Ultra Electronics

www.ultra-electronics.com
Employer Engaged

We do not care about you. Just bill the government and be happy you have a job.

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) A job.
    2) Very little accountability.
    3) work from home.
    4) Interesting to watch a social experiment masquerading as a real company ran by absolutely talentless individuals who crawled over, steamrolled, and layed-off better performers in order to become Managers because they were a threat to them.

Cons

1) You have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning and take part in ripping off the U.S. Government and the tax payers, because you know the incompetent program managers and division managers are getting getting 6-figure salaries on tax payers back.

2) They will squander your talents, hopes and dreams on menial tasks until you one day you finally had enough and leave (one of the best thing I ever did for my career).

2) This company releases to the U.S. government very crappy software, built on almost decade old technology that breaks something new with every release. As long as the government keeps paying to fix "bugs" they will keep on releasing crappy software.

3) Only the most desperate of employees stay in this company. Eventually the very worst of employees, whom are the only ones that "stuck it out" get promoted, because the talented ones will not stick around and work with utterly incompetent managers and division managers.

4) They have app-challanges, which are essentially a way to steal all of your employees ideas.
    I saw an employee come up with a great secure-twitter app (called "Ultra-Social"), but as soon as the project got started they eventually kicked out the gentleman who came up with the idea off them team by just not inviting him to the meetings and eventually firing him (True story...I suggested he bring a lawsuit to the company):

Company: "Thanks for the idea, now get out of our meeting we need to discuss how we will implement your idea"

Creator: "Wait I came up with the idea...it was my idea. I should be part of the meetings and project."

Company: "Nope sorry. By the way we are not inviting you to any of the future meetings...and on the way out sign this paper and take this dollar stating you relinquish all ownership of the idea or your fired."

Creator: "I don't want to get fired, I'll sign the paper I guess."

Company: "Good..glad to hear it...good job coming up with the idea."

a week later...

Company: "Sorry...we have to let you go."

What can I possibly tell you that will make you understand how terribly incompetent program managers and division managers you are? Watch and read more Richard Feynman ;)

Glad I stuck it out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Over the last six months ProLogic has been relentless in adopting clear objectives, reshaping the business strategy, protecting our core values, taking care of the people and driving a clear and conscience renewed commitment from the top executive team.

Pros: Maintaining this business-first mind-set and taking care of the customer has projected loud and clear from the President. ProLogic the company continues to excel with a palpable sense of pride. But what makes it different? ProLogic is driven by an explicit and concrete mission: “Protect the core, grow the business, and take care of the people. Getting these things right makes all the difference. When employees know what it takes to perform, develop, grow, and succeed. It creates an authentic connection between an employer and how it really feels inside—the employee value proposition. It gives a healthy sense that promises made are promises kept.

Like it or leave it. My spirit is rejuvenated.

Cons

Cons: Leadership must continue to communicate and be accountable for spotting, developing, and retaining the next generation of leaders. Making the investment in their people now will pay off in big dividends later.

ProLogic is an evolving company that values hard work and dedication.

Current Employee - Office Administrative in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Office Administrative in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior management cares about the work the company is doing and keeping dedicated employees happy.

Senior management maintains an open door policy and addresses concerns.

Many opportunities to grow and learn in your position.

Cons

The company has shrunk considerably, but seems to be right sized currently.

Maintain the open door policy and continue to have open communications with all employees based on the current state of the company.

Prologic is finally getting it

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time

Pros

nearly 100% turnover at the top has finally got rid of the trash. New mgt team has things calmed down. future programs and projects look encouraging.

Cons

company in transition and fixing problems that existed for a long time.

Listen to your people, pay attention to your customers, talk to everybody (not just yourselves)

so much promise but in the end disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company did well as an 8(a) and eventually graduated from that status. First 4-5 years at ProLogic were very positive and I was a recognized expert in my area. Office in Manassas was nice even if the location was remote (nondescript office park in a semi-rural area).

Cons

Upon becoming a midsize firm the sledding became tougher. This happens to a lot of midsize firms so it was not totally surprising. Eventually ProLogic sold to a UK firm (Ultra). Despite the "nothing will change" rhetoric over time just about everything changed. My boss, who had personally recruited me to ProLogic, was laid off and in the ensuing months I saw most of my responsibilities, along with all the tools and processes I had built over the years, slowly stripped away and given to other people. Yet at the same time I was being encouraged to get more involved. And do what? When the end finally came (layoff) I was actually relieved to no longer be in this limbo.

Pathetic.

Former Employee - Worker in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good lessons in how not to run a company.

Cons

Ultra bought failing companies with the idea that running lean and mean with crack management could save them. It didn't work - and due to the distance between management in UK and NA divisions, the NA Divisions are in a horrible state of mismanagement. AMI, USSI, Prologic the list could go on - failures.

Resign.

Valuable lesson how upper management can tear a company down.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Westminster, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Westminster, MD

I worked at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to think of any good things to say about this company.

1) A pay check every two weeks.

2) If you have no idea how to actually engineer a valuable product or service this place is for you.

