Underground Elephant

Updated August 14, 2014
4.2

Underground Elephant Chief Executive Officer Jason Kulpa
Jason Kulpa

Professional growth through responsibility and inspiration; Team building through culture and common purpose

Current Employee - Director of Public Affairs  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Public Affairs in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

Pros

Underground Elephant is an exciting, fast-moving company.
    With over 60 employees, it could easily start to have an overly corporate feel--but it doesn't.
    Company reinforces sustained startup culture (but has more resources to do good in the community).
    Company-wide efforts and events are truly all-hands-on-deck in nature, instilling an authentic sense of teamwork.
    The millennial workforce is engaging and bright. They could work anywhere, and they are here--and happy to be.
    Company invests in employees wellbeing and professional development, while carving out time for fun too.
    Unlimited personal time off when sufficient notice is given and right not abused.
    The leadership outstanding, and getting better by the day.

Cons

As a fast-moving, innovative company, employees need to be adaptable and willing to pivot with the company. This can be a source of stress for some. Personally, I like it.

Continue to invest in an ever-improving culture as you are already doing. You employees and the local community appreciate it. Also, continue to take the time to invest in your own development as leaders, since it benefits your respective departments.

Elephant in the Room

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

Underground Elephant is a place grounded on creativity and dedication, fostering an atmosphere where employees ideas and strategies can come to life. This isn't your average "my way or the highway" company. The management supports constant development and improvement while allowing employees to manage their own time and projects. The employees work extremely hard, but are rewarded with excellent perks. Pool table, pinp pong, coffee/redbull, music, events, happy hours....just to name a few.
    After reading some of the reviews, something to note is that the environment isn't necessarily "changing" all the time. If the company finds a strategy or way of production that increases profits or positively influences the company culture, there's no rush to change. It's more about advancing. The focus is instead: How can we do this better? Not always different, but BETTER.
    Our CEO has said that he wants this to be our last place of employment. LAST! Meaning only leaving the company for retirement or to start our own businesses. Management is investing their confidence in us and wants to see us succeed. With that being said, who wouldn't want to work for this company?

Cons

Stop complaining about parking people. Free parking is a nice fifteen minute walk away. My only complaint at this point is that I LOVE our office space and we are moving locations. But rumor has it that it's going to be even more excellent.

Advice? Keep up the good work and keep providing feedback to employees. We appreciate your opinions and tips on improvement.

Shorter release cycles and greater transparency show dedication to culture

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

Pros

The tech environment is structured to support constant wins, and continuous releases. We are positioned into three person teams, and sprint for an average of only two to three weeks. This gives me and other the satisfaction of seeing results quicker than longer development cycles in the past. Company wide demonstrations also provide a way for us to get feedback from the team, and take credit for wins.

Cons

There are long days, and times when projects creep into weekends, but that is par for the course.

Management of the development team has made significant changes in the last couple of months, and created a much better work environment than int he past. Keep up the change, and don't go back to longer cycles where it seemed projects never seemed to end.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away, complete waste of time and energy

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

Pros

the girls hired are attractive

Cons

Pay is around the ppverty level
    culture is total "smoke and mirrors"
    "Best Place to Work" is comical
    Developers are undervalued and unappreciated
    unorganized
    management is the worst I've ever experienced
    asks employees to pay to park downtown
    If you are not a member of the top 10%, you will be used and let go as soon as possible
    Jason Kulpa has several personality disorders

Communicate and actually manage your employees
    Appreciate the hard work and dedication put in

Don't be fooled.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

Pros

- There are/were some very talented folks working at the company.
    - Unlimited PTO

Cons

- Highly volatile environment. Major waves of layoffs annually.
    - Lack of transparency from leadership regarding financial health of the company.
    - No clear vision for company from leadership team.
    - Leadership pits employees against against each other behind their backs.
    - Inappropriate actions/comments by members of leadership team on regular basis.

Take your employees livelihood more seriously.

