Underground Elephant Reviews

Reset
3.5
Underground Elephant Chief Executive Officer Jason Kulpa
Jason Kulpa

Pros
  • Pool table, pinp pong, coffee/redbull, music, events, happy hours (in 5 reviews)

• I have never before experienced a work environment where people can have so much fun and accomplish so much (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Free parking is a nice fifteen minute walk away (in 3 reviews)

• As a result, many employees become aggressive and are happy to throw one another under a bus to please their bosses (in 2 reviews)

Innovative, Collaborative, Exciting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho San Diego, CA

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the open office culture, energy of employees, adaptability to change. Everyone has a chance to evolve personally and contribute to evolution of the company. I always feel like my ideas are listened to and love the changing culture.

Cons

Company has had fast growth, which causes some growing pains however the company has made an investment in new and existing employees to support the growth and overall think that the growth is exciting. This is not a place to be if you don't like change.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the more frequent updates from management and transparent communication with the employees, keep it up!

Great overall culture, and good benefits for a start-up

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

The people who work at the company are great. A lot of friendships and positive working relationships are made here, and it's one of the few companies I've worked for where I can say I actually ENJOY going to social events. This company is a great springboard for young professionals new to their careers. With the right motivation and work ethic, anyone has the opportunity here to gain experience and progress with the company. I left a corporate environment with great perks, but where I was never really happy with the culture. Because of that, I have an appreciation for this company, where I feel I can be myself and have license to take on more responsibility. Not to mention, there is a seemingly endless supply of free food (breakfast bar is awesome!), and I've never been to another company where it's not only acceptable, but normal to share a beer with your coworkers at a company meeting.

Cons

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have as many social activities and perks as we used to, but I guess we have to keep in mind that it is still a start-up, and there has to be some give and take. I would rather lose a few perks and have more of that company capital available to keep good people on staff. There are a lot of complaints here about the high rate of turnover, but this is normal in a start-up environment. Even large, established companies do massive lay-offs (way more than 2-3 people a month). The cost of parking may be a challenge, but I think the downtown location more than makes up for it.

Advice to Management

Try to establish a bit more consistency in policies and processes. I know this is difficult in an environment where changes happen quickly and growth is so rapid, but it would help build more trust with employees.

Aug 6, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you so much for your feedback. We believe having a great company culture is very important, and we're happy to hear that you enjoy being a part of it. As a fast-growing start-up, there can be ... More

Best place to work in San Diego

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Underground Elephant is not only the best place for millennials to start their career but it is also a breading ground for entrepreneur. The CEO personally cares about every employee and their career path. He is constantly is pushing you to think smarter and to your grow career faster. The executives in the office are always willing to go the extra mile for their employees by promoting within the office and making sure that they are fully equipped with all that they need to perform their job well. The culture is amazing! I love that the executives and the people operations team are always thinking of new ways to bring people together, they host awesome events that help employees not only have fun but learn to work together. Events like the annual scavenger hunt, offsite coaching with Paul Vaden and monthly company happy hours are a few of my favorites.

Cons

The office is a little cramped but the word is our new office should be opening soon!!

Advice to Management

Continue to mentor people when possible.

Aug 6, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

We definitely think that UE is the best place to work, and we are so glad you agree! We appreciate your feedback regarding the company and your experience with the culture. At UE, we believe that ... More

Don't Get Fooled

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time

Pros

1. Pool table / shuffle board / weekly donuts / occasional luncheons and company-wide activities 2. "Fun environment" (but not actually when you compare to other startups).

Cons

1. Management is unstable - you'll be tossed from manager to manager, then you'll have to constantly prove your worth because upper mgt has zero clue what's happening beneath them. 2. No opportunities for growth. 3. Does not pay well, at all. They're hesitant about giving people raises but won't hold back on giving out more responsibilities. 4. "Fast pace environment" is not always good. At UE it means CEO randomly decides on one thing then the entire company has to bench over backwards to make it happen. (Most times it's not even in company's best interest) 5. Work is mundane. 6. High turnover rate. 7. Takes advantage of young, fresh out of college adults. Anyone with real experience can see right through this. 8. Always coming up with ideas on how to improve culture but doesn't actually happen.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees - pay them fair salaries.

