UniFirst

Updated February 23, 2015
3.2

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 16 reviews)

• There are great training programs in place for each position to help you succeed; it is up to you to take advantage of it (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 19 reviews)

• Every single sales rep hits a wall around 39-52 weeks and have to push through it (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Former Employee - District Service Manager in Kenner, LA
    Former Employee - District Service Manager in Kenner, LA

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

I really enjoyed working there. As a District Service Manager, the job involves a lot of moving parts. Customer service is a key component, but you have to pay attention to the logistics, as well. The pay is decent, with a pretty decent bonus program. The company has a lot of employee related incentives and perks. The travel, if you are required to so, was minimal and completely covered by the company.

Cons

At the time, it required a lot of long hours. I only left because of the time away from my family. As I understand it, the company has streamlined some of its operations, through the use of computers, and that has reduced the time significantly.

It would help to have an extra route man at each branch (supervisor).

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to have a career with and develop. Best training in corporate america. Top notch leadership and a completely unique family business vibe for a large company. Not many billion dollar industry CEOs do regular location visits.

Cons

No cons. Love the company and "Bleed Green"

RSR OUTLOOK

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Atkins, VA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Atkins, VA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had never had a job I looked forward to getting up to every morning. Until I started working here. You are treated with respect on a daily basis. Hard work does not go unnoticed. The pay is awesome but you have to work for what you get. It's not a lazy man's career by no means. There are some very top notch leaders in the company along with a few outdated ones. I like working without someone breathing down my neck. I like the pat on the back, the job well done's you get. The freedom of running your route as if you owned the company, really make the day zip by. Customer relations are a key tool to turning your job into a career. Building a good trusting relationship with your customers means allot.

Cons

I think that paper invoices are out dated. To much hustling paper. The dress code is a little behind the times. I think the white shirts are a bad choice for clean representation after an rsr has been in garages, machine shops, welding shops, coal mines. Getting all that grit on you then walking in a hospital or a restaurant. Some of them out dated management need to move on. Or get with the real time. Just because things worked for you 35 years ago. Don't always mean it will work today.

Dress your RSR's out of the catalog to promote your items. People like to see different things. Not so dirty drivers. What a better way to promote sales when you can show it first hand. Up your % on commission just a bit. Go a little easier on the mom's and pops joints. Don't forget Aldo started as a one man band. Don't go to far out past your boundaries.

Overall great company

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work hours. Great place to learn sales skills and gain great work experience.

Cons

Sometimes becomes repetitive. Slumps cause stress.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Overall, good company to start your career at

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good experience, pretty good training, good resume builder, teaches you how to work hard to be successful in a sales environment, culture is solid

Cons

Low pay for salespeople, company is more focused on service than they are the sales people, high turnover in sales positions, no vacation time the first year

Take better care of sales people and turnover will drop dramatically

Micro Managed

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

Base Salary, some other small perks

Cons

Horrible work environment, Beyond micro managed, must enter call and note after every appointment and cold call, if internet goes down or an hour goes by with no entry they will call and ask what you have been doing, Phone block days, manager sits behind and listens to calls, buts in and bashes when he is not hearing the other side of the conversation,, to much negativity, nothing is ever good enough,,, saw out number one sales rep for 20 out of 24 months get sent home a day without pay because his number were on the decline for 3 weeks,,, wow, that's when I realized this was not for me, turned n my resignation..,, Life is to short to hate your job,,,

Treat mature , seasoned , successful sales reps with respect and encouragement,,

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good compensation.
    Good benefits.
    Good people.

Cons

SalesLogix is a terrible program.
    Once you miss your numbers, you're already on your way out.

Update things like SalesLogix! Many inefficiencies in sales office must be corrected.

Chalk this one up to experience i guess.

Former Employee - District Service Supervisor
    Former Employee - District Service Supervisor

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make some serious money if you get a high volume RSR route. But you will never see your family friends or have any respect from upper management.

Cons

No work/life balance. product shortages, bad management, they expect the world from you without providing you with the tools or products necessary to do the job.

Route Sales Rep

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People, $$,power routes, independence, Build relationships with customers,hard work gets recognition, pretty much let you take ownership of your route! As long as customers aren't complaining!

Cons

Trucks breaking down frequently, National Accounts pay peanuts! Should get paid for contract renewals! Need handheld computer s, those invoices are from the 60's!

Better trucks and pay for contract renewals! Get handhelds! Those invoices are ancient!

Sales Rep

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Freindly atmosphere. Nice Sales Managers. Great for entry level sales

Cons

If you love micro management, then you will love working for UniFirst. Very restrictive. No wiggle room to sell using your own style. Do it word for word verbatum, there way. Lots of roll play in unrealistic situations

Let your sales people use their style, and stop restricting there every move, it cramps there style