Ultra Electronics Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Rakesh Sharma

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits, great people and work environment, flexible work schedule, challenging and interesting work, nice commute, business rebounding (in 3 reviews)

• Very good conditions, with great benefits package and working time etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't know how to run a company (in 11 reviews)

• The company is being driven into the ground by the decisions of the senior management team (in 8 reviews)

Watch These Reviews!

Former Employee - Employee in Yaphank, NY
    Former Employee - Employee in Yaphank, NY

I worked at Ultra Electronics (More than 8 years)

Pros

"Ultra invests in its product lines to ensure that the next generation of technology is delivered sooner than others can achieve. This makes selling for this company much easier"

"Over the last six months ProLogic has been relentless in adopting clear objectives, reshaping the business strategy, protecting our core values, taking care of the people and driving a clear and conscience renewed commitment from the top executive team"

"EMS is a great environment for continued personal and professional growth. The company has a diversified product offering that secures business even during the sequester. Excellent benefits. Strong leadership and values. Management accessible. Open-door policy. Great work-life balance."

"Ultra Electronics is a company for life, having joined almost 9 years ago now. The employee benefits are vast and are the best I’ve seen at any company. Staff and managers are friendly and professional and always encourage employee development. The Ultra Electronics culture allows employees to grow and progress through the company by offering on the job training and advice."

"What a fantasic company to work for. I work with great people and the company has excellent leadership. The culture here is amazing, my collegues are so supportive, it feels like a family!"

"I am still in my first year of being part of this company but already been made to feel very welcomed, involved and challenged. I have learnt so much in a short time frame and have plenty of scope to learn more with a number of training opportunities given to me to assist with this education. My own job has already grown so much without being overwhelmed with work as…"

"No ideas or concepts are off-limits. They even have a fund to encourage people to come up with new (sometimes strange) ideas and get additional corporate funding to get them going"

"People are treated as adults with scope to do their job well and get recognised and rewarded for it. Flexible benefits (you can have extra holiday, buy cars, get shares (with tax benefits)) do help. I know some bits of"

Cons

Read the 'Pros.' Real people don't talk like this - HR and corporate communication experts talk like this. When a company has HR stuffing Glassdoor with positive reviews and and superlatives like "it feels like a family" its a sign of corporate culture. If you want to work for a culture like this - Ultra is for you.

Advice to Management

Attempts to stuff Glassdoor are transparent. Treat your employees better let them write the reviews not your HR department.

2. Sr. Electrical Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Eden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Eden Valley, MN

I worked at Ultra Electronics (Less than a year)

Pros

Great companym to work for as they allowed remote work.

Cons

None that I am aware of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Not a good organization to work for

Former Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Ultra Electronics (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay but benefits were so-so

Cons

significant leadership insecurities, constantly under threat by senior management

Advice to Management

Quit and start over immediately

Senior Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA

I worked at Ultra Electronics

Pros

There are no pros to working at Ultra Electronics

Cons

Work life balance is not good.
    Recognition for work is not good
    Senior management team is out of touch with employees
    Entire company is dysfunctional in every respect

Ultra Electronics Response

Apr 13, 2015Group Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you did not have a more positive experience at the business in Braintree, MA. I will feed this back to the management team.

By way of information the
    ... More

Looks can be deceiving........Beware.

I worked at Ultra Electronics

Pros

Atmosphere was better than most factories, from a Cosmetic, and Climate Control perspective. Definitely not a "Sweatshop". Building and grounds were well kept. Security is a top priority, almost bordering on a prison. Cameras everywhere, to the point of overkill. All emails are scanned and read by security officer. Big Brother is definitely watching.

Cons

Upper Management and HR do not communicate well to employees, and keeps them in the dark as much as possible. Many have been blindsided with RIF's and other negative happenings after being told "All is well". There is no level of trust, and many are simply waiting nervously for their number to come up. If they feel you are overpaid regardless of the quality of work you do, they will not hesitate to release you in favor of bringing in lower skilled talent. It's all about the money with these guys. Being owned by the Brits does not help matters much, as operators and low/mid management are looked upon as assets, not people. Company does not offer growth potential unless you are part of the inner circle. People that were brought in as a result of acquisition are looked upon as second class citizens.

Advice to Management

Less clandestine operating procedures, and gain back the trust in all that work there. Don't look to cut heads every chance you get. The most important asset a company has is its people. You cant replace loyalty and knowledge once its gone.

Terrible Management. This company will not be around in 5 years.

I worked at Ultra Electronics

Pros

There are no pros to report.

