Unicom Reviews

Chris Earle

1. Great people great place to work

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Hartford, CT

I worked at Unicom full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management will listen to what you have to say they were a family company.

Cons

salary was not as what I would expect

Advice to Management

I wish I was still working for this company great place

"Growth" by acquisition

I have been working at Unicom full-time

Pros

Great people in the office in which I worked, but the same cannot be said for what management is present outside the office.

Cons

This company grows by acquiring companies, not by building solid relationships with existing clients or building a broader pipeline of clients. They have a non-compete document from hell, and use intimidation techniques when bringing new folks into the organization through acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to grow by acquisition and take care of your clients. Buying distressed firms (USRobotics, GTSI, etc.) just makes things worse. The founder-president-CEO needs to stop thinking he is the smartest man in the universe, and actually listen to people who work for him.

Crushed our Product Development, QA, and Support Organizations: Look Elsewhere for a ITIL/ITSM solution

Former Employee - Software QA Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software QA Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Unicom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with a dedicated local team initially

Cons

Shortly after being acquired our company IET Solutions saw dramatic changes forced upon us by the Unicom Management team. In an effort to improve margins we stopped developing our product, the QA organization was let go, and even the product/customer support group was terminated. The office in the US was reduced to 3 staff members. Ultimately only the German team remains to support and maintain an aging product line that is relying on existing customer renewals of maintenance for revenue. Look elsewhere for an ITIL or ITSM product. The executive team of Unicom Global that acquired IET Solutions was nothing short of deceiptful and ruthless.

Advice to Management

Stick with buying intellectual property that can be resold on high margin. Stay away from companies involving people that support clients

5. disgusting place to work

Pros

none, nothing, nay, nil, nada,

Cons

words can not describe, see: OFCOM

Advice to Management

find a new job before it gets closed down

the worst place i have ever worked

Former Employee - Sales Man in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Man in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

0, nothing at all! Not a single positive thing about this place

Cons

heres a pad of old data and a phone now sell sell sell!! Terrible product, terrible people! I had meningitis while i worked here and was hounded by my manager to get into work asap! (while i was in hospital seriously ill) they didnt like me attending midwives appointments with my wife, best thing i ever did was walk out of this place!

Advice to Management

Close down!

7. absolutely terrible avoid at all costs

Former Employee - RENEWALS ADVISOR in Northenden, England (UK)
    Former Employee - RENEWALS ADVISOR in Northenden, England (UK)

I worked at Unicom (Less than a year)

Pros

Non what so ever, complete cowboy company they lie to get what they want daily, and this was at head office.

Cons

Monday to Friday 9-6, everything is going to the same conclusion within this company. Be prepared to lie and have no competent training what so ever, hated giving it 1 star, they need to be reported to trading standards for the pathetic excuse of a company, I was sure whilst I was there they were breaking standard trading rules, don't give a crap about customers, whilst I was on the phone my supervisor would deem it suitable to start shouting derogatory comments about the women on the team, whilst I had to explain to a female customer who had heard everything my supervisor had said, about 20 apologies later from myself and about 30 minutes on the phone, was told off for spending too much time on the phone and I was to apologetic, covering for the management and their sexist and disgusting thoughts and comments, I had to walk after only 6 weeks due to the way staff was ttreated, felt belittled and undermined in everything you do there. Also be prepared for a few days training even at head office your there to make them money nothing more nothing less, absolute horrible con job, please heade this advice AVOID AVOID AVOID UNICON at all costs, unless you don't want a soul at the end of it.

Advice to Management

just close, why does this joke shop of a company even exist, you threaten people if they speak out about you, have threads removed if they "DISS" you, your company acts like the freaking MAFIA of the telecoms profession, staff hate it hear not one customer I spoke to liked Unicon they all claimed to being missold at point of sale can't say I blame them felt I had to continue the lie, I left I wanted to keep my soul intact.

8. Stay Clear of this Amateurish and Unprofessional Company

Former Employee - Telesales Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Telesales Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

It is difficult to think of anything positive to say about this UK telecomms company other than you may get the occassional laugh throughout the day especially from the two managers (Colin and Ritchie) at the Glasgow office.

