Unidine

Food Cost.

Employee (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Unidine full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent pay and a great fresh food concept, poorly managed, but great concept!

ConsPoor organization, expensive benefits, shady company/office politics, terrible work platforms, way out of date Information technology, unreasonable expectations, does not value the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to put the customer first at the expense and exploitation of the great people that work for you. Integrity and trust are worth way more than the dollar you sell out for. Your song and dance fools a lot of people, at first, but when the curtain is pulled back you are exposed and its a shame to see a company with such good intentions turn out to be empty, meaningless, words on paper in regards to how they treat their people.

I am a former employee, not bitter about Unidine, but disappointed in so much that I was told to get me in the door only to seek employment elsewhere. It was the shortest time I have ever spent with a company and I have always been a dedicated, hardworking member of upper management. The list of wrongs is much longer than the list of rights and I can only tell anyone what I experienced and that is FOOD does cost, it cost you time, effort, energy, sanity, patience, and dignity. Read the reviews and you will find some disgruntled/negative ratings but look beyond the emotion and ask yourself why would someone take the time to write a review? Do your due diligence before signing on to join the Unidine team, it was not a healthy experience for me...I hope at the very least this encourages you to dig a bit deeper and ask the tough questions and try to pull the curtain back and see for yourself.

I have been in management at Unidine for less than a year

I have been working at Unidine full-time

ProsFresh food concept is good and can be carried out with the right people in place.

ConsDon't care about people at all. Dishonest, corporate support is a JOKE! Fill out a help ticket and wait....until you get in trouble for not doing what you filled out a help ticket for?
They want to grow, but use severely outdated IT systems? Talk of Unidine acquiring another company?? They can't handle what they have!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry taking stock of your most valuable asset, people in the trenches!
Lower benefit costs, invest back in to the company.

unidine

Chef Manager (Current Employee)
Ticonderoga, NY

I have been working at Unidine full-time for more than a year

Prosall fresh no box foods

Consthey don't listen to staff all time management not always right

Advice to Senior Managementlook out for your staff

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Corporate Dining job for restaurant line cooks looking for quality of life.

Line Cook (Current Employee)
New Milford, CT

I have been working at Unidine full-time for more than a year

ProsUses a mix of fresh and purchased items making it enjoyable to prepare but not over the top stressful.

ConsCleaning tasks became lengthy and boring.

Overall a tremendously rewarding professional experience - working with passionate culinarians and professionals

I have been working at Unidine full-time

ProsRapidly growing organization that offers a superior and unique product. Accelerated career growth - and the ability to advance professionally and financially much faster than at competitors that are losing market share and stagnating. People that work hard and produce are promoted. Slackers and underperformers don't last long here.

ConsAll Unidine employees do "heavy lifting". You need to love your job and work hard at it all the time. No place to hide. There are no corner offices where you can put your feet up and delegate. A young, aggressive company that doesn't have all of the "bells and whistles" that the competitors offer. Benefits have improved dramatically but are still more expensive than competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to share the "fruits" of your team's labors.

Honesty is not their policy

Boston, MA

I worked at Unidine full-time for less than a year

ProsThey do pay more than similar companies

ConsManagement lies, disorganized, corporate culture a sham, lots of backstabbing and butt covering, benefits are ridiculous

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees the tools to succeed, insteadof having a sink or swim attitude. Understand that a business can not be built on the expectation of 16 hour days from your managers

If only true to their own mission!

Boston, MA

I worked at Unidine full-time for more than a year

ProsAt unit levels, this contract company in my tenure, had a great product with superior culinary talent than their competitors in all of it's sectors.

ConsDysfunctional Leadership from the top down, with all management employees in fear of their future, and/or expectations. a company T/O is never kept up, cause it changes so rapidly. You are truly only as good as your last mistake. Technology resources are at least 5-7 years behind with little or no input from end users in order to improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO needs to seek first to understand, then be understood, so he knows who to trust and listen to. To quote, Et tu Brute!

Management turnover HUGE red flag

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Unidine full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany's concept is a fresh approach and with the correct leadership could become a rival to larger contract food service companies.

ConsManagement turnover is incredibly high. This seems to be due to the fact that unrealistic expectations are set at the CEO level. Managers, at al levels, disappear on a daily basis. Benefit premiums are 200% of what I experienced at other comparable companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is growing quickly and when you do not surround yourself with long term employees with whom you have developed trust, you will crash and burn. I have had a successful career in this industry for over 15 years and I believe your human capital is the most valuable. I believe this CEO will only "learn" some valuable HR lessons the first time a wrongful termination suit is brought against him.

Tough food to swallow

I worked at Unidine full-time

ProsAwesome team members who have a lot of heart and passion (depending on what department or kitchen your work for).

ConsThe CEO is a micromanager with impossible rules, procedures, and goals. Unidine is a food company, amazing food should be done with passion not in a combat militant environment. There is a lot of turnover here. DAILY! The management team is unstable because you are here one day and gone the next. The benefits are horrible!!!!! Employees pay 90% of their premiums. No work life balance at all. 2 weeks vacation is granted after 1 year of service. New moms to be or current moms need NOT apply! You are wasting your time!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to reach their potential. Unidine can go so far if the CEO would appreciate his employees. At this rate, all I see is unions and higher turnover. I wont be surprised if all Unidine simply just walks out and leaves the CEO hanging. It can happen. The CEO is the poison to the madness at Unidine and its unstable future.

Flawed Leadership

I worked at Unidine full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company offers good business concepts, and theoretically represents a great opportunity. I believe they have a true willingness to provide quality services to their client firms.

ConsThe CEO is smart but is a flawed personality. He is a micromanager (i.e., inappropriately at this level), mercurial in his demeanor and mood; frequently contradicts himself with regard to directives and priorities, making good consistent performance nearly impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO must hire good people and then let them do what they are hired to do.

Worked for Unidine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unidine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unidine CEO Richard Schenkel. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Unidine employees.