UniFirst Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.2

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 12 reviews)

• Good sales training material and now I'm just trying to fill a 20 word minimum (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 13 reviews)

• average sales rep tenure is less than 2 years meaning you don't have any mentors to help you along (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

To make a decent living be ready to commit 60 hours a week

I have been working at UniFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can make a decent living if you are a driven self-starter. Many of the corporate selling skills training are geared toward beginning sales reps. Hence the short tenures of true hunters.

Cons

Everything is based on activities, so as long as you understand you are being tracked hourly not a big deal. If you are a selling machine but have tree bad weeks you will be written up.

Increase incentives and some fun perks for reps and they will stay longer. The revolving door is not because they don't want to work, its because they are not incentifyed

ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at UniFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

good entry level sales position to learn the ropes and prep for your next job. which wont be that far away when you see how much you hate it there. Gm is a generally good guy. Family man. I generally believe he wants the best for his people.

Cons

This is from what I have experienced myself, cant speak for others:

The sales manager is the worst manager/leader/person that I've ever worked under.

off color remarks about race, sex, drugs. profane disgusting language, intimidation by management, constant threat of losing your job, constant talk about personal issues among sales reps.

if you have a family, forget it, you drive them nuts after 3 months due to the stress and anxiety that management puts people through. Revolving door of reps in and out. No credit given for good work.

special favors given to one rep in the office, a generally horrific place to call work, no recourse if you have a legitimate complaint, constant HR issues arising every single day.

Horrible. No other word comes close.

take a hard look at your branch

Short term job with decent pay.

I have been working at UniFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent base salary. Commission structure could be better. Sales reps are pretty helpful.

Cons

Lack of management involvement makes gaining new business difficult. Training program doesn't help with the product, only with the process. Not a long term job. 1-2 years max. Takes 6-16 weeks to get paid on a sale.

Be involved. know the difference between a leader and a boss. Managers at this company are in the boss category.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager

I have been working at UniFirst full-time

Pros

great company to word for over the last 2yrs

Cons

N/A I love being employed here but long hours

Good experience in the delivery industry.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Ocala, FL

I worked at UniFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

The co-workers were nice and the pay was OK.

Cons

The hours are long and the day starts very early in the morning.

Listen to the employees for ways to make the company a better place to work.

If you want a rewarding, fulfilling career, start here but don't finish here

Current Employee - Sales Consultant and Current Job Seeker  in  Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant and Current Job Seeker in Columbia, SC

I have been working at UniFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

Average pay, but bonus structure is awesome.. definite 6 figure income potential (and I'm very close to that level) decent company benefits,
    sales support at corporate level is excellent, in the beginning there is no family/work balance because they push you so hard to reach goals, but the first year it tends to get a little easier.

Cons

Only 5 sick days per year, vacation doesn't accrue so that first year is a nightmare and no time off;
    local management consists of large egos but small brains, I believe they bleed Unifirst green;
    average sales rep tenure is less than 2 years meaning you don't have any mentors to help you along. The quality ones get out, the rest stay and become the property of Ron Croatti.

Increase the pay for the 1st year to compensate for the lack of vacation, time off and excessive hunting required that first year. That's the only way you are going to keep quality people. The management in place is not the answer to the new hire retention and success.
    Promotions should be based on actual knowledge outside the uniform world, not the YES people. Get some new blood in the organization or you will not surpass the bigger players, Cintas and Aramark.
    Unifirst washes clothes.... that's it. It's very simple. Tell your management in place they don't have a medical degree and they aren't solving cancer or world hunger, they are delivering clean clothes to working people. I think they have forgotten that once they too were working people with a family.
    RON CROATTI, IF YOU REALLY LIVE THE VALUES OF YOUR FATHER ALDO, DON'T GIVE LIP SERVICE, REALLY MEAN IT.. UNIFIRST DIDN'T GAIN SUCCESS OFF THE BACKS OF THEIR CLIENTS, IT WAS BECAUSE OF THEM.

Given a REAL Chance to grow!

I have been working at UniFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sales support and education. Experienced sales rep in office as a mentor. Patient Sales Manager, Engaged Regional and Supportive GM!

Cons

iPad education has been spotty. The introduction of the iPad to the sales force without the sales managers having one made learning a bit harder than it should have been.

Corporate decisions should be made with each territory in mind. Things in the South are different than the North.

Good place to work, must sell business.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work schedule stays pretty much the same. Monday thru Friday!

Cons

Company values are best bar none. Compensation could be better but acceptable.

Allow employees who are self starters to spend less time in the office and more time in the field in order to close more business. Better compensation or more of a mileage allowance than what is the standard.

Great place to work, tons of opportunity for growth and learn

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Training, base salary, promotion opportunity, resources provided, size or the overall corporation, overall learning experience with tenured management team

Cons

High turnover if you are not succeeding. Lots of focus on administrative tasks instead of overall process

Keep up the good work

Great place to start and grow your career!

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Floral Park, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Floral Park, NY

I worked at UniFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The sales training is second to none. They make sure you understand the sales process before sending you out in the field. There is a huge opportunity to make a ton of money for this company. They have a great compensation package for anyone looking to start in sales. The products that your pushing are tangible items, and probably some of the best product in the industry. They love to promote from within, if you interested in a career and not a job, this is the company for you. Great support for the sales organization, tons of resources to help with your success. Amazing work life balance! I would recommend working here to anyone!

Cons

Don't focus so much on the little things, focus on the results that are coming in.

Keep pushing to sell larger accounts!! This will get our people paid and to President's Club. Provide the sales force with any resources they need to get the job done.

Worked for UniFirst? Contribute to the Community!