Underwriters Laboratories

Updated August 1, 2014
3.1

Underwriters Laboratories President and CEO Keith E. Williams
Keith E. Williams

Pros
  • Additionally this company allows for a great work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• The staff at UL are dedicated to the company mission of public safety and are great to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management seems to not understand the core process (although this is getting better now) (in 10 reviews)

• Not a lot of career advancement opportunities (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An excellent learning experience.

Former Employee - Associate Project Engineer in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Project Engineer in Melville, NY

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a company of PEOPLE. The work to life balance is incredible. The work is not stressful and it can be fulfilling. There is a ton of training classes internally to take. If you do not like where you are in the company, you can transfer to a different department. This is a global company, so if you would like to relocate there is a possibility.

Even as this company has become for profit, their values and morals for creating a safer world have not slipped. This is a company of values and morals, and it's ingrained in them.

Cons

Personal growth is stagnant. Your career is set out as soon as you join. (This is not necessarily a bad thing, it really depends what type of person you are) Any career jumps faster than expected will not come within 8-10yrs of employment here(and usually involves changing departments). Salary is not very competitive with the engineering field as a whole. The job is not complicated, this means anyone can do it. There are a multitude of engineering roles filled by non engineers, we just call them "project handlers"

This company is a little confused as to what they would like to become. BUT there is one thing for sure, this CEO wants to make the world a better place.

Create a competitive environment where people feel they can work hard and be compensated for it. This company is no longer a not-for-profit. Yet the mentalities have stayed. All of that aside. The managers care about their workers. (This is not all of them, but a great majority).

If you're lucky enough to work under Jerry M tell him I said hi!! =D

A wonderful place to work.

Former Employee - Associate Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Project Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The job has flexible hours and you work with a lot of great people. The office is nice and the location is good.

Cons

A lot of the management lacks management skills and our corporate office does not communicate important information in a timely manner.

Listen more

Senior Project Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Melville, NY

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staff is professional, friendly and great people to work with. Home and work balance has been good with flex hours but recently management wants more and more and giving less and less.

Cons

Upper management is making decisions based on profit. Changed to a for profit culture which held back raises for 3 years.

Its not all about the money.

No raises because there's no money....and there won't be for a long time because no one in management knows how to lead.

Former Employee - Project Handler in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Project Handler in Melville, NY

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Peers are nice for the most part. They really tolerate a great deal of unacceptable behavior at all levels so if you can ignore bizarre / bipolar behavior you will be ok. Just be a "yes" man or woman and you will do fine.

Cons

This company is 120 years old and they were not for profit for 115 years. They are not equipped to handle functioning in a for-profit environment. A bunch of lazy, slackers with a tremendous sense of entitlement abound here. It can be quite a toxic environment and will really get to you if you let it.

CLEAN HOUSE!!!! Stop promoting people based on relationships. Have managers that are leaders NOT micro-managers. Get with the times by promoting women, stop allowing the men in management to oppress the women.

Believe in the Mission, But Too Many Changes

Current Employee - Associate Project Engineer in Melville, NY

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with in a relaxed atmosphere. The safety certification service UL provides is invaluable to the products we use daily! Career opportunities available...if you seek them out.

Cons

1) A Lot of Changes: So many changes in policy and practices over the years that much of the time UL comes full circle to the original process.
    2) Promotions are difficult (at least in my experience): Not necessarily a con, but you must specifically develop an action plan with your supervisor during goal setting and specifically indicate that a promotion and subsequent salary increase (don't fall for the old "title change" trick) as a result of meeting or exceeding the goals.
    3) Compensation: Payscale.com shows UL as paying 4% below market. If you've been at UL for a while, chances are your salary at your position is probably lower than what a new hire Engineer to UL in the same position would get (Glassdoor is great for updated salary info!). Now if the new hire is getting 4% below market, you can imagine what the long timer is getting. Its because the salary increase are either minisule or far between, but in order to be competitive in the market, the new hire is paid more. More consideration should be given to those who have endured the 'cons" mentioned for so long.

- Change is good, but not just to say you did it. Have a clear path and objective in mind. Too often it seems like UL is "testing" out some new process only to do away with it shortly thereafter.
     - Make salaries transparent. I should have a right to know at least what the average salary for my position as well as others for both promotional discussions, personal motivation, and fair practice. One shouldn't be underpaid, while another in the same position is paid more

Great place to work

Former Employee - Project Handler I in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Project Handler I in Melville, NY

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Their public-safety mission is second to none. Good benefits package and work-life balance including flexible hours. The friendly atmosphere is filled with people who are passionate about their work.

Cons

Their training leaves much to be desired. You pretty much have to learn as you go. In time you do catch on.

Field Engineer

Current Employee - Field Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

very friendly atmosphere and work load is average.

Cons

Need to work very hard.

Great place to work, but management needs work

Current Employee - Associate Project Engineer in Melville, NY

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than an year)

Pros

UL has great benefits (401K matching, Insurance), decent pay, flexible hours and laid back, travel, secured.

Cons

A Niche market, not much engineering, very bureaucratic, mid and upper management are useless, losing market share

I never worked at a place where after 2 years of service, I had no clue what my supervisor or manager did. If both our manager and supervisor took a year off, everything will still run smoothly.

Intern (Administrative Specialist)

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Melville, NY

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

UL is a great company to work for because of how fast you can learn in such a short period of time. A lot of the higher ups were very encouraging and full of gratitude for summer help.

Cons

You work as a team but there is little opportunity to get recognized or advance beyond the tasks you are being given.

Be more flexible and willing to let interns learn things outside their domain, and do not underestimate how fast or quick we are able to learn and grow from it. Also, a little less nepotism would be appreciated when it comes to the hiring process.

Great work environment, employes and location for me.

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Melville, NY

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All co-workers are easy to get along with. Company provides training, schooling and safety classes.

Cons

The list for promotion and career advancement was very long.

For working at UL who had to be versatile, well-rounded in electricity, collaborative and eager to learn.

Underwriters Laboratories Photos