Under Armour

Be The First To
Add Photos

Under Armour Chairman, President, and CEO Kevin A. Plank

Kevin A. Plank

Pros:
  • "The merchandise is good quality, and the employee discount is substantial (50%)"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Great discount for items in store and online"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Those results come at the work/life balance expense of the employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "lack of leadership from upper management"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Brand, but the company needs to grow up.

IT Employee (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Young and vibrant work environment.
- Growing company, good opportunity for advancement
- Great benefits and employee discount

Cons- Constant change in upper management and in company direction.
- Frat boy environment.
- No work/life balance, company grinds you to a pulp and then wonders why people aren't happy.

Former retail associate

Retail Associate (Former Employee)
Riverhead, NY

I worked at Under Armour part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discount on merchandise. 50% off when I last worked there in 2009. Managment was flexible with hours for students and adjusted to schedules accordingly.

ConsNot too many cons to report. Requests from corporate were sometimes inconsistent. Many times when customers would not give email addresses, management would advise putting in fake emails to fill quota.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Fun to learn the brand and wear the clothes.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Estero, FL

I have been working at Under Armour part-time for more than a year

ProsYoung fun environment, good product

ConsUnless made a manager, associate will never make over $9.00

Just okay

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Annapolis, MD

I worked at Under Armour part-time for less than a year

ProsGood clothing, meet nice people, sporty atmosphere for those who love sports

ConsCan be boring, and clothing is really expensive, sometimes felt like I was being walked all over, did not feel appreciated

I Enjoy Going to Work Everyday

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Under Armour part-time for less than a year

ProsGrowth in the business
Work with good people
Good work environment
Set schedule base on availability
Great Managers

Consat this time not many cons other than im still part time no benefits and i would be great to get a increase in pay and with the possibility of becoming a specialist im going to be need to help newer co workers.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what your doing im enjoying what I do everyday. And thank you for allowing me to work for this company when others would not due to my lack of retail experience. You guys saw my potential and i plan on not failing you on that choice.

Fair

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Lancaster, PA

I worked at Under Armour full-time for more than a year

Pros- Taught me proficient coaching and leading skills.
- Provided me with my own company email for internal communication which was very helpful.
- Always something to do, never a dull moment. If it's a slow day, there's always some replenishment to take care of.
- Great employee discount (50%).

Cons- Closing procedures for managers takes at least 2 hours, so you're in the store until 11 pm (when closing)
- If you weren't promoted within the company, might find it very challenging to learn the managerial procedures while also being expected to learn and keep up with product knowledge. (This was just a personal struggle of mine. We're all different so this might not be a difficult challenge if you're able to consume a large amount of information at once).

Advice to Senior Management***HELPFUL TIP***

For new Associate Manager hires, I advise you to arrive to your shifts at least 15-20 minutes early. This position expects you to consistently keep your employees busy for the 8 hours you're on the clock.

So arriving early will give you enough time to see who and how many sales associates are on the schedule today, and it will allow you to make a brief game plan so that you have them occupied for at least the first few hours.

You don't want to begin a shift trying to process all of the day's information that the head manager has provided you with while having 5-7 employees coming to you asking "what should I do" and you not have an assignment already set for them. Believe me, it will stress you out.

Be prepared, professional, and more importantly.. take notes when training! You'll need them. When training is over, you'll be expected to run that store on your own with no problem. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can.

Large Corporate Stereotype

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
San Marcos, TX

I worked at Under Armour full-time for more than a year

ProsLoved the environment on my store and my team. Can't beat wearing work out clothes to work. The employee discount is substantial.

ConsThe corporate office is disconnected from what is happening in the stores. They would harp on us for not meeting sales goals, then cut our payroll. We would tell them we didn't have enough room in our stock room to accept any more shipment, but they would send it anyways

Fun at times, not so much the rest.

I have been working at Under Armour full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits, Employee Discount, Vacation Time

ConsSalary, work life balance, workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees much better. You currently don't.

Awesome Brand. Terrible retail leadership.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Under Armour full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome brand that is exploding. Product is amazing and the company is a marketing machine. Great discounts.

ConsRetail leadership is awful. I was attracted by the brand for the amazing growth potential despite the average salary. The retail division is ran by mostly former employees of failing companies like Eddie Bauer and Aero. The organizational structure is non existent and the tools to run you business consist of a three hole punch binder.

The Managment team is focused only on visual presentation. They talk up sales programs, leadership, and talent development, but do not actually execute any of it. The stores are usually way understaffed despite massive sales gains. The expect store managers to work overnights and process shipments instead of interacting with customers and driving sales initiatives.

Store visits consist of your DM/regional doing a visual walk through and complaining about the condition of the back rooms. The back rooms are crazy small and the send you more shipment then you can even fit year round and then complain that it's not processed. Most visits are 3 hours are less and have no focus on you and your development.

Retail turnover is 40%+. People are attracted by the brand but leave quickly because of the dysfunction. It boils down to having Managment that have no idea what they are doing but pretend they do.

Always hire externally for DMs

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a great brand, but terrible regional directors. Look at who they are hiring, mostly only people from their past that are friends as DMs. Look at the turnover.

World Class company with an AWESOME culture? This brand rocks.

Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Under Armour full-time for more than a year

ProsCan do spirit, wide span of influence, great brand to be a part of

ConsMany priorities, a lot to do? Need to be more choice full

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused and lead us to success.

Worked for Under Armour? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Under Armour reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Under Armour CEO Kevin A. Plank. All 137 reviews posted anonymously by Under Armour employees.