UniFirst

Updated January 30, 2015
3.2

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 16 reviews)

• There are great training programs in place for each position to help you succeed; it is up to you to take advantage of it (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 19 reviews)

• Every single sales rep hits a wall around 39-52 weeks and have to push through it (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

A wonderful environment to work in and be part of.

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Family type atmosphere with a support staff second to none.

Cons

Keeping up with competitor information.

Mike and Ron are fantastic supervisors who put the needs of their employees first and foremost.

The 10 and 2 Company. First glance it looks great... but soon you will be chewing off your own hand to break free

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Last Chance, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Last Chance, NC

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of great contacts; learned a ton about B2B sales; new account only sales led to huge funnel that I took with me; big name with the impression of big results; NJPA connection will get you in many doors.

Cons

Empty promises, capped income, if you kiss enough butt you will move up the ladder but while you are doing that you are stepping on a lot of toes. Oh, and they are not friendly to women. They want the young, spunky anatomy hanging out women to attract business. A woman with character that stands up to the MEN, well.. they figure out a way to get rid of you

Listen to reviews, exit interviews, and fire every dang manager you have in place now. Upper management doesn't have a clue how corrupt the branches are. Or either, they choose to turn a blind eye because of the money they are making their shareholders. HA! Ron Croatti ain't even in the game.. Look at what Cintas and Aramark CEO's are making? Unifirst is small potatoes compared. But oh how you make people feel like you're one big happy family owned and operated company. Happy when you cash that big fat bonus check. Happy that the shareholders are being deceived.

Positive people, positive environment, positive work experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My bosses have my back. They spend a lot of time training me to be successful. I truly believe they care about me.

Cons

High expectations on job performance.

Could give more praises on jobs well done, even if not at company goal.

Great Way to Start your Sales Career

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company has an amazing training program that will help mold the foundation for a great sales career. They allow each individual location to develop their people in their own way. I work in the Pittsburgh location, and the management team is extremely support and motivating. They don't give up on people that they believe in and they continue to work with you in ways to help you reach your goals. There is upward mobility within the company, and your team will work with you to get you where you want to go. The environment at my location is vibrant and fun. Everyone works together to keep the energy positive and high, even when the inevitable bad day comes along. If your looking to jump start your sales career, or even more into a high level sales position, this is where you want to be.

Cons

The job requires a high level of dedication and self motivation, but the hard work pays off.

My 3 years at UniFirst - Senior Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in New Kensington, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in New Kensington, PA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UniFirst has Great Sales Training, a Good team atmosphere, Competitive Salary, and a Understanding management staff. It has allowed me to make a comfortable living and establish relationships that will remain with me for years to come. If your looking to break into the sales world with a company that will teach you the ropes and promotes from within, then UniFirst is the place for you!

Cons

You have to work hard to produce, but thats true with any sales job. If you don't have a strong work ethic then maybe sales isn't for you.

First job out of college, left for other sales position and came back for the long term.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My office culture as a rep was amazing. We had 2 reps and the former sales manager go to President's Club. I know at least 5 people who have moved up in this company based on their work ethic and sales numbers. Competitive base coupled with competitive bonus structure. Admittedly when I left I didn’t see any long term outlook but that has changed greatly since coming back.

Cons

If you have questionable sales managers/location managers this job can be challenging. Every single sales rep hits a wall around 39-52 weeks and have to push through it. Many reps leave because they feel underappreciated.

Great upward mobility

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you show initiative the sky is the limit. It's a job people the good ol days of being in Sales and not having to work are over. Stick to the proven sales process and you can make some serious MONEY. UniFirst does a great job of developing employees and setting them up to move upward in the company.

Cons

A lot of paper work and reporting. Some redundant reporting is expected in any sales organization. The first year used to suck but now there is now a ramp up bonus for the new sales reps which help them make some additional $$ while building the funnel.

Keep up the good work

Great company to grow with

Current Employee - Manager in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement, team atmosphere, this is the large corporation that still has the small company family values and cares about it's employees. Great benefits, continued technology upgrades that help to make each employees job easier. I see a lot of bad reviews on Glass door but any career is what the individual makes of it. Every career takes hard work and with the proven practices and processes of this company anyone can be successful. If you want to be a loose cannon you won't be successful in anything in life. Hard work will pay off for anyone and make you successful.

Cons

As with any company there can be long hours but, that is true with any company. The company is going through some growing pains while it implements new technology but this is a short term issue.

All management needs to say good job more to employees who do well.

Bullies! Mean departments beware.

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Corporate. Not all but there are some bullies out in corporate. Very mean, judge mental, will sit right behind you in a large group and will make fun of you. Here's a hint. If you are a nice sincere person this is not the place for you. You need to be cold hearted and fit into the "clique" if you are an outsider consider yourself a target and be made fun of in their chat. I have worked in many corporate offices and this one Ive seen nothing like it. The worst part is that managers and supervisors are in the "clique" so good luck trying to talk to someone about it. I seriously thought I was loosing my mind. I'm glad the nightmare is over p.s the bullies will walk by your cube to see what you are doing and then tell everyone in their "clique"what you are doing. They are using the corporate chat to talk trash about people and laugh at loud and it hurts that they are so mean and get away with it. Oh yes don't forget I was called stupid right in my face by my supervisor. Isn't that awesome. My current job is nothing like unifirst.

Cons

There's a cafeteria! Good snack free coffee

Keep an eye on the employees. View what they are chatting about. Dont give all the power of your employees to your supervisors. Step up! I heard employees make fun of minorities which is absolutely disgusting.

Good place to start, but could be better

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Thorough training for new hires. Good teamwork with in each department.

Cons

Inconsistent standards and expectations. Communication between service and sales is aweful. benefits are terrible.