UniFirst

UniFirst Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti

Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here(in 12 reviews)

• Good sales training material and now I'm just trying to fill a 20 word minimum(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good(in 13 reviews)

• average sales rep tenure is less than 2 years meaning you don't have any mentors to help you along(in 8 reviews)

Great experience...Hard work...Hope to use as a stepping stone

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Montgomery, AL

ProsGood benefits after the first year, solid company, very stable, family atmosphere, great product quality, very intense training for new sales employees, many opportunities for promotion and career growth.

ConsSales goals are the same regardless of where you are located in the country. No consideration of differences of market location, size, etc. Good ole boy network tends to run strong in certain areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the market. By allowing the market size, location, etc. determine the sales goals, your reps will be more successful and therefore more satisfied and motivated. The thought process that if you are not meeting your goals then add another sales rep is not always the answer.

Decent Outside Sales Job

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsDecent Salary (45k) for outside sales. Good Culture, holidays off, decent benefits, etc

ConsI was in a territory about a fifth of the size of other territories in larger cities, but I had the same goals, quotas, etc. I was there for nearly four years and it was really rough at the end. Compared to other sales jobs, it doesnt pay well. Managers don't make close to 100k unless they are exceptional.

Issues always arise too due to nature of laundering clothes, even though they act like they have much better service and processes than competition. They really don't .

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure territory sizes are equal. Not fair to hire someone in a rural area and not give them opportunity. Pay managers better

Manager

Prosgreat company to word for over the last 2yrs

ConsN/A I love being employed here but long hours

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

To make a decent living be ready to commit 60 hours a week

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsYou can make a decent living if you are a driven self-starter. Many of the corporate selling skills training are geared toward beginning sales reps. Hence the short tenures of true hunters.

ConsEverything is based on activities, so as long as you understand you are being tracked hourly not a big deal. If you are a selling machine but have tree bad weeks you will be written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease incentives and some fun perks for reps and they will stay longer. The revolving door is not because they don't want to work, its because they are not incentifyed

It has been a great place to grow.

ProsGreat training, superior products and service. The people I work with are great and there are no automated answering services. Lots of support.

ConsThe pay could be better. It is a very compettive market and it gets very cut throat.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support the people in the field. Mid management needs larger base for the time they put in weekly. It has been very difficult to make bonuses.

Great Career Choice

Sales (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsGood Pay and the bonus structure is awesome. Uncapped 6 figures for sales champions! Great Company benefits. Lots of opportunity for internal promotions. They provide all the tools to make you successful. Great training available. Amazing rewards such as Presidents Club trips to 5 star resorts in places like Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Bahamas.

ConsYou have to work hard to be successful (imagine that). Must be self motivated and willing to work during off hours as needed.

I'm a route sales representative also known as delivery driver and service.

Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) Neenah, AL

ProsNumber one thing about being a delivery driver is your boss is not sitting in the truck with you breathing down your shoulder and during the summer you get to enjoy the nice weather.

ConsChallenges include not getting your proper product for your route, which then the managers seem to think you should have to run a special for. If you have old trucks then we'll like mine it breaks down all the time. You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good..

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say that your going to do something and not do it.. Learn to respect your route drivers who are out there doing the dirty work for the company trying to keep the customers happy. Especially when we don't get paid for crap.

Good experience in the delivery industry.

Delivery Driver (Former Employee) Ocala, FL

ProsThe co-workers were nice and the pay was OK.

ConsThe hours are long and the day starts very early in the morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees for ways to make the company a better place to work.

The don't care about people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsThey make you think that you will be hired If you are always on time and no absent!!!

ConsWhen they hired you, they said that you were going to have a 2 week training period, after that you were going to start checking your performance and as long as your are always on time they will keep you, well that's a big lie!!, after just a few days they started counting your performance and they are not shy about telling you that you are not doing your quota in front everybody in the break room, they keep hiring every month and just keep their friends because they have a referal program, well now you now how this company works, that is the reason why they are not even members of the BBB. Think about it!!

Advice to Senior ManagementI was never absent

If you want a rewarding, fulfilling career, start here but don't finish here

Sales Consultant and Current Job Seeker (Current Employee) Columbia, SC

ProsAverage pay, but bonus structure is awesome.. definite 6 figure income potential (and I'm very close to that level) decent company benefits,
    sales support at corporate level is excellent, in the beginning there is no family/work balance because they push you so hard to reach goals, but the first year it tends to get a little easier.

ConsOnly 5 sick days per year, vacation doesn't accrue so that first year is a nightmare and no time off;
    local management consists of large egos but small brains, I believe they bleed Unifirst green;
    average sales rep tenure is less than 2 years meaning you don't have any mentors to help you along. The quality ones get out, the rest stay and become the property of Ron Croatti.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay for the 1st year to compensate for the lack of vacation, time off and excessive hunting required that first year. That's the only way you are going to keep quality people. The management in place is not the answer to the new hire retention and success.
    Promotions should be based on actual knowledge outside the uniform world, not the YES people. Get some new blood in the organization or you will not surpass the bigger players, Cintas and Aramark.
    Unifirst washes clothes.... that's it. It's very simple. Tell your management in place they don't have a medical degree and they aren't solving cancer or world hunger, they are delivering clean clothes to working people. I think they have forgotten that once they too were working people with a family.
    RON CROATTI, IF YOU REALLY LIVE THE VALUES OF YOUR FATHER ALDO, DON'T GIVE LIP SERVICE, REALLY MEAN IT.. UNIFIRST DIDN'T GAIN SUCCESS OFF THE BACKS OF THEIR CLIENTS, IT WAS BECAUSE OF THEM.

Worked for UniFirst? Contribute to the Community!