Under Armour

Updated October 31, 2014
3.5

Under Armour Chairman, President, and CEO Kevin A. Plank
Kevin A. Plank

Pros
  • At this point the only pro for working at Under Armour is the employee discount (in 28 reviews)

• Great discount with 50% off all merchandise (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Those results come at the work/life balance expense of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management (in store) wasn't very strict with lazy employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Taking UA From Great to the Best: Leadership Development Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Best discount I have ever had in retail anywhere. Keep this up, it leads to increasingly brand passionate employees.
    -Company has good operational structure but still allows innovation for process improvement at the store level.
    -Focused on hiring from within even through culture changes. This is great for retaining top talent.
    -Top notch benefits.
    -I love how the associate sales training program has developed over the past 5 years and I love the passion that LeeAnn brings to it. It will do amazing things for this company.
    -Work life balance is great-even working 3 weekends out of the month. I mean this for within the context of the retail environment, of course.

Cons

-Your happiness at your store will entirely depend on your location. Each store has its own mini culture.
    -Management training program (SMs, ASMs and AMs) needs more structure and content. I've seen quite a few SMs who struggle with holding their teams accountable and it leads to a lack of necessary TM turnover and lack of congruence within management teams.
    -Management also needs support in giving honest, timely and clear feedback. Thier opp in this leads to a lot of passive-aggressive behavior, diminished teamwork and strained work relationships.
    -Lack of DMs holding holding SMs accountable to having 1 on 1 development conversations.
    -Black Friday keeps eating more and more of Thanksgiving Day every year. Come on, guys! We all know -Thanksgiving is more about family than Christmas now. We are the ones in the trenches executing your plans and ACTUALLY making the money. WE are the ones working the wacky hours and all the weekends. Can we please just have Thanksgiving Day? If not Thanksgiving Day, a guaranteed payback day?

-Find the 10 Steps of Accountability and design your Management Training program around that.
    -Expand off-location management training to include ASMs- They are a crucial operations and development leaders in stores. Stores without strong SMs or ASMs are struggling--let's make sure we set them up for success.
    -Support DMs with routines for holding SMs accountable to having 1 on 1s. Some stores say they are having them...but they are not. Need I list all the ways this is bad for the team?
    -Develop a mentor program. Pair new managers with a seasoned manager in the same level position and determine a routine for touch-base.
    -Athletes are steadily asking for a rewards card. Might consider pros and cons of implementing this sooner than later.

Sr. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Under Armour

Pros

Passionate, driven team. A company you can stand behind

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

A great learning experience with a group who listens too.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Under Armour part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best reasons to work here is good hours, if you work hard, team work atmosphere, and customers are worldwide.

Cons

maintain ADT, UPT status while customer servicing

reach out to every associate not just several.

Amazing culture and work environment, but limited opportunities.

I worked at Under Armour as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, engaging environment with a company culture truly like no other. There are extensive opportunities to learn and collaborate with other teams and departments, and everyone is accessible to answer questions, point you in the right direction on campus or share their insights from their experience. Truly a team!

The work-life balance is what you make it. Most people totally lived on their phones and in their inboxes. Sometimes, when it's all hands on deck, you roll with it. But it doesn't have to be that way, so that's a plus.

Cons

I guess as with any company, there are politics to deal with. I personally felt they were so stifling that I would never have the chance to move up in my particular department.

Do what's best for the team by putting the right people in the right positions, regardless of tenure or reputation.

Great place to work that fosters a culture of growth, passion and innovation.

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great sports environment for you sports enthusiast. Although it seems that the average salary are below market, the benefits and perks can sometimes mitgate all that. You never run out of cool things to say about your job.

Cons

Below market salaries for currnet employee don't compare to new hires.

good

I have been working at Under Armour

Pros

has a Great discount and environment

Cons

its just above minimum wage

Brand Ambassador

Current Employee - Brand Amabassador in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Brand Amabassador in Houston, TX

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the people I work with

Cons

The mundane retail job routine

You are doing well.

Phenomenal work environment

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people, great benefits, office culture

Cons

work-life balance, compensation for amount of hours put into job not equal to others in area

Horrible Store Management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Under Armour part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-50% discount on merchandise
    -$9 per hour

Cons

-Schedule
    -Force you to sell to customers
    -Overbearing

The management at this store had no clue when it came to scheduling. Forced more time on you than you wanted. Did not put the schedule it with much notice. Would take you off the schedule one week and screw you over the next with too much work. Store management was not good at training their employees. Countless times I asked to learn more about products and how things were done only to be shunned away. Was never fully trained to do anything but put clothes on a rack. This was an awful experience that I wish I would not have taken.

As an associate, the only benefit is the large discount, but as a manager it is great

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large discount, health insurance, life insurance, dental, vision, stock options, etc.

Cons

They have a history in our store of firing managers.

Give advice instead of just firing people.