Unilever Foodsolutions

Add Photos

Diego Bevilacqua

Care for any employee

I worked at Unilever Foodsolutions as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs an intern, my line manager cared about what I want to accomplish in my career path. The assigned work fit and developed my skill.
It's a great working environment with all the brand's product available at the rest areas.
There was also training provided.

ConsDaily and routine job is a bit boring. But with the passion for the industry or the brand, you will be well.

I used to love my job and adore this company...

Customer Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unilever Foodsolutions full-time

ProsGreat brands, talented co-workers (the ones that are left), benefits & 401(k). They are a socially responsible company and I appreciate that. I have up to date tools to complete my job functions. Great discounts on our products in our Company Store.

ConsFor the last 3 years, our leadership has tumbled. We are now under a microscope constantly. No pay raises for the majority of the employees. Stretching, complicated (and sometimes changing) KPI's. New Bonus structure. We are doing more, but we are not being compensated for it. Constantly changing focus. They are weeding out the middle-aged worker with about 20 years experience. Moral is at an all time low. Little encouragnment offered to employees. Such a different company than it once was. I feel bad for new hires when they realize that they stepped into an organized mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking about employee engagement and retention strategies.

Global organization with tremendous expertise and resources.

I worked at Unilever Foodsolutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEmployees have access to wonderful training/learning opportunities. Strong brands. High caliber employees.

ConsWork life balance can become skewed. Extremely hierarchal organization with many layers of approvals/bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstill more empowerment and accountability across all levels of the business.

What was once a great company is now a mess

Chain Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Unilever Foodsolutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits & compensation package. Strong brands. Emphasis on teams.

ConsBureaucracy. Sloth culture- nothing gets done. Decisions made that are counter to growth and common sense. Not sure this division of the company will exist in 18-24 months. Rumors abound that Unilever is exiting the food business and selling off the brands.

Roadblocks to successfully winning business make it more attractive to hang in the home office than pursue customers. And seriously, with a portfolio of over 500 items, why would they limit what we can sell based upon our job title?

Recent structural changes are disconcerting and morale is lower than Ive seen in more than 15 years.

Need to hire more people

Distributor Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unilever Foodsolutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat coworkers, great brands, perks, training

ConsLife work balance is messed up! They aren't replacing people as they leave and expect current employees to pick up the slack. There used to be five people in my current territory...now there is only one. They are also beginning to micro-manage every aspect of the sales cycle. They keep adding extra work and expect things not to fall through the cracks. Stress levels are extremely high among my peers and morale is low. Unilever wants to double in size by 2015 and I'm sure they will do it, but they are working their current employees to death.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people! Please reward us for hitting all of our targets as a company for the first time ever!!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Foodsolutions plays second fiddle to Unilever's main line of business

Associate Finance Management Intern (Current Employee)
Lisle, IL

I have been working at Unilever Foodsolutions as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Location, Chicago is a great city. Smaller office.

ConsThe Foodsolutions division is somewhat of an afterthought in the broader conversation at Unilever. Completely sales driven environment: sales staff superfluously pass out subsidies to make a sale, thereby diminishing any brand value of Unilever's products.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people in Operations who actually know what they're doing. Hire people in Sales with some backbone and willingness to stand up for the company, rather than continuously bending over for the customer.

Stretched but still hanging in there

Distributor Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unilever Foodsolutions

ProsTalented and dynamic co-workers, inspirational direct manger! Flexible schedule, good benefits, great training, industry leading brands, upbeat and positive work environment.

ConsWe have downsized to the point that we cannot possibly service our customers effectively. We have too many objectives, making it difficult to stay focused on building and maintaining customer relationships and growing our total business. It is very difficult to prioritize tasks because so much needs to be accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more employees. Your current employees are getting burnt out. We have many talented individuals who are loyal, but they are having trouble balancing life and work. They are not performing up to your standards because they are doing the job that three people used to do and moral is being compromised.

Outstanding employer, proud and blessed to be there

Chain Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unilever Foodsolutions

ProsVery forward thinking regarding human rights and sustainability
Very charitable oriented
Strongly support work life balance
Excellent benefits package
Fair salary. Not the best in the business but stability and benefits make up for this.
Very collaborative environment
Allow & encourage creative out of the box thinking
Best products on the market in most categories

ConsMost opportunities for advancement require relocation to Lisle.
Overcommunicate on some things, undercommunicate on others
Being part of a multinational compels change for the sake of compliance with no real advantages in some cases.
Bonus program is never constant and is becoming more difficult to attain. Sometimes we don't know criteria until final month of bonus period.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider our time constraints, make bonus more balanced and fair.

Otherwise, thank you for providing a great place to grow, learn, and work.

Good learning experience

Mumbai (India)

I worked at Unilever Foodsolutions as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat people and collegial environment

ConsMay not have a structured training program

Unilever Foodsolutions

I have been working at Unilever Foodsolutions full-time

Pros-early career responsibilities
-family oriented culture

Cons-limited progression opportunities
-sometimes family oriented culture can mean things can happen in less than professional ways

Advice to Senior Managementrule your people by knowing them, rather than by hearsay/grapevine, because you might end up being a puppet to the person feeding you the gossip.

Best way to know your people is to talk to them at an individual level, get to know them with an open-mind and no preconceived judgement. Then when you know them well, make the best use of their abilities to drive business success.

Worked for Unilever Foodsolutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unilever Foodsolutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unilever Foodsolutions CEO Diego Bevilacqua. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Unilever Foodsolutions employees.