Unilever NV Reviews

3.2

Unilever NV CEO and Director Paul Polman
Paul Polman

A wonderful opportunity to learn production and plant safety regulations.

Current Employee - Forzen Production  in  Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Forzen Production in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at Unilever NV full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good money, competitive benifits, a healthy work environment.

Cons

Lack of stability, need of structure and less "sweeping things under the rug."

Your employees are extremely fortunate to work for you. Many do not display this by the lack of work ethic and inability to work well with coworkers. Racial slurrs were used and even physical altercations occurred that you guys no nothing about. Tell employees that gossip is unprofessional and strongly discouraged.

Why I Plan to Leave Unilever

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever NV full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great starting ground for hires off campus. Training is provided, strong brands to work on, systems are in place (not all work though) and you can get a strong foundation for your career here.

Cons

The workload is the biggest issue I hear people complaining about and that is one of my complaints as well. People work crazy hours, weekends, sleep at work or nearby hotels just to keep pace. Reason is the churn and fire drills and broken systems so you are always being reactive instead of proactive. And year after year of "headcount reductions" (another round was announced a month ago) so people are literally doing the work that 3 people used to do. After many years here, I realize that the company's values are no longer the same as mine and so I am looking outside and plan to leave shortly. I know many people who are also looking aggressively outside with plans to leave this year.

You are literally impacting people's mental and physical health because you drive for more and more. Your ambitions to succeed are not balanced with concern for employee welfare. Something will give and I am concerned the toll this is taking on my colleagues.

cmi

Former Employee - Director  in  Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Unilever NV

Pros

great ability to influence decisions

Cons

cramped work space-open ofifce setting

bring in some outside talent/thinking

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great resume builder, but not to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever NV

Pros

Unilever's greatest strengths are the people. For the most part, it is not as cutthroat as other companies, people are willing to help if you ask for it. The Benefits are great - including on premise cleaners, company store with GREAT prices, and a reimbursement for the gym. Also not too far in NJ so it is possible to live in NYC. They even have a shuttle service from the campus to the East and West sides.

Cons

HR. Totally incompetent. Makes it difficult not only to get paychecks should there be an issue, but you totally can't depend on them to offer ANY assistance in the job process. Half the time, promotions are based on who you know and not your skills. They don't even bother to get back to you and let you know you didn't get the job...

Very much an "good old boy" network particularly in Sales. Not as diverse as you would expect, particularly with respect to people of color in high-level positions.

Get rid of HR and take the money and give your employees raises.

A good place to launch a career - if you like competition

Current Employee - Product Development Chemist
    Current Employee - Product Development Chemist

I have been working at Unilever NV

Pros

Unilever is very competitive and they make good products. Their aim is to be number one in every product category they compete in. This means they are at the cutting edge and are continuingly advancing the "State of the Art". There are many Unilever locations throughout the US and abroad. I work with a very diverse group of individual and have spent a lot of time over seas on both business trips and on secondaments. However, there are fewer locations now than a couple years ago and the numbers of opportunities for secomdements is going down. Along with the closings, there have been quite a few lay-offs.

Cons

It is very big and it is easy to get lost

Pay more attention to how change is affecting your staff in terms of trust and career advancement

Great for Resume, Not for salary.

Former Employee - Production Manager  in  Hammond, IN
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Hammond, IN

I worked at Unilever NV

Pros

The best reason to work for Unilever is to get a solid multinational company on your resume. You will also have access to a CPG machine and can understand how the supply chain interacts with brand. If you are in a corporate function you will be working in very nice areas (Connecticut, Chicago, Northern Jersey). If you are in a manufacturing function you will have access to a job board that can take you all over the country, gaining experience in manufacturing foods and personal care products. You will have access to union environments as well as nonunion. It is also neat to be able to reveal some of what is behind the curtain on some of their favorite products.

Cons

Work many hours. In some cases, advancement is given to people with seniority and not skill. There are a lot of people there that continue to be employed because there isn't enough time for managers to work up a dossier on how bad their people are.

Figure out how to get to market first, instead of following P&G all day. But you know this. Maybe you can hire better people and pay them more to stay!

Nice place to work and to start your career.

I worked at Unilever NV full-time

Pros

- Positive, young, hard working people
    - Many opportunities
    - Much responsibility
    - Approachable people

Cons

- Politics on the work floor
    - Because of high work load sometimes people would forward emails to their colleagues whereas they knew they weren't able to solve the problem either, just to get it off their plate
    - Very Dutch instead of international
    - People weren't very critical towards their own company, always loved everything about it

I think a slightly lower work load will contribute to better decision taking as people will have time to look at the bigger picture instead being indulged by daily work.

professional, international, global

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rotterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Unilever NV as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Exciting brands, smart and committed people

Cons

Used to be quite political. Currently: hard driving.

great company

I have been working at Unilever NV

Pros

Great working place
    good career opportunities
    chance to learn a lot

Cons

high pressure to deliver
    difficutlies balancing personal/work

focus on balancing personal & working life

Category Analyst

I worked at Unilever NV

Pros

A very dynamic company with lots of acquisitions and new innovative products

Cons

not well structured departments
    some departments are not fully utiliized

better management and alignment from the top to have a better view of the role of the different departments, to better utilize the talent

Worked for Unilever NV? Contribute to the Community!