Unilever

Updated October 27, 2014
3.6

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be excellent depending on which category you work on (in 69 reviews)

• Good working culture and Flexible working hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate (in 57 reviews)

• decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Assistant Brand Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

fast paced
    lots for work
    independent assignments
    more responsibilites

Cons

Sometimes you feel lost, less time for self

Lots of job losses to come in 2015 as Service Operation jobs to go to Poland or Germany to streamline business.

Current Employee - Service Operation Specialist in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Operation Specialist in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment, interesting products,working with big retailers

Cons

Management lost interest in company
    Lack of training and development
    Poor systems, computer system so behind companies such a Nestle, P&G.
    People are now purchasing Aldi own brands as quality and money saving. Shopping habits have changed and Unilever have not moved with the times, poor marketing both Tv and in store, the own brands are getting much better and Unilever becomes too expensive in a difficult climate. The future for unilever looks bleak for 2015 in UK and more redundancies in supply chain service operations as the firm streamline operation to Poland or Germany.

Start treating this company and staff better the Unilever brothers will be so upset if they came back today and saw how badly you treat staff and use tempoary staff. A company that once was going places but management today are not good with staff management and let the company down and the Unilever brothers and today's shareholders. It's time Unileve chief executive looks into the structure of management within Leatherhead, too many lazy unskilled managers letting the staff company and brand down. Poor training and lack of development. Once I enjoyed coming to work and now I dread it daily as we are treated badly and blamed for management mistakes, scapegoat the staff so they keep their jobs.

Shout to be heard

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great formal training structure, particularly for those on the graduate programme
    Exposure to working with world class brands
    Lovely offices, hair salon/gym etc
    Flexible working

Cons

Unless you work in a global role the office locations are not ideal
    Very bureaucratic organisation, getting simple projects off of the ground is a nightmare
    The kind of environment where big egos flourish, lots of very talented but more reserved people are regularly overlooked for recognition

Pay less lip service to corporate values, and focus on genuinely appreciating the people that work in your offices - especially when business isn't going as well as hoped.

Major Company Restructure, lots of confusion and lack of support.

Former Employee - Service Operation Specialist - Supply Chain in Leatherhead, England (UK)

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very clean and fresh environment, every 25 minutes a person in a purple shirt come round with a vacuum cleaning, nice building to work, good company shop, gym discunted restaurant and free Ben and Jerry ice cream bar Working environment is great, giving a free Ben & Jerry Ice-Cream is nice, but teaching me my job would have been even better.

Cons

Some of the management lost interested in the company, no structure for new starters, training is the worst in any company I have worked in, too much attention to managers providing pastries, cakes and food and lack of attention to training, dump you in it from day 3, made to feel lost in such a big company. Too much office politics and a lot of trying to blame other people when things go wrong, being rude about customers who bring n the money to keep Unilever going, constant moans from certain people who will stab you in the back if you make an error because you have not been trained, management often hide or refuse to deal.

Get some structure in your training and development and stop abusing temporary staff, Managers need to see training as a worthwhile investment and not as some managers have said to me at Unilever, training is time consuming and we are going through massive restructure, we agree our training is not up to a very good standard like it normally would be.