Underwriters Laboratories

Updated February 25, 2015
3.2

Underwriters Laboratories President and CEO Keith E. Williams
Keith E. Williams

Pros
  • Additionally this company allows for a great work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• The staff at UL are dedicated to the company mission of public safety and are great to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management seems to not understand the core process (although this is getting better now) (in 11 reviews)

• Not a lot of career advancement opportunities (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, great experience.

Former Employee - Field Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Field Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary, ok benefits, nice company travel.

Cons

Downsizing and resizing at the present time.

Hold on too your talent.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Facilities
    Current Employee - Facilities

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories

Pros

Don't have to do a lot of work for your pay. People who work there are all friendly. Benefits are ok. match 4% of your 401k

Cons

Don't except to move up in the company. They seem to lay off people then higher new people at a lower pay vs promoting within the company.

Use the talent that you have here working already. Let multitasking people multitask and pay them what they are worth. Some of us can do more work then 3 people here at the slow pace they set.

Great co-workers, extremely poor work ethics (possibly illegal)

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories

Pros

1) Ability to make up hours instead of taking a whole day off
    2) Great co-workers

Cons

1) Manager of lab I worked in clearly didn't care about the concerns I brought up, about being untrained to perform certain experiments
    2) One technician explicitly told me to just claim that a test passed before even conducting it.

Please listen to your employees, if they have the decency and courage and to come to you with concerns then you must hear them out and actually care!

Transforming very slowly

Former Employee - IT Director in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - IT Director in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous mission - Public Safety. Great training opportunities at all levels, especially leadership. Great people who are highly dedicated to doing their jobs and making the world a safer place. Very flexible work environment.

Cons

Politics and bureaucracy have increased extensively during the current CEO's tenure. Leadership issues at the very top and the CEO moves very slowly to deal with them. One senior leader in particular is in his third role, has never communicated what he was going to do, and has never accomplished anything in any of the roles except for getting the opportunity to move to another role. Very dysfunctional and a concerning lack of accountability.

Clean house even more than what has been done. Articulate a clear strategy and hold individuals accountable to attain their goals. Stop org changes which only result in buying leadership another 18-24 months before being questioned, with the result always being another org change.

Public safety mission - very poor management.

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Public safety mission - challenging work - great co-workers - benefits are adequate - salary is adequate - good engineering staff

Cons

Too many layers of management. Sales group is a waste of money. Too many managers from aquisitions are put in top management positions.

Remove at least 2 layers of management - never put managers in top management positions without first making sure they understand the company business and culture.

A lot of potential but a low moving ship

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Recently converted to For-profit so a competetive mindset is starting to fill in.

Cons

Old not for profit dominated Managment staff set in their entitlement ways. Lack of accountability at the top. Multi year restructuring is confusing to staff

Stop trying to be all things to all the world and focus on what UL is good at. Enough already.

UL is a great company

Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories

Pros

Sense of family
    Great pay
    Awesome work environment

Cons

None!
    Such a great company!

Working for a safer world

Current Employee - Training Manager
    Current Employee - Training Manager

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has transformed itself over the past 10 years, and has certainly moved in a positive direction. What was once a command and control environment has changed into a more diverse, and collaborative working environment.

Cons

There seems to be some floundering as we try to remake ourselves and change our current business model. At one time we specialized in testing and certification primarily. We now are trying to move into areas of consulting and knowledge sharing. We haven't figured it all yet, and it feels a bit chaotic.

Upper management continues to be transparent to the employees by sharing information, but it would be helpful if they became more in tune with the front line worker and their experiences with our customers.

Bearacratic and perpetually mis-managed

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For my first 10 years here, it was steady work, albeit not that well paid. We had 38.5 hour work weeks, frequent section outings, it was rewarding. Good engineering staff tries to do The Right Thing. LOTS of technical knowledge in one company

Cons

Work is not steady any more. Management thinks it can continually lay off solid people with decades' worth of relevant knowledge, then immediately replace them with wet-behind-the-ears grads and low-cost employees in foreign offices. It has fostered an environment when coworkers are stabbing each other in the back for the most profitable work so their numbers can look better and they won't be laid off in the next round. Performance reviews now include forced ranking to a bell curve, so that lots of good employees are rated low, just to provide easy justification for lay-offs later.

Cut out the middle 5 layers of management. Executive management needs to become more in touch with what the engineers are dealing with who interface with the customers, and not just by the boot lickers immediately below them. Focus on doing a few things really well, instead of trying to buy more and more lateral businesses to stay relevant. Being in a state of continual transformation is incredibly inefficient.

Good established company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Camas, WA

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with UL over 9 years and changed few positions. UL is a great company to work for! Safety Mission driven organization makes your life meaningful. I enjoy openness and good communication from our CEO. But you may find opposite from lower level management depending on Business Unit. Like in every big corporation you have many opportunities to grow if you have desire, required skills or education.

Cons

It is hard to advance your career as non-technical support. You may expect great benefit package but I would rate it as average. Depending on location, Business Unit and Management you may find different working environment. Some BUs are very strict and traditional and not flexible at all towards employees. Others are very good towards employees providing good work-life balance, such as remote work options and flexible hours.

5 star for CEO! But lack of communication from VPs.

Underwriters Laboratories Photos