Underwriters Laboratories

Updated January 27, 2015
3.2

Underwriters Laboratories President and CEO Keith E. Williams
Keith E. Williams

Pros
  • Additionally this company allows for a great work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• The staff at UL are dedicated to the company mission of public safety and are great to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management seems to not understand the core process (although this is getting better now) (in 11 reviews)

• Not a lot of career advancement opportunities (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

UL is a great company

Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories

Pros

Sense of family
    Great pay
    Awesome work environment

Cons

None!
    Such a great company!

Working for a safer world

Current Employee - Training Manager
    Current Employee - Training Manager

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has transformed itself over the past 10 years, and has certainly moved in a positive direction. What was once a command and control environment has changed into a more diverse, and collaborative working environment.

Cons

There seems to be some floundering as we try to remake ourselves and change our current business model. At one time we specialized in testing and certification primarily. We now are trying to move into areas of consulting and knowledge sharing. We haven't figured it all yet, and it feels a bit chaotic.

Upper management continues to be transparent to the employees by sharing information, but it would be helpful if they became more in tune with the front line worker and their experiences with our customers.

so so

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories

Pros

flexible hours, good clients, little paperwork

Cons

overworked, a lot of driving

Bearacratic and perpetually mis-managed

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For my first 10 years here, it was steady work, albeit not that well paid. We had 38.5 hour work weeks, frequent section outings, it was rewarding. Good engineering staff tries to do The Right Thing. LOTS of technical knowledge in one company

Cons

Work is not steady any more. Management thinks it can continually lay off solid people with decades' worth of relevant knowledge, then immediately replace them with wet-behind-the-ears grads and low-cost employees in foreign offices. It has fostered an environment when coworkers are stabbing each other in the back for the most profitable work so their numbers can look better and they won't be laid off in the next round. Performance reviews now include forced ranking to a bell curve, so that lots of good employees are rated low, just to provide easy justification for lay-offs later.

Cut out the middle 5 layers of management. Executive management needs to become more in touch with what the engineers are dealing with who interface with the customers, and not just by the boot lickers immediately below them. Focus on doing a few things really well, instead of trying to buy more and more lateral businesses to stay relevant. Being in a state of continual transformation is incredibly inefficient.

Workplace Health and Safety Division

I worked at Underwriters Laboratories full-time

Pros

Great brand and name recognition.
    Good alignment with safety professionals.

Cons

Not a traditional sales organization.
    Compensation plans are below average
    A ton of turnover throughout the organization

Revamp products
    Treat your people better
    Foster better communication

Great Engineers, Bad Vision

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at UL for 8 years now and moved all the way from Engineer to Engineering Leader.
    You enjoy the people that work with you at UL and that is the reason the company stays a float. The benefits are decent.

Cons

The company is based upon Engineering but there are no engineers in management. When you do make it, you are asked to be a “YES” man or else moved back to a technical role. Well the aspiration of upper management may focus on profit, there is no business plan, foresight, or even any idea what can be done to sustain growth. Former clients who worked at UL are disgusted with UL’s policy and customer service practices. The DMV looks more efficient as UL is littered with red tape. No creativity or recognition is supported by management. No Growth. It is a job and not a career.

Stop taking advice from advisers who claim the emperor's robe is exquisite when he is actually naked.

salary

Current Employee - Entry Level Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Entry Level Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

freedom, experience, area of expertise is new.

Cons

low salary but everything else is fine.

should be more hands on

Good established company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Camas, WA

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with UL over 9 years and changed few positions. UL is a great company to work for! Safety Mission driven organization makes your life meaningful. I enjoy openness and good communication from our CEO. But you may find opposite from lower level management depending on Business Unit. Like in every big corporation you have many opportunities to grow if you have desire, required skills or education.

Cons

It is hard to advance your career as non-technical support. You may expect great benefit package but I would rate it as average. Depending on location, Business Unit and Management you may find different working environment. Some BUs are very strict and traditional and not flexible at all towards employees. Others are very good towards employees providing good work-life balance, such as remote work options and flexible hours.

5 star for CEO! But lack of communication from VPs.

Interesting and different job. Mediocre pay

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories

Pros

Benefits are decent. Pay isn't terrible but it could be better. Depending on what area you work in, the people are generally nice.

Cons

Too many management layers with high salaries. Once becoming for profit, everything became all about money.

UL is a good company that falls short in many areas.

Current Employee - Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Underwriters Laboratories full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall the work is rewarding. Benefit package is very good for a company of UL's size. Co-workers are extremely supportive & cooperative. A good place to start your career.

Cons

UL is infested with nepotism & cronyism. Company has been "in transformation" for years, with no end in sight. Day to day work is micro-managed. Computer systems are antiquated. More Operating Procedures than one can keep track of. Middle management obsessed with revenue. Upper management focused on golf tournaments and photo ops.

Year after year, employee surveys have highlighted employee concerns, but they have fallen on deaf ears. UL can be a great company - but it won't happen unless you change your ways.

Underwriters Laboratories Photos