UniFirst

Updated January 30, 2015
3.2

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 16 reviews)

• There are great training programs in place for each position to help you succeed; it is up to you to take advantage of it (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 19 reviews)

• Every single sales rep hits a wall around 39-52 weeks and have to push through it (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting, always challenging, and always learning.

Current Employee - Location Manager
    Current Employee - Location Manager

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, atmosphere, treated like a person and not a number, UniFirst takes care of you. It's not handed to you, but well rewarded when you work hard and put the effort in. You will be recognized. Too many Pros!

Cons

Not UniFirst. The only issue is today's work force.

Be a Leader, Not a Manager. Lead by example. Get your hands dirty from time to time. Get out in the trenches. Sit and get to know all your employees.

Overall, good company to start your career at

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good experience, pretty good training, good resume builder, teaches you how to work hard to be successful in a sales environment, culture is solid

Cons

Low pay for salespeople, company is more focused on service than they are the sales people, high turnover in sales positions, no vacation time the first year

Take better care of sales people and turnover will drop dramatically

Put in the work and succeed

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. I chose this company over Cintas because of the people. They have had my back from the beginning and have worked hard to help me succeed. This was my third sales job and definitely the best support, training, products and payout. I was skeptical of the commission payout. However, my first year I made about $58k and my second year I made over $100k. Its a great place to learn how to sell and to take that into management or to another company. There are also ample opportunities for advancement especially if you are willing to move.

Cons

Its hard work. I don't know that that's a con but some people want a job were they just show up and get paid. Not going to happen here. A lot of people who are unsatisfied with UniFirst should not be in sales. The CRM tool is cumbersome. I haven't found a CRM tool that is ideal though. Most people feel that are a micromanagement tool and to an extent they are.

Restructure the facility service product commission to avoid demoralizing charge-backs. In Chicago, we developed a way to monitor and minimize commission charge-back but a restructured system would be better. Keep the technology improvements coming.

sales consultant

Former Employee - Sales in Norwalk, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Norwalk, CA

I worked at UniFirst (more than 3 years)

Pros

great sales packages good team leaders, coworkers, great product line.

Cons

selling and negotiating contracts, having prospects breach their agreements.

filter a bit more your immidiate sales managers.

recieved management experiance here

Former Employee - Assistant Production Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Production Manager

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

the pros about working at Unifirst were gaining leadership qualities that i can take with me to any job.

Cons

the cons about working here were never enough people for the amount of work

fill orders load trucks unload trucks ship out orders recive orders and sort out product order clean up work area

Former Employee - Labor in New Kensington, PA
    Former Employee - Labor in New Kensington, PA

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

it is work it is study on going work the people are nice and the job is fun to do

Cons

it is cold in the winter and very hot in the summer time and the shift is very cool to work

Not Bad

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Friendly Management Crew worked well with others

Cons

Worked over the 8hr day everyday and for low pay

Great place to start or end an B2B outside sales career!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Stratford, CT

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Generous base salary plus uncapped commissions, vehicle allowance, cell phone allowance. The more you sell, the more you make with no restrictions. They truly want you to close deals.
    - Training is top notch. Their corporate training team spends a ton of time & money with employees to make sure they have the tools and knowledge to succeed.
    - They tend to promote from within, so room for growth is there, if you have your head on your shoulders and perform.
    - The company is growing and has a great reputation within the industry. Products are not a top priority of prospects, but are ones that all businesses use, so you can sell to anyone as long as you can sell it.
    - Work hard and you will make good $$$ and have great job security. Slack and you won't last a year!
    - I like my job and the company. Only unsuccessful sales reps bag on the company and job.

Cons

- Office days are twice a week, when you could be on the road closing deals.
    - Too much administrative work, which takes away from time contacting prospects.
    - Not much teamwork among departments. Some emails do not get responded to unless you CC their boss.
    - Some technology issues, but they are growing and trying to improving these issues.
    - Can be very cut throat and need to watch out who you trust to confide in.

- Get rid of office days to allow reps to make quota. Just have weekly meeting.
    - Reduce admin work, freeing up a day to sell more.
    - Make people accountable for not doing their jobs.

Why walmart is better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lebanon, NH

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

just trying to make things better...........

Cons

This company should have one undercover boss in its facilities in nh vs its newer shops in the south. Shops are ran like sweatshops supervisors are required to work 30 plus hrs of overtime for free so this makes this company great to work for as a salary employee. Company claims to be about family but the GM doesn't care one bit about anyone but his self. To be a company in the north the low pay for supervisors and employees is dismal walmart pays better. Management looks at employees as if they get a winter out of the dock crew that works three times more hours as anyone else in the company then they can replace them if they quit GM treats his staff with such disrespect that if he worked for any other company he would be asked to resign but yet home office looks at him like a great boss. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Treat supervisors with the same respect you want for yourself as well as the employees that do your work. Staff and pay like you want to keep employees do not treat them as temp staff if thats what you want then hire temp staff so as to not waste time training them. If unifirst is a family business and cares about employees family then they need to see their families ive never worked for a company that caters to their driver like newborn babies that do nothing more that get into their truck and drive come back leave their truck in a mess and go home with no respect for the guys who make sure they have what they need for their job.

Temporary job until you can fins something better

Former Employee - Sales in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Stockton, CA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None. Just a job to have until a real one came along.

Cons

Too many. Hard to be successful when you can't sell to customers because of contracts they are under.