Cons

There are plenty of Cons in this company. The salary is woeful to say the least (minimum wage) and forget about making much in the way of commissions (promised by the managers at the interview). It is an extremely hard sale going over the same lists hour after hour, day after day and any appointments you do get will rarely make you much more than 20 quid. When you eventually do decide to quit you can wave goodbye to the previous two months commissions as it's written in the contract that you 'Will Not Receive Commissions Once you Leave'. So beware of entering this place at your own peril!!!

Advice to Management

I understand that you're only looking after yourselves and your own monthly salaries but a touch of decency and integrity with your staff would go a long way.

All right at first

I worked at Unicom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laugh-a-minute at the office, colleagues nice and friendly, informal easygoing environment

Cons

I was only there three days. I thought it was going to be all right at first. But on my fourth day, I got snapped at by a manager for being "late" - er, my scheduled start was 0900, and I was there at 0850. He said staff are supposed to arrive by 0845. I asked repeatedly if staff were being paid from that time, and it took me ages to get a straight answer, which turned out to be in the negative. I said that I wasn't happy about being expected to work for free at any point of my working day. He said it was "only" 15 minutes. Well it might be now, but then it'll probably extend to 30, then 45, then 60...I said if he wants staff there from 0845, he needs to pay them from that time, even if it doesn't seem that much to him. He said it's so he can give us a team briefing, to "motivate" us for the day. I asked why he can't do that at 0900, and his reasoning was it would take time away from us making calls. What, and his BS games of Charades and Musical Chairs don't (no, I'm not making that up)? The best bit was that when he had a pop at me for being late, he was coming in at exactly the same time as me - so if he's reading this, you're a hypocrite. Anyway, I told him I had no wish to carry on working there and he couldn't believe I was quitting for the sake of "only" 15 minutes. But 15 minutes, 2 hours, makes no odds.

Advice to Management

You don't get my time for free. If 0845 is the mandatory start time, then ADVERTISE it as that and PAY staff from that time. Otherwise, you are misrepresenting the job to applicants. And what would happen to telesales staff who misrepresented a product to customers? They'd get sacked for gross misconduct! So if any managers are reading this, please feel free to explain why you seem to have one rule for management and another for staff.

IT RUINED MY LIFE

Current Employee - Telecom Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Telecom Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros

Meeting nice co-workers apart from that nothing.

