UniFirst

UniFirst Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti

Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 12 reviews)

• Good sales training material and now I'm just trying to fill a 20 word minimum (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 13 reviews)

• average sales rep tenure is less than 2 years meaning you don't have any mentors to help you along (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I'm a route sales representative also known as delivery driver and service.

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Neenah, AL

ProsNumber one thing about being a delivery driver is your boss is not sitting in the truck with you breathing down your shoulder and during the summer you get to enjoy the nice weather.

ConsChallenges include not getting your proper product for your route, which then the managers seem to think you should have to run a special for. If you have old trucks then we'll like mine it breaks down all the time. You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good..

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say that your going to do something and not do it.. Learn to respect your route drivers who are out there doing the dirty work for the company trying to keep the customers happy. Especially when we don't get paid for crap.

The don't care about people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsThey make you think that you will be hired If you are always on time and no absent!!!

ConsWhen they hired you, they said that you were going to have a 2 week training period, after that you were going to start checking your performance and as long as your are always on time they will keep you, well that's a big lie!!, after just a few days they started counting your performance and they are not shy about telling you that you are not doing your quota in front everybody in the break room, they keep hiring every month and just keep their friends because they have a referal program, well now you now how this company works, that is the reason why they are not even members of the BBB. Think about it!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI was never absent

Worst Professional Experience Ever

Route Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsHonestly, my experience was so short lived I cannot remember any positives.

ConsThe route professionals were treated as nothing more than delivery-men, not sales professionals. The hours that I observed them work for the pay that they received was definitely not worth it in my opinion. They could have had 2 full time jobs, or even 1 full time and a decent part time job, and made more money while working less hours. In other words, if you broke it down as an hourly position, these guys weren't really making much money at all for 12-15 hrs. a day or more on the job. How can you obtain sales and grow a business as a route sales rep, when it takes everything you've got just to finish the route? That alone, but certainly not the only thing, bred poor customer service issues. Also their contract auto-renewal policy left a poor taste in many customers mouth, but this company only threatened lawsuits. #Marketshare The final straw was witnessing a "Professional" curse out a rep on the dock in front of the entire plant.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO NOT curse out your people...not at all but, especially, not in front of others. Have a little class. Treat your customers as though they are the reason you are employed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just not good at all.

Route Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThere is unfortunately just not very much I can say about this company that is good. It may only be certain locations that are not good to work for.

ConsOverworked and underpaid. I worked 13-16 hours a day with this company for 6 years. My customers all loved and praised me but the company refused me of any opportunity for advancement. Their response to my attempts at advancement were to increase my workload and hours. Regrettably there was no pay increase involved with the increase in workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease review your company values and how you treat your employees. If I recall, there were parts within it that encouraged advancement from within. As I said before, this could be a localized issue but it would benefit the corporate office to perhaps eliminate some positions or move those in supervisory roles to other locations. Morale tends to wane within the company among its employees.

This company does not care about its employees

Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI do not have any good reasons why to work for this company

ConsThe management team have a very poor out look regarding the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTart caring about the people you employ

This company does not stand behind customer service.

ProsWorking independently, co workers and most customers

Conspoor pay for hour spent, management unstable, GM worse. Equipment is not safe especially the trucks. The company shorts customers their merchandise the charges them a premium cost to have it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management

Its kind of a scam, they post job titles that are not real

District Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Floral Park, NY

ProsThere are none, they do not pay over time, and the 1st day you are there they stress that this is non union. They don't want to be union because if they were union they would have to pay over time. They will make you watch a video that shows "how bad unions are"

ConsTake my advice, if you accept a job from them, you are in for hell. I applied for a router supervisors position. All you will be is a floater, nothing else. Its a lie, its a scam. STAY AWAY!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront with people, and get rid of this 65 hour work weeks, and no paid over time.

Definition of Micromanaged sales force

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsFreedom to plan your own day.

Cons-Phone bock was the most useless "tool". Through off your entire day and really unproductive in setting appointments.
    -Sales executives have the worst plan I've ever seen, basically want you to make fake appointments so their numbers look good.
    -You are threatened by corporate on a weekly basis by not having enough CNA's which they know are fake.
    -Corporate says you are paid to uphold the database, which means you are expendable at any time
    -They monitor your activities so close any gaps need to be explained but you were actually presenting and closing a customer, they wanted activities.
    -Vidcons are the biggest waste of time
    -Every report contradicts one another, there are a million reports
    -They want you to do all your work on your own time, but tell you your not paid for you time but your database

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP Micromanaging people, CNA forms are the worst sales form I've ever seen.

I did really enjoy the people I worked with, Corporate ruined any positive experience I had.

Not a Culture for success

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsTraining process is a good one.

ConsManagement doesn't know how to manage people, They all manage activity, hoping they can create successful clones if they all duplicate successful activity.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage people and realize this truth, successful people will always have successful traits and activities. BUT if you teach the who, what, where and when of the narrative, it does not guarantee a success. When you teach and they learn the who, what, where, when and WHY of the narrative you have opened the door for success. Number crunching doesn't achieve any of this.

No work life Balance

Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) Marysville, WA

ProsThe more you work the more you will get paid. You can make some serious money at this company.

ConsThe management has no interest in you on a personal level. they only care about the money you bring in. They are not willing to work to create and even work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBranch Managers need to hold their District Service Manager'/s accountable for their employees time. DSM's waste alot of peoples time thinking they are more important.

Worked for UniFirst? Contribute to the Community!