Fun, Hectic, Collaborative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn a lot here. Overall, a solid work experience. Cool events every now and then, and good benefits. Work is appropriately challenging and there are a lot of incredibly smart people here.

Cons

You may/may not get guilted for not working enough, even when you work 6 days/week and 9 hours+/day, but that's an industry wide thing, so if you can't deal w/ that, do something else. Some managers are better than other with this.

Advice to Management

Listen to people you might not normally listen to every once in a while. Just because they aren't at your pay grade doesn't mean their ideas aren't valuable.

bad management team, extremely high turnover

I have been working at Underground Elephant (Less than a year)

Pros

location, the only Pro is that the company is located in San Diego

Cons

Bad management: the management team is very unorganized in general, the company spent too much money on its culture, PR but the fact is that this company needs to spend more money on hiring hard-working, smart people or give their employee free parking High turnover rate: this company has extremely high turnover rate, this problem is very serious, don't expect people make too much contribution when they only stay with company for a few months. The whole office setting is very unorganized and is changing all the time. 401K match is awful, parking is awful

good place to work for young people

Pros

if you are young and want to have fun at your work place, this is for you. Company full of young people.

Cons

unorganized, parking is a big problem

Great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Underground Elephant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is the chance to move upward quickly. People are promoted from within, and there is plenty of opportunity. I used to work at a place where it was difficult to get recognized, and the only attention was negative.

Cons

The company could have been more transparent last year while going through personnel changes. While I get it there are privacy issues around people's employment, some detail would have been helpful. The company morale actually improved after some of the old people left, but I miss some of the relationships.

Advice to Management

I would like to see adjustments in the time off policy, and greater matching on the 401k.

A digital marketing startup that is team oriented, culture centric, community focused, and wildly innovative.

Pros

I would have to say that the best part about working here is my coworkers, by far. I've never worked at a company full of people my own age, from so many different background and interests, that are so fully committed to driving the company's performance and participating in its culture. This is true across all of UE's business units, from sales to software development, from business development to marketing. This is the foundation of the company and its hip, fun atmosphere. Things move quick, we work hard, and our business innovates. It's great. Like most startups these days, there are a lot of cool tangible perks (stock option bonus plan, unlimited paid time off, free caffeine, awesome parties, guest speakers, sports tickets, Mariachi bands, a cash machine, and the list goes on..). However, for me, the best perks are the less tangible things that come from our traditions, such as the weekly all-hands-on-deck meetings, lunches where the CEO helps cook and hand out the meals, regularly scheduled offsite lunches with the executives, potlucks, and random funny pranks that happen within close-knit teams.

Cons

It's a startup. We are all ambitious, so we work hard; sometimes too hard. That is precisely why the company's leadership makes sure to balance employee ambition and commitment with fun and flexibility. I certainly went through a bit of a burnout stage about 3 months in, but found my stride and certainly got plenty of support and autonomy from the team along the way. Obviously morning coffees and end-of-day happy hours helped too--beer for big ideas, coffee for getting them done.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Sometimes UE gets complaints that its culture isn't consistent. I would agree, it is continually evolving and improving; just like innovation in technology, we should challenge the business-as-usual approach to company culture, community engagement, and employee motivation. I am so glad that I work at a company that strives to continually improve its products, its services, AND its culture.

Jun 25, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

We appreciate your positive feedback! We understand that the team works very hard here at Underground Elephant, and we like to reward that hard work with perks such as massages and social activities ... More

Worst place to work in San Diego

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Underground Elephant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some cool people, learning what NOT to do, basically it

Cons

horrible management, like super bad leadership, quick to hire and quick to hire, high turnover, lies on lies, RUN!!

Advice to Management

Get trained on how to lead

RSS Feed </> Embed