Cons

Now I'm not one to actually write reviews about companies, but with this I feel it is necessary just so I can make people aware of what Unicom is - FULL OF LIES. I'm 18 and I actually quit a course just so I could work here, because stupidly I thought it would be worth it. I'm a very friendly mature, young woman, who works hard and tries their best with everything. Now with this company you are working ridiculous times from 9-6pm mon-fri. But you HAVE to be in at 8:45am why wasn't this stated in the job title?!?! And you don't get paid for those 15 minutes, it’s just a "brief meeting" of oh let’s play some charades or football and musical chairs and it would give us that luck of getting appointments. Honestly what a JOKE. I felt like since I was the youngest, that I'm in a different mind-set than the rest. Now with my pitch which I had to write up twice because "it was wrong and too long" but the manager said it was not exactly right in the end so I was left confused of what to say, and the most important bits such as knowing what voip is and the percentages that Unicom "offers" I wasn't actually told! and when I was on the phones literally calling after calling and calling, I put the phone down just to think about what to say for my next and to reflect on what customers were saying I got told off every time just for resting for like 10 seconds!!! And was forced to get back on the phones when I literally had been calling non-stop. Then I look around the room and people are having conversations or are on their phones? I have only been here for 7 days and I was still trying to process everything. But on my second day of work I got told that I made 74 calls and that 200 is the bare minimum I was left agitated because I had spent the day and the day before in training for my pitch so I couldn't do a lot of calls. The manager is always angry at the amount of appointments we all try to make and say it’s not good enough. I feel so sorry for the rest of the people there trying their hardest at making appointments. The manager comes out and says it’s so "easy" to make these appointments, but seriously it’s so hard. When I started I was told to wear very smart black trousers/skirt and white shirts and black cardigans, so of course I went out and brought a dozen of these, and when I came in everyone was wearing white tops different coloured cardigans the whole lot. Plus the management are bullies, one of them was laughing and swearing about this man who was one of his employee’s and claimed that he smelt so bad, now that isn't his fault, maybe it’s because of all the stress you put on people who have just started! They have nothing better to do than to talk about employees behind their backs! I felt so angry at this!! And the next day he never returned, he was a lovely guy. So you just never know if they are talking behind YOUR back they are very two faced people who only care about the money they are getting and not worrying about how employees are feeling. Though, I've got to say the best thing about this company is the colleagues I have met, all are very kind and helped me with my pitch on what to say and actually give me feedback on my performance, I hope I stay in contact with them for a long time. Yesterday, I walked out at lunchtime, and before that everyone was worried on that I was very quiet that day and I told them I wasn't happy, even one person in the management team and that person said that you shouldn't worry about getting appointments to just try and talk to the customers, but why have they been pressuring me to get appointments all day long? Even setting me targets. Honestly, the management team are very disgusting literally touching girls and touched me on my shoulders, just being very crude and sexist, they all have woman at home why touch/speak to your female employees like that? They all might say its ok, but it really isn't they should be setting examples to their staff. I know when I walked out it was wrong of me and very unprofessional I totally get that, But I felt that they'd try and leer me back in if I spoke to them. So today I tried to call up my manager to apologise of how unprofessional I was yesterday and I was put through to one of the second managers, and my manager didn't want to speak to me, now isn't that unprofessional of him to not want to speak to me? This isn't high school mate! How rude of him! It honestly really upset me because I thought different of him. The head of the company, a good man actually came in last week and had a go at my manager and honestly he deserved it, he isn't very good at managing the place! I've been actually offered a new job and I know it will be heaps better than Unicom. A lot of people don't even stay here for long, because they just fire them. PLEASE DON'T WORK HERE unless you want to worry about if you are going to get fired or not, because your job is always on the line.

Advice to Management

Needs to be examined.

The worst place I have ever worked!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

It's a job that will hire anyone. Other than that, nothing.

Cons

Everything! The basic pay is well below minimum wage and sales were few and far between for non management (who were given better, newer data by all accounts) Targets seemed somewhat unrealistic. No duty of care to staff. Management could not care less if you were having a bad time. Immature, sexist environment with male employees constantly ogling, speaking inappropriately about and making passes at female staff members. No respect for the people being called, and staff lied in almost every pitch. Upper management seemed to be a little concerned with the lies we were being encouraged to tell so that tells me there might be something very dodgy going on there. Data was out of date and in some cases wrong, and in my time there I heard and made quite a few calls to people registered to not receive marketing calls. Ridiculously strict late and sick penalties saw many staff punished for being late on the same day despite all having been stuck in an unavoidable traffic jam, and some staff coming in while exceptionally sick to ensure they were not deducted any wages. Management sometimes left staff to hit floor targets alone and instead chatted or played pingpong. Breaks are very short and strictly monitored. The is zero job security! New recruits are taken on weekly because staff are regularly fired for not meeting targets, being late too often or simply not fitting in. No canteen or staff room. Targets have no leeway I.e someone was threatened with the sack because their call time wasn't high enough, but not one customer had answered the phone in hours. Unless you fit in with the loud, abrasive and somewhat perverted management you will not make friends here. Half the staff spent most of the day looking degraded, demoralised and depressed. Hours are not 9-6, it's 8:30-6 and if you are late by 1 minute for whatever reason, you have to stay until 6:30 Be late by 15 minutes and stay behind until 7, and in some cases get only half a day's pay or suffer some other deduction or even get sacked. Many staff smoked weed and if women weren't being talked about, weed was, or sometimes football. All together just the least professional most demoralising hell hole in creation. Try everywhere else before working here!

Advice to Management

Stop employees lying on the phone, check data in the handbooks is correct (lots wasn't) and for God sakes get computers!

RSS Feed </> Embed