To make up a lie to fire me.

Was a great company

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has flexible working schedule and is a growing company. The company has good job security and reasonable benefits. Good employees to work with.

Cons

Corporate company now not private like before. A lot of pressure to get the job done and there are high expectations to be met. Salary is below standard and the influx of new managers has not helped in directing the company in a positive manner.

Need to pay better salaries if they want people to stay there long term.

To little to late

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None, the current morale is not conducive to a happy work force

Cons

The measure of any companies business model and leadership is how they weather a recession,
    needless to say Ultra has not faired well since 2008. Highlighting a business model and management that are unable to compete in today’s tough market.
    I think they have now lost about 50% of workforce thru layoffs, instead of addressing issue they have gutted the workforce. Should they land a major contract they will be unable to staff it, no chance of that happening as they have not won a major contract since 2009.
    I do not believe any of SMT had any management experience prior to Ultra, instead of focusing on ability selection is admission to “old boys club”. They have let go excellent technicians only to keep ones of lower ability that are YES men, forward thinkers and those that challenge the status quo are not welcome here. The SMT are unable to process suggestions without being offended, they view everything as a personal attack, which guarantees your place in next round of layoffs.
    They have a wealth of knowledge on hand or did have, yet the SMT refuse to recognize any talent other than their own. A prime example is the convoluted appraisal process, if your management team butchers such a simple task you may want to re-evaluate those you expect to make company profitable.
    The future for Ultra is hinged on the ability of SMT, so its not so bright based on their performance to date.

RIP

Had to identify target markets and develop sales force globally

Former Employee - Global Business Development Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Global Business Development Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great potential and engineering support ran my own portion of the business. I had direct impact on a large corporations direction.

Cons

Ethics, lack of focus, time to market and market acceptance.

Get your ethics back

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Columbia City, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Columbia City, IN

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My paychecks never bounced, at least that is something positive, of course that is a very low bar of expectation.

Cons

Awful incompetent management, unrealistic schedules, very poor work life balance, low pay , poor benefits, boring work, unhealthy working conditions, long hours.

Please resign immediately, you have run the company into the ground and with continuing defense department budget cuts your company is not getting back up off the canvas any time soon.

Those who look ONLY to the past or the present...are certain to MISS the future!

Current Employee - Manager in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, great people and work environment, flexible work schedule, challenging and interesting work, nice commute, business rebounding.

Cons

Our primary customer, government, has had budget issues creating business challenges and fierce competition.

Keep focusing on long term objectives while continuing to make positive strides tackling near term challenges. Continue to promote from within and grow internal talent.

The people are great but management continues to demonstrate that it does not know what it is doing.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the best. I have friends for life.
    The work is very rewarding knowing that it aids those who are in harms way to protect us all.

Cons

There are no promotions since there is no career paths defined.
    The communication about where the company is or where it is going does not match with reality. One does not know what work might be available or when.

Get assistance from a source that you respect and implement it. Be held accountable to the people that are producing for you.

We do not care about you. Just bill the government and be happy you have a job.

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) A job.
    2) Very little accountability.
    3) work from home.
    4) Interesting to watch a social experiment masquerading as a real company ran by absolutely talentless individuals who crawled over, steamrolled, and layed-off better performers in order to become Managers because they were a threat to them.

Cons

1) You have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning and take part in ripping off the U.S. Government and the tax payers, because you know the incompetent program managers and division managers are getting getting 6-figure salaries on tax payers back.

2) They will squander your talents, hopes and dreams on menial tasks until you one day you finally had enough and leave (one of the best thing I ever did for my career).

2) This company releases to the U.S. government very crappy software, built on almost decade old technology that breaks something new with every release. As long as the government keeps paying to fix "bugs" they will keep on releasing crappy software.

3) Only the most desperate of employees stay in this company. Eventually the very worst of employees, whom are the only ones that "stuck it out" get promoted, because the talented ones will not stick around and work with utterly incompetent managers and division managers.

4) They have app-challanges, which are essentially a way to steal all of your employees ideas.
    I saw an employee come up with a great secure-twitter app (called "Ultra-Social"), but as soon as the project got started they eventually kicked out the gentleman who came up with the idea off them team by just not inviting him to the meetings and eventually firing him (True story...I suggested he bring a lawsuit to the company):

Company: "Thanks for the idea, now get out of our meeting we need to discuss how we will implement your idea"

Creator: "Wait I came up with the idea...it was my idea. I should be part of the meetings and project."

Company: "Nope sorry. By the way we are not inviting you to any of the future meetings...and on the way out sign this paper and take this dollar stating you relinquish all ownership of the idea or your fired."

Creator: "I don't want to get fired, I'll sign the paper I guess."

Company: "Good..glad to hear it...good job coming up with the idea."

a week later...

Company: "Sorry...we have to let you go."

What can I possibly tell you that will make you understand how terribly incompetent program managers and division managers you are? Watch and read more Richard Feynman ;)