Umpqua Bank

Umpqua Bank Reviews

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

Umpqua Bank President, CEO, and Director, Umpqua Holdings and Umpqua Bank Ray Davis
Ray Davis

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance, Learning Opportunities, Company Culture, Community Investment (in 5 reviews)

• Associates are empowered to make decisions without asking permission for everything, which gives us a feeling of ownership and responsibility (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • My first week 4 people were fired in front of me, including upper management (in 6 reviews)

• They hire you on as a Universal Associate which means you are a teller (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Growth company . Image is everything

Current Employee - IT Management
    Current Employee - IT Management

I have been working at Umpqua Bank

Pros

Growth, Growth, Growth,....great opportunities for driven to succeed.

Cons

Growth, Growth, Growth,....great challenges of not enough time to do the job right the first time

Consider a little more focus on reality of the hard work of building IT foundations instead of focusing on the facade.

Great development

Current Employee - Universal Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Universal Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open communication with exceuttives, Culture

Cons

Time off, staffing can be short, none other than those

None

Worlds greatest teams

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Umpqua Bank

Pros

Great coworkers, fun environment to date

Cons

Slow technology, loss of culture consistancy

Pick a direction, and have everyone lead by example, in management and with subordinates

If you're young and inexperienced in banking world can be a good fit .....not for seasoned professionals

Former Employee - Universal Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Universal Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture- Get paid to volunteer and get involved with your community

Cons

Lack of formal development options. Company has no structured development plan for associates who work at the branch level for promotion or lateral move. Lack of control over career....branch and district managers have an abnormal amount of discretion and control over associate career growth without clear job performance measurement relatability. Lack of stability... a lot of employee shuffling and turnover

The universal associate position needs more development... how does one gain necessary training or experience to move anywhere else in the company without relocating?

An amazing company needs spectacular employees

Current Employee - Universal Associate II
    Current Employee - Universal Associate II

I have been working at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom, Empowerment, Training, Unique, Inspiring, motivating, Feeling appreciated, Feeling recognized, Medical Benefits

Cons

Entry level management, Pay, Computer programs

Your creative strategies and cultural enhancement teams are amazing. Anyone I talk to in Oregon is wonderful. But pay attention to who you are putting in charge to manage stores. This is a very unique and quality company to work for but who you hire could wash away all the hard work everyone else has put in to it. I am in the Seattle area but I am an original Umpqua employee. I never worked for Sterling or Rainier Pacific. But I can say this much, I can tell the difference between a former Sterling, and a former Rainer employee.I understand that senior management cant see everything but there needs to be consistency in the associates attitude and work ethic. The "merged" employees have the "worn out" banker attitude, or the "big bank" attitude. Even the "im here for the paycheck" attitude. I felt so grateful when I was offered a position with Umpqua. But at my store were mostly old Rainer Pacific employees and they put the Umpqua name to shame. It almost drove me to go back to my former employer. The negativity and lack of passion for the culture or the job was just depressing. It sure changes when senior management shows up though! We are empowered as employees and do multiple job roles while only being paid for one. We deserve leaders that inspire rather than tear down. Please do not let the lack of culture from Sterling Bank taint the Umpqua culture.

Universal associate

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great environment,good people , fun atmosphere

Cons

low pay , long hours, becoming more focused on sales similar to national banks

more coaching and mentoring

Meh..

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at Umpqua - for 4 years. Everyone in my office was great. We had somewhat of a close knit and family feel. That was encouraged by management, but that was the extent of it. When it got right down to taking care of customers, I rarely saw it.

Cons

My mgr was in a different office. Only cared about himself. Bank's credit culture is TERRIBLE, Half the people in credit approval roles are too scared to make a decision, so it was simply easier to say no to a loan request than roll up your sleeves and work on it. Definitely not as customer focused as they think they are. Growth has ALWAYS been by acquisition which proves the Credit people really don't know how to be creative but simply acquire loans that other banks have already done. NOT impressed.

LIsten to your people!! EMPLOYEES ALWAYS KNOW BEST.
    I went to a meeting once where the head of PR was asking everyone's opinion. I emailed her with a question as a followup. She never responded and nothing every came of her information gathering.

Friendly, well-intentioned, but needs some focus and some truthiness

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time

Pros

If you loved high school, you'll like it here. Cliques are strong. Relations are good within them and usually good enough between them. There's a high premium put on helping the community and lots of support to do it. The facilities are very nice and people in general are happy to be there. Good teambuilding.

Cons

Management by the urgent, not the important, and management can't prioritize. The IT department is in real disarray. Imagine writing code to meet a deadline and having the screen flash "shout outs" and community messages about groups or people you don't know and have nothing to do with you. This goes on a lot, especially during the holiday season. The assumption is that everyone is interrupt-driven. Work piles on and if you point out that there's too much of it to meet quality and too many random interruptions that would be great for tellers but not so good for coders, you're not a team player. People rank each other politically hour-by-hour.

Ray Davis needs his own tech team. He has no idea how often his pet projects interfere with business commitments. There are lots of "off-the-books" requests for help. People are afraid to be honest about project status.

Great little bank that is growing

Former Employee - Direct Lending Loan Support Specialist in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Direct Lending Loan Support Specialist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great manager and co-workers. Has a family feel to the organization.

Cons

Due to merger and drop in home loan activity they experienced several layoffs in 2013.

Community bank with great vision and many associates who try to achieve that vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty darn good! Besides your typical health insurance, 401(k), etc., the company offers the following: 40 hours of paid time off to volunteer, Trimet pass reimbursements, and professional dress advances, to name a few. The company also has a lot of good associates that bring a lot of great experience with bigger and more mature companies to the table. Many of the associates are very passionate about working for the bank and want to go above and beyond every day and work together to help each other out to get the job done. Growth potential within the company is also excellent. Although there is no formal mentorship programs in place, there are many good managers who ensure that they find out what their associates' short and long term goals are and they help them get there, even if it means moving outside their current department eventually.

Cons

The bank is big on culture, but with the acquisition of Sterling, the culture is struggling a little bit. Everyone is working hard (on both sides) to combine teams, take on new processes, and yet still get the job done and it is weighing on everyone. There is a lot of extra work being done and sometimes it is daunting. Also, the bank still struggles with some old-school mentalities. For instance, although work from home opportunities are offered in certain instances, it is not consistent and probably isn't nearly enough to remain competitive with other companies that offer the benefit. A lot of times it is up to individual managers to determine if they offer work from home. Therefore, some have no problem with it and some you have to nearly beg to work from home for a day. Also, despite the integration activities going on, there is a lot of overwork anyways and a lot of people do not feel they are paid fairly for the amount of hours that they put in.

Offer more work from home opportunities where it is possible, offer better work-life balance for salaried areas.