Unify

Unify Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Unify CEO Dean Douglas

Dean Douglas

Pros:
  • "Has great people who are the company's best asset, with long experience and extensive industry know how"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Good team spirit - nice working environment"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Stagnant salaries and no raises in the past five years"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Over worked, poor product quality, poor leadership, No 401K match, No Pension and now significant cuts to health care benefits"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not a good situation

Middle Management (Current Employee)

ProsWe have fallen so low that there isn't much further we can go. The people, for the most part, are still very good to work with.

ConsDropping market share, layoff, outsourcing, offshoring, continued cost cutting every quarter, no 401k match, forced vacation useage, no bonuses paid last year, no bonuses forecasted for this year, poor quality products, no training or career development, ridiculous bureaucracy, no empowerment for employees, no risk taking but a lot of blaming, cluessless and incompetent senior management, and on and on . . .

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the product portfolio, fix the product quality, get rid of the massive HQ overhead that is uselss, get on with re-branding. When are you going to realize that just changing top executives is not going to solve our problems. We need a real strategy, not just confussing words on a .ppt slide. Make the tough decisions to exit business segments and provide focus so we can actually do a few things well, vs. a lot of things poorly.

Products not user friendly and a company stuck in the 80s

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of vacation time. In fact, the best vacation package I have ever seen at a company anywhere at any time.

ConsKeeping the comments focused on working for this company, the problems I see are numerous. But keeping with the most important ones. The work atmosphere right now is one of incredibly low morale. The company was purchased by a private equity firm in 2008 and since that time has downsized every year and continue to downsize even further. The latest wave of reductions seems very arbitrary in nature and senior management was given an edict based on numbers versus logic.

The products produced by the company are not user-friendly, lack proper and effective documentation, are overly complex and difficult to implement, and are a significant drain on services resources. This makes serviceability an incredibly difficult challenge, yet, no significant changes have ever been made in the development organization's management structure. Internal groups volley attacks at one another versus working together cohesively to resolve incidents and improve the product. Customer facing websites are not on par with the competition and have a look and feel that is very outdated. All of these challenges lead to a stream of customer complaints.

The company says it wants to compete with the leaders in the industry, yet, none of its moves align with these concepts. There simply are not enough people to do the work and yet the company continues to cut and slash.

Anyone working there only has time to fight the fire of the day. There simply are not enough people to focus on strategically moving the company forward. Customers complain about service (not responsive enough) and serviceability (products not user-friendly or easy to setup / support), yet the company continues to cut service personnel and makes no changes in the development team. There is something inherently wrong with this.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to start seeing success in North America, start behaving like a North American company instead of a European company. Drive improvements in the development cycle so the products are more user friendly and the websites are on par with the competition.

My 1989 Mustang was once a great car. But now it is just an old broken down junk pile.

Middle Management (Former Employee)

ProsStill has Siemens name recognition
    Opportunity to learn technology
    Pay is at market or above
    Vacation benefit is generous (no other benefits are)

ConsLittle career development due to shrinking company
    Constant churn in management, new management makes the same mistakes as the ones before them
    Morale is so low it cannot be measured

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote internals and stop hiring so much management from the outside.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can they find a way to survive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

ProsGlobal presence and distributed management team

ConsSiemens has little to no positive brand recognition in the market place. Compared to the competition, Siemens rarely rates higher than 4th or 5th place in their respective product categories. Sales professionals seldom stick around longer than a year or two. Declining customer base, layoffs, customer complaints and escalations are just a way of life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to reevaluate all levels of the entire management team.

Layoff's Furlows and benfits take backs

Sales Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWhen the company was wholly owned by Siemens AG it was agreat place to work. The employees were treated like assets. The technology was leading edge. The work was challenging and exciting.

ConsSiemens AG sold 51% interest in the company. The employees were mistreated. The company attitude was find another job if you don't like the way you are being treated. Management provided no guidance. Layoffs were numerous and occurred regularly. Benefits were cut significantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees with respect and provide help. The beatings will continue until morale improves metality does not encourage people to work hard.

Its all down hill from here

Sales Executive (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat People
    Lots of PTO that you are too bz to take

Conspay
    no 401k match
    no future
    Private equity owner Gores Group will not invest or tolerate any reduction in their profits

Advice to Senior Managementget a plan and stick with it

Stay away - Run by Private Equity Firm

Network Engineer (Former Employee)
    Rochester Hills, MI

ProsSome team members are sharp.
    Managed services team is protected due to billable hours, so some career stability.
    Healthcare is a good stable field to be involved in.

ConsNo 401K Match
    Pay is not competetive
    No bonus structure outside of management
    No career road map
    Stressful fishbowl work environment
    lack of strong leadership
    lack of positive leadership
    Good old boy management network
    Turnover is high
    Run by private equity firm

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees based on performance, and reinstate merit based annual performance reviews and raises. Reduce the number of managers.

Average to below salary and working environment

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

ProsSiemens Enterprise division was acquired by Gores Group. Key product is OpenScape Voice which is a IP PBX soft switch running on Linux OS. Pretty innovative product that is highly secured.

ConsPM salary is relatively low compared with other high tech industry. Not much access to analyst research reports. Employer's contribution on 401K plan not reinstated after the 2008 -2009 great recession.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better pay and incentive to employees. Provide extensive research material for product and developers to learn new technologies.

Horrendous journey with SEN - should have stayed at competitor

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Reston, VA

ProsName, individual contributors, products.....history and commitment of some to improve things by others. Initially good travel policy (no now), good training (not now)...

ConsManagement (a shambles), ego's (in management), private equity = no investment, no benefits (no 401k), low salaries no rises, no strategy, no perks, was told by management that we need to work harder...and ignored

Advice to Senior ManagementShape up or ship out, need a change. You cant just shout louder at people that have no resources, no motivation....

No one will ever decide anything

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)
    Auburn Hills, MI

ProsMostly good people work here. Some middle management can be tough to deal with, but if you are on the right team, there are some great people here.

ConsNo one will ever decide anything. Ever. There is such a fear of angering the customer that no one will ever make a final decision for fear of jeopardizing the contract. All talk, no results.

No career advancement plan, what-so-ever. Don't plan on ever doing anything other than what you were originally hired for. If you do get more responsibility, they'll tell you "this isn't an HR or money promotion"

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with the customer to develop a 5 year plan with clearly defined goals and objectives. Give employees a clear goal to work for and have someone with the authority to work with the customer to make a final decision.

Worked for Unify? Contribute to the Community!

Unify Videos

Unify – Why Work for Us?

Welcome to a unified world. Unify, formerly Siemens Enterprise Communications, is a global communications software and services company. Our new name reflects perfectly what we do: we unify our customers… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unify reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unify CEO Dean Douglas. All 157 reviews posted anonymously by Unify employees.