Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe Reviews

2.6
Kevin Downing

1. Promotes from within

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time

Pros

Team driven, provides constant training, rewards those who meet or exceed quotas.

Cons

Upper management promotes us vs them mentality. Lacks direction when most urgently needed.

Advice to Management

When management needs help, provide it!

2. Stay away unless you have no other options

Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford Township, MI
    Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford Township, MI

Pros

It is a company and will hire virtually anyone. They train, maybe? Not much. My store manager was cool and I'm glad he found something better too.

Cons

Promises of great pay, benefits, etc are exaggerated. Pay is low, especially for managers. Corporate entity is constantly paranoid of employees to the point of hiring people to park across the street from locations to make sure no one (including the store manager) is goofing off. Scoldings come if you don't accept customers rebuttal of their extremely overpriced services. I mean, come on. They charge $40 minimum for a basic $15 oil change with crap oil. It's not uncommon for someone with an 85 Escort to be charged $75 to drive out of their for an oil change and new turn signal bulbs. No facial hair allowed. Not sure why they are stuck in the 1950's on this one, but it was creepy. They would sent you home if you had a neatly trimmed beard or any stubble on your face. OR they would make you go in to the bathroom and give you a razor to shave with, then charge you for the razor. No AC in the offices means 100+ temps in the summer. One of my coworkers brought his own fan in to try and cool the place down. No lunches or breaks at all (illegal in my state), even when you work a 10+ hour shift. Too much more to put down here, just stay away. They will entice you with promises of management, but its barely above a ponzi scheme. I worked there for 3 months in 2009, not 2011. People I kept in contact with say its still just as bad; worse. Don't work here, don't shop here. Stay far away.

Advice to Management

Your owner is a jerk to run a company this way. Shame in him, and his house in Florida. Let someone else buy the company and fire everyone at the top. Give better pay and/or working conditions.

3. Oil Lube Tech

Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford, MI

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow in the company; shorter Sunday hours

Cons

Big promises of growth with in the company, but salaries stay low. Corporate spy's on employees with individuals that will park across the street from the location and take memo's of everything the employees do. When it's slow, expect to be sent out to the road to wave at people- a little degrading. Facial hair is not tolerated. Low pay- my store manager made $32k a year with experience and the assistant manager made $9 an hour before benefits. If customers don't want to upgrade to the $99 oil change, that's your fault for not guilting them into it enough.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees a little more and have dedicated sales people, don't have unqualified individuals try to sell and chastise them for not being able to do so.

5. Decent

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff. Plenty of Advancement opportunities. Friendly. Gets to interact with customer on a daily. Builds bonds with customer. Opportunity to grow.

Cons

Pay. They give very small raises when they do give them.

Advice to Management

Great management team. But they do need to treat the employees a bit better.

6. Summer Job in an Oil Shoppe. Low Pay, Convenient Hours.

Former Employee - Grease Monkey in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Grease Monkey in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours were convenient. Willing to train pretty much anyone

Cons

Dirty, Grimy, Low paying job.

7. Tough work without reward

Former Employee - Utility Technician in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Utility Technician in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll gain great sales experience and hone your interpersonal communication skills, as you're in contact with hundreds of customers a week. The company has plenty of management whom have your best interest in mind. There is plenty of room to move up in this company, if you have the desire and shine, they'll train you. Hopefully you have other options available though.

Cons

If I was management, I'd be all for their policies because they eliminate waste/slack/downtime and increase what management gets for their dollar. However, they'll pay you as cheap as they possibly can, unless you complain and complain a lot. They understand that their employees are low skilled and replaceable and therefore you must complain to get a raise. I had a coworker who consistently exceeded sales quotas and only received a modest 25 cent raise. Admittedly, I was no where near as good of a salesmen as him but because (and only because) I was vocal and threatened to quit, I was received a 50 cent raise. This is a job that you can feel proud of, but only for so long as they treat you like the low skilled worker you are. Don't expect to have a lunch that doesn't get interrupted. Don't expect to ever have downtime either, they'll find something for you to do, even if that means taking a toothbrush to the floor.

Advice to Management

For a company whom seems to consider themselves a step above the competition in various aspects (specifically customer service), they don't do ANYTHING to improve the quality of their employees work load. Uncle Ed's has truly revolutionized and perfected the customer service experience in their respective industry, but the same cannot be said for their treatment of employees.

8. Watch out, 6 days a week.

Current Employee - Store Manager in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in West Bloomfield, MI

Pros

Everyone starts at the bottom regardless of what you were hired as. (Store Level)

Cons

Upper Managment will be very upset if you turn down a promotion. Extreme long hrs, there health care is very expensive,

Advice to Management

Understand what a Work vs. Life balance is.

RSS Feed </> Embed