Umpqua Bank

Umpqua Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Umpqua Bank President, CEO, and Director, Umpqua Holdings and Umpqua Bank Ray Davis

Ray Davis

Pros
  • fun, great benefits, decent pay, work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Associates are empowered to make decisions without asking permission for everything, which gives us a feeling of ownership and responsibility(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very political upper management(in 5 reviews)

• The training provided for anyone other than a Universal Associate is terrible(in 3 reviews)

Universal Associate

Universal Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosfun, great benefits, decent pay, work/life balance

ConsTechnology is super slow for being the Worlds Greatest Bank, Slow at times between customers, Lack of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice to have actual hands on training than just listening to how it's done.

Great at first, but struggling with Sterling merger

ProsThe company culture is one of empowerment. There is a lot of room for career growth if you are willing to work hard and put in the time. The people are fantastic and great to work with.

ConsWith the Sterling merger, company politics have become prominent. The culture is being diluted as a result of compromise with retained leadership. Pay is not at market for comparable positions and the company is slow to address. Even with large turnover, no adjustments have been made. Lack of leadership in some areas and upper management feels that middle managers are responsible for leading without support.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Umpqua Culture is amazing. Please don't let the politics of the Sterling merger take away from the World's Greatest Bank. Listen to the feedback about executive management. If you get multiple complaints about an executive, there is some truth behind it.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

No longer a community

Universal Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a banking job.

ConsThe Sterling merger is proving to be a horrible match with Umpqua. Done are the days of a community bank, it is all about profit numbers now. Cold calling is being pushed harder then ever and as other reviewers have said it is all about politics in this company. HR is not available for associates, you can only talk to your manager or risk retaliation for trying to go higher. Umpqua was once a good thing but now we are just one of the big banks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad, but NOT "the world's greatest bank"

ProsYou get to be more than just a teller. Great place for people new to banking because the company invests in training its retail employees. This makes even the low-end jobs more interesting and challenging because you will learn more than at other entry-level banking jobs.

ConsThe bank force feeds its "culture" to its employees. It's very cultish, and advancement depends heavily on how well you talk the talk. Chronic under-staffing issues and inadequate pay. Claims to be a community bank, but it's really no different from others.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending so much money on your retail stores and use it to compensate employees.

Hard work not enough pay and politics decides who moves ahead

Universal Associate II (Former Employee)

ProsGood incentives, get to learn everything in banking as entry level employees, fun events

ConsWay too much work put on shoulders of employees with embarrassing pay rate and nonexistent promotions. Politics decides who gets what not how hard you work

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your universal associates more competitive pay. They work extremely hard to be "empowered" to be so universal and they don't even get paid nearly as much as a new accounts person somewhere else. Also HR should be made more readily available to all associates because politics within the bank can make it hard to speak out about unfair practices and inappropriate "professional" relationships.

Easy, Relaxed, No Pressure, No Stress

ProsNo pressure, no stress, no sales pushy. Fun environment to work, balance and work life is great.

ConsCommission isn't great, and gets boring due to same job function everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave promo days, offer better raises, and better commission struture.

Great bank to work for

Universal Associate II (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, great environment, company culture

ConsCan be difficult to create a career path, takes a long time to be promoted

Amazing and fun place to work!

Universal Associate (Former Employee) Newport, OR

ProsUmpqua Bank is a happy, motivational place to work where they believe in the community and empowerment of the employees.
    There are tons of employees perks and fun events to attend.
    Compensation is pretty good and management is very receptive to suggestions.

ConsInitial pay is pretty good but raises are not very much.

Advice to Senior ManagementRewarding people more throughout the work process, like at evaluation times will increase incentive to stay with the company.

Positive Work environment.

Assistant Vice President/Commercial Assistant Relation Manager (Current Employee) Roseville, CA

ProsThe Culture, the people, the customers.

ConsBenefits are below what I would expect for a Bank this size..

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees for their hard work.

Fantastic culture!

Universal Associate III (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat opportunities for growth. Very involved in the community.

ConsVery political upper management.

Worked for Umpqua Bank? Contribute to the Community!