Cons

Lack of integrity and business acumen.

8. Superb leading edge technologies give Ultra Electronics a market advantage over peers!

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Ultra Electronics

Pros

Ultra invests in its product lines to ensure that the next generation of technology is delivered sooner than others can achieve. This makes selling for this company much easier.

Cons

Because company is international-based in London, many people have not heard as much about it as they have the Lockheed, GD, Raytheon. Nevertheless, these guys are great at pleasing their government customers and the word-of-mouth reputation from one customer to another spreads quickly,

Advice to Management

To achieve the kind of market reach needed, grow your sales force. Invest as much in sales force as you do in your engineers.

Ultra Electronics Response

Apr 20, 2015Group Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. This is very valuable.

Trampled on, Violated, Heartbroke

Former Employee - Material Handler
    Former Employee - Material Handler

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were a lot of really great Production people there. There were a few Supervisors I got along great with, They actually appreciated my hard working ways and desire to do a good job. Great Benefit's, decent wage. I loved my job, I lost a huge family of people who's faces and smiles, encouragement, helpers. I Loved them and the work I did. Some of those management people could not stand my standing up for myself.

Cons

A lot of power games played by HR and Supervisors. Write ups for not doing (someone else's job) along with your own while moving the company next door. Social game playing between management. The lazy prosper and the worker get's the Plank. Could not get a second opinion on a review (per HR) everyone knew was bull, I was allowed a verbal. I was suspended a week for doing something I had previously been given permission to do. By my Supervisor. When I came back to work my supervisor handed me the suspension papers to sign. He said as he chuckled, I'm really not trying to pick on you. Second bull write up, with a suspension attached. I questioned him about .the permission he had previously given me. He said " Well I didn't mean it like that.", I then received a review aprox 1 week later and, aprox 8 months late...Stated I needed to learn to Communicate better. I thought Supervisors were to communicate to you what they expect, clearly. Bad review. Supervisors disagreed and I still got a bad review. HERE IS THE KICKER: What was the permission for? To leave immediately if my family called, my son's fiance and mother to my grandchildren was expected to die, her blood cells were breaking down and bleeding down her brain stem. She was 24. My Supervisor came and got me 15 minutes before the shift end for the phone call to come to the hospital, I left. I called in the next morning, later around 2:30 HR called and asked if my son's fiancee had passed. I said no and they suspended me. I was not even allowed to put donation cans in the cafeteria, HR said they did not want to pressure people into giving. Then came a Big Wig to each line gathering everyone and asking for donations for one of the production workers who's spouse was passing. In the end they just made up another lie and fired me. I had restrictions from their workers comp Dr. and they would only give me work that went against the restrictions. Then they fired me!

Advice to Management

Mr President when an employee comes to you with these kind of problems you should do more than give them a $50.00 gift card and say things should have been handled differently. You are the one who could have made a difference sir. I thought you had good morals. When approximately 90% of your workforce tells you HR is horrible and you should start fresh, You should. OR Was this your decision? To make up a lie to fire me.

Was a great company

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has flexible working schedule and is a growing company. The company has good job security and reasonable benefits. Good employees to work with.

Cons

Corporate company now not private like before. A lot of pressure to get the job done and there are high expectations to be met. Salary is below standard and the influx of new managers has not helped in directing the company in a positive manner.

Advice to Management

Need to pay better salaries if they want people to stay there long term.

To little to late

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None, the current morale is not conducive to a happy work force

Cons

The measure of any companies business model and leadership is how they weather a recession,
    needless to say Ultra has not faired well since 2008. Highlighting a business model and management that are unable to compete in today’s tough market.
    I think they have now lost about 50% of workforce thru layoffs, instead of addressing issue they have gutted the workforce. Should they land a major contract they will be unable to staff it, no chance of that happening as they have not won a major contract since 2009.
    I do not believe any of SMT had any management experience prior to Ultra, instead of focusing on ability selection is admission to “old boys club”. They have let go excellent technicians only to keep ones of lower ability that are YES men, forward thinkers and those that challenge the status quo are not welcome here. The SMT are unable to process suggestions without being offended, they view everything as a personal attack, which guarantees your place in next round of layoffs.
    They have a wealth of knowledge on hand or did have, yet the SMT refuse to recognize any talent other than their own. A prime example is the convoluted appraisal process, if your management team butchers such a simple task you may want to re-evaluate those you expect to make company profitable.
    The future for Ultra is hinged on the ability of SMT, so its not so bright based on their performance to date.

Advice to Management

RIP

RSS Feed </> Embed