UniFirst Reviews

312 reviews filtered by
3.2
UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 16 reviews)

• There are great training programs in place for each position to help you succeed; it is up to you to take advantage of it (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 19 reviews)

• Every single sales rep hits a wall around 39-52 weeks and have to push through it (in 18 reviews)

If you follow the program and work hard you will be successful.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

UniFirst is a family oriented company that cares about it's employees. Their services are easy to sell with due to the long tenure and quality of service provided by their service teams. The company has an excellent training program that focuses on helping not selling. I never felt like I was taking advantage of a prospect, but that I was actually making a difference for their business. Great opportunity for advancement especially if you have a willingness to relocate.

Cons

The hours are long if you are doing your job right, but it is all reflected in your paycheck. The first year is very tough and you will be tested, but if you can make it through you will have a solid career. This is a fleet service company so only the larger holidays are recognized and there is little vacation time.

For a company who keeps their employees for many years, it should consider providing more benefits earlier on. For instance you must work for the company for 7 full calendar years before earning your third week of vacation, which is a long time. Most companies provide this benefit at year 5 max.

2. "Can be burnout city"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Columbus, GA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent and benefits kick in after a couple months.

Cons

Commissions are average and residuals are non existent even if you lock in a 5 plus year agreement.

Change it up on the sales side a bit and let your properly trained reps sink or swim.

3. Route sales rep

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Bonuses are great fellow drivers share a bond

Cons

Lots of push from non experienced management

Better training for all managers

5. Great Company to build a career

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are the only limit to your growth potential. Great benefits and opportunities to those who get involved and put in the effort. Great values and training programs.

Cons

Long hours sometimes but however most of the time this is your own doing should this happen.

Better salary. Looking at competitors we seem to be on the lower end of the pay scale.

Great company

Former Employee - District Service Manager in Kenner, LA
    Former Employee - District Service Manager in Kenner, LA

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

I really enjoyed working there. As a District Service Manager, the job involves a lot of moving parts. Customer service is a key component, but you have to pay attention to the logistics, as well. The pay is decent, with a pretty decent bonus program. The company has a lot of employee related incentives and perks. The travel, if you are required to so, was minimal and completely covered by the company.

Cons

At the time, it required a lot of long hours. I only left because of the time away from my family. As I understand it, the company has streamlined some of its operations, through the use of computers, and that has reduced the time significantly.

It would help to have an extra route man at each branch (supervisor).

7. Sales Rep

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Shreveport, LA

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

Good Money, Good sales System

Cons

Upper Management views employees as only numbers

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to have a career with and develop. Best training in corporate america. Top notch leadership and a completely unique family business vibe for a large company. Not many billion dollar industry CEOs do regular location visits.

Cons

No cons. Love the company and "Bleed Green"

9. high turnover rate

Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

good for experience, get it and move on

Cons

no room for advancement in this company

listen to your workers

10. RSR OUTLOOK

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Atkins, VA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Atkins, VA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had never had a job I looked forward to getting up to every morning. Until I started working here. You are treated with respect on a daily basis. Hard work does not go unnoticed. The pay is awesome but you have to work for what you get. It's not a lazy man's career by no means. There are some very top notch leaders in the company along with a few outdated ones. I like working without someone breathing down my neck. I like the pat on the back, the job well done's you get. The freedom of running your route as if you owned the company, really make the day zip by. Customer relations are a key tool to turning your job into a career. Building a good trusting relationship with your customers means allot.

Cons

I think that paper invoices are out dated. To much hustling paper. The dress code is a little behind the times. I think the white shirts are a bad choice for clean representation after an rsr has been in garages, machine shops, welding shops, coal mines. Getting all that grit on you then walking in a hospital or a restaurant. Some of them out dated management need to move on. Or get with the real time. Just because things worked for you 35 years ago. Don't always mean it will work today.

Dress your RSR's out of the catalog to promote your items. People like to see different things. Not so dirty drivers. What a better way to promote sales when you can show it first hand. Up your % on commission just a bit. Go a little easier on the mom's and pops joints. Don't forget Aldo started as a one man band. Don't go to far out past your boundaries.

11. Good Company and Training

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

Great training and compensation plan

Cons

Put all on a fast-track for success.

None