Under Armour

Updated November 19, 2014
3.3

Under Armour Chairman, President, and CEO Kevin A. Plank
Kevin A. Plank

Pros
  • At this point the only pro for working at Under Armour is the employee discount (in 28 reviews)

• Great discount with 50% off all merchandise (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Those results come at the work/life balance expense of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management (in store) wasn't very strict with lazy employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for with great product

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gaffney, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Gaffney, SC

I have been working at Under Armour part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Product, people, hours, availability, room for growth

Cons

Low pay, WIERD hours, dealing with people

Pay more to employees share the wealth'

sale associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Under Armour part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, team work, good discount and company benefits for full time employees

Cons

unorganized, micro management, little applicable growth, not a lasting career for most, low pay scale in relation to others

establish a system

Great Company!

Former Employee - Unit Velocity Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Unit Velocity Specialist in El Paso, TX

I worked at Under Armour part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-great incentives
    -awesome environment
    -work/life balance is great
    -uniform rocks
    -amazing discount

Cons

I enjoyed every aspect of working at Under Armour!

Keep doing what you're doing! Promotion from within and associate incentives are amazing!

Awesome founder-driven company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Under Armour

Pros

Passionate and motivated teammates working for a common purpose - incredible company culture. Vibrant atmosphere. Makes for a cool day when you go from designing a product to working out in the gym with a UA sponsored athlete!

Cons

Extremely poor college recruiting process. Fantastic summer internship program but no follow-up afterwards in regards to full-time offers even though interns were told that they would be contacted.

My biggest piece of advice is for management to get on bored with the college recruiting process - if you can't plan to hire new grads months before their graduation, you'll miss out on a lot of great teammates who want to make a difference at your company.

Taking UA From Great to the Best: Leadership Development Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Under Armour full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Best discount I have ever had in retail anywhere. Keep this up, it leads to increasingly brand passionate employees.
    -Company has good operational structure but still allows innovation for process improvement at the store level.
    -Focused on hiring from within even through culture changes. This is great for retaining top talent.
    -Top notch benefits.
    -I love how the associate sales training program has developed over the past 5 years and I love the passion that LeeAnn brings to it. It will do amazing things for this company.
    -Work life balance is great-even working 3 weekends out of the month. I mean this for within the context of the retail environment, of course.

Cons

-Your happiness at your store will entirely depend on your location. Each store has its own mini culture.
    -Management training program (SMs, ASMs and AMs) needs more structure and content. I've seen quite a few SMs who struggle with holding their teams accountable and it leads to a lack of necessary TM turnover and lack of congruence within management teams.
    -Management also needs support in giving honest, timely and clear feedback. Thier opp in this leads to a lot of passive-aggressive behavior, diminished teamwork and strained work relationships.
    -Lack of DMs holding holding SMs accountable to having 1 on 1 development conversations.
    -Black Friday keeps eating more and more of Thanksgiving Day every year. Come on, guys! We all know -Thanksgiving is more about family than Christmas now. We are the ones in the trenches executing your plans and ACTUALLY making the money. WE are the ones working the wacky hours and all the weekends. Can we please just have Thanksgiving Day? If not Thanksgiving Day, a guaranteed payback day?

-Find the 10 Steps of Accountability and design your Management Training program around that.
    -Expand off-location management training to include ASMs- They are a crucial operations and development leaders in stores. Stores without strong SMs or ASMs are struggling--let's make sure we set them up for success.
    -Support DMs with routines for holding SMs accountable to having 1 on 1s. Some stores say they are having them...but they are not. Need I list all the ways this is bad for the team?
    -Develop a mentor program. Pair new managers with a seasoned manager in the same level position and determine a routine for touch-base.
    -Athletes are steadily asking for a rewards card. Might consider pros and cons of implementing this sooner than later.

Sr. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Under Armour

Pros

Passionate, driven team. A company you can stand behind

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

An okay company

Former Employee - Planner in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Planner in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Under Armour full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance and the benefits are decent. Company is ethically responsible and cares about the brand and brand protection. Good training on on-boarding process. Decent business systems. Great for first-timers; but for those who come with experience it is a difficult experience. Brand is growing daily and has staying power.

Cons

Corporate structure works like a silo. Communication within company is inefficient and often people are scared to speak their minds openly. A lot of people pleasing happening. Office culture is very youthful. Maybe even a little too youthful. Feels like a giant frat house sometimes.

Room for improvement....

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Under Armour part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, Brand growth, and Discount lol

Cons

Pay sucks and you are very unappreciated. No growth opportunity internally. Management has no clue what they are doing 50 percent of the time.

GET BETTER

Crazy town, but with brand passion!

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Under Armour as a contractor

Pros

The passion and energy for the brand is unlike anything I have experienced anywhere else. The product is great and easy to believe in. The company hosts tons of fun events for their employees and a great discount on apparel.

Cons

There are so many departments and often times efforts are duplicated. Decisions are not easily made as there are layers upon layers of approvals to go through. The average work week is 55-60 hours. It's intense, they expect a lot from you, but you will work with dedicated, talented people who are very passionate about the brand.

It's a fun atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rehoboth Beach, DE

I have been working at Under Armour part-time (less than an year)

Pros

50% off
    Fun place to work ever laid back managers

Cons

Too!!! much work for nearly no pay
    They only really help you by giving your 50% off to put back in company

Look out for the people helping your company grew