Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe

2.8

Kevin Downing

Promotes from within

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time

Pros

Team driven, provides constant training, rewards those who meet or exceed quotas.

Cons

Upper management promotes us vs them mentality. Lacks direction when most urgently needed.

When management needs help, provide it!

Oil Lube Tech

Former Employee - Oil Tech  in  Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Oil Tech in Waterford, MI

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to grow in the company; shorter Sunday hours

Cons

Big promises of growth with in the company, but salaries stay low. Corporate spy's on employees with individuals that will park across the street from the location and take memo's of everything the employees do. When it's slow, expect to be sent out to the road to wave at people- a little degrading. Facial hair is not tolerated. Low pay- my store manager made $32k a year with experience and the assistant manager made $9 an hour before benefits. If customers don't want to upgrade to the $99 oil change, that's your fault for not guilting them into it enough.

Trust your employees a little more and have dedicated sales people, don't have unqualified individuals try to sell and chastise them for not being able to do so.

Decent

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff. Plenty of Advancement opportunities. Friendly. Gets to interact with customer on a daily. Builds bonds with customer. Opportunity to grow.

Cons

Pay. They give very small raises when they do give them.

Great management team. But they do need to treat the employees a bit better.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Job in an Oil Shoppe. Low Pay, Convenient Hours.

Former Employee - Grease Monkey  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Grease Monkey in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours were convenient. Willing to train pretty much anyone

Cons

Dirty, Grimy, Low paying job.

Tough work without reward

Former Employee - Utility Technician  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Utility Technician in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll gain great sales experience and hone your interpersonal communication skills, as you're in contact with hundreds of customers a week. The company has plenty of management whom have your best interest in mind.

There is plenty of room to move up in this company, if you have the desire and shine, they'll train you. Hopefully you have other options available though.

Cons

If I was management, I'd be all for their policies because they eliminate waste/slack/downtime and increase what management gets for their dollar. However, they'll pay you as cheap as they possibly can, unless you complain and complain a lot.

They understand that their employees are low skilled and replaceable and therefore you must complain to get a raise. I had a coworker who consistently exceeded sales quotas and only received a modest 25 cent raise. Admittedly, I was no where near as good of a salesmen as him but because (and only because) I was vocal and threatened to quit, I was received a 50 cent raise.

This is a job that you can feel proud of, but only for so long as they treat you like the low skilled worker you are. Don't expect to have a lunch that doesn't get interrupted. Don't expect to ever have downtime either, they'll find something for you to do, even if that means taking a toothbrush to the floor.

For a company whom seems to consider themselves a step above the competition in various aspects (specifically customer service), they don't do ANYTHING to improve the quality of their employees work load. Uncle Ed's has truly revolutionized and perfected the customer service experience in their respective industry, but the same cannot be said for their treatment of employees.

Watch out, 6 days a week.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe

Pros

Everyone starts at the bottom regardless of what you were hired as. (Store Level)

Cons

Upper Managment will be very upset if you turn down a promotion. Extreme long hrs, there health care is very expensive,

Understand what a Work vs. Life balance is.

Worked for Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe? Contribute to the Community!