Underground Elephant

Updated Mar 12, 2014

Underground Elephant Chief Executive Officer Jason Kulpa

Jason Kulpa

Have you....Herd?

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

ProsThe hiring process was quick and easy and HR has it together!
Busy, Fast Paced, Engaging and Entertaining!
Great Manager, Awesome EVP!
CEO takes a personal interest in your success. That is a quality rarely seen among CEO's

ConsLack of close, affordable parking. (Seriously this is all I have and it may be solved in the future) This place rocks!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going!!

If only they practiced what they portray.

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time

ProsThey're doing innovative work here and making a lot of money.

ConsNo one knows what's going on. Things are disorganized and communication is very poor. I have to agree with all the other negative reviews on the site. It's unfortunate they don't know how to treat people because there's a lot of opportunity here for greatness.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can hire people on a whim and fire them when you change your mind, but it's an awful way to conduct business and live your life. It's clear that management care about having an image of positive culture more than actually having the positive culture.

Great Colleagues and Opportunities

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

ProsOne of the many great things about UE is the access to Jason and the rest of senior management. Ideas and comments are encouraged and credit is given. Based on announcements during the weekly company meetings, many of our recent successes were based on initiatives proposed by coworkers throughout the org.

I also appreciate the opportunity to learn from industry-leading colleagues. People go out of their way to assist with professional development.

ConsI could see the pace being a little fast for some.

It's been a great introduction to the real world!

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

ProsAs a recent college graduate and new resident of San Diego, I can't imagine starting anywhere else. It doesn't matter how high up you are here, everyone treats you equally and wants you to succeed. I didn't think I'd be so satisfied with my first job out of college but I can honestly see myself here for a long time. UE has so many goals and is always looking for ways to make our company even better. It really is everything I've been looking for and can't wait to see what's to come in the future.

ConsYou have to be on top of your game at all times! No time for laziness here. (not really a bad thing...)

Up or Out!

Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe place is an idea factory, and not afraid to take big chances when it comes to marketing ideas or product launches. I have not had time to get bored, and missing a day is like being gone a month. My team pushes me to be better every day.

ConsThey operate under a practice of "up or out", meaning that employees must either advance within a pre-defined timeframe or get cut. 25% of the organization is new every year. Some only last a few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more time to get settled, and make an impact. Be more clear with direction, and spend adequate time coaching.

No strategy, Lays Off People on a Whim, Volatile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for less than a year

ProsFun corporate culture, good health insurance

ConsUE will lay people off without more than a day's thought, there is no strategy or long-term planning. While I was there, one of the most talented people I worked with was promoted one day, and the very next day laid off. How does that make any sense?? I myself was moved to a different manager only a few days before I was laid off and an account manager was moved to a different product just a few days before she was laid off. They obviously just occasionally randomly decide to lay off several people on a whim without any prior thought. In addition, it is a very volatile company to work for, with the CEO osculating between being friendly to the point of being highly inappropriate, to be morose and even cruel to employees. If you value your sanity, stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Luck.

Always Changing

Web Developer (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company seemed to always be moving on to a new project, which kept me from being bored. I liked my team, and the office. The benefits were good, and they were flexible with time off.

ConsThe work load can be a grind, and I worked long hours on projects. The management was relentless and always added more to my plate. I never seemed to catch my breathe.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should decide on a direction and stick with it. They should also explain more why they make the decisions they do.

Speed of Light Movement

Web Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Underground Elephant

ProsEverything moved so fast that is was difficult to be bored. My manager was clear with what my targets were so that was cool. I am going to miss my friends and all the crazy fun times.

ConsSometimes the music and commotion can be distracting, but never a dull moment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think a full time HR department would be helpful.

Smoke and Mirrors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Underground Elephant

ProsGreat learning experience for people straight out of college and/or interns. Talented and Amazing coworkers. I learned a great deal from all of them.

ConsExtremely high employee turnover rate. Long hours, very low compensation. Not as great as an environment as he portrays it to be. You have to pay for expensive downtown parking on top of not getting paid very much. Don't work here if you are looking for a long-term/healthy business relationship and if you want a life outside of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less money on the superficial things (like "CEO of the year award" and expensive artwork) and pay more to your talented employees.

(Under)Ground Breaking Career Opportunity

Senior Affiliate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Underground Elephant

ProsThere are many reasons to work at Underground Elephant. Be it the cutting edge market, equal level of opportunity, and amazing benefits. We work downtown right next to the ballpark so our "backyard" is about all you could ask for from any employer.

ConsThe only real problem that occurs is parking downtown during padres games which is a fairly minimal drawback.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would ask our management team to keep being innovative and to keep asking for our opinions. Your voice really does matter at Underground Elephant. We are allowed to work within set structures to be creative and see unparalleled success.

Worked for Underground Elephant? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Underground Elephant reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Underground Elephant CEO Jason Kulpa. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Underground Elephant employees.