UniFirst

Updated August 17, 2014

3.3

UniFirst Chairman, President, and CEO Ronald D. Croatti
Ronald D. Croatti

Pros
  • Personally I didn't get much from the training program but learned a lot from my two years working here (in 12 reviews)

• Good sales training material and now I'm just trying to fill a 20 word minimum (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good (in 13 reviews)

• average sales rep tenure is less than 2 years meaning you don't have any mentors to help you along (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

The don't care about people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McAllen, TX

Pros

They make you think that you will be hired If you are always on time and no absent!!!

Cons

When they hired you, they said that you were going to have a 2 week training period, after that you were going to start checking your performance and as long as your are always on time they will keep you, well that's a big lie!!, after just a few days they started counting your performance and they are not shy about telling you that you are not doing your quota in front everybody in the break room, they keep hiring every month and just keep their friends because they have a referal program, well now you now how this company works, that is the reason why they are not even members of the BBB. Think about it!!

I was never absent

I'm a route sales representative also known as delivery driver and service.

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Neenah, AL
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Neenah, AL

Pros

Number one thing about being a delivery driver is your boss is not sitting in the truck with you breathing down your shoulder and during the summer you get to enjoy the nice weather.

Cons

Challenges include not getting your proper product for your route, which then the managers seem to think you should have to run a special for. If you have old trucks then we'll like mine it breaks down all the time. You put in long hours anywhere from 55-60 hours a week and the pay for that amount of time is not good..

Don't say that your going to do something and not do it.. Learn to respect your route drivers who are out there doing the dirty work for the company trying to keep the customers happy. Especially when we don't get paid for crap.

Only if you are desperate. Really desperate.

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Pontiac, MI

Pros

Not many to speak of. If I had to say anything positive it is that I could be my own boss, which is good since you'll be in the cold if you wait on management.

Cons

The uniform industry is seriously corrupt and should be regulated. I am convinced that the majority of profit is from bogus service fees and price increases - Unifirst employs mostly former (and likely current) criminals that are desperate as well as immigrants that can't speak a lick of English. This includes all the drivers, office staff and production workers. Having a degree whilst working for Unifirst was torture as I attempted to understand the drivel coming from low IQ zombie workers. Unifirst doesn't know yet that we live in the 21st century and a bulk of any process is driven via paper systems. I repeat: this "green" company goes through reams of paper daily and writing orders is excruciating. They play games with your sales and commissions as well. One week you can't sell certain accounts and the next week you can. I was told that I go after too big of sales and they call this "elephant hunting" - I think they were nervous that if I did sell a big account they wouldn't have the resources to service and get sued by a customer that has the resources to win as opposed to screwing small business owners. Just stay away - stay on unemployment or look for a different job unless you have an IQ lower than 90 and love outdated stuck in the 80's workplace environments.

Please pick up a book or learn to do something that requires intelligence and then apply what you've learned in the workplace instead of being a corporate cronie and drinking the koolaid. Lazy dullards.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over promised, under delivered

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Eugene, OR

Pros

Good Pay
    Great Training
    Excellent room for advancement

Cons

High stress
    High turnover (Eugene, OR)
    Micro-management
    One sales quota nationwide, no local consideration

Structure sales quota and teams per individual region, not all regions are worthy of the same quota

Great company, horrible location!

Pros

Good benefits, good family/work balance

Cons

Management doesn't trust employees, works you to death without adequate pay, doesn't fulfill promises

Learn to trust your employees a little more.

Above average company- many opportunities

Current Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Advancement potential strong, significant incentives for transfering locations.

Cons

How the company bills and sets pricing structure with its customers needs to change. Invoices are insanely complicated with a ridiculous amount of separate charges.
    Company is fairly "tech-backward" and very old school in how they operate. They are making large and rapid strides to catch up on this front, but still somewhat behind their competition.

Company needs to streamline its charges, and roll up the numerous confusing extra charges into one price for one service. Focus more on infrastructure and operational efficiency. Increase attention and resources on the technology front, to better stay at the front of the pack in this area.

15 years and still going

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

Pros

I can say this......I will not even entertain the idea of talking with another uniform co. UniFirst as a Corp. has a true concern for the success of their sales people. They have a performance based compensation plan. Do the job and do it well and you get paid well. Most of the negative reviews about UniFirst come from people who had little time spent as an employee there. GREAT company and people to work for.

Cons

The only cons I see at my location as well as others is in fact on a location level not a Corp level. Management can't seem to focus on what works.......just focus on what works for them.

Quit treating renegade sales people who are at quota like they are a GOD !!!! Believe me the day will come when they crash and burn. Every sales rep should be held to the same standard regardless of their percent to quota or tenure.

Worst Professional Experience Ever

Former Employee - Route Sales Supervisor  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Route Sales Supervisor in Nashville, TN

Pros

Honestly, my experience was so short lived I cannot remember any positives.

Cons

The route professionals were treated as nothing more than delivery-men, not sales professionals. The hours that I observed them work for the pay that they received was definitely not worth it in my opinion. They could have had 2 full time jobs, or even 1 full time and a decent part time job, and made more money while working less hours. In other words, if you broke it down as an hourly position, these guys weren't really making much money at all for 12-15 hrs. a day or more on the job. How can you obtain sales and grow a business as a route sales rep, when it takes everything you've got just to finish the route? That alone, but certainly not the only thing, bred poor customer service issues. Also their contract auto-renewal policy left a poor taste in many customers mouth, but this company only threatened lawsuits. #Marketshare The final straw was witnessing a "Professional" curse out a rep on the dock in front of the entire plant.

DO NOT curse out your people...not at all but, especially, not in front of others. Have a little class. Treat your customers as though they are the reason you are employed.

Just not good at all.

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative

Pros

There is unfortunately just not very much I can say about this company that is good. It may only be certain locations that are not good to work for.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. I worked 13-16 hours a day with this company for 6 years. My customers all loved and praised me but the company refused me of any opportunity for advancement. Their response to my attempts at advancement were to increase my workload and hours. Regrettably there was no pay increase involved with the increase in workload.

Please review your company values and how you treat your employees. If I recall, there were parts within it that encouraged advancement from within. As I said before, this could be a localized issue but it would benefit the corporate office to perhaps eliminate some positions or move those in supervisory roles to other locations. Morale tends to wane within the company among its employees.

This company does not care about its employees

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I do not have any good reasons why to work for this company

Cons

The management team have a very poor out look regarding the staff.

STart caring about the people you employ

Worked for UniFirst? Contribute to the Community!