UniFirst

www.unifirst.com
Employer Engaged

It had potential but management was terrible and HR was a joke

Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Owensboro, KY
    Former Employee - Inventory Analyst in Owensboro, KY

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits weren't bad, the job really wasn't that bad.(if they would just let you do it ). The hours were good

Cons

Management wouldn't listen, its the type of place that unless it was their idea then it wasn't a good one... There were multiple times when the right answer was turned down because "we don't want to hear that" ... The plant in Owensboro needs to be expanded no if and or buts about it, but the VP has been quoted as saying that will never happen while he is still working there... I say fire him and let the business grow ! Its this old school thinking that is the worst part of the company.

Get out of the 80s this is the age of collaboration not "one to rule them all" ... You are no better then the people you hire, start treating them like humans instead of numbers.

Great place to grow!

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can move up the ladder and make a rewarding career out of UniFirst. I have made this my second home and it has been very rewarding and met some great people along the way. Benefits are great and expect to be well off by retirement time.

Cons

It takes time, patience and hard work. There is a lot of training available for any and every position but you have to take the time to get through it.

Find better ways to reward locations and/or employees for doing a great job on all categories.

Worst nightmare

Current Contractor - Service in Boise, ID
    Current Contractor - Service in Boise, ID

I have been working at UniFirst as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is not bad for the area. Small group of people sales and service work together.

Cons

Hours (60) per week. RSR/DSS is blamed for everything wrong.Branch Manager plays dumb. Uses a language barrier as a fail safe.Garments are poorly shipped. Cross contamination is never ending. Location can not keep staff. They walk off without notice. Broken down trucks all the time. Pay is always wrong. No support from corporate due to management hiding issues. RSR running route without heating or a/c in trucks. Was -11 this week. On and on and on issues never end.

Customers should not be more focused on then your employees.

Save Yourself The Time

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Charles, LA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Pay...Work/Life Balance. paid weekly, off weekends

Cons

poor management at branch, only concerned with big clients, cannot compete with cintas due to outrageous minimums. takes too long to get orders keyed

fire the person handling customer service

A wonderful environment to work in and be part of.

I have been working at UniFirst

Pros

Family type atmosphere with a support staff second to none.

Cons

Keeping up with competitor information.

Mike and Ron are fantastic supervisors who put the needs of their employees first and foremost.

The 10 and 2 Company. First glance it looks great... but soon you will be chewing off your own hand to break free

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Last Chance, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Last Chance, NC

I worked at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met a lot of great contacts; learned a ton about B2B sales; new account only sales led to huge funnel that I took with me; big name with the impression of big results; NJPA connection will get you in many doors.

Cons

Empty promises, capped income, if you kiss enough butt you will move up the ladder but while you are doing that you are stepping on a lot of toes. Oh, and they are not friendly to women. They want the young, spunky anatomy hanging out women to attract business. A woman with character that stands up to the MEN, well.. they figure out a way to get rid of you

Listen to reviews, exit interviews, and fire every dang manager you have in place now. Upper management doesn't have a clue how corrupt the branches are. Or either, they choose to turn a blind eye because of the money they are making their shareholders. HA! Ron Croatti ain't even in the game.. Look at what Cintas and Aramark CEO's are making? Unifirst is small potatoes compared. But oh how you make people feel like you're one big happy family owned and operated company. Happy when you cash that big fat bonus check. Happy that the shareholders are being deceived.

Positive people, positive environment, positive work experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My bosses have my back. They spend a lot of time training me to be successful. I truly believe they care about me.

Cons

High expectations on job performance.

Could give more praises on jobs well done, even if not at company goal.

Great Way to Start your Sales Career

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company has an amazing training program that will help mold the foundation for a great sales career. They allow each individual location to develop their people in their own way. I work in the Pittsburgh location, and the management team is extremely support and motivating. They don't give up on people that they believe in and they continue to work with you in ways to help you reach your goals. There is upward mobility within the company, and your team will work with you to get you where you want to go. The environment at my location is vibrant and fun. Everyone works together to keep the energy positive and high, even when the inevitable bad day comes along. If your looking to jump start your sales career, or even more into a high level sales position, this is where you want to be.

Cons

The job requires a high level of dedication and self motivation, but the hard work pays off.

My 3 years at UniFirst - Senior Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in New Kensington, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in New Kensington, PA

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

UniFirst has Great Sales Training, a Good team atmosphere, Competitive Salary, and a Understanding management staff. It has allowed me to make a comfortable living and establish relationships that will remain with me for years to come. If your looking to break into the sales world with a company that will teach you the ropes and promotes from within, then UniFirst is the place for you!

Cons

You have to work hard to produce, but thats true with any sales job. If you don't have a strong work ethic then maybe sales isn't for you.

First job out of college, left for other sales position and came back for the long term.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UniFirst full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My office culture as a rep was amazing. We had 2 reps and the former sales manager go to President's Club. I know at least 5 people who have moved up in this company based on their work ethic and sales numbers. Competitive base coupled with competitive bonus structure. Admittedly when I left I didn’t see any long term outlook but that has changed greatly since coming back.

Cons

If you have questionable sales managers/location managers this job can be challenging. Every single sales rep hits a wall around 39-52 weeks and have to push through it. Many reps leave because they feel underappreciated.