Unilever

Updated December 16, 2014
3.6

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be excellent depending on which category you work on (in 69 reviews)

• Good working culture and Flexible working hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate (in 57 reviews)

• decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Being Myself Everyday!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its an organization that pushes you to learn & grow every single day, as you step into BIG Meaty jobs very early in your career. There is never a dull moment and I have always felt challenged with exciting roles and new responsibility. To add to the wonderful journey, I have always been blessed with mentors who genuinely care for me and my development. Leaders take it upon themselves to build more leaders, and that creates a wonderful virtuous cycle! The best thing about Unilever is that it lets me be Me, every day.. and the people who surround me are all so bright, genuine and driven that it makes my journey even more inspiring and enjoyable!

Cons

Because we are large and spread across the world, we have to work on ensuring we remain simple.

Amazing training and growth opportunities

Current Employee - Unilever Analyst in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Unilever Analyst in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The organization puts development and performance both as priorities, so the training programs are great quality and encouraged by management. There is also exposure to international markets and cross-functional development. Compensation is competitive but could be better. Benefits are great, allowing for employees to purchase discounted shares to UL stock.

Cons

There is a lot of bureaucracy and decisions take time to execute, however there is work being done to simplify processes. Work life balance is not great, but the simplification work down the line looks promising for positive changes.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, company values, compensation, agile workplace, casual atmosphere. Very much work hard, play hard place.

Cons

A lot of responsibility quickly, and heavy workload

Great company, great people

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Unilever as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internship program is highly beneficial. The program they run is real work, real experiences. They give tremendous housing for interns and give the best care for them possible. As in intern, I got to work directly with one of the directors on a project and was treated as a full time employee. I value the experience I gained from that program. Unilever values talent, great people working for them, and a better world. All around great company to work for.

Cons

I have no cons for this.

Just like corporate america

Current Employee - Supply Planner in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Supply Planner in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at Unilever

Pros

agile working, people, time flexibility

Cons

lots of young managers with no people skills/experience, advancing opportunities are all subjective

look for value, and try to understand if management is really effective directly from the employees

Good work experience, incredibly skewed experiences across offices

I worked at Unilever

Pros

Great work experience, had a chance to learn a lot via hands-on projects and the like.

Cons

Main office in Englewood cliffs gets far better treatment than the remote offices in terms of amenities, employee diversity, team support, etc.

Disorganized HR organization, no onboarding

Current Employee - Human Resources Person
    Current Employee - Human Resources Person

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Agile, flexible work, nice campus

Cons

flat organization, poor senior management

employee onboarding necessary

Great culture held back by bureaucratic domestic business and stagnant middle management

Current Employee - Customer Business Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Business Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Culture, Job opportunities, Top Employer Brand in most countries

Cons

Bureaucracy, red-tape, not open to new ideas

Great company to work for overall

Current Employee - Procurement Analyst in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Procurement Analyst in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company values, work-life balance, flexible work schedules and comprehensive medical benefits. Lots of opportunities for movement within different departments. Onsite gym and vitality trail around the campus.

Cons

Compensation could be higher, internal employees seem to get less pay for the same rolls versus an outside hire. The yearly increase is very low and not in line with inflation. There is a lot politics and upper management takes too long to make decisions.

Hindsight is 20/20 would not have joined the organization if I knew what I know now but it is all a learning experience.

Current Employee - Associate Finance Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Finance Manager in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some really great but over-worked people in the organization.

Cons

1) There is no work-life balance here. Working early in the morning, through lunch, into the night, at night, and on weekends on a regular basis is the norm. While some areas fortunately do not reap these benefits many unfortunately do. The only upside is least some of these times are working from home but when you are working at 1 am at home that is the least of your problems.
    2) Meetings on top of meetings. There are meetings to discuss meetings many of which do not add any value at all.
    3) With all the re-organization of late roles have become more "challenging and competitive" basically taking on the responsibility of the reformed organization to see who best can manage the responsibility of 4-5 roles in 1.
    4) Individuals have no say as to where they can go in the organization it is decided by management.

Numerous talented employees have been leaving on their own accord and management keeps coming back asking why. When value-added work is being completed and individuals have more than a modicum of life outside of work they would be happy to stay.