Unified Grocers

Updated May 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Al Plamann

Happy with the time i as here.

Order Selector (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsGreat pay, great hours, good company. Flexible schedule and great location for me at least!

ConsTime to pull the orders is real tight!! Need more time!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider that many of us need this experience to get better at this job and for future jobs. Try to be understanding of tjhe rough days!

Great place to work.

ProsSet hours for most jobs and many of the employees have been here for years.

ConsThere has been some downsizing in different departments as they consolodate and maximize profits.

Not so good in the customer service department

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBenefits, stable company, large company.

ConsIn the department I worked in there were issues with regards to management using intimidation as a means of managing the employees. Also, because the department only employed women there was the whole gossiping and clique thing going on. They used too many different programs instead of one that could do everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe team was very much unhappy with the supervisor. I found her to be rude and unprofessional.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Old fashioned company, mired in the past; average leadership capability

Management (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsNice folks, dedicated to doing a good job, in spite of antiquated processes and leadership philosophy.New leadership under Bob seems to be making some positive social changes that employees appreciate.

ConsSalaries were not competitive, opportunities for development were limited
    Leadership capability is limited to a 1950's philosophy - very old school and white male- very evident under the prior Plamann regime
    Treatment of women and minorities fits in with that 1950's perspective - at times hostile work environment, discrimination of minorities evident and not corrected

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an active step to eliminate poorly performing managers who create a climate that is disengaging and unsatisfying to employees.

It's the best employer I have ever worked for!!

Acct Rec-Spoc-Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsIt is a stable company with long term employment and great benefits that
    you can promote, but now with only an educational background.

ConsWith our economics they have had to downsize quite a bit, which has never been
    seen before as much as now. Sales are down, retailers are closing/selling stores.
    Its

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees really work hard for years without college that would like to move up in the company and now it is very hard to do so to get recognize without some type of a degree to move up.

Overall a nice place to work, but corporate has some real loons working for it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South Seattle, WA

ProsFriendly co-workers, on site cafeteria vending machines that won't kill you.

ConsCorporate doesn't understand how the Seattle plant works, and instead of trying to learn about it, they force bad ideas down your throat instead.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the bosses the autonomy to keep people based on merit, not length of service.

Overall this is a great company to work for. Their benefit package and salaries are better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

ProsGreat benefit package and salary.
    Employees usually renain here for years.

ConsEmployees usually renain here for years.

Don't expect any help along the way....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Livermore, CA

ProsMany of the employees are very sharp, smart and know what they're doing. There's a lot of very useful information to be gleaned from them.

ConsUpper management has a vision, but lacks the foresight to make use of the brainpower they have in the offices.

Challenging

ProsGreat benefits if you stay long
    lots of projects and initiatives

ConsThe process which raises are based on
    Performance review are not accurately affected

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication

Excellent Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsNone that I am aware of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the great job.

Worked for Unified Grocers? Contribute to the Community!