3) If you can smile everyday and stay positive when the President and VP's treat you like dirt and with very little respect, then this place is for you.

4) Upper Manager is comprised of employees that have no tech background, no previous jobs in management, and were previously admin folks, so you will probably easily impress them, but it won't matter cause they will still take all the credit.

5) If you have no real engineering skills, but like saying words like cloud-computing, innovation, and are willing to constantly remind the few remaining actual engineers that you don't speak "low-level" talk (like it's a bad thing), then this is the place for you.

6) Flex schedule

7) Decent pay if you can mingle, smile, and agree with the terrible decisions your manager makes. If you want a salary increase it's very important to never question upper-management in and outside of meetings.

Cons

1) The company is headed down really fast and you will wonder if you will have a job the next week.

2) Very little accountability for anyone. As long as you can bill hours to the government contract that's all that really matters.

3) If you can't fill out your timesheet and bill the entire 40-hours to the government customer, you better be ready to use vacation or sick time to fill in the gaps, even if you were working, because you are not allowed to bill more than 1 hour of admin-overhead.

4) Even though you have been emailing your manager and your manager's supervisor everyday for a week explaining to them you have no work to do and receive no response you better have your timesheet done on time and have the entire timesheet billable to the government customer, otherwise use your vacation time. I saw a co-worker burn through 40 hours of vacation time filling in the gaps every week al while he was working.

5) Upper management is mostly comprised of folks who came from administrative positions, because they were able to mingle with the VP's around the water cooler. Those folks eventually hire some of their buddies and you have a technology company headed by ex-security managers, secretaries, HR reps, and general managers, with barely one or two actual engineers making decisions.

6) The harder you work the more a project or program manager will try to take credit for your work.

Ultra-Prologic,
    My co-workers, supervisor, and I all used to enjoy coming to work. Please don't purchase another small company just to ruin them. Please find a small business in another industry and ruin them instead. I hear the U.S. needs more bakeries.

If you insist on staying in the technology industry:

1) Your company should not be comprised of admin-staff leading engineering teams.

2) Get rid of the severely overpaid dead weight by looking around you (even in the mirror) and realize who is truly contributing to the company.

3) Empower your engineers to make decisions. Be willing to admit and state that you don't know a certain technology and actually listen to your engineers.

4) Solve the timesheets issues. Employees dread coming to work not knowing how to fill out their timesheets and wasting their vacation and sick time, because you refuse to give them guidance.

Learned a great deal in a short amount of time. It's just too bad the company is imploding from the top down.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer/Scientist in Belle Vernon, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer/Scientist in Belle Vernon, PA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with at and below the Program management level.

Cons

Well below industry standard pay. No bonuses, unless you are at the top. Poor communication. Engineers, the pillars of any engineering company are leaving or being fired at a staggering rate, all so good numbers can be reported to foreign owners.

If you do want this company to be more than a snappy title on your resumes, start taking care of the Engineers you have and create a culture that strives for success.

If you want to be a scapegoat, please work here.

I worked at Ultra Electronics

Pros

Benefits were decent and we had luncheons.

Cons

I worked here for almost a year and there was no on the job training. The first day I got there my manager handed me a stack of papers and said here do this! We had multiple people quit within my department and because of that all of their work got piled on my desk. I asked for training and didn't get it then when I made mistakes I was written up. I'm sorry, but if your employee is begging for training and you never provide it to them how do you suppose them to do a good job? Also, nice that I received an excellent yearly performance review then subsequently get written up and put on a performance improvement plan because they said I wasn't performing throughout the year.. then why did I get an excellent yearly review? I ended up quitting because I couldn't take it anymore and my manager and CFO spread rumors about me that I was fired. Nice company. I would NOT recommend anyone to work here.... not unless you like being a doormat and love being stressed out.

There's a Silver Lining - The CEO, CFO, COO and all the VPs are out the door

Current Employee - Manager in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Manassas, VA

I have been working at Ultra Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There aren't any right now. If the company survives another 18 months and the powers that be manage to get rid of every last member of senior management that gutted the company, it may regain SOME of its previous business, but they've done a lot of damage in the last year. They may never recover.

Don't take a job here.

Cons

What can you say? Seven years ago this was an incredibly profitable company with cutting edge technology. It wasn't uncommon to have a NASA engineer stop by and work on something for a month or two. We beat much larger companies to the punch on a number of projects and managed to attract incredible talent in the areas of program management, engineering, implementation and change management.

Then the founder of the company retired, the President retired and in came the new CEO, CFO, COO and a few blatantly incompetent VPs in the areas of security and resource management.

After R&D projects that produced nothing, hasty acquisitions, angry customers, abusive policies (basically abusive senior management), all of the talent in the company either took off or was laid off.

Now they've closed most of the offices, shrunk down to 1/5 the workforce they had when I started and it doesn't look good.

BUT - someone does seem to be finally getting their ducks in order.

For the ones that outright resigned, thanks. For the ones holding out for a big package, just quit already. You already squandered every last resource in the company. Leave and start a new career outside of this industry. Take the words, "strategy," "leadership," and "success," off of your resumes.