Unilever

Unilever Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Pros
  • Work/life balance is fair but seems to be getting worse each year(in 56 reviews)

• Flexible working hours, great remuneration and understanding line managers(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate(in 44 reviews)

• decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation(in 25 reviews)

Ok

Senior Scientist (Current Employee) Trumbull, CT

ProsNice people, good benefits, easy to implement new ideas given the size.

ConsSeems to be completely run by white European men, not a lot of diversity.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within more

They do not care about there employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits. Good co- workers

ConsManagement was terrible. Corporate shut down Atlanta plant after management ran it into the ground. no home life and they care more about bottom line than people.

Not a great environment. They are pushing out older, experienced employees.

Customer Planning Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team despite challenges. You can learn a lot at this company

ConsHorrible managment, pressure cooker. Too many conference calls and not enough time to actually DO your job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

U will love working here; I'm Love it!!

Senior CHEMIST (Current Employee) Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsCompetitive salary, great benefits, vacation, Personal days, holidays, great peers, nice working environment web- seminars, good work/life balance, discount product and working with amazing products be innovated and so far great leadership.

ConsUnfortunately, the company has suffered turn over recently years. However great people has been hired and compensated for the loss. Unilever would like to address the issue but sometimes is not that easy( time after time). As a large organization is easy to get lost... Unilever is a trustworthy company who respects their employees and cares their well being.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing is perfect!!!. Every large organization has weakness and strengths. Reinforce the strength and address the weakness.

Great company to develop your career: Come in and welcome on board!!!

Chemist (Current Employee) Englewood, NJ

ProsGreat benefits, Great salary, bunch of holidays, half Fridays off, training, Great team, Wonderful brands, upward career mobility, Interact with different departments , organized and moral values. the message is very clear: Come in and welcome at board!!!.
    Rewarding fast pace environment, do not mind to stay after hours, the deadlines are getting done and accomplished new lines of launches. Perfect place to grow and make friends around the world. Get the hint: Unilever is recruiting many L'Oreal employees due lost on their career path. Many are succeeding and moving forward in their positions.

ConsNothing to say. I 've worked for 5 international companies, None of them could satisfy my career development as Unilever does. Needless to say, Unilever recognizes talent and delivers results.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep doing an amazing job!!! Continue hiring great people.

Look beyond the surface

Brand Manager (Former Employee) Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsGlobal company with strong personal and food brands, brand building focus, brand management training, company attempts to deliver work-life balance and sustainability

Conspromotion beyond Director-level difficult, can get highly political, employee morale is generally low, location/commuting from NYC, zero HR assistance, challenge to move from Foods division to Personal Care division

Advice to Senior Managementfocus less on politics and focus more on employee development/retention

Great company to work for, bad company to be a "contractor" for.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Trumbull, CT

ProsEmployees were treated very well. Often they had food brought in on the company, many workshops about health and wellness, company get-togethers and events. They were well paid, had good vacation time, and they were treated like human beings. Unilever employees had it good.

ConsWhen I was there, they had tried to pass me off as a "Contractor" while actually treating me like an employee. The state of Connecticut has very specific rules about what constitutes each type of worker, so make sure that you check into this if you are going to become an "Independent Contractor" for Unilever.

It's not bad insofar as you get paid well, but you are ineligible for a lot of the benefits that Unilever employees get, including unemployment - which is the biggest problem if they decide to terminate you at any point.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, for one I'd be careful classifying people as independent contractors and treating them like employees, but beyond that... My situation was a bit unique. I didn't have any room for growth as I was the sole member of the department I hailed from. I didn't have a lot of oversight because no one really understood what I did. It seems like management throughout the rest of the company spends a lot more time checking in on everyone.

Good

Tax Accountant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat flex hours in summer

Conslarge bureaucratic company, too much PDP focus

Like any workplace, has its pros and cons

Finance (Current Employee) Englewood, NJ

ProsFlexible work hours (summer hours)
    Great 401k match (almost 10%)
    Global resources/brands/opportunities
    A brand name that people recognize externally

ConsDepending on your function, politics can play a big role
    At the analyst/associate level, under-rewards the top performers relative to the mean
    Changes happen slowly b/c of org size (battleship, not rowboat)
    Can definitely feel like just a cog in a massive machine
    High turnover in recent years

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your top performers if you want them to stay (adopt the Netflix model)

Great People and are passionate about making a difference

Category Management Manager (Former Employee) Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsWell compensated with opportunities for advancement. People are interested in hearding what you have to say and value opinions. The people in headquarters and the field are amazing and are passionate about their work.

ConsThe direction changes too often and it isn't a very nimle organization. Relationship management is critical for movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture needs help after all the restructures.

Worked for Unilever? Contribute to the Community!