Horrible Management, Fosters Competition Amongst Employees, Huge Layoffs

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers. Events are hosted fairly often. They have a pool table. Wellness program.

Cons

UE gets all of the unimportant things right, and the important things horribly wrong. Their image is fantastic. They know how to attract new talent. But can you commit to this company? Absolutely not.

First of all, the CEO is highly unpredictable and is frequently rude and unprofessional. Upper management is disconnected from the rest of the company; employees are subjected to a fake "positive culture" while living day to day with absolutely no sense of job security. UE regularly lays off 15+ employees at a time without notice.

The management believes that fostering competition between employees is a good way to run the company. As a result, many employees become aggressive and are happy to throw one another under a bus to please their bosses. There is no real sense of community or teamwork at UE, despite the constant barrage of "positive startup culture" media that they publish to impress potential hires.

Learn to love your employees. Take care of them, foster teamwork and not competition, and don't randomly lay off huge amounts of people at once. They'll work harder in return.

Terrible managment, culture is fake

I worked at Underground Elephant

Pros

Cool products, cool people, cool events, profitable.

Cons

There are more cons than parking.

This place does have its perks as you can see from many positive reviews but they come at a VERY high cost. The first thing I realized when starting there was that the CEO would be happy one day then unprofessionally angry or publicly making inappropriate (sometimes demeaning) comments the next day. After working there for awhile I also realized that the turnover was insanely high. I saw many people leave or get fired on a whim. Vert skilled people that other companies were fighting to get. People who have been in various industries for years who this company seems to think they can treat like expendable, unskilled, inexperienced high school grads.

I also agree with one of the other commenters who pointed out the strangeness in the fact that UE will treat employees as if they're doing awesome one day then fire them the next.

My final point is that I believe that it is in the senior management's interest to foster an environment of internal competitiveness to somehow benefit them more or to somehow make people more productive than they already are. This may work for the people more engaged in sales but it's amazing how they don't realize that internal competitiveness tears a company apart from the inside out. I saw this day in and day out and it was a major part of why I left. Productivity has nothing to do with competitiveness and many companies understand this. UE unfortunately does not and I'd be surprised if they ever caught on to what really makes people more productive.

Am I glad I worked there? Somewhat. I did learn a ton. Would I recommend this company to someone looking for work? No.

Stop power tripping and boost morale.

Treat your skilled employees with the respect they deserve. Many of them are much more skilled than you.

Live the culture that you're publishing to the public. It's fake when people read about buzz words like "good work/life balance" when you have nothing close.

Have you....Herd?

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hiring process was quick and easy and HR has it together!
    Busy, Fast Paced, Engaging and Entertaining!
    Great Manager, Awesome EVP!
    CEO takes a personal interest in your success. That is a quality rarely seen among CEO's

Cons

Lack of close, affordable parking. (Seriously this is all I have and it may be solved in the future) This place rocks!

Keep it going!!

If only they practiced what they portray.

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

They're doing innovative work here and making a lot of money.

Cons

No one knows what's going on. Things are disorganized and communication is very poor. I have to agree with all the other negative reviews on the site. It's unfortunate they don't know how to treat people because there's a lot of opportunity here for greatness.

You can hire people on a whim and fire them when you change your mind, but it's an awful way to conduct business and live your life. It's clear that management care about having an image of positive culture more than actually having the positive culture.

It's been a great introduction to the real world!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a recent college graduate and new resident of San Diego, I can't imagine starting anywhere else. It doesn't matter how high up you are here, everyone treats you equally and wants you to succeed. I didn't think I'd be so satisfied with my first job out of college but I can honestly see myself here for a long time. UE has so many goals and is always looking for ways to make our company even better. It really is everything I've been looking for and can't wait to see what's to come in the future.

Cons

You have to be on top of your game at all times! No time for laziness here. (not really a bad thing...)

Worked for Underground Elephant? Contribute to the Community!