UniFirst

UniFirst Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti

Ronald D. Croatti

Pros:
  • "Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good sales training material and now I'm just trying to fill a 20 word minimum"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "There can be long hours but that is true with any career"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Always assumes the problem is the Sales Rep, not the territory"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Given a REAL Chance to grow!

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSales support and education. Experienced sales rep in office as a mentor. Patient Sales Manager, Engaged Regional and Supportive GM!

ConsiPad education has been spotty. The introduction of the iPad to the sales force without the sales managers having one made learning a bit harder than it should have been.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate decisions should be made with each territory in mind. Things in the South are different than the North.

I'm a route sales representative also known as delivery driver and service.

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Neenah, AL

ProsNumber one thing about being a delivery driver is your boss is not sitting in the truck with you breathing down your shoulder and during the summer you get to enjoy the nice weather.

ConsChallenges include not getting your proper product for your route, which then the managers seem to think you should have to run a special for. If you have old trucks then we'll like mine it breaks down all the time. You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good..

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say that your going to do something and not do it.. Learn to respect your route drivers who are out there doing the dirty work for the company trying to keep the customers happy. Especially when we don't get paid for crap.

Worst Professional Experience Ever

Route Sales Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsHonestly, my experience was so short lived I cannot remember any positives.

ConsThe route professionals were treated as nothing more than delivery-men, not sales professionals. The hours that I observed them work for the pay that they received was definitely not worth it in my opinion. They could have had 2 full time jobs, or even 1 full time and a decent part time job, and made more money while working less hours. In other words, if you broke it down as an hourly position, these guys weren't really making much money at all for 12-15 hrs. a day or more on the job. How can you obtain sales and grow a business as a route sales rep, when it takes everything you've got just to finish the route? That alone, but certainly not the only thing, bred poor customer service issues. Also their contract auto-renewal policy left a poor taste in many customers mouth, but this company only threatened lawsuits. #Marketshare The final straw was witnessing a "Professional" curse out a rep on the dock in front of the entire plant.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO NOT curse out your people...not at all but, especially, not in front of others. Have a little class. Treat your customers as though they are the reason you are employed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Only if you are desperate. Really desperate.

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Pontiac, MI

ProsNot many to speak of. If I had to say anything positive it is that I could be my own boss, which is good since you'll be in the cold if you wait on management.

ConsThe uniform industry is seriously corrupt and should be regulated. I am convinced that the majority of profit is from bogus service fees and price increases - Unifirst employs mostly former (and likely current) criminals that are desperate as well as immigrants that can't speak a lick of English. This includes all the drivers, office staff and production workers. Having a degree whilst working for Unifirst was torture as I attempted to understand the drivel coming from low IQ zombie workers. Unifirst doesn't know yet that we live in the 21st century and a bulk of any process is driven via paper systems. I repeat: this "green" company goes through reams of paper daily and writing orders is excruciating. They play games with your sales and commissions as well. One week you can't sell certain accounts and the next week you can. I was told that I go after too big of sales and they call this "elephant hunting" - I think they were nervous that if I did sell a big account they wouldn't have the resources to service and get sued by a customer that has the resources to win as opposed to screwing small business owners. Just stay away - stay on unemployment or look for a different job unless you have an IQ lower than 90 and love outdated stuck in the 80's workplace environments.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pick up a book or learn to do something that requires intelligence and then apply what you've learned in the workplace instead of being a corporate cronie and drinking the koolaid. Lazy dullards.

Over promised, under delivered

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Eugene, OR

ProsGood Pay
    Great Training
    Excellent room for advancement

ConsHigh stress
    High turnover (Eugene, OR)
    Micro-management
    One sales quota nationwide, no local consideration

Advice to Senior ManagementStructure sales quota and teams per individual region, not all regions are worthy of the same quota

Great company, horrible location!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, good family/work balance

ConsManagement doesn't trust employees, works you to death without adequate pay, doesn't fulfill promises

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust your employees a little more.

15 years and still going

Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsI can say this......I will not even entertain the idea of talking with another uniform co. UniFirst as a Corp. has a true concern for the success of their sales people. They have a performance based compensation plan. Do the job and do it well and you get paid well. Most of the negative reviews about UniFirst come from people who had little time spent as an employee there. GREAT company and people to work for.

ConsThe only cons I see at my location as well as others is in fact on a location level not a Corp level. Management can't seem to focus on what works.......just focus on what works for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating renegade sales people who are at quota like they are a GOD !!!! Believe me the day will come when they crash and burn. Every sales rep should be held to the same standard regardless of their percent to quota or tenure.

This company does not care about its employees

Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsI do not have any good reasons why to work for this company

ConsThe management team have a very poor out look regarding the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTart caring about the people you employ

This company does not stand behind customer service.

ProsWorking independently, co workers and most customers

Conspoor pay for hour spent, management unstable, GM worse. Equipment is not safe especially the trucks. The company shorts customers their merchandise the charges them a premium cost to have it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management

Just not good at all.

Route Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThere is unfortunately just not very much I can say about this company that is good. It may only be certain locations that are not good to work for.

ConsOverworked and underpaid. I worked 13-16 hours a day with this company for 6 years. My customers all loved and praised me but the company refused me of any opportunity for advancement. Their response to my attempts at advancement were to increase my workload and hours. Regrettably there was no pay increase involved with the increase in workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review your company values and how you treat your employees. If I recall, there were parts within it that encouraged advancement from within. As I said before, this could be a localized issue but it would benefit the corporate office to perhaps eliminate some positions or move those in supervisory roles to other locations. Morale tends to wane within the company among its employees.

Worked for UniFirst? Contribute to the Community!

UniFirst Videos

UniFirst – Why Work for Us?

UniFirst is one of North America's largest workwear and textile services companies. We rent, lease, and sell uniforms, protective clothing, custom corporate workwear, floorcare, and other facility services products to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UniFirst reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UniFirst CEO Ronald D. Croatti. All 204 reviews posted anonymously by UniFirst employees.