UniWorld Group Reviews

UniWorld Group Chairman & CEO Monique Nelson
Monique Nelson

1. Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coming in from a much larger general market agency to UWG has proven to be a very rewarding experience for me. At my previous agency, I was often pushed into a box, and everyone was very territorial about what they considered "their work". As an entry level to now junior employee, I have always felt like my coworkers here were family, and wanted to see me learn and grow. I was welcomed with open arms and opportunities to sit in meetings and offer my thoughts and opinions were always encouraged. I believe my work and growth have expanded exponentially here thus far and I still see room for more. Leadership and direction change can prove to be challenging for long-time employees, but if you're committed to keeping an open mind, try new things and take it to the next level, this is a great place to be (and stay).

Cons

Living through the physical construction to open concept was difficult. Can't wait for the finished result.

Advice to Management

Embrace new.

2. In hindsight, decent place

I worked at UniWorld Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good environment, with quite a bit of team spirit. The staff was quite courteous and friendly, and generally quite easy to work with.

Cons

There were some huge egos to manage, including many at the upper management level. Sadly, it looks like the individuals with the egos took over the place, eventually

Advice to Management

Stop being so full of it, and give time of day to everyone. Recognize and reward talent.

3. Uwg 2.0

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Nice people New space is cool Motivating team Good location Light atmosphere

Cons

Ac gets too cold sometimes

Advice to Management

Continue to hire new talent

By far, the worst place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They used to have great accounts. It's a paycheck (for now).

Cons

You will feel unappreciated, overworked and underpaid because that is exactly what you are. There is a lot of stealing here, and it is a sinking ship. Illegal practices, misappropriation of client dollars. Lack of experience in upper management. Lots of flexing. Little actual muscle. Favoritism, racism and sexual harassment (even with a female CEO). No true leadership. No team work. No morale. No job security. No integrity. No process. No celebration of good talent. No incentive to present good work. No backbone among account leaders. The cheapest solution will always prevail. The culture is non-existent, and actual fights and screaming matches are allowed depending on who is doing the yelling (I can't make this up). You can be thrown under the bus at any moment, in any meeting from anyone at anytime, regardless of whether there is any truth to it or not. Lots of in-fighting and backbiting. UniWorld will suck the life out of you if you don't leave or get fired first (which seems to be the current trend).

Advice to Management

Hire leaders who can get the job done. Value your team. And stop lying.

6. Hire New Talent

Pros

Flexibility Work/ Life Balance Growth opportunities Opportunity to learn and participate in multiple aspects of the business

Cons

Low pay Lack of process/structure Need new creative and inspiring talent who is curious, takes risks and aide in growing the business

Advice to Management

Hire new and young talent

Hard working team

Pros

A lot of space and personal room. Great personalities in the staff individually. I hear its changing for the better. Bravo to the general staff. They work really hard to keep the business alive and clients happy.

Cons

This castle is about to crumble. With an untrustworthy former CCO, it takes away from the great individuals. The account team is the biggest issue. Not allowing the creative team explore bigger and better ideas. The account team takes the safe route and tries to sell ideas to clients that aren't big or creative.

Advice to Management

Get an account team that can have confidence in the strategy, PM, and creative teams.

Unprofessional, amateurish, sinking ship

I worked at UniWorld Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm really struggling to come up with any. This is an agency that had so much potential, given that they were really well positioned to redefine who they are and what the new management wants to do with the company. They have the legacy and still enough goodwill to attract the right talent and clients, but it's been wasted so prodigiously that I can't come up with any real reason to recommend the company. There is a sense of camaraderie, but it's more along the lines of "we're in this together" commiseration rather than "we're going places". Hours are more than decent, but without personal integrity, that means that when there is a crunch on anything, chances are people will not be around because they can leave early and not be accountable for their own work.

Cons

The place is being mismanaged in the most egregious way. Promises are broken left and right. The culture can be described as petty, unprofessional, unethical and extremely amateurish: this isn't a place where the best solution goes forward, but rather where the loudest and most persistent shouter gets their way. Bullying others is the style. When things fail, it often becomes a point-the-finger game, but there's no accountability, so it doesn't really matter. There is no direction for the company, no real understanding of why we are in business and what clients we should be going after. New projects are few and far between, and when a new one comes in the door, it is often an unprofitable project that is doomed to fail from the beginning for a combination of under-budgeting, capability misrepresentation (promising one thing without understanding the implications of such a commitment) and understaffed teams that are ill-equipped to deal with the needs of the project. New business efforts are poor at best. There is no digital know-how in the company and the type of questions being asked by senior management about the digital world are embarrassing. Especially when they ask those questions in front of clients. Creative resources are so thin that it is surprising that any work gets done. Creative leadership is non existent and require a complete overhaul. Accounts are working hard on creating relationships with the clients, but they can't make the right connections, resulting in lack of trust with senior clients, or (sometimes unfit) junior clients making poor decisions based on partial or wrong information and without proper education from the agency's teams. Any talks of inter-departmental collaboration is purely symbolic; the company operates on cliques, and only within those cliques can anything be done across different disciplines. The agency spent a lot of time and money on a coaching company to come in and help create an Honest Corporate Culture, but despite putting all employees through this--frankly torturous--exercise, there has been absolutely no impact on the company. They still operate in silos, competing against each other instead of collaborating, as if it's the early 80's and the only thing they know how to do is hustle. Perks are the weakest out of any employer I've worked for, and the financial situation of the company had cut down benefits even further: 401K matching, for instance, has been gone for a few years now.

Advice to Management

Clean house and decide who you are and what kind of business you're looking to get, or the company simply won't survive. We've all seen how things have been on a steady decline, I'm not sure how much longer that can be sustained.

9. This Company is Falling Apart

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time

Pros

- Salary is competitive but only because they don't want to lose people - You will have the opportunity to work on multiple accounts and projects

Cons

- Company culture is almost non-existent. People work in silos and senior management is untrustworthy. - Benefits become worse and worse as the company is trying to save money - Not sure how much anyone can grow here.

Advice to Management

Clean house, senior staff terribly lacks talent. Just a bunch of instigators. For a company who's main capital is people, they treat them badly.

10. Terrible place to work. Now that they have new leadership, I hope it has gotten better.

Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Management in New York, NY

I have been working at UniWorld Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They sometime pay well.

Cons

Does not value it people at all and won't support you when things get tough. Their clies do like them either. If they pay well, it's danger money.

Advice to Management

Support and take better care of your people.

11. Not sure if it's a zoo or a circus.

Pros

The team is very diverse.

Cons

Senoir anagement has no idea what is going on.

RSS Feed </> Embed