UniFirst

Updated December 10, 2014
3.2

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 16 reviews)

• There are great training programs in place for each position to help you succeed; it is up to you to take advantage of it (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 19 reviews)

• Every single sales rep hits a wall around 39-52 weeks and have to push through it (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

good keep my mind working

Former Employee - Shipper in New Kensington, PA
    Former Employee - Shipper in New Kensington, PA

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you get paid every week

Cons

you get dirty and wet in the summer it get real hot inside

Weak local Management Decent Company.

Former Employee - Maintenance in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most weekends off, nothing else really.

Cons

Below average salaries, hot working environment and monkeys running the circus.

Stop propping up your slackers and allow low level managers to manage instead of letting the slackers bring down moral.

This company is terrible!

Former Employee - District Service Supervisor in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - District Service Supervisor in Durham, NC

I worked at UniFirst

Pros

Good pay, bad management will leave you in a bind I have nothing good to say about this company. I really do not appreciate this company's screwing me over.

Cons

They hire 15 people and then fire at least 13 of them.. They don't reason with you, tell you what your doing wrong. They have employees talk to management behind your back. I strongly do not recommend working here. They fired me one afternoon on a weekend said that I wasn't learning quick enough and I was working to fast. The guy I was riding with called himself a christain but threatened to leave me in a city I 2 hrs away from Durham because I wasnt "working fast enough".
    They made me do a cash in and didn't help me, then got made because I didn't learn what I was doing the first time I done it. I do not like this place I will never ever work for them or do business with them in the future, they have left me in a bind. That's not caring about your employees that's being but holes. They try to pull you in with good pay but it's nit worth the hard ship you will get after they fire you.

Words can not describe how much hard ship I have been through sense this business has laid me off.

Keep looking.....

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people at the location. Boundless opportunities for advancement because turnover is so high. Great sales training. If your fortunate enough to have a good Location Manager, you have a chance.

Cons

1. MICROMANAGEMENT!!! 2. The rules of corporate America do not apply to upper management levels. If you're part of the 'good ol' boy network' - you're GOLDEN!!! 3. If too many people go to President's Club, they change the rules the following year to decrease the number of participants to save $$$.

Hold your Managers accountable and don't bend the rules or transfer them when they are caught being unethical or performing illegal acts.

Great first job. Great training!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, great experience. Great opportunity

Cons

No raises. Truly just a number, high turnover- company does nothing to keep good people.

yes, but management is just a recruiter because of turnover along with managing a team and the pressure of meeting a quota

It had potential but management was terrible and HR was a joke

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Owensboro, KY
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Owensboro, KY

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits weren't bad, the job really wasn't that bad.(if they would just let you do it ). The hours were good

Cons

Management wouldn't listen, its the type of place that unless it was their idea then it wasn't a good one... There were multiple times when the right answer was turned down because "we don't want to hear that" ... The plant in Owensboro needs to be expanded no if and or buts about it, but the VP has been quoted as saying that will never happen while he is still working there... I say fire him and let the business grow ! Its this old school thinking that is the worst part of the company.

Get out of the 80s this is the age of collaboration not "one to rule them all" ... You are no better then the people you hire, start treating them like humans instead of numbers.

Over bearing, under paid and micro-managed.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on the surface. The benefits are good. Management talks a good game.

Cons

I've never worked so hard for such little satisfaction or recognition. Constantly Micro managed ( hour by hour) and scrutinized. Never allowed to feel good about successes. Constantly reminded or berated for any short fall in their endless activity qoutas. Sales people not managed for success and results. Managed for failure and turnover, which they have alot of. Corporate culture geared toward young, energetic, and inexperienced sales people they can drive into the dirt and then replace.

Allow for some balance in work/life. Manage for results and reward success mentally as well as monetarily. Allow good employees to feel secure and valued instead of insecure and replaceable.

Save Yourself The Time

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Pay...Work/Life Balance. paid weekly, off weekends

Cons

poor management at branch, only concerned with big clients, cannot compete with cintas due to outrageous minimums. takes too long to get orders keyed

fire the person handling customer service

Worst nightmare

Current Employee - Service in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Service in Boise, ID

I have been working at UniFirst as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is not bad for the area. Small group of people sales and service work together.

Cons

Hours (60) per week. RSR/DSS is blamed for everything wrong.Branch Manager plays dumb. Uses a language barrier as a fail safe.Garments are poorly shipped. Cross contamination is never ending. Location can not keep staff. They walk off without notice. Broken down trucks all the time. Pay is always wrong. No support from corporate due to management hiding issues. RSR running route without heating or a/c in trucks. Was -11 this week. On and on and on issues never end.

Customers should not be more focused on then your employees.

Great job and an amazing amount of upward mobility!

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Savannah, GA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Upper Management recognizes talent and is quick to promote. Easily spelled out objectives and attainable goals.

Cons

It's sales, if everyone could do it they wouldn't pay as well.

Keep up the great work.