Umpqua Bank Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.4

Umpqua Bank President, CEO, and Director, Umpqua Holdings and Umpqua Bank Ray Davis
Ray Davis

Pros
  • Work-Life Balance, Learning Opportunities, Company Culture, Community Investment (in 5 reviews)

• Associates are empowered to make decisions without asking permission for everything, which gives us a feeling of ownership and responsibility (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • My first week 4 people were fired in front of me, including upper management (in 6 reviews)

• They hire you on as a Universal Associate which means you are a teller (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Universal associate

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great environment,good people , fun atmosphere

Cons

low pay , long hours, becoming more focused on sales similar to national banks

more coaching and mentoring

An amazing company needs spectacular employees

Current Employee - Universal Associate II
    Current Employee - Universal Associate II

I have been working at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom, Empowerment, Training, Unique, Inspiring, motivating, Feeling appreciated, Feeling recognized, Medical Benefits

Cons

Entry level management, Pay, Computer programs

Your creative strategies and cultural enhancement teams are amazing. Anyone I talk to in Oregon is wonderful. But pay attention to who you are putting in charge to manage stores. This is a very unique and quality company to work for but who you hire could wash away all the hard work everyone else has put in to it. I am in the Seattle area but I am an original Umpqua employee. I never worked for Sterling or Rainier Pacific. But I can say this much, I can tell the difference between a former Sterling, and a former Rainer employee.I understand that senior management cant see everything but there needs to be consistency in the associates attitude and work ethic. The "merged" employees have the "worn out" banker attitude, or the "big bank" attitude. Even the "im here for the paycheck" attitude. I felt so grateful when I was offered a position with Umpqua. But at my store were mostly old Rainer Pacific employees and they put the Umpqua name to shame. It almost drove me to go back to my former employer. The negativity and lack of passion for the culture or the job was just depressing. It sure changes when senior management shows up though! We are empowered as employees and do multiple job roles while only being paid for one. We deserve leaders that inspire rather than tear down. Please do not let the lack of culture from Sterling Bank taint the Umpqua culture.

Meh..

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked at Umpqua - for 4 years. Everyone in my office was great. We had somewhat of a close knit and family feel. That was encouraged by management, but that was the extent of it. When it got right down to taking care of customers, I rarely saw it.

Cons

My mgr was in a different office. Only cared about himself. Bank's credit culture is TERRIBLE, Half the people in credit approval roles are too scared to make a decision, so it was simply easier to say no to a loan request than roll up your sleeves and work on it. Definitely not as customer focused as they think they are. Growth has ALWAYS been by acquisition which proves the Credit people really don't know how to be creative but simply acquire loans that other banks have already done. NOT impressed.

LIsten to your people!! EMPLOYEES ALWAYS KNOW BEST.
    I went to a meeting once where the head of PR was asking everyone's opinion. I emailed her with a question as a followup. She never responded and nothing every came of her information gathering.

Friendly, well-intentioned, but needs some focus and some truthiness

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time

Pros

If you loved high school, you'll like it here. Cliques are strong. Relations are good within them and usually good enough between them. There's a high premium put on helping the community and lots of support to do it. The facilities are very nice and people in general are happy to be there. Good teambuilding.

Cons

Management by the urgent, not the important, and management can't prioritize. The IT department is in real disarray. Imagine writing code to meet a deadline and having the screen flash "shout outs" and community messages about groups or people you don't know and have nothing to do with you. This goes on a lot, especially during the holiday season. The assumption is that everyone is interrupt-driven. Work piles on and if you point out that there's too much of it to meet quality and too many random interruptions that would be great for tellers but not so good for coders, you're not a team player. People rank each other politically hour-by-hour.

Ray Davis needs his own tech team. He has no idea how often his pet projects interfere with business commitments. There are lots of "off-the-books" requests for help. People are afraid to be honest about project status.

Great little bank that is growing

Former Employee - Direct Lending Loan Support Specialist in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Direct Lending Loan Support Specialist in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great manager and co-workers. Has a family feel to the organization.

Cons

Due to merger and drop in home loan activity they experienced several layoffs in 2013.

