UniWorld Group

UniWorld Group Chairman & CEO Monique Nelson
Monique Nelson

Hire New Talent

I have been working at UniWorld Group

Pros

Flexibility
    Work/ Life Balance
    Growth opportunities
    Opportunity to learn and participate in multiple aspects of the business

Cons

Low pay
    Lack of process/structure
    Need new creative and inspiring talent who is curious, takes risks and aide in growing the business

Hire new and young talent

Hard working team

I worked at UniWorld Group

Pros

A lot of space and personal room. Great personalities in the staff individually. I hear its changing for the better. Bravo to the general staff. They work really hard to keep the business alive and clients happy.

Cons

This castle is about to crumble. With an untrustworthy former CCO, it takes away from the great individuals. The account team is the biggest issue. Not allowing the creative team explore bigger and better ideas. The account team takes the safe route and tries to sell ideas to clients that aren't big or creative.

Get an account team that can have confidence in the strategy, PM, and creative teams.

Unprofessional, amateurish, sinking ship

I worked at UniWorld Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm really struggling to come up with any. This is an agency that had so much potential, given that they were really well positioned to redefine who they are and what the new management wants to do with the company. They have the legacy and still enough goodwill to attract the right talent and clients, but it's been wasted so prodigiously that I can't come up with any real reason to recommend the company.

There is a sense of camaraderie, but it's more along the lines of "we're in this together" commiseration rather than "we're going places".
    Hours are more than decent, but without personal integrity, that means that when there is a crunch on anything, chances are people will not be around because they can leave early and not be accountable for their own work.

Cons

The place is being mismanaged in the most egregious way. Promises are broken left and right. The culture can be described as petty, unprofessional, unethical and extremely amateurish: this isn't a place where the best solution goes forward, but rather where the loudest and most persistent shouter gets their way. Bullying others is the style. When things fail, it often becomes a point-the-finger game, but there's no accountability, so it doesn't really matter.

There is no direction for the company, no real understanding of why we are in business and what clients we should be going after. New projects are few and far between, and when a new one comes in the door, it is often an unprofitable project that is doomed to fail from the beginning for a combination of under-budgeting, capability misrepresentation (promising one thing without understanding the implications of such a commitment) and understaffed teams that are ill-equipped to deal with the needs of the project. New business efforts are poor at best.

There is no digital know-how in the company and the type of questions being asked by senior management about the digital world are embarrassing. Especially when they ask those questions in front of clients. Creative resources are so thin that it is surprising that any work gets done. Creative leadership is non existent and require a complete overhaul. Accounts are working hard on creating relationships with the clients, but they can't make the right connections, resulting in lack of trust with senior clients, or (sometimes unfit) junior clients making poor decisions based on partial or wrong information and without proper education from the agency's teams.

Any talks of inter-departmental collaboration is purely symbolic; the company operates on cliques, and only within those cliques can anything be done across different disciplines. The agency spent a lot of time and money on a coaching company to come in and help create an Honest Corporate Culture, but despite putting all employees through this--frankly torturous--exercise, there has been absolutely no impact on the company. They still operate in silos, competing against each other instead of collaborating, as if it's the early 80's and the only thing they know how to do is hustle.

Perks are the weakest out of any employer I've worked for, and the financial situation of the company had cut down benefits even further: 401K matching, for instance, has been gone for a few years now.

Clean house and decide who you are and what kind of business you're looking to get, or the company simply won't survive. We've all seen how things have been on a steady decline, I'm not sure how much longer that can be sustained.

This Company is Falling Apart

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time

Pros

- Salary is competitive but only because they don't want to lose people
    - You will have the opportunity to work on multiple accounts and projects

Cons

- Company culture is almost non-existent. People work in silos and senior management is untrustworthy.
    - Benefits become worse and worse as the company is trying to save money
    - Not sure how much anyone can grow here.

Clean house, senior staff terribly lacks talent. Just a bunch of instigators.
    For a company who's main capital is people, they treat them badly.

Terrible place to work. Now that they have new leadership, I hope it has gotten better.

Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They sometime pay well.

Cons

Does not value it people at all and won't support you when things get tough.
    Their clies do like them either.
    If they pay well, it's danger money.

Support and take better care of your people.

Not sure if it's a zoo or a circus.

I have been working at UniWorld Group

Pros

The team is very diverse.

Cons

Senoir anagement has no idea what is going on.

dedicated, creative, hard-working team

Former Employee - Strategic Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner in New York, NY

I worked at UniWorld Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

strong creative vision; team members dedicated to flawless execution

Cons

not enough help at the junior/admin level

This place's rich history shows in a good way

Current Employee - Creative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Creative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

From my recent experience at Uniworld Group I have to say it's been a great place to work, and especially a great place to grow.

While I can't speak on the past, the future looks very bright. Everyone here seems driven to making this place better each day and I'm thankful to have been given the opportunity by the CCO Quincy Cherry.

Because of the smaller agency feel, it's like everything you do matters more. This is a place where you can actually have both a creative input and also backing to take ideas from concept to execution.

Have an idea? Let's put it in the suggestion box, vote, then make it happen.

Cons

They push you to do better, work harder and smarter. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Keep up the good work and be open to the idea of collaboration across departments as needed.

It's Like "The Firm." Avoid At All Costs!!

Current Employee - Creative in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Creative in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The checks clear. For now.

Cons

Fear, intimidation, and lies are the norm around here. What they call "management" would be considered bullying anywhere else. Lots of inappropriate behavior and documented sexual harassment. Not at all interested in doing great creative. No matter what the budget, there is never enough to do the project right. Funds just seem to "disappear." (wink-wink.) Current Chief Creative Officer (Quincy Cherry) has a horrible reputation. He has won no new business of significance in years, but managed to lose legacy accounts Burger King and 3 Musketeers. Barely hanging on to Ford. (I know for a fact the client has inquired about moving the business.) Lots of good people either leave, get pushed out, or fired because they refuse to be "controlled" by a overbearing CCO who insists on treating grown-ups like children. No one on the creative side wants to work for or believes in this guy. Tons of people have interviewed for an ECD job (that has been open for years) but no one will bite. And I don't blame them. Anybody who has done their homework knows better than to come work for him, or ever work for him again. Not only is he petty and unprofessional, he pits employees against each other and fosters nothing but a cocoon of hate and resentment.

You're screwed! If you ever wise-up and get rid of Quincy, the overall vibe of this place will be exponentially better.

Outdated

I worked at UniWorld Group full-time

Pros

Compensation seemed to be fair.

Cons

During my time there, there weren't efficient processes among the various departments. Research was outdated, and the creative output seemed to be old and uninspiring. The office was grey and sterile, so it didn't feel like a creative atmosphere.

Establish efficient processes among the various departments. Ensure the Creative Department owns the creative process and output. Hire up-and-coming talent to keep the creative fresh.