UncommonGoods

3.9

David Bolotsky

Great place to work!

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Upper level management makes a huge effort to make all employees feel like important parts of the team; monthly company-wide lunches to report info, news and updates; intelligent, committed co-workers, great sample sales

Cons

During my time there, a director was sometimes stretched too thin, affecting their ability to effectively manage team members and at times creating a tense environment

Most of the time the management effectively directed team members and made great efforts to be transparent and inclusive and give employees autonomy and ownership of projects

Nice Coworkers, Low Pay, Incompetent Management.

I have been working at UncommonGoods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Brooklyn resident, location is very convenient.
    Most of the people outside of management are good, caring and extremely hardworking.

Cons

Upper management seems clueless about running a successful e-commerce/retail organization.
    Creative vision is sorely lacking. Innovative, out-of-the box ideas are constantly rejected in favor of generic "safe" ideas.
    Poor merchandise strategy. Cheaply made products are constantly being let on the site without being properly vetted.
    No career path for entry and mid-level creative employees.
    Frequent long hours with NO overtime, bonuses or any form of gratitude (a free dinner now and then would be nice!) shown towards the people who are keeping the site running.

Treat your employees with respect. Provide a proper review system so employees get consistent feedback about their work and an understanding of what it takes to grow within the company. Look at what other similar businesses (size/industry/profit range) are paying employees and raise salaries to these standards. The salaries at UncommonGoods are FAR TOO LOW for the work we do. Creative energy and vision is sorely lacking in the marketing/editorial/design teams. Fix that.

Good Job For The Holiday Season

I worked at UncommonGoods as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The base pay was $13.00 P/H, supervisors were usually available to assist with any issues with caller, and the 40% employee discount off all your final purchase was awesome.

Cons

Depending on when you start, the season can be very short. I started in October and was let go in December. You can be let go before the season ends; my last day was on the second full week of December. I was told that employees may be kept on into the new year but that never happened in my case.

The people are great, but management can do better.

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are super great to work with. The company values are nice and I personally feel very strong about them.

Cons

Always felt like there was a lack of communication. Need to concentrate more on their employees and from what I was told, the pay is below industry standards.

Need to listen to their employees more about the work environment and the future of the company.

Overworked, Underpaid, on the bottom of the list of worst jobs I have ever held.

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time

Pros

Casual dress
    Genuine coworkers
    No decent food options within a 15 minute radius
    Beautiful walk under the freeways after the drug dealers on 4th ave.
    Abundant fly strips during hot summer months to catch those friendly bugs!

Cons

Bad location
    zero work life balance
    uncaring, unprofessional managers
    poorly run company

Struggling to be all things to all people and failing at most of it. Senior leadership needs to make a decision to make a profit or make a non-profit. Pie in the sky visions. Teams struggle with 12-13 hour YEAR ROUND days endlessly while upper leadership spends months or longer trying to find the "right fit" in replacement employees. No one is good enough to work there very long. Stop talking about ex-employees to current employees, it only makes us feel like that is going to happen when we leave. There is NO reason corporate needs to stay next to the warehouse, nor is there a reason there cant be satellite office, nor is there a reason not to allow WFH now and then. I would rate this one of the worst places I have ever worked.

Don't work in merchandising

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount, interesting coworkers, fun products, a chance to get a 360 degree view of a business and learn how the customer service/warehouse/marketing/creative happens along with the merchandising.

Cons

For the merchandising team, there is no work life balance and there is almost no chance to move up. The company is strangely sexist, one of the only buyers to ever get promoted from assistant to associate to buyer was a man. I have spoken to former female buyers for this company and they confirmed this problem. Almost all top managerial positions are held by white guys. Since the company explicitly wants to be socially responsible and liberal, this is ironic. Pay is EXTREMELY low, well below competition. When I worked there, managers were abusive and nothing was ever done about it.

To attract the best people, you need to pay them better and actually offer them the opportunity to move up. There is high turnover because there is no reason for anyone to stay because you don't learn anything that can help you in buying someplace else and you get paid $20k less than you would make at another company.

Goodness Is Common

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay, Brooklyn Based Business, Gift Cards Given To Employees, A Lof of American, Manufactured Goods, Public Transportation Accessible

Cons

Although there is a lot of year round staff members, the Job is most likely going to be a Holiday seasonal opportunity.

Ok for seasonal part-time, wouldn't want to work here any longer than that.

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible shifts, solid pay, relaxed environment, friendly staff/co-workers, opportunity to work future seasonal shifts, thorough paid training, lots of bonuses

Cons

unorganized scheduling, some supervisors weren't knowledgeable,

work on the cons

Great company with Great Customer Service

I worked at UncommonGoods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Nice Co-workers, great hourly wage,Cool environment, Great 40% discount, incentives for coming to work on time, Company Lunches, free computer use, community oriented (charity minded) company.

Cons

The worst thing about this job is that it's seasonal. Although you are told from the beginning that the job will not last past the holiday rush, it still stings to know that you will be let go. If you are lucky, you will be kept past the seasonal rush, but there is no guarantee that you will be hired permanently. This means that one fine day, out of the blue, you will be told that your last day is sometime soon. No stability. Some folks come to work for UG season after season and are passed up to join the "elite" team of the year-round workers. The bummer is that you get to see what the year-round benefits look like (the basic stuff that is rare now-healthcare, 401-k, bike credit/benefits. I am serious. There is a bike benefit package or something) but you don't get to have it. Even if you work harder than anyone else it feels like a permanent position is an urban myth. Very frustrating. I don't believe I will ever work another seasonal position again unless I am in between a rock and a SHARP, thorny hard place.

The company is cool and unusual, but this stands in the way of profits. To be competitive, it would be great to give some thought to marketing to average people and literally showing then WHY they need that unique table. Proving or suggesting at least is better then waiting for someone to just randomly bump into the website. ALSO- DAVE-listen up: stop behaving aloofly to the seasonal employees. You are cold. Although you have a personal orientation where you speak to us it still seems rehearsed. Telling people that you don't take a salary is not humble. Let people call you humble-do not seek it.

Very nice and willing to provide guidance.

Former Employee - Packer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Packer in New York, NY

I worked at UncommonGoods as a contractor

Pros

Calm, supportive, fun environment, good training

Cons

Can get a little mundane after awhile