Unilever

Unilever Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is fair but seems to be getting worse each year"
    in 53 reviews
  • "flexible working hours, ability to work from home, good staff benefits"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate"
    in 42 reviews
  • "decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good

Tax Accountant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgreat flex hours in summer

Conslarge bureaucratic company, too much PDP focus

Great company to work for, bad company to be a "contractor" for.

Trumbull, CT

ProsEmployees were treated very well. Often they had food brought in on the company, many workshops about health and wellness, company get-togethers and events. They were well paid, had good vacation time, and they were treated like human beings. Unilever employees had it good.

ConsWhen I was there, they had tried to pass me off as a "Contractor" while actually treating me like an employee. The state of Connecticut has very specific rules about what constitutes each type of worker, so make sure that you check into this if you are going to become an "Independent Contractor" for Unilever.

It's not bad insofar as you get paid well, but you are ineligible for a lot of the benefits that Unilever employees get, including unemployment - which is the biggest problem if they decide to terminate you at any point.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, for one I'd be careful classifying people as independent contractors and treating them like employees, but beyond that... My situation was a bit unique. I didn't have any room for growth as I was the sole member of the department I hailed from. I didn't have a lot of oversight because no one really understood what I did. It seems like management throughout the rest of the company spends a lot more time checking in on everyone.

Great company to develop your career: Come in and welcome on board!!!

Chemist (Current Employee)
    Englewood, NJ

ProsGreat benefits, Great salary, bunch of holidays, half Fridays off, training, Great team, Wonderful brands, upward career mobility, Interact with different departments , organized and moral values. the message is very clear: Come in and welcome at board!!!.
    Rewarding fast pace environment, do not mind to stay after hours, the deadlines are getting done and accomplished new lines of launches. Perfect place to grow and make friends around the world. Get the hint: Unilever is recruiting many L'Oreal employees due lost on their career path. Many are succeeding and moving forward in their positions.

ConsNothing to say. I 've worked for 5 international companies, None of them could satisfy my career development as Unilever does. Needless to say, Unilever recognizes talent and delivers results.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep doing an amazing job!!! Continue hiring great people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look beyond the surface

Brand Manager (Former Employee)
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsGlobal company with strong personal and food brands, brand building focus, brand management training, company attempts to deliver work-life balance and sustainability

Conspromotion beyond Director-level difficult, can get highly political, employee morale is generally low, location/commuting from NYC, zero HR assistance, challenge to move from Foods division to Personal Care division

Advice to Senior Managementfocus less on politics and focus more on employee development/retention

Great People and are passionate about making a difference

Category Management Manager (Former Employee)
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsWell compensated with opportunities for advancement. People are interested in hearding what you have to say and value opinions. The people in headquarters and the field are amazing and are passionate about their work.

ConsThe direction changes too often and it isn't a very nimle organization. Relationship management is critical for movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture needs help after all the restructures.

Like any workplace, has its pros and cons

Finance (Current Employee)
    Englewood, NJ

ProsFlexible work hours (summer hours)
    Great 401k match (almost 10%)
    Global resources/brands/opportunities
    A brand name that people recognize externally

ConsDepending on your function, politics can play a big role
    At the analyst/associate level, under-rewards the top performers relative to the mean
    Changes happen slowly b/c of org size (battleship, not rowboat)
    Can definitely feel like just a cog in a massive machine
    High turnover in recent years

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your top performers if you want them to stay (adopt the Netflix model)

Great marketing training but no senior marketing career advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ

ProsGreat Brands, great training and a high tolerance for risk taking when creating marketing and activation campaigns. Has become a very flat organization and therefore will allow for some independence in decision making for Associate Brand Managers, Brand Managers and Senior Brand Managers.

ConsWhile providing great marketing training at the junior levels, it is very, very hard to get promoted to a Marketing Director - you can be very talented and spend years at the Senior Brand Manager level. Most people end up leaving for Director jobs at other companies. There is no work life balance as although the company recognizes this is an issue, the senior leaders are not really changing their behavior to address it.

No Loyalty

ProsGreat benefits, hard working and great team members.

ConsThe work never ends!!!! The work life balance is non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not trust them. Smiling before and talking about you behind your back.

Amazing people, great work life balance, lots of opportunities

Associate Category Manager (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe people are amazing. They are happy to help you grow your skills and support you to succeed. The Cincinnati office has everything and more than you can imagine to be able to do your job. There is room to grow your career, you just have to be willing to move frequently. But they take care of you when you do move.

ConsCurrent U.S. CEO is trying to run the business like the European market. It is very different and can't be run like Europe.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote US employees to the top instead of forcing them out to bring in European executives.

Safety is a priority and individual experience through projects is achieved.

Safety Health & Environmental Intern (Former Employee)
    Covington, TN

ProsVery friendly, comfortable and progressive environment

ConsIt is very big and reaching certain departments may be difficult

Advice to Senior Managementnon

Worked for Unilever? Contribute to the Community!

Unilever Videos

Unilever – Why Work for Us?

About Unilever CREATING BETTER FUTURES MADE BY YOU About us We are the global company behind powerhouse brands such as Dove, Magnum and Surf. Our products are sold in more than 190 countries and are used by two… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unilever reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unilever CEO Paul Polman. All 663 reviews posted anonymously by Unilever employees.