Community bank with great vision and many associates who try to achieve that vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty darn good! Besides your typical health insurance, 401(k), etc., the company offers the following: 40 hours of paid time off to volunteer, Trimet pass reimbursements, and professional dress advances, to name a few. The company also has a lot of good associates that bring a lot of great experience with bigger and more mature companies to the table. Many of the associates are very passionate about working for the bank and want to go above and beyond every day and work together to help each other out to get the job done. Growth potential within the company is also excellent. Although there is no formal mentorship programs in place, there are many good managers who ensure that they find out what their associates' short and long term goals are and they help them get there, even if it means moving outside their current department eventually.

Cons

The bank is big on culture, but with the acquisition of Sterling, the culture is struggling a little bit. Everyone is working hard (on both sides) to combine teams, take on new processes, and yet still get the job done and it is weighing on everyone. There is a lot of extra work being done and sometimes it is daunting. Also, the bank still struggles with some old-school mentalities. For instance, although work from home opportunities are offered in certain instances, it is not consistent and probably isn't nearly enough to remain competitive with other companies that offer the benefit. A lot of times it is up to individual managers to determine if they offer work from home. Therefore, some have no problem with it and some you have to nearly beg to work from home for a day. Also, despite the integration activities going on, there is a lot of overwork anyways and a lot of people do not feel they are paid fairly for the amount of hours that they put in.

Offer more work from home opportunities where it is possible, offer better work-life balance for salaried areas.

Worst bank job ever

Former Employee - Universal Associate III
    Former Employee - Universal Associate III

I worked at Umpqua Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were great, 9-5, Mon-Fri.

Cons

The worst computer system I have ever seen used in a business setting. It was a step up from a type writer, which they made us use! Who still uses a typewriter!? The job was a joke, there is no commission to be made. They hire you on as a Universal Associate which means you are a teller. Completely lied to me about the job and forced me to do work that a 3 year old could do. The management is beyond gossip queens, everyone was out to get someone else fired. My first week 4 people were fired in front of me, including upper management. The HR department is corrupt and forces people to lie about their meetings. I watched a girl move from Portland to SF, to be accused of something she didn't do, HR told her to tell everyone her father had a heart attack, when they actually flew her home to punish her. This has to be the worst company I have ever worked for, I am embarrassed to say I was ever employed by these corrupt jerks. If you get offered a job in the Bay Area, run away, fast and never look back. Oh and if you interview at Walnut Creek, be warned, they are liars, corrupt, two faced, rude, will talk about your personal HR issues with staff, and completely try to break you down with their fake sense of entitlement from their positions.

Stop promoting liars, and managers that abuse their associates verbally. Get the culture BS in California to work as it does in Oregon. Upgrade the computers and systems to be competitive with the market. And not housing associates Licenses is a great way to get people to leave.

No longer a community

Current Employee - Universal Associate
    Current Employee - Universal Associate

I have been working at Umpqua Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a banking job.

Cons

The Sterling merger is proving to be a horrible match with Umpqua. Done are the days of a community bank, it is all about profit numbers now. Cold calling is being pushed harder then ever and as other reviewers have said it is all about politics in this company. HR is not available for associates, you can only talk to your manager or risk retaliation for trying to go higher. Umpqua was once a good thing but now we are just one of the big banks.

Universal Associate

Current Employee - Universal Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Universal Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Umpqua Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

fun, great benefits, decent pay, work/life balance

Cons

Technology is super slow for being the Worlds Greatest Bank, Slow at times between customers, Lack of training.

Be nice to have actual hands on training than just listening to how it's done.

Great at first, but struggling with Sterling merger

I have been working at Umpqua Bank

Pros

The company culture is one of empowerment. There is a lot of room for career growth if you are willing to work hard and put in the time. The people are fantastic and great to work with.

Cons

With the Sterling merger, company politics have become prominent. The culture is being diluted as a result of compromise with retained leadership. Pay is not at market for comparable positions and the company is slow to address. Even with large turnover, no adjustments have been made. Lack of leadership in some areas and upper management feels that middle managers are responsible for leading without support.

The Umpqua Culture is amazing. Please don't let the politics of the Sterling merger take away from the World's Greatest Bank. Listen to the feedback about executive management. If you get multiple complaints about an executive, there is some truth behind it.