Underground Elephant

Underground Elephant Chief Executive Officer Jason Kulpa

Jason Kulpa

Have you....Herd?

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe hiring process was quick and easy and HR has it together!
    Busy, Fast Paced, Engaging and Entertaining!
    Great Manager, Awesome EVP!
    CEO takes a personal interest in your success. That is a quality rarely seen among CEO's

ConsLack of close, affordable parking. (Seriously this is all I have and it may be solved in the future) This place rocks!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going!!

Don't be fooled.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- There are/were some very talented folks working at the company.
    - Unlimited PTO

Cons- Highly volatile environment. Major waves of layoffs annually.
    - Lack of transparency from leadership regarding financial health of the company.
    - No clear vision for company from leadership team.
    - Leadership pits employees against against each other behind their backs.
    - Inappropriate actions/comments by members of leadership team on regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your employees livelihood more seriously.

Horrible Management, Fosters Competition Amongst Employees, Huge Layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice coworkers. Events are hosted fairly often. They have a pool table. Wellness program.

ConsUE gets all of the unimportant things right, and the important things horribly wrong. Their image is fantastic. They know how to attract new talent. But can you commit to this company? Absolutely not.

First of all, the CEO is highly unpredictable and is frequently rude and unprofessional. Upper management is disconnected from the rest of the company; employees are subjected to a fake "positive culture" while living day to day with absolutely no sense of job security. UE regularly lays off 15+ employees at a time without notice.

The management believes that fostering competition between employees is a good way to run the company. As a result, many employees become aggressive and are happy to throw one another under a bus to please their bosses. There is no real sense of community or teamwork at UE, despite the constant barrage of "positive startup culture" media that they publish to impress potential hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to love your employees. Take care of them, foster teamwork and not competition, and don't randomly lay off huge amounts of people at once. They'll work harder in return.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible managment, culture is fake

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool products, cool people, cool events, profitable.

ConsThere are more cons than parking.

This place does have its perks as you can see from many positive reviews but they come at a VERY high cost. The first thing I realized when starting there was that the CEO would be happy one day then unprofessionally angry or publicly making inappropriate (sometimes demeaning) comments the next day. After working there for awhile I also realized that the turnover was insanely high. I saw many people leave or get fired on a whim. Vert skilled people that other companies were fighting to get. People who have been in various industries for years who this company seems to think they can treat like expendable, unskilled, inexperienced high school grads.

I also agree with one of the other commenters who pointed out the strangeness in the fact that UE will treat employees as if they're doing awesome one day then fire them the next.

My final point is that I believe that it is in the senior management's interest to foster an environment of internal competitiveness to somehow benefit them more or to somehow make people more productive than they already are. This may work for the people more engaged in sales but it's amazing how they don't realize that internal competitiveness tears a company apart from the inside out. I saw this day in and day out and it was a major part of why I left. Productivity has nothing to do with competitiveness and many companies understand this. UE unfortunately does not and I'd be surprised if they ever caught on to what really makes people more productive.

Am I glad I worked there? Somewhat. I did learn a ton. Would I recommend this company to someone looking for work? No.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop power tripping and boost morale.

Treat your skilled employees with the respect they deserve. Many of them are much more skilled than you.

Live the culture that you're publishing to the public. It's fake when people read about buzz words like "good work/life balance" when you have nothing close.

If only they practiced what they portray.

ProsThey're doing innovative work here and making a lot of money.

ConsNo one knows what's going on. Things are disorganized and communication is very poor. I have to agree with all the other negative reviews on the site. It's unfortunate they don't know how to treat people because there's a lot of opportunity here for greatness.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can hire people on a whim and fire them when you change your mind, but it's an awful way to conduct business and live your life. It's clear that management care about having an image of positive culture more than actually having the positive culture.

Great Colleagues and Opportunities

ProsOne of the many great things about UE is the access to Jason and the rest of senior management. Ideas and comments are encouraged and credit is given. Based on announcements during the weekly company meetings, many of our recent successes were based on initiatives proposed by coworkers throughout the org.

I also appreciate the opportunity to learn from industry-leading colleagues. People go out of their way to assist with professional development.

ConsI could see the pace being a little fast for some.

It's been a great introduction to the real world!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAs a recent college graduate and new resident of San Diego, I can't imagine starting anywhere else. It doesn't matter how high up you are here, everyone treats you equally and wants you to succeed. I didn't think I'd be so satisfied with my first job out of college but I can honestly see myself here for a long time. UE has so many goals and is always looking for ways to make our company even better. It really is everything I've been looking for and can't wait to see what's to come in the future.

ConsYou have to be on top of your game at all times! No time for laziness here. (not really a bad thing...)

Up or Out!

Web Developer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe place is an idea factory, and not afraid to take big chances when it comes to marketing ideas or product launches. I have not had time to get bored, and missing a day is like being gone a month. My team pushes me to be better every day.

ConsThey operate under a practice of "up or out", meaning that employees must either advance within a pre-defined timeframe or get cut. 25% of the organization is new every year. Some only last a few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more time to get settled, and make an impact. Be more clear with direction, and spend adequate time coaching.

No strategy, Lays Off People on a Whim, Volatile

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFun corporate culture, good health insurance

ConsUE will lay people off without more than a day's thought, there is no strategy or long-term planning. While I was there, one of the most talented people I worked with was promoted one day, and the very next day laid off. How does that make any sense?? I myself was moved to a different manager only a few days before I was laid off and an account manager was moved to a different product just a few days before she was laid off. They obviously just occasionally randomly decide to lay off several people on a whim without any prior thought. In addition, it is a very volatile company to work for, with the CEO osculating between being friendly to the point of being highly inappropriate, to be morose and even cruel to employees. If you value your sanity, stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Luck.

Always Changing

Web Developer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe company seemed to always be moving on to a new project, which kept me from being bored. I liked my team, and the office. The benefits were good, and they were flexible with time off.

ConsThe work load can be a grind, and I worked long hours on projects. The management was relentless and always added more to my plate. I never seemed to catch my breathe.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should decide on a direction and stick with it. They should also explain more why they make the decisions they do.

Worked for Underground Elephant? Contribute to the Community!