Unilever NV

Be The First To
Add Photos

Unilever NV CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

A wonderful opportunity to learn production and plant safety regulations.

Forzen Production (Current Employee)
Owensboro, KY

I have been working at Unilever NV full-time for more than a year

ProsGood money, competitive benifits, a healthy work environment.

ConsLack of stability, need of structure and less "sweeping things under the rug."

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are extremely fortunate to work for you. Many do not display this by the lack of work ethic and inability to work well with coworkers. Racial slurrs were used and even physical altercations occurred that you guys no nothing about. Tell employees that gossip is unprofessional and strongly discouraged.

Why I Plan to Leave Unilever

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever NV full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat starting ground for hires off campus. Training is provided, strong brands to work on, systems are in place (not all work though) and you can get a strong foundation for your career here.

ConsThe workload is the biggest issue I hear people complaining about and that is one of my complaints as well. People work crazy hours, weekends, sleep at work or nearby hotels just to keep pace. Reason is the churn and fire drills and broken systems so you are always being reactive instead of proactive. And year after year of "headcount reductions" (another round was announced a month ago) so people are literally doing the work that 3 people used to do. After many years here, I realize that the company's values are no longer the same as mine and so I am looking outside and plan to leave shortly. I know many people who are also looking aggressively outside with plans to leave this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are literally impacting people's mental and physical health because you drive for more and more. Your ambitions to succeed are not balanced with concern for employee welfare. Something will give and I am concerned the toll this is taking on my colleagues.

cmi

Director (Former Employee)
Englewood, NJ

I worked at Unilever NV

Prosgreat ability to influence decisions

Conscramped work space-open ofifce setting

Advice to Senior Managementbring in some outside talent/thinking

Great resume builder, but not to grow

Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever NV

ProsUnilever's greatest strengths are the people. For the most part, it is not as cutthroat as other companies, people are willing to help if you ask for it. The Benefits are great - including on premise cleaners, company store with GREAT prices, and a reimbursement for the gym. Also not too far in NJ so it is possible to live in NYC. They even have a shuttle service from the campus to the East and West sides.

ConsHR. Totally incompetent. Makes it difficult not only to get paychecks should there be an issue, but you totally can't depend on them to offer ANY assistance in the job process. Half the time, promotions are based on who you know and not your skills. They don't even bother to get back to you and let you know you didn't get the job...

Very much an "good old boy" network particularly in Sales. Not as diverse as you would expect, particularly with respect to people of color in high-level positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of HR and take the money and give your employees raises.

Great for Resume, Not for salary.

Production Manager (Former Employee)
Hammond, IN

I worked at Unilever NV

ProsThe best reason to work for Unilever is to get a solid multinational company on your resume. You will also have access to a CPG machine and can understand how the supply chain interacts with brand. If you are in a corporate function you will be working in very nice areas (Connecticut, Chicago, Northern Jersey). If you are in a manufacturing function you will have access to a job board that can take you all over the country, gaining experience in manufacturing foods and personal care products. You will have access to union environments as well as nonunion. It is also neat to be able to reveal some of what is behind the curtain on some of their favorite products.

ConsWork many hours. In some cases, advancement is given to people with seniority and not skill. There are a lot of people there that continue to be employed because there isn't enough time for managers to work up a dossier on how bad their people are.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to get to market first, instead of following P&G all day. But you know this. Maybe you can hire better people and pay them more to stay!

A good place to launch a career - if you like competition

Product Development Chemist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unilever NV

ProsUnilever is very competitive and they make good products. Their aim is to be number one in every product category they compete in. This means they are at the cutting edge and are continuingly advancing the "State of the Art". There are many Unilever locations throughout the US and abroad. I work with a very diverse group of individual and have spent a lot of time over seas on both business trips and on secondaments. However, there are fewer locations now than a couple years ago and the numbers of opportunities for secomdements is going down. Along with the closings, there have been quite a few lay-offs.

ConsIt is very big and it is easy to get lost

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to how change is affecting your staff in terms of trust and career advancement

Nice place to work and to start your career.

I worked at Unilever NV full-time

Pros- Positive, young, hard working people
- Many opportunities
- Much responsibility
- Approachable people

Cons- Politics on the work floor
- Because of high work load sometimes people would forward emails to their colleagues whereas they knew they weren't able to solve the problem either, just to get it off their plate
- Very Dutch instead of international
- People weren't very critical towards their own company, always loved everything about it

Advice to Senior ManagementI think a slightly lower work load will contribute to better decision taking as people will have time to look at the bigger picture instead being indulged by daily work.

professional, international, global

Rotterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at Unilever NV as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsExciting brands, smart and committed people

ConsUsed to be quite political. Currently: hard driving.

great company

difficutlies balancing personal/work

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on balancing personal & working life

Category Analyst

I worked at Unilever NV

ProsA very dynamic company with lots of acquisitions and new innovative products

Consnot well structured departments
some departments are not fully utiliized

Advice to Senior Managementbetter management and alignment from the top to have a better view of the role of the different departments, to better utilize the talent

Worked for Unilever NV? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unilever NV reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Unilever NV CEO Paul Polman. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Unilever NV employees.