Uni-Select

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
2.4

Richard G. Roy

I feel this is a Great Company to work for-I feel the People that review badly towards Our Company are wrong.

I have been working at Uni-Select

Pros

Everyone pulls together to get things done-Managers to Drivers work together.

Cons

People that complain everyday about the Company are the ones that dont do anything to improve!

Send the People who hate and complain about their jobs packing! We dont need Them on this Team!

Good bye Canadians

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Uni-Select

Pros

good pay & benefits acquired thru union negotiations. Steady work with summer OT due to vacations for stocking. Senior personal still keeps the whse viable.

Cons

micro managed leader, low inventory including 'A' numbers, attendance by few employees herendess, new SAP system slows production down, newer employees with no work ethic

Bring back original owners to get the business back prior to Canadians purchase10 years ago

Human Resource Generalist

I worked at Uni-Select full-time (more than a year)

Pros

International organization with many opportunities for people who are looking to advance.

Cons

Pay is low, management expects everyone to work to death, there is no training but you are held accountable for mistakes on things. Management is very far removed from the day-to-day operations and are not aware of the many issues and problems that need to be addressed.

Get to to know your employees, don't be afraid to ask for their input regarding operational effectiveness and streamlining processes.

Really bad

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Uni-Select full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No pro this company sucks I rather go somewhere else don't waste your time.Nelda is the worst manager that I know.

Cons

Do not work for nelda she will change moods every minute if anything listen to somebody else,and when raises for the employees come around they forget about all the good you did for the company while the managers get bonuses.

Hire managers from within,they rather hire somebody that doesn't know where parts are located or how the warehouse works,this is why people always quit,especially on nelda's team.

Good company which is going in the right direction.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Uni-Select full-time

Pros

Excellent senior managers. Great benefits all around. Great work-life mix. Pays well and satisfying to have the freedom to make changes.

Cons

Software and accounting system is outdated.

Keep at it!!

Might be the worst company in America

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Uni-Select full-time

Pros

Well, everyone is leaving -- so, if you do work there, you'll have the entire place to yourself.

Cons

When you search the worlds most deplorable employers, I am shocked that this company isn't listed.

For starters, senior leaderships is deplorable and the two guys really running the show are incompetents. Literal incompetent -- but they think they are the most amazing people in the world, so if you enjoy being questioned on a daily basis by someone who has "never been wrong a day in their life" -- this is the place for you.

Once long ago, this was a family owned company and from what I've been told it was a wonderful place to work for. Today -- employees hate working here, the sales team is demoralized, the store managers hate the management and it shows. No one wants to come to work in the morning, vacant jobs can't get filled because word on the street has gotten out as to how poor it is.

You've been warned -- this is a buyer beware situation. Work here only as a last resort.

As a manager of staff, I am concerned about my team and how they are doing on a day-to-day basis, both personally and professionally. You should be concerned more about this and less about your bonus and answering to stock holders.

This company has no loyalty to their employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Uni-Select (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good hours and great customers.

Cons

You work your butt off because your always short handed. The managers don't appreciate anything you do. The salesman and the Manager do nothing then corporate blames the asst. Manager and everyone else for not getting new accounts. Then they lay you off after being the 14 years knowing your a single parent of 2. They make you work all day then lay you off at 5 on Friday at the end of the month. And if your a woman in this company you will get paid much less than a man will.

When you have someone who worked their butt off for your company and stuck through everything when everyone was leaving and they stayed and did the manager's job for months at a time without being paid for it. You let go of the wrong person.

Unis-Select ruined a great mom & pop operation....

Former Employee - Retail Parts Specialist in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Retail Parts Specialist in Worcester, MA

I worked at Uni-Select full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many DC's to draw stock from. Some +'s with their POS system. Great foreign nameplate coverage by owning Beck/Arnley.

Cons

More concerned with complicating their corporate structure than providing their employees the tools and motivation to do what they're paid to do. VERY investor driven. Wage increases are meager at best. Constantly adds new and expensive layers to corporate hierarchy, while whittling away store level employee hours to compensate. More regional/district/general/middle managers than counterpeople. And Richard Roy, who is also Independent Director of Dollarama Inc. Maybe a strategic merger is in the works? 3 pack of foil cake pans with my brake pads please!

NEED MORE MANAGEMENT!!! Perhaps remove ALL store level employees and hire a few dozen MORE executives.

Micro Management and Arrogant Attitudes

Current Employee - Sales in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Uni-Select full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The good people that I have made friends with.

Cons

New COO is a hatchet man. Cut 450 jobs and the stock went up, what a hero. Management grills sales people with weekly conference calls where everyone gets called on the carpet. Reports and more reports. Cut wages, insurance, car plan, etc. And why do I still work here? Moral is worse than a POW camp. Employees at all levels hate this company and are bailing out of this sinking ship. Cut, cut, cut and more cuts. This company will work you to death, pay you little, steal your confidence and then kick you to the curb. Heartless and ruthless.

Canadians - We know you hate the U.S. Operation so sell it already. If you can. This company was a nice one to work for when the family owned it and you have run it aground. You must change the brutal culture here and treat people like human beings. If not, this ship will sink in short order.

Worst Job i've ever had

I have been working at Uni-Select full-time

Pros

From the worker's level, we came together to do the job... kinda like how some slaves were cool with each other having to deal with the head master...

Cons

Worst place I have ever worked ever... Didnt get anything for pay, yet you were on MANDATORY OVERTIME on saturdays and some sundays. management is clueless and treats workers horribly. horrible training, horrible attitudes, disfunctional and not worth stress. work keeps increasing but the help is not coming. were worked down to the bone and instead of acknowledgement, were told that tomorrow is going to be harder... much harder.. everyday. Dont go here. trust me..

